Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Bought 6 gallons of apple juice from BJs yesterday for $21. Wish me luck on my first cider!

Remember to make sure you have CO2 so you don't mess up party plans with unfulfilled promises of gallons of cider because you didn't notice until 2 hours before the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I just made a gallon of Cider on Thursday. I pitched ECY20 Bug County.

Wish me luck on my first funky cider!

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Lets get some photos in here.
Rye saison pellicle before poking a hole in it to taste. It's been bulk aging for about 4 weeks and needs more time I think.

First pint of pecan porter. Made this with 1 lb of crushed roasted pecans in the mash and another pound in the boil. The pecans are from my sister's trees in Texas. Tastes incredible.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Very important test for homebrewers to take

http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/are-you-beer-snob-1743

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

No one else bother to click this, it's fuckin stupid.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

withak posted:

No one else bother to click this, it's fuckin stupid.

Please follow this advice. I did not, and I regret it deeply.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Sorry guys, shamed my brewing family

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah I checked off the first answer, then none of the others applied to me, so , now I feel like an inferior brewer.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Well I felt silly yesterday. Despite smacking the drat thing for about an hour, when I went to pour in the smack pack the nutrient packet didn't open! Cracked the nutrient packet open and poured it in too and fortunately it's been off like a rocket since this morning.

Is there some sort of secret to these? Or am I just a moron :v:

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Axe Master posted:

Well I felt silly yesterday. Despite smacking the drat thing for about an hour, when I went to pour in the smack pack the nutrient packet didn't open! Cracked the nutrient packet open and poured it in too and fortunately it's been off like a rocket since this morning.

There's no secret, just one great big whack should do it. If you squeeze the packet you can feel whether the nutrient pack is intact. Almost certainly won't affect your beer either way though

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Axe Master posted:

My home brew shop showed me a trick that I use. Shake the pack to get the nutrient pack down to one of the corners so you can feel it. Then hold it there and lay the pack flat on the counter. Put your palm on the nutrients and put your weight into it and it will pop.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Economic Sinkhole posted:

First pint of pecan porter. Made this with 1 lb of crushed roasted pecans in the mash and another pound in the boil. The pecans are from my sister's trees in Texas. Tastes incredible.

How did you get that head with so many nuts?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

DontAskKant posted:

:v:

If you gotta ask...

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
My Santee's box should arrive tomorrow. I wish I could have included more, but I'm still waiting on some supplies to finish the batches I have going now.

Speaking of which: what the gently caress, Northern Brewer? I ordered a bunch of poo poo from you last week, and I just got an order confirmation about 10 minutes ago!

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 20, 2015

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Lets get some photos in here.
Rye saison pellicle before poking a hole in it to taste. It's been bulk aging for about 4 weeks and needs more time I think.

That looks like my rye saison. Iirc mine was something like 65% Belgian Pilsner, 25% unmalted rye, and 10% clear candi syrup. I fermented it with a mix of the yeast bay's saison blend and one of their brett blends (I'm at work and can't remember but Beersel or Brussels sounds right, it was super funky)

Absolutely fantastic beer.

Also I'm curious as to fruit in beers. Wouldn't it go sour with the yeast or am I missing something here?

Also that pecan porter, tell me your secrets! That sounds amazing

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Also my rye saison had a mad pellicle going. It ruled and I drank the gently caress out of it. It finished at 6.5% but I'd have liked more dryness. I have a big jar of trub from it that I mixed in with that and yeast from my iipa, the vermont ale strain, basically to make a farmhouse IPA. Once it funks up enough I'll dry hop it

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

McSpergin posted:

Also that pecan porter, tell me your secrets! That sounds amazing

Here's the recipe
code:
Recipe: Robust Pecan Porter
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 41.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
12 lbs                Ashburne Mild Malt (5.3 SRM)             Grain         2        73.8 %        
1 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         3        6.2 %         
1 lbs                 Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)             Grain         4        6.2 %         
1 lbs                 Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                  Grain         5        6.2 %         
12.0 oz               Chocolate Malt (456.0 SRM)               Grain         6        4.6 %         
8.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         7        3.1 %         
1.00 lb               Pecans Roasted (Mash 60.0 mins)          Other         8        -             
2.50 oz               Fuggle US [6.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           9        44.9 IBUs     
1.50 oz               Fuggle US [6.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min       Hop           10       13.4 IBUs     
1.00 lb               Pecans Roasted (Boil 10.0 mins)          Other         11       -             
2.00 oz               Fuggle US [6.30 %] - Boil 0.0 min        Hop           12       0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49  Yeast         13       -             
My sister roasted the nuts so I have no details there. I ran them through the food processor until they were crushed up pretty fine. 1 lb went in the mash and 1 went in the boil in a muslin bag, provoking many "hot nut sack" jokes. Mashed at 152 for 60 mins. Fermented at 68F for 2 weeks then kegged and carbed. It finished up at 1.018. I think the 0 minute hop addition wasn't necessary. We prepped a tincture of pecans and bourbon but didn't end up needing it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Hey, so I'm getting ready to put a lambic on cherries, and I was planning on getting 10? Or so lbs of frozen cherries from Costco, does that sound like a reasonable amount for 5 gallons?

What about getting cherry juice from trader joes? Is that something that is worth considering? If so, how much would I use? Maybe a half gallon?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

A guy I know has really lovely water but he swears that bringing the water to boil for 15 minutes with a campden tab then cold crashing overnight and taking everything but the bottom inch works for him. He says he sees particles in the bottom of the vessel after doing this but I don't know if he's full of crap. I just add the campden tab directly to my brewing water and it works fine.

Doing that would precipitate some of the carbonates in hard water, so if he has high magnesium especially it could really improve the flavor. Unfortunately it takes calcium out of solution too but you can fix that.

DontAskKant posted:

seriously, pecans are like 2/3 fat by weight. I'd have expected no head and a slick of creamy looking fat on top.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

So here's my plan for my Dubbel on Saturday - I'm feeling abit iffy about the Special B and wondering if I should just go with a Medium Dark Crytal malt instead. Thoughts?

code:
Batch Size: 40.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.70 kg               Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)            Grain         1        51.7 %        
2.95 kg               Munich (Dingemans) (5.5 SRM)             Grain         2        26.7 %        
0.95 kg               Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM)        Grain         3        8.6 %         
0.48 kg               Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM)     Grain         4        4.4 %         
0.95 kg               Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM)                 Sugar         5        8.6 %         
65.00 g               Northern Brewer [7.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop           6        25.5 IBUs     
    pkg               Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500)                      7    

bengy81 posted:

Hey, so I'm getting ready to put a lambic on cherries, and I was planning on getting 10? Or so lbs of frozen cherries from Costco, does that sound like a reasonable amount for 5 gallons?

What about getting cherry juice from trader joes? Is that something that is worth considering? If so, how much would I use? Maybe a half gallon?
I don't know about juice but 10-12lb of cherries is a good amount to aim for. Personally though try and get atleast some sour cherries to balance out the sweet cherries. :)

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Fluo posted:

So here's my plan for my Dubbel on Saturday - I'm feeling abit iffy about the Special B and wondering if I should just go with a Medium Dark Crytal malt instead. Thoughts?

code:
Batch Size: 40.00 l   
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5.70 kg               Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM)            Grain         1        51.7 %        
2.95 kg               Munich (Dingemans) (5.5 SRM)             Grain         2        26.7 %        
0.95 kg               Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM)        Grain         3        8.6 %         
0.48 kg               Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM)     Grain         4        4.4 %         
0.95 kg               Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM)                 Sugar         5        8.6 %         
65.00 g               Northern Brewer [7.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop           6        25.5 IBUs     
    pkg               Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500)                      7    

I don't know about juice but 10-12lb of cherries is a good amount to aim for. Personally though try and get atleast some sour cherries to balance out the sweet cherries. :)

Definitely special b man, makes a difference.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

wildfire1 posted:

Definitely special b man, makes a difference.

Ok cheers, just wanted to double check since I've never used that much Special B before so just wanted to check. Thanks! :beerpal:

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

poo poo, that is a lot of Special B...

This is my recipe which turned out awesome:
code:
4000 g Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 69.0 % 
400 g Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 6.9 % 
250 g Aromatic Malt (51.2 EBC) Grain 3 4.3 % 
250 g Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 % 
250 g Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 5 4.3 % 
650 g Dark Candi Syrup 11.2%
e: 19L batch. 1.062 OG
Since you're missing Dark Candi Syrup (pretty essential IMO) your recipe might be trying to get the dark flavours from the Spec B? IDK.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
J3rkstore, if you see this before you get home, be careful with that bag. I grabbed it on the way, and kinda underestimated how much it would hold, so the handles(and bag in general) are entirely inadequate for what I put in there.

Also, god drat you and your 65f! It was 23f when I left my house this morning!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Hey guys, I haven't brewed in about 2 months...partly because busy with holidays, weddings, moving, etc...but also because I haven't been feeling it. I think I am stuck in my own habits of what I brew. Mostly saisons, IPAs, and my 1 Mild recipe. Don't get me wrong, I love my beers, but I think I need a change of pace.
Any recipe recommendations? Or, more generically, what do you do when you need to change it up?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Drop the Hops and make some Malty beers! I'm kind of going in the opposite direction, having made a bunch of malty beers and now adding more hoppy ones to my to brew list (but I still want to make a dubbel).

My brown Ale came out really good
Units for 3 gallons @ 65% efficiency:
6 Pounds - Vienna Malt
.8 Pounds - Brown Malt
.5 pounds - Victory Malt
.25 Pounds - Crystal 120

.5 oz Ahtanum @50
.5 oz UK Goldings @50
.5 oz Ahtanum @5
.5 oz UK Goldings @ 5

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.012
Mangrove Jacks M03 (Newcastle dark ale)

Edit: you could also do some ciders and meads if you don't already. They can sit around for weeks that you don't feel like bottling or what have you, so thier long aging may benefit you while you get your groove back.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

wildfire1 posted:

poo poo, that is a lot of Special B...

This is my recipe which turned out awesome:
code:
4000 g Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 69.0 % 
400 g Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 2 6.9 % 
250 g Aromatic Malt (51.2 EBC) Grain 3 4.3 % 
250 g Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 4 4.3 % 
250 g Special B Malt (354.6 EBC) Grain 5 4.3 % 
650 g Dark Candi Syrup 11.2%
e: 19L batch. 1.062 OG
Since you're missing Dark Candi Syrup (pretty essential IMO) your recipe might be trying to get the dark flavours from the Spec B? IDK.

It was from a recipe where they called for Medium-Dark crystal/caramel Belgian malt, so went "Well that's Special B Malt right". Was just checking in here if I should use that or just a medium dark british crystal (tried and tested recipe but idk what ' any Belgian medium - dark crystal' is). I'll try your recipe next time. :) But I'm using semirefined sugar because the recipe calls for it which I'm happy with. Will compare it with your recipe sometime when I get around to brewing a dubbel again!

quote:

Special B is produced in the same way as other Belgian caramel malts except that it undergoes a second roasting. Its profile is that of a cross between dark caramel malt and medium roasted malt. The resultant distinctive flavour and aroma enhances many Belgian classics, but could also add interesting flavours to British ales, especially milds, brown ales etc. An interesting usage is to blend Rauchmalz with Special B (60/40) to emulate the flavour of the traditional English brown malt, traditionally kilned over open fires.

Colour 250 - 300 EBC; Maximum percentage 10%

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 20, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ChiTownEddie posted:

Hey guys, I haven't brewed in about 2 months...partly because busy with holidays, weddings, moving, etc...but also because I haven't been feeling it. I think I am stuck in my own habits of what I brew. Mostly saisons, IPAs, and my 1 Mild recipe. Don't get me wrong, I love my beers, but I think I need a change of pace.
Any recipe recommendations? Or, more generically, what do you do when you need to change it up?

When I need a change up after doing too many porters stouts and such or the other end doing too many pale ales, IPAs and saisons I just switch to the other end. Going from hoppy to malty etc. Maybe try go for a porter or stouts? If you want to spice it up a bit cold extract coffee, 270-300grams ground coffee in a sanitized jar or vacuum sealed bag with 680ml of old filtered water for 24hours sacking it up every now and again in the fridge, when you transfer to keg or bottling bucket the next day add it at the bottom and transfer ontop [ofcourse filter out the ground coffee with fresh press or whatever etc]

I'm brewed a handful of porters and stouts but still tweaking my perfect recipe so don't feel I can recommend you any yet. Give it 6 months and I can!

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

bengy81 posted:

I put 5 gallons on 18 lbs sour cherries I picked in the summer. I brewed it and started fermentation last February and added the cherries in July. I bottled it in December only cause I was moving across the state. Anyway it's awesome sour, funky, and strong cherry flavor almost like cherry pie.

I had heard using non sour cherries comes out tasting more like cherry caugh syrup, at least with meads and ciders .

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Or, more generically, what do you do when you need to change it up?

Honestly, one of the best things I have found to do when I feel in a rut is to go have a beer with other beer nerds and try something they love. They will undoubtedly talk about why they love it, and there's usually something I can love about it also. Hell, after years of holding out, I finally have a sour beer going just because a buddy of mine got me excited about it.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

ChiTownEddie posted:

If you haven't read Mosher's Radical Brewing, this is exactly what you need if you are anything like me. I was in a rut just like you, and this inspired me.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

After brewing 19L batches every week since August I'm getting into a funk. Can't shake the yeastiness in our beer (we don't have anything to cool so cold crashing isn't an option) and for some reason we're still getting gushers on simple 5% abv beers primed to 1.8 volumes and left to ferment for a month. We also have a long standing infection that's annoying that we can't shake without exchanging out our old plastic poo poo.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Have you checked your valves?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jo3sh posted:

Honestly, one of the best things I have found to do when I feel in a rut is to go have a beer with other beer nerds and try something they love. They will undoubtedly talk about why they love it, and there's usually something I can love about it also. Hell, after years of holding out, I finally have a sour beer going just because a buddy of mine got me excited about it.

Amazing advice as always Jo3sh. This is how I got really into smoked beers awhile ago! :)

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

DontAskKant posted:

After brewing 19L batches every week since August I'm getting into a funk. Can't shake the yeastiness in our beer (we don't have anything to cool so cold crashing isn't an option) and for some reason we're still getting gushers on simple 5% abv beers primed to 1.8 volumes and left to ferment for a month. We also have a long standing infection that's annoying that we can't shake without exchanging out our old plastic poo poo.

if you can't cold crash use gelatin

replace your buckets if you can

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Have you checked your valves?

The plastic spigot on a bottling bucket can be pulled apart for cleaning too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Jacobey000 posted:

if you can't cold crash use gelatin

replace your buckets if you can

I had always seen gelatin in combination with cold crashing. Anything different if not cold crashing or same protocol?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

DontAskKant posted:

I had always seen gelatin in combination with cold crashing. Anything different if not cold crashing or same protocol?

A quick search and it seems it's the same - dump and let sit for a week or two.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

gently caress yes, a co-worker gave me his used-once turkey fryer for free. No more loving stovetop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

BLARGHLE posted:

J3rkstore, if you see this before you get home, be careful with that bag. I grabbed it on the way, and kinda underestimated how much it would hold, so the handles(and bag in general) are entirely inadequate for what I put in there.

Also, god drat you and your 65f! It was 23f when I left my house this morning!

Thank you BLARGHLE for the hand-delivered SS gift, that's quite a trip so I hope you had some other reason to drive that far!

My wife unfortunately wouldn't/didn't see this post and ripped one of the handles clean off the bag but there were no casualties.

It looks like the 'dillo and I have some work to do: