Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

cowofwar posted:

PhD stream
4 yr science undergrad
4-6yr PhD
2-3yr post-doc

Outcome: more post-docs at ~$35-$50k/yr. No job security. Possible tenure track faculty position for 6% of graduates at average age of ~40 at around $100k

MD stream
2-4yr science undergrad
3-4yr MD
2-6yr residency

Outcome: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

You can do other things with a Ph.D besides go into academia. I was being kind of flippant, I'm pretty sure I'm above the median income for (medical) doctors in Canada less than 2 years after finishing my Ph.D.

JawKnee posted:

poo poo I thought that got voted down

Edgewater has been around for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

Lol

Jumpingmanjim, how are your banks doing?

Very profitable as always, they're using the Lehman Brother's method of leveraging like crazy:

quote:

The Big Four banks have employed extreme leverage and pitiful loss reserves to maximise return on equity and profits. In 2013, against the entire loan portfolio, these banks were highly leveraged: ANZ (30.3x), CBA (30.3x), NAB (29.4x) and WBC (31.3x). Against the residential mortgage portfolio, the banks were geared: ANZ (71.4x), CBA (76.9x), NAB (52.6x) and WBC (83.3x). The average capital charge providing for bad and doubtful debts was: ANZ (1.4%), CBA (1.3%), NAB (1.9%) and WBC (1.2%).

If that weren't bad enough:

quote:

A couple of months ago, Prosper Australia fielded a walk-in, an anonymous bank risk manager who alleged the Big Four had manipulated prudential regulation APS 210 by lending each other short-term collateral and deceptively declaring it to be Tier 1 capital. Hence, it is possible a significant proportion of the banks’ already tiny capital buffers are bogus.

http://www.prosper.org.au/2014/11/25/asic-ignores-reports-of-mortgage-fraud-by-lenders/

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 19, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Does that make you more or less turgid than when you hear about something going wrong in Vancouver? Alberta?

This is for science, so please be accurate.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Holy poo poo man did you install Google thesaurus

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Holy poo poo man did you install Google thesaurus

Dont you fuckin dare call me a thesaurus I'm not a dinosaur

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm reading a lot of people talking about the chances that the BoC might actually cut rates if oil stays low, so I did some searching and, yep, apparently the market is trying to bet that it might happen. At this point, the only way to try and force a deflation of the bubble is to mess with CHMC some more, right?

edit: for instance, http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/morgan-stanley-canada-has-1-in-3-chance-of-interest-rate-cut-in-2015-1.2912834

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/SBarlow_ROB/status/557201616122941440?s=09

Phone posting so can't embed

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

An economy supported by pure imagination. :allears:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Gawker got wind of the G&M story and gave their own brief take...

quote:

Two professionals should be able to afford a [HOUSE LARGE ENOUGH FOR SEVEN PEOPLE AND A LIVE-IN NANNY] [WITHOUT TAKING ON ANY DEBT] [WHILE WORKING A TOTAL OF TWO DAYS PER WEEK]! This is a message we can all get behind.

The actual expert advice offered: Eric should work three days a week.

On this Martin Luther King Jr. day, please take a moment to remember Eric and Ilsa and others who are unable to fend for themselves.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Eric and Ilsa are blowin' up.

Meanwhile the Globe has issued a correction. Eric is actually the hardest working man in North America!

https://mobile.twitter.com/globeinvestor/status/557279068404846592

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
lol oh sorry, did I say I only worked 1 day a week? My bad, I meant I work all day every day, oopsie

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
Guys, don't pick on me. I work, like, a billion hours a week. C'mon.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks the entire article is a troll aimed at raising the blood pressure of most people interested in income inequality? I'm having a hard time taking any of it seriously.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

BMO: Calgary's high-flying housing mkt has caught a serious chill...Prices dipped 1.5% [in 1H January], likely the start of a correction.

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/557303686020743168?s=09

:gizz:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
One day I'll be able to afford a house! One day!

edit: Supposedly I actually can afford a house now, I just refuse to beggar myself for home ownership. If prices come down I may reconsider.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Baudin posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the entire article is a troll aimed at raising the blood pressure of most people interested in income inequality? I'm having a hard time taking any of it seriously.

Pretty sure most of those people profiled are made up, or at least juiced to push the story.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Weddings are getting out of hand

ALAN KOHLER 3 HOURS AGO 1
INDUSTRIES PROPERTY ECONOMY AUSTRALIAN NEWS
In light of the problem with housing affordability, perhaps the least sensible modern trend is the rising extravagance and cost of weddings.

There was a time, back in the 1970s when I got married, when wedding fashion was tending towards simplicity. You might have thought, and I did think, that this would just continue until the whole thing would eventually just became a sort of hippie expression of love in front of two families and a few friends, followed by a party at the pub.

But no, definitely not.

Big weddings are back with a vengeance, and are more the special, once in a lifetime, very expensive day than they have ever been.

Anecdotally, from my limited observation, it’s getting out of control. Statistically, numbers are hard to come by: the last definitive survey of the wedding industry was in 2011 by the research house IBISworld, which found that the average cost of a wedding was $36,000.

Since then the component costs -- hen’s party, buck’s party, catering, venue, dresses, flowers, fancy cars, photographs -- have all gone up in price … a lot, out of step with falling inflation.

The average price of a wedding now is probably approaching $50,000, which anecdotally sounds about right. Some I’ve been to obviously cost much more. That’s a deposit for a house.

So given the difficulty young couples now have in affording to buy a home anywhere closer than 50km from the city, the question arises: why are they blowing their deposit on a party?

Or perhaps more to the point, why don’t the parents give them cash for a deposit instead of an expensive wedding that is over in a day?

I suspect the answer, as it is for many modern perplexities, is Facebook. Social media, and Facebook in particular, seems to have done three things:

1. Dramatically widened everyone’s circle of friends, and therefore the number wedding invitees,

2. Allowed wedding photos to be published widely instead of kept in an album for rare private viewings later, and

3. Allowed not only those who have gone to a wedding to feel either inadequate or superior, but also hundreds of Facebook ‘friends’ who aren’t invited.

These are powerful social forces. Weddings used to be quite small, but now 100 guests is your starting point, and even then family numbers are probably getting squeezed by the proliferation of Facebook friends who need to be invited.

The fact that wedding photos are now widely published either on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter is a huge change. It means there is immense pressure on the location and the clothing. To some extent weddings have become little more than elaborate photo shoots.

But I suspect the most important thing is envy, one of the most powerful forces in the universe. It’s much the same as when the publication of CEO salaries led to an explosion in their salaries because each could see what the others were getting and no company wanted to be seen as a low payer.

It used to be we only peeked at celebrity weddings in magazines, but the new ability for those planning a wedding to see what everyone they know has done, and a lot of people they don’t know as well, is leading to exponential growth in their extravagance and cost.

A wedding is supposed to be that ‘most special day’, but how can it be the ‘most special’ if Natalie and Jordan’s wedding was better? It’s simply not on.

This, I submit, is a key reason why housing has become unaffordable: newlyweds can’t raise the deposit because they blew it on the wedding.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

I am about to go to a wedding in a few weeks where they're spending $50,000 on a wedding in February--yes, loving February. The couple both have jobs where one is a branch manager for a bank and the other quit their job at the bank to go work at a sporting goods store. Their parents are footing the bill but in their case one of them is a manager for a paper mill and the other works as an assistant for a dentist's office. She invited pretty much everyone and their families so I'd wager it's about 300-400 people attending.

I love the couple to bits but the fact that they're spending so much on the wedding is absurd. My sister got married in June at a PGA-level golf course and they only spent $14,000 on a wedding where 150 people showed up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Very profitable as always, they're using the Lehman Brother's method of leveraging like crazy:

During the US bubble places like Lehman Brothers leverage up 32:1, 30:1 overall leveraging is not far off from that dubious milestone.

Also lolling how their residential mortgages are even worth with 72:1 leveraging ratios.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gently caress James Cheng.

Um, excuse me, without Cheng we wouldn't have this new shining jewel in the middle of downtown

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Um, excuse me, without Cheng we wouldn't have this new shining jewel in the middle of downtown

Cheng is the best architect in the world for glass replacement companies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

To be fair that's a massive improvement vs what was already there. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make like a 6 story windowless concrete bunker.

Also last time I was in Vancouver we went into that theatre accross the street. They wanted like $15 for a non-3d movie. gently caress off, Vancouver.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

etalian posted:

Cheng is the best architect in the world for glass replacement companies.

The best part is Nordstrom didn't even want windows, so if you look inside you see this:

Baronjutter posted:

To be fair that's a massive improvement vs what was already there. Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to make like a 6 story windowless concrete bunker.

Also last time I was in Vancouver we went into that theatre accross the street. They wanted like $15 for a non-3d movie. gently caress off, Vancouver.

The top floor addition and decades of neglect ruined it but it was pretty nice and clean when it was first built. Good contrast with the TD tower.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hate that department stores don't have windows. Just have windows, I hate shopping when I can't see outside. I've been in a few department stores that actually had windows and it make the whole experience so much better. I dont give a gently caress about your insane lighting consultant finding the perfect lighting balance to promote consumption, give me a real window.

The huge new awful walmart complex in Victoria has a bunch of fake windows like those. The city said they had to have X % glazing because a windowless box is ugly, so they just made windows with like a meter void space behind them then wall, just like in the picture.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OSI bean dip posted:

I am about to go to a wedding in a few weeks where they're spending $50,000 on a wedding in February--yes, loving February. The couple both have jobs where one is a branch manager for a bank and the other quit their job at the bank to go work at a sporting goods store. Their parents are footing the bill but in their case one of them is a manager for a paper mill and the other works as an assistant for a dentist's office. She invited pretty much everyone and their families so I'd wager it's about 300-400 people attending.

I love the couple to bits but the fact that they're spending so much on the wedding is absurd. My sister got married in June at a PGA-level golf course and they only spent $14,000 on a wedding where 150 people showed up.

The liquor budget is probably the big one. It would be easy as pie to spend $200/head on good wine alone, which doesn't make it a thing to be done, I'm just saying that's probably the big driver of the cost. I'm not going to have a big wedding, because I want the people I care enough to invite to be drinking Champagne and Grand Cru Burgundy on one of the most important days of my life.

I can't even think of 20 people I'd invite to my wedding, to be honest... There'd be my parents, maybe five of my good friends, and that's about it.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ Yea, finally! Someone else agrees with me that Uptown is a travesty.

Side note: an awful lot of empty commercial real estate there, and that's not counting the massive lunar crater adjacent to the thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I hate that department stores don't have windows. Just have windows, I hate shopping when I can't see outside. I've been in a few department stores that actually had windows and it make the whole experience so much better. I dont give a gently caress about your insane lighting consultant finding the perfect lighting balance to promote consumption, give me a real window.

The huge new awful walmart complex in Victoria has a bunch of fake windows like those. The city said they had to have X % glazing because a windowless box is ugly, so they just made windows with like a meter void space behind them then wall, just like in the picture.

If you dare to let people see outside, they might be able to figure out how to get there! We can't have that! We need to trap them in the Escher painting that is the average department store, because the average consumer is a weak-minded gently caress that is likely to buy whatever they walk past.

I've seriously come so close to yelling "gently caress you all, get me out of this shithole!" in the middle of a Bay so many times that I'm amazed I never have.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

^ Yea, finally! Someone else agrees with me that Uptown is a travesty.

Side note: an awful lot of empty commercial real estate there, and that's not counting the massive lunar crater adjacent to the thing.

Finally!? I thought Uptown was universally hated. Horrible design, even worse layout, and saanich hosed up hard not demanding better pedestrian/cycle access. Confusing, ugly, lovely stores, no reason to ever set foot.
Are you hanging out with a lot of Albertan transplants or Langfordians or something? Making statements that could be interpreted as "Glorifying Uptown" or even excusing is very un-Victoria behavior and should be reported.

That said, my wife's work keeps hearing rumours they might move to some of that vast unleased office space in uptown, which despite uptown's awfulness would be an amazing upgrade from Millstream Village.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Baronjutter posted:

Finally!? I thought Uptown was universally hated. Horrible design, even worse layout, and saanich hosed up hard not demanding better pedestrian/cycle access. Confusing, ugly, lovely stores, no reason to ever set foot.
Are you hanging out with a lot of Albertan transplants or Langfordians or something? Making statements that could be interpreted as "Glorifying Uptown" or even excusing is very un-Victoria behavior and should be reported.

That said, my wife's work keeps hearing rumours they might move to some of that vast unleased office space in uptown, which despite uptown's awfulness would be an amazing upgrade from Millstream Village.

We must run in different circles. I've got family in Victoria - not at all Alberta connected - and they all seem to like it, or at the very least are indifferent to it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lexicon posted:

We must run in different circles. I've got family in Victoria - not at all Alberta connected - and they all seem to like it, or at the very least are indifferent to it.

Victoria has about as much petty regionalism as Canada does. People from tiny distances apart have their own stupid identities and completely different identity issues/politics. It's a natural result of our hosed fiefdom city.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Hey gently caress you man. Canadian treasure to architecture Arthur Erickson would like to challenge you to a duel

http://imgur.com/F1dCAkQ

PS gently caress Arthur Erickson

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Architecture has been poo poo in Canada ever since Rattenbury got murdered by his bitch.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I got degrees at both SFU and McMaster Health Sciences Centre so I have 12 years of experience in concrete bunkers. Interestingly, both buildings are situated in very beautiful areas and provide great views. So there is some interesting contrast at play.

The hilarious part is that they built four floors and planned for a fifth, but they ended up not being able to build it due to foundation or infrastructure concerns of some sort; which is why the staircases go up an extra floor to nowhere.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 20, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

PT6A posted:

The liquor budget is probably the big one. It would be easy as pie to spend $200/head on good wine alone, which doesn't make it a thing to be done, I'm just saying that's probably the big driver of the cost. I'm not going to have a big wedding, because I want the people I care enough to invite to be drinking Champagne and Grand Cru Burgundy on one of the most important days of my life.

I can't even think of 20 people I'd invite to my wedding, to be honest... There'd be my parents, maybe five of my good friends, and that's about it.

Why are you spending 200 dollars a head in booze, buy the cheap stuff for everyone but you.

Also its cute that you think you have a say in the wedding, my wife somehow got an extra 100 people at mine. Of course we did the whole thing for 6 grand.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Why are you spending 200 dollars a head in booze, buy the cheap stuff for everyone but you.

I'd rather have 10 people I give a gently caress about at $200 per head, rather than an assortment of 100 people at $20 per head who I don't give enough of a poo poo about to serve good liquor. All of the best bottles of wine and liquor I've paid for are, without exception, ones that I've shared with the people in my life I care about. I don't think I've ever opened a bottle of wine worth over $40 for myself alone, but I've opened bottles of Grand Cru Burgundy and great vintage Port for my family and friends. What's the point of having the finest things in life without people to enjoy it with?

I'd rather elope (probably what I'll end up doing anyway) rather than serve my guests poo poo while I drink good stuff. That's just rude.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 20, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It owns when people spend massive amounts of money, on for the marriage to end in a divorce 1 or 2 years later.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'd love to attend a big drunken bulldogging :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

It owns when people spend massive amounts of money, on for the marriage to end in a divorce 1 or 2 years later.

There's an inverse correlation between money spent and length of marriage, actually.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

cowofwar posted:

I got degrees at both SFU and McMaster Health Sciences Centre so I have 12 years of experience in concrete bunkers. Interestingly, both buildings are situated in very beautiful areas and provide great views. So there is some interesting contrast at play.

The hilarious part is that they built four floors and planned for a fifth, but they ended up not being able to build it due to foundation or infrastructure concerns of some sort; which is why the staircases go up an extra floor to nowhere.

hahaha that is such a university story

Also SFU is the ugliest campus I've been to, like fog and 1000% humidity + concrete everywhere and you are surprised moss grows everywhere? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
SFU is good for two reasons. Last chance university for everyone who grew up in Burnaby and best downhill MTB bus shuttle circuit in the world.