Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kind of aiming low aren't ya?

By Bama rules you can claim the title!

gobbler magazine declares frank beamer coach of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sash! posted:

I hate Tom Brady, but almost entirely out of envy. 100% out of envy. 100% is I hate the Pats.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kind of aiming low aren't ya?

By Bama rules you can claim the title!

This has both ironically and unironically happened many times over in the fanbase.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:laffo: at the thought of the Big Ten claiming Wilson.

That'd be like them putting Tommy Frazier on an all-time Big Ten all-star team.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

LeeMajors posted:

Don't give BTN any ideas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alouicious posted:

actually no, claiming a guy who played a single season in your conference after playing the majority of his career in the ACC is not legitimate at all

If being a Big Ten quarterback is mutually exclusive with being an ACC quarterback, maybe, but nobody has said that afaik. Dude started his entire senior season in the Big Ten (at a higher-profile program than the one he came from), led his team to a conference championship and boosted his draft stock there. It wasn't some victory lap year he took because he had eligibility left. He's both.

vyst posted:

Russell Wilson under no circumstances is a "Big 10 product" you can compare it to whatever the gently caress you want doesn't make it any less wrong to try and claim him as so.

"Big 10 product" and "Big 10 quarterback" are different things.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Big 10 product" and "Big 10 quarterback" are different things.

Sweet semantics argument.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Your entire argument has been "nuh-uh," so I'm not really concerned if you like mine. It's a completely pointless conversation anyway.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
I fully expect Jim Harbaugh to recruit a future super bowl winning QB to Michigan and then leave to coach him in the NFL in 2022 or so.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I fully expect Jim Harbaugh to recruit a future super bowl winning QB to Michigan and then leave to coach him in the NFL in 2022 or so.

Chip Kelly / Marcus Mariota. If the Eagles end up with Marcus, I will laugh a bit.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lasagna Pilot posted:

My own reading of it is that Harbaugh is rather disillusioned with the NFL and has no interest in going back.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KKKLIP ART posted:

Chip Kelly / Marcus Mariota. If the Eagles end up with Marcus, I will laugh a bit.

I don't think he falls that far, even if he didn't look too hot at the NCG.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Deteriorata posted:

My own reading of it is that Harbaugh is rather disillusioned with the NFL and has no interest in going back.

I think he will only go back to coach an elite QB, and with full control or with a GM that he is close friends with, there is no way he will just take a random job IMO.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

With this logic, no Texas or Oklahoma player pre-1994 could be named to an all Big 12 conference all star team. And if that's the case for a completely arbitrary made up list, then we're getting into dumb semantics arguments territory.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Groucho Marxist posted:

justin britt being on the seahawks is the closest mizzou will ever get to winning a title
Same for Rice with Luke Willson.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Russell Wilson was hurt all the time at NC State and picking Glennon was absolutely the right decision given the information that TOB had available. He also was way, way better at Wisconsin than he ever played at NC State.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

I don't think he falls that far, even if he didn't look too hot at the NCG.

I don't follow draft stuff, so I don't know how far down the Eagles are as far as picks go. I just think it would be funny.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Realtalk: Mark Sanchez had a way higher ceiling than Mariotta coming out of college and if the Jets hadn't broken him nobody would even argue about it

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Kim Jong Il posted:

Russell Wilson was hurt all the time at NC State and picking Glennon was absolutely the right decision given the information that TOB had available. He also was way, way better at Wisconsin than he ever played at NC State.

He was certainly very good at Wisconsin, but he threw for more yards at NC State two different years, rushed for more at NC State two different years, and had as many completions his last year at NC State as he did total attempts his one year at Wisconsin. He was very good both places.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Nur_Neerg posted:

He was certainly very good at Wisconsin, but he threw for more yards at NC State two different years, rushed for more at NC State two different years, and had as many completions his last year at NC State as he did total attempts his one year at Wisconsin. He was very good both places.

It was really satisfying to see VT's defense tear him apart both times they played. :allears:

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Between the end of this season, and the troll presser Ohio State is going to be fun as hell to watch next year assuming Jones starts.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Raku posted:

Realtalk: Mark Sanchez had a way higher ceiling than Mariotta coming out of college and if the Jets hadn't broken him nobody would even argue about it

Didn't Sanchez get labeled as a weak arm though? Like people were banking on his ball placement being great in college as translating really well regardless of his arm?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TheGreyGhost posted:

Didn't Sanchez get labeled as a weak arm though? Like people were banking on his ball placement being great in college as translating really well regardless of his arm?

I'm pretty sure even Pete Carrol came out saying it was a bad idea to draft him and that he wasn't ready. That's tough coming from your current head coach.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Mahoning posted:

With this logic, no Texas or Oklahoma player pre-1994 could be named to an all Big 12 conference all star team. And if that's the case for a completely arbitrary made up list, then we're getting into dumb semantics arguments territory.

Right. Nor should they. They weren't in the Big 12. Or Big 8.

I think it would be valid to include a Big 8 Texas/OU player in an all-time Big 12 list because the conference expanded.

I would call bullshit on the ACC claiming Sean Taylor, Edgerrin James or Ken Dorsey though. Realignment is a different beast, I think.

Yeah, it's semantics. Who cares? It's still silly to claim something that isn't yours.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 20, 2015

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

Clearly you've never watched the Big Ten Network (I don't blame you).

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

I'm pretty sure they already do stupid poo poo like that.

I'm ready for the hour long special on BTN about B1G legend Steve Blake

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Tom Osborne is the greatest Big Ten coach of all time, it says it right there on the Big Ten Network.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Didn't they already do a Big Ten Icons Tommie Frazier episode?

E: it was Tom Osborne, but the point remains

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
BTN also named Ndamukong Suh the second-best defensive lineman in Big Ten history. I don't think he played a single Big Ten opponent in his entire career.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

sportsgenius86 posted:

Didn't they already do a Big Ten Icons Tommie Frazier episode?

E: it was Tom Osborne, but the point remains
See? Why do you disrespect the Big Ten's long tradition of Nebraska excellence?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Maybe it should be framed different, but you should still be able to honor great coaches/players from teams that are currently in your league that didn't coach/play in it.

Should be named 'Football Icons' or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Maybe it should be framed different, but you should still be able to honor great coaches/players from teams that are currently in your league that didn't coach/play in it.

Should be named 'Football Icons' or something.

They do episodes about basketball and, in the case of Iowa, wrestling too though.

The Nebraska guys are funniest but they also put Penn State guys from before they were in the conference in those countdowns all the time. I imagine Maryland guys will be all over the basketball countdown shows too. Thankfully there is no danger of a Rutgers player ever sneaking in there, at least until they get desperate enough to do a "best white running backs of the 00s" countdown.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 20, 2015

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Tom Brady, guy who never really had many complete games at Michigan, because the boosters wanted Michigan Man Drew Henson in there instead

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Ray Rice Top Ten Big Ten Running Backs of 2007

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tom Brady had a lot of complete games at Michigan, and the idea that Henson "took his job" when Brady was still playing the majority of every game is some bullshit that people exaggerate to make the Tom Brady cinderella story sound even more impressive.

And Drew Henson was widely regarded as one of the best QB prospects ever and was in fact really good when he finally got to start so it wasn't even that unjustified, especially since they were trying to keep him from bolting to play baseball (which he'd eventually do anyway when the money was too much to pass up)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 20, 2015

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Tom Brady had a lot of complete games at Michigan, and the idea that Henson "took his job" when he really would just play a few series here and there is some bullshit that people exaggerate to make the Tom Brady cinderella story sound even more impressive.

And Drew Henson was widely regarded as one of the best QB prospects ever and was in fact really good when he finally got to start so it wasn't even that unjustified.

There was a huge movement to make Henson the starter ever since he arrived. Drew Henson was probably the most hyped recruit I can remember at Michigan, even before people caring about recruiting to the extent they do now.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ray Rice Top Ten Big Ten Running Backs of 2007

Joe Paterno: Winningest Big Ten Coach in history. #409

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Joe Paterno: Winningest Big Ten Coach in history. #409

Even if you just count Big Ten play I think he still cracks like the Top 5 or something. Woody and Bo have more, Hayden barely has more, and I think that might be it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

AsInHowe posted:

Tom Brady, guy who never really had many complete games at Michigan, because the boosters wanted Michigan Man Drew Henson in there instead

Drew Henson was better than Brady in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Regnevelc posted:

Drew Henson was better than Brady in college.

Except for when he got Michigan into huge deficits for Brady to save them from, I guess?

• Locked thread