Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Diviance posted:

According to this, Windows 8/8.1 does perform defrag on SSD's when System Restore is enabled.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

TLDR; For this reason, supposedly...

"Additionally, there is a maximum level of fragmentation that the file system can handle. Fragmentation has long been considered as primarily a performance issue with traditional hard drives. When a disk gets fragmented, a singular file can exist in pieces in different locations on a physical drive. That physical drive then needs to seek around collecting pieces of the file and that takes extra time.

This kind of fragmentation still happens on SSDs, even though their performance characteristics are very different. The file systems metadata keeps track of fragments and can only keep track of so many. Defragmentation in cases like this is not only useful, but absolutely needed."

Huh. The more you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

wooger posted:

I just won a Thinkpad x230 on ebay. Its coming with a 320GB HDD which I might remove: It has mSATA slot.

I'm looking at a 500GB Samsung 840 Evo, would it make any difference to performance if I get an mSATA vs normal SATA version? Price is pretty similar.

Hope I'm reading the OP right that the 840 evo firmware bug is fixed now.

I'm thinking the 2.5" is more likely to be useable in a future machine, whereas the mSATA will let me keep a 2nd disk for data.

Edit: I run Linux exclusively, so if there's any downside to this drive when not using windows let me know. Happy to consider alternatives.

Firmware bug should be fixed. To be sure in case you get an old drive from the warehouse, there's a performance restoration tool for the 840 EVO from Samsung's website that takes a few minutes to run if it detects the old firmware on your drive. It may be easiest to run the windows version initially when you get the laptop, but there's also a linux version (considering your drive will be new and with no data on it, just installing the new firmware itself would probably be fine in that case anyway).

You can get the mx100, but Crucial's support is apparently poo poo if something ends up being wrong with it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Diviance posted:

According to this, Windows 8/8.1 does perform defrag on SSD's when System Restore is enabled.

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealAndCompleteStoryDoesWindowsDefragmentYourSSD.aspx

TLDR; For this reason, supposedly...

"Additionally, there is a maximum level of fragmentation that the file system can handle. Fragmentation has long been considered as primarily a performance issue with traditional hard drives. When a disk gets fragmented, a singular file can exist in pieces in different locations on a physical drive. That physical drive then needs to seek around collecting pieces of the file and that takes extra time.

This kind of fragmentation still happens on SSDs, even though their performance characteristics are very different. The file systems metadata keeps track of fragments and can only keep track of so many. Defragmentation in cases like this is not only useful, but absolutely needed."

Shouldn't this be automatically handled by the wear leveling algorithms? Bits are going to be constantly shuffled no matter what you do, so the wear leveling should be designed to prevent excessive fragmentation.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Don Lapre posted:

Windows 7 and Windows 8 both do trim instead of defrag on ssd's.

Is TRIM something you have to do manually like a defrag? I thought it was a background feature?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Megasabin posted:

Is TRIM something you have to do manually like a defrag? I thought it was a background feature?

Defrags are scheduled to run in the background by default in Windows 7/8. If the system detects a drive as being a SSD, it will run a TRIM pass instead.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

isndl posted:

Shouldn't this be automatically handled by the wear leveling algorithms? Bits are going to be constantly shuffled no matter what you do, so the wear leveling should be designed to prevent excessive fragmentation.

That's not the issue here. The SSD controller can transparently move data anywhere it likes, for reasons such as compression, security, and wear-leveling. However, at a software filesystem level, every fragment of each file needs to have its address (and sequence, and size) recorded. By design, this number of fragments [at least in NTFS, which is what we care about for a Windows system] has a maximum value. A quick search suggests to me that the maximum fragment count is extremely large: in the neighborhood of 2^32 - 1 (about 4.29 billion) fragments per NTFS directory. The filesystem can no longer address additional fragments after that point, which means that the directory cannot write additional data until files are removed from it.

Another point raised by the article is that the access of meta-data in file systems is generally quite slow, and excessive fragmentation WILL reduce performance, because the list of fragment pointers must be determined before the actual file data can be retrieved. This is not likely to be an issue for home users, but it is definitely an issue when scanning directories with hundreds of thousands or millions of files (or more!). It is also intuitive as well: to access a file, the system needs to access both the file data and the metadata. Reducing the amount of metadata reduces the total amount of I/O, which naturally should improve read performance.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don Lapre posted:

Well there ya go

I still call bullshit. You can't 'line up' data on an SSD, and that article doesn't even say what it's supposedly doing. SSD's don't have a seek penalty like physical drives. Other things can be done to optimize performance but fragmentation in the traditional sense is not one of them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

No good SSD sales lately...

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Bob Morales posted:

I still call bullshit. You can't 'line up' data on an SSD, and that article doesn't even say what it's supposedly doing. SSD's don't have a seek penalty like physical drives. Other things can be done to optimize performance but fragmentation in the traditional sense is not one of them.

You can call bullshit all you like, but the guy works for Microsoft and supposedly that info comes straight from developers working on Windows itself.

Whether it is actually true or not I cannot say.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Diviance posted:

You can call bullshit all you like, but the guy works for Microsoft and supposedly that info comes straight from developers working on Windows itself.
It's true in the sense that an NTFS-specific set of routines are being performed, but it is in no way near the traditional disk fragmentation people would think it is. It appears the same thing would need to be done on a platter drive.

"Well it's called an oil change but we're not really changing the oil we're just warming the oil up. But we still call it an oil change because we used to do them."

:iiaca:

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

It's true in the sense that an NTFS-specific set of routines are being performed, but it is in no way near the traditional disk fragmentation people would think it is. It appears the same thing would need to be done on a platter drive.

"Well it's called an oil change but we're not really changing the oil we're just warming the oil up. But we still call it an oil change because we used to do them."

:iiaca:

I couldn't honestly say one way or the other. I just posted it because it seemed relevant to what was being asked at the time.

I am curious if how things will work on ReFS if it actually does become a standard filesystem, bootable and all, in Windows 10.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Diviance posted:

I couldn't honestly say one way or the other. I just posted it because it seemed relevant to what was being asked at the time.

I am curious if how things will work on ReFS if it actually does become a standard filesystem, bootable and all, in Windows 10.

Wasn't WinFS going to come with XP? I just see NTFS lasting for-ev-er.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bob Morales posted:

No, longhorn.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

HalloKitty posted:

No, longhorn.

WinFS worked on xp as well

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-xp/surprise-microsoft-ships-winfs-beta-1

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, WinFS didn't go so well. Maybe ReFS will. NTFS needs to die someday and make way for an improved file system.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

blowfish posted:

You can get the mx100, but Crucial's support is apparently poo poo if something ends up being wrong with it.

Odd, I've always found them good in the Uk with ram / USB stick replacements.

I was considering an M500 mSATA in fact due to price / Anandtech guide. There appear to be no deals on 500GB ssds right now in the UK.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

isndl posted:

Defrags are scheduled to run in the background by default in Windows 7/8. If the system detects a drive as being a SSD, it will run a TRIM pass instead.

Where in windows can you see the options for this? Somewhere in control panel?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Bob Morales posted:

There are two levels of fragmentation going on, NAND fragmentation (which the controller handles) and LBA/filesystem fragmentation. What's going on here is that the hardware-agnostic way the filesystem handles fragmentation is itself becoming the bottleneck, adding extra I/O operations and limitations to the complexity of the LBA layout regardless of what the hardware could or could not handle.

Megasabin posted:

Where in windows can you see the options for this? Somewhere in control panel?

It's part of the standard Defrag tool. I think the TRIM pass is Win8 and Win10 only.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The original question re: fragmentation was, roughly speaking, whether you should run "defrag everything now" tools on a SSD, and the answer to that question is still no.

Also, this extreme fragmentation where the OS must clean it up to avoid running into filesystem data structure limits seems likely to be the sort of thing that will only be observed if you're running a giant data center. One with a lot of frequent, random writes, and where said writes often extend the length of a file (this is how you get lots of fragments).

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

BobHoward posted:

The original question re: fragmentation was, roughly speaking, whether you should run "defrag everything now" tools on a SSD, and the answer to that question is still no.

Also, this extreme fragmentation where the OS must clean it up to avoid running into filesystem data structure limits seems likely to be the sort of thing that will only be observed if you're running a giant data center. One with a lot of frequent, random writes, and where said writes often extend the length of a file (this is how you get lots of fragments).

If you're running a giant data center and using NTFS, god help you. You're more likely to be using an ext variant, zfs or something else that has mostly put this issue to bed in TYOOL 2015.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I understand that overprovisioning is no longer necessary, but there were quite a few times I used about 95%+ space on my HDD before freeing up space again. Recently, I've had it consistently at 80%+ capacity. Should I overprovision by 20% anyway or not?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Factory Factory posted:

There are two levels of fragmentation going on, NAND fragmentation (which the controller handles) and LBA/filesystem fragmentation. What's going on here is that the hardware-agnostic way the filesystem handles fragmentation is itself becoming the bottleneck, adding extra I/O operations and limitations to the complexity of the LBA layout regardless of what the hardware could or could not handle.

It's part of the standard Defrag tool. I think the TRIM pass is Win8 and Win10 only.

If I have Windows 7 how would I regularly run TRIM on my drives then?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Last week I found my old Intel X-25m G2 and put it in my even older Lenovo R61i, I had no idea this laptop could be this quick and useful (for basic web browsing and such). I installed the Intel ssd toolkit and was amused that after 23018 power on hours and 5.58TB writes it's still at 98% on the media wearout indicator. I think this combination of Lenovo and Intel could last decades of use.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Megasabin posted:

Keeping in mind that it shouldn't be necessary, there are a few bare-bones programs made to manually TRIM free space. As an alternative, you could image the drive, secure erase it, and restore the image, if you don't mind the rewriting.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Megasabin posted:

Trim should run all the time, you shouldn't need to run it manually. You can check to see if trim is working using this tool.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5203/trim-check-overview-of-an-essential-ssd-trim-functionality-tester/index.html

source page:
https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheck

compiled exe:
http://files.thecybershadow.net/trimcheck/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Grabbed a 240GB PNY Optima (sandforce) at Best Buy for $89 with a $15 Best Buy rewards coupon. Swapped it out for the Crucial M500 I had in my work desktop with an mSATA adapter, and then installed the Crucial in a Lenovo laptop. Whee.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Diviance posted:

Yeah, WinFS didn't go so well. Maybe ReFS will. NTFS needs to die someday and make way for an improved file system.

NTFS is perfectly adequate for a large number of cases

Remember that it has decades of bugfixes before jumping onto the file system du jour.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

NTFS is perfectly adequate for a large number of cases

Remember that it has decades of bugfixes before jumping onto the file system du jour.

I don't see NTFS being dropped for a long time yet, it is simply everywhere. But that is no reason not to work on a new file system from scratch for a more modern OS to one day replace it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 21, 2015

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Diviance posted:

I don't see NTFS being dropped for a long time yet, it is simply everywhere. But that is no reason not to work on a new file system from scratch for a more modern OS to one day replace it.

Sure but it's more likely than not to be something that's only really useful in high load scenarios like datacenters.

Unless it offers significant power savings or something i very much doubt it will roll out to consumers.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tagfs still makes sense to me

Dinty Moore
Apr 26, 2007
I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X220 that already has an SSD (a 120 GB Renice X3 mSATA) which I installed aftermarket. I also have the 320 GB HGST SATA drive it shipped with in the drive bay. The performance is good, but as I love new toys, I'm tempted to get an 840 EVO mSATA. That said... I probably don't need it. Also, yes, I run a Linux (Mint 17.1) on this machine.

Performance graph (reads only) for the drive:

Can you guess where my swap partition is? I'll bet you can.

smartctl output:
pre:
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   117   099   050    Pre-fail  Always       -       0/157325939
  5 Retired_Block_Count     0x0033   100   100   003    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       21449h+22m+02.040s
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       524
171 Program_Fail_Count      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
172 Erase_Fail_Count        0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
174 Unexpect_Power_Loss_Ct  0x0030   000   000   000    Old_age   Offline      -       5
177 Wear_Range_Delta        0x0000   000   000   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
181 Program_Fail_Count      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
182 Erase_Fail_Count        0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   030   030   000    Old_age   Always       -       30 (Min/Max 30/30)
195 ECC_Uncorr_Error_Count  0x001c   117   099   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0/157325939
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0033   100   100   000    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
231 SSD_Life_Left           0x0013   100   100   010    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
233 SandForce_Internal      0x0000   000   000   000    Old_age   Offline      -       2752
234 SandForce_Internal      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       1728
241 Lifetime_Writes_GiB     0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       1728
242 Lifetime_Reads_GiB      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       8576
Disk usage:
pre:
# df /
Filesystem     1K-blocks     Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb2       98534004 17883104  75622640  20% /
I know that the mSATA port's SATA channel only does 3 Gbps. This laptop is used for lots of web browsing, occasional work stuff (SSHing into servers, VPN, web, chat, etc., nothing super fancy), occasional word processing, image editing, VMs, coding, whatever. That said... should I just stick with what I have, or get a Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 250 GB, or a 500 GB and consolidate everything onto the SSD? I'm not abusing the current SSD's capacity, or the hard disk's.

TL;DR: Should I spend money or no? If so, how much?

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

Just a friendly reminder to always back your poo poo up - everything will fail one day.

I seem to have lost an old Corsair Nova 128GB that I was using as my primary disc for about 4 years. I can still see it in the BIOS but can't boot to it, and while system recovery can make it to the desktop, it never displays anything but the background and my cursor. When booting off another drive I can also see it in the drive list, but I get an I/O error when I try to access it. I've tried the idling in BIOS trick with no success, which leads me to believe that the drive is probably dead and my data is gone. I guess I'll be getting a new Samsung or Intel drive now, but it was still hard to lose that data.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I've had drive failures in the past, it sucked. I backup weekly to my file server that's running Unraid. It used to be really basic, but the latest beta has added a lot of good functionality, email notifications, smart monitoring, docker for your apps, vm support, etc. I used to use external drives but that got old a long time ago, and those can fail too, unraid has some fault tolerance via parity drive so it can completely rebuild a failed disk.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 22, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The Samsung EVO 850 250GB drive is on Amazon for £108; the Samsung EVO 840 250GB is £89. Is there enough of a performance boost in the 850 over the 840 to justify the price difference?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Samsung EVO 850 250GB drive is on Amazon for £108; the Samsung EVO 840 250GB is £89. Is there enough of a performance boost in the 850 over the 840 to justify the price difference?

The difference is more in endurance than performance. The 850 Evo is made with V-NAND, which means the invidual cells can be larger while maintaining the same capacity, which leads to more resilient storage (in very non-technical terms)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Actually, 850 EVO has much better performance consistency. If you're using the drive with RAPID in a typical Windows environment, this doesn't matter, but on Macs and with heavy random write use (e.g. memory paging if your system has less RAM), the 850 provides a better experience.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Factory Factory posted:

Actually, 850 EVO has much better performance consistency. If you're using the drive with RAPID in a typical Windows environment, this doesn't matter, but on Macs and with heavy random write use (e.g. memory paging if your system has less RAM), the 850 provides a better experience.

So the 850 would be good for OS X instead of an Intel drive?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So the 850 would be good for OS X instead of an Intel drive?

Yup. An Intel drive wouldn't be a bad choice, especially the 730 or a DC S3xxx models, but those are typically more expensive, and the 850 EVO is a better performer than the 33x/530 SandForce-based drives... but it really doesn't matter all that much in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Has anyone tried out the Kingston Digital HyperX FURY drives? I know the standard Kingston HyperX 3K models were an acceptable, though not preferred, model in the last thread and I've had a few years of solid luck with them. However, my new job is far less flexible about spending, so can't buy a bunch and see what happens. I just need them for some classroom computers, so there will be lightweight usage for web browsing and PowerPoint presentations.

This article indicates it uses the same memory as the Crucial M500, but the problems were with the firmware on the Crucial's, right?
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-kingston-hyperx-fury-240gb-sounds-furious-only-name

Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KW3MTBS/
Fair bit cheaper than other 120 drives and I really only need 40-50GB of space.

• Locked thread