Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mister Adequate posted:

I think you might be right about this, actually, I was just thinking they may not be able to clean house depending on how well they can realistically predict and sensibly act upon seats they have a real chance of winning. They don't have safe seats to parachute their safe, restrained people into to ensure those are the ones who get into government, so they might end up with several 'blokes from down the pub' in which case good luck riding herd on that shower. Still, they'd probably get Big Nige to sit down personally with each one in turn and explain why it's very very important to not use racial slurs and what have you, so they might manage it. I think you're mostly correct on this, giving it some thought, and I may have been overstating the problems UKIP could face, especially as continuous horrendous statements from their existing gobshites has done little to discredit them as a group.

Yeah I'm not really talking about the kips getting themselves elected, more that if they do end up winning a few seats and having the numbers to form a coalition with the Tories, I don't really see a lot preventing it on either side. They have more in common than probably any other two parties, far more than they have in differences, and there's a bunch of political capital to be hoovered up if if they join forces and 'work together' on all these pressing issues

Really I want someone to tell me I'm wrong and it could never happen even if they all do win enough seats. Help me out here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I reckon come the GE where in theory there will be greater turnout UKIP will be zapped basically, its where the average person starts thinking 'bloody hell, shits getting real, id better actually go bloody vote for a non gimmick'

Feel free to save this wisdom and quote it in my face if the fuckers end up with 5 seats or whatever.

PS vote green, you know you want to

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

And how do we fix them?
re-education camps and a state-appointed political commissar for every school, business and residential street.

After the bloody marxist revolt, obviously.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

re-education camps and a state-appointed political commissar for every school, business and residential street.

After the bloody marxist revolt, obviously.

After? I thought the SWP were doing pretty well when it came to Marxists being revolting.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
A strong victory for feminism today, as the Sun pledges to use another page to poo poo on the working class.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

twoot posted:

While its true that the parties people vote for might shuffle around, I was thinking in terms of people voting for left/right. Green would probably become a proper force under PR, but their votes would come from Labour or Lib Dem. Overall that pool of available voters may not change much.

The pool of voters would change hugely. 35% of registered. Others abstained at the 2005 general election. Knowing their votes are worthless is one of the major factors that people cite for not voting, and electoral reform should aim to address that.

Can't promise it'd change the pool for the better, since UKIP have apparently been picking up a decent number of disillusioned no -voters

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
There used to be a Marxism megathread in D&D, does anyone know where it went?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Coohoolin posted:

There used to be a Marxism megathread in D&D, does anyone know where it went?

I posted in it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The megathread got shut down a while ago. There another marxism thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677666&pagenumber=1
But it's exactly the kind of shitshow you'd imagine.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Oberleutnant posted:

The megathread got shut down a while ago. There another marxism thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677666&pagenumber=1
But it's exactly the kind of shitshow you'd imagine.

Aw nuts, the OP had some great book recs and I remember some good discussions from it. Oh well.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's still in the gas chamber!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If I remember correctly, they did another one of those *hilarious* things where they gave D&D some new mods from some other board, and they just went ahead and gassed the Marxism thread. I dunno if thats entirely true, but it was definitely gassed. Which is a shame, because the OP was dope.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Oh great, at least that's something! Cheers.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Don't move to Cardiff, it's terrible.

Why? :colbert:

On jobchat, I always assumed that for bigger public sector type places jobs always got advertised internally first and then if no takers, externally. I work for a government-ish employer, and that's the way its always been. Sometimes it's annoying for us if we know there's no-one suitable internally, as it wastes time having to go through the process. It must be hella annoying for potential (external) applicants, but often means that we can employ someone with all the right clearances, a proven track record (e.g. bullshit can be easily checked) and who knows the procedures and organisational crap that can take months for someone to get their head around. I can see why they do it basically.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Seaside Loafer posted:

PS vote green, you know you want to
I don't think they're even running in my constituency (where Conservatives will win again :smith:).

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

TinTower posted:

A strong victory for feminism today, as the Sun pledges to use another page to poo poo on the working class.
Oh come on, they have some really important stuff in there sometimes:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6275358/Research-suggests-brain-power-is-linked-to-the-fat-in-your-mothers-bum.html

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Answers Me posted:

I'm moving to Cardiff soon and this pisses me off no end every time I look on there :(

LemonDrizzle posted:

Don't move to Cardiff, it's terrible.

the welsh public sector is cutting back and cutting jobs, I wouldn't go to Cardiff in the expectation of getting a public sector job.

e/ also why the gently caress would you move to a welsh city, they're gash. always poo poo on the welsh side of the bridge etc.

if you want to move somewhere in that general direction go to bristol. there's actually poo poo happening there.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

With all this talk of polls and potential coalitions, it's clear we're very much in election mode already. The true horror of Fixed Term administrations, as understood for so long by our American cousins , is truly upon us.

Only 108 days to go :smithicide:

Respected psephologist Steve Fisher has been putting out weekly forecasts for a few months now (as have a few others, including the New Statesmen) and he's just switched to a model which includes predictions of possible coalitions:

Now this is far from an exact science, but most of the predictions are lining up around Labour and the Tories on ~280 seats each, with the Lib Dems and the SNP on ~30 seats each, and then a bunch of the usual suspects + UKIP on ~5 seats each.

As you can see by the pie above, this leads to some really messy potential coalition scenarios, and the distinct possibility that we'll have another 5 years of Deputy PM Clegg :geno:

Also, nobody knows what the gently caress is going on with the Greens:

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I'm not really talking about the kips getting themselves elected, more that if they do end up winning a few seats and having the numbers to form a coalition with the Tories, I don't really see a lot preventing it on either side. They have more in common than probably any other two parties, far more than they have in differences, and there's a bunch of political capital to be hoovered up if if they join forces and 'work together' on all these pressing issues

Really I want someone to tell me I'm wrong and it could never happen even if they all do win enough seats. Help me out here!

There's some sense in the Tories wanting Farage inside the tent pissing out, rather than outside pissing in. But I think if he were inside, he would still be pissing in. In the situation where UKIP is kingmaker, they have no reason not to continue to be provocative on immigration. There's no way they would give up that publicity. The Lib Dems in coalition were all about appearing to be a "serious" party of government, while claiming they would hold the Tories' feet to the fire on key issues. Ultimately the first aim defeated the second. Trying to appear competent is not part of UKIP's strategy - they have much more to gain by continuing to criticize the Conservatives for not being tough enough.

It will come down to Tory internal politics - the faction that would want to be in coalition with UKIP (for ideological reasons or just to stay in power) would be set against the more leftist Tories, the ones who have come to hate coalitions on principle, and the ones who'd rather be like UKIP than be partners with them.

Perhaps Farage could be neutered by giving him a ministerial job that he would be bound to gently caress up? It's the ideal outcome for the Conservatives: they get to be in power, and Farage disqualifies himself from having influence.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlexG posted:

Perhaps Farage could be neutered by giving him a ministerial job that he would be bound to gently caress up? It's the ideal outcome for the Conservatives: they get to be in power, and Farage disqualifies himself from having influence.

Make him Chancellor perhaps?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It'll be interesting if the Lib Dems are offered a coalition deal but the membership reject it (most likely if it's contingent on Clegg's resignation).

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
It's worth noting that Farage is currently polling worse than the Tory he's challenging in South Thanet, and if there was ever an election and seat in which normal labour/lib dem/green voters might hold their noses and vote tory, it'd be that one.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think they're even running in my constituency (where Conservatives will win again :smith:).

I can't remember are you one of this threads several thousand canterburians?

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.

JFairfax posted:

Make him Chancellor perhaps?

Genuinely unsure if this is a Hitler reference.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Robot Mil posted:

Why? :colbert:

On jobchat, I always assumed that for bigger public sector type places jobs always got advertised internally first and then if no takers, externally. I work for a government-ish employer, and that's the way its always been. Sometimes it's annoying for us if we know there's no-one suitable internally, as it wastes time having to go through the process. It must be hella annoying for potential (external) applicants, but often means that we can employ someone with all the right clearances, a proven track record (e.g. bullshit can be easily checked) and who knows the procedures and organisational crap that can take months for someone to get their head around. I can see why they do it basically.

When someone is being made redundant the employer is duty bound to find them similar employment before the redundancy is legal.

So with all these people being made redundant (thanks to the tax cuts for everyone government) and so few internal posts being open the jobs have to go to the redundancy pool first. Add in its much quicker to fill vacancies internally (1-2 weeks advertising, 1 week interviews then negotiate a leaving date for current role as apposed to 3-4 weeks advertising due to publishing deadlines, 2 week interviewing then the person has to work their notice that is often 3 to 4 weeks) than externally. Plus current employees are known quantities while someone external might have great references and interview well but be garbage and you then have to go through performance management reviews before sacking.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well no you don't. 99.9% of jobs have a probation period to prevent someone poo poo needing to go through the entire HR manual to be gotten rid of.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

I can't remember are you one of this threads several thousand canterburians?
Just outside Leicester. Like the whole of the Midlands, it's specks of red surrounded by rolling fields of solid Tory.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlexG posted:

Genuinely unsure if this is a Hitler reference.

what does your heart tell you?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Uh, guys...

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
green is the new red?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

We're all watermelons now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AlexG posted:

There's some sense in the Tories wanting Farage inside the tent pissing out, rather than outside pissing in. But I think if he were inside, he would still be pissing in. In the situation where UKIP is kingmaker, they have no reason not to continue to be provocative on immigration. There's no way they would give up that publicity. The Lib Dems in coalition were all about appearing to be a "serious" party of government, while claiming they would hold the Tories' feet to the fire on key issues. Ultimately the first aim defeated the second. Trying to appear competent is not part of UKIP's strategy - they have much more to gain by continuing to criticize the Conservatives for not being tough enough.

That's really what I mean though - why wouldn't Ukip continue to be provocative on immigration? Why would the Tories want them to stop? They both want the same thing, but right now they're fighting for votes and power so they're ranged against each other, and Farage can be highly critical and say the Tories aren't doing enough. In a coalition they can coordinate their messaging - Farage can continue to agitate for harsher and harsher controls, as people expect and enjoy, the Tories can be the softer, more human side of the government while only deporting all foreigns instead of forcing them off the cliffs with bayonets, and both sides win because they're forming a united front in the end.

That's the difference with the Lib Dems - they apparently wanted to fight Tory policies and exact concessions, in opposition. Farage wants the same things as the Tories, just More. Apart from the EU referendum, but that's already a divisive issue within the Tory party, so there's a significant contingent who'd see Farage as a great ally and an asset. They both have a lot to gain by being united if there's no majority

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sebzilla posted:

We're all watermelons now.

is this racist like coconut?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

is this racist like coconut?

Green on the outside, red on the inside. Not sure if orks are an oppressed minority or not.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Darth Walrus posted:

Green on the outside, red on the inside. Not sure if orks are an oppressed minority or not.

Well when was the last time you saw one serve as PM or even in the cabinet? :colbert:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

Well when was the last time you saw one serve as PM or even in the cabinet? :colbert:
Yeah, it's been nothing but nazgul since 1855.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, there was that Mag Uruk Thraka lady who got us into a spot of trouble with ArmageddonArgentina...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Greens are starting to be the subjects of hatchet jobs in the Conservative press!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...or-Britain.html

quote:

In the short term, a Green administration would impose a string of new taxes, ramp up public spending to unprecedented levels and decriminalise drugs, brothels and membership of terrorist groups.
In the long term, they want to fundamentally change life as we know it.

Whatever you think about them, they're clearly beginning to upset important people in the Establishment - perhaps they ARE worth voting for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apart from terrorism that sounds pretty good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Apart from terrorism that sounds pretty good?

Yeah, that sounds smashing.

• Locked thread