Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Devor posted:

Realtalk, it's a platoongroups.

Interesting. Any idea on the etymology of that?

I know the interstates were mainly funded because of the defense argument, being able to move large amounts of military equipment and troops around in the event of war. I wonder if the context of the word originated from actual military platoons travelling on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo 3
Jun 2, 2006

I have a bad feeling about this...
According to dictionary.com, the word platoon comes from the French peloton, which means "platoon" or "group of people" (it is used in the Tour de France and other bicycle races to mean a group of cyclists drafting off each other), and which comes from the Old French peloton meaning "little ball."

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

nielsm posted:

But even if it legally isn't one, would it cause drivers to behave as if it was a real roundabout?

I actually encountered this during my driving lessons, pavement that looked like a roundabout and most people treated it like a roundabout but it lacked the roundabout signs. So my instructor made me treat it like a 4 way crossing because that is what it legally is :colbert: .
A few weeks later the city put in the roundabout signs.

So practically half would treat it as a roundabout half as a 4 way crossing, a accident would occur and the city would be liable (probably) and change it to the proper layout.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Due to a spate of wrong way Interstate collisions, we're testing some new tech in Florida to try to clue people in that they're going up an exit ramp. The first is a take on reflector studs that shine with red LEDs whenever the motion detector sees a vehicle coming the wrong way. The other is a glorified RRFB with red LEDs instead of amber.

The actual concept is old... we're just looking for modernized solutions that might work better. These new signs send a message to the local traffic management center, so that LED guides can be immediately changed to warn traffic of an oncoming wrong-way driver.

http://www.wtsp.com/videos/news/local/2015/01/14/21745489/

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 16, 2015

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've seen a few no U-turn signs around my area that are similar to RRFBs, as well. They certainly make the signs more visible at night.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe there's some really bad ramp designs out there (or just amazingly stupid people) but with how the actual geometry of the roads are constructed, let alone signs, I find it unbelievable people could ever end up going the wrong way down a divided freeway. I mean youtube proves me wrong, but I don't get it. poo poo like that should be an automatic 1 year license suspension or something. Unless there's some really confusing badly designed ramps out there.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe there's some really bad ramp designs out there (or just amazingly stupid people) but with how the actual geometry of the roads are constructed, let alone signs, I find it unbelievable people could ever end up going the wrong way down a divided freeway. I mean youtube proves me wrong, but I don't get it. poo poo like that should be an automatic 1 year license suspension or something. Unless there's some really confusing badly designed ramps out there.

1) People drive while drunk.
2) People drive while texting.

Both have the same effect of impairing driving to the point that people make wrong way turns. Blinkenlights are supposed to get the driver's attention to see the whole "Wrong Way" thing if they aren't actually looking at the road.

Edit In Florida, wrong-way driving is the equivalent of a speeding ticket. Perhaps the laws should be changed to be more strict...

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 16, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Varance posted:

Both have the same effect of impairing driving to the point that people make wrong way turns. Blinkenlights are supposed to get your attention and see the whole "Wrong Way" thing if you aren't actually looking at the road.

Edit In Florida, wrong-way driving is the equivalent of a speeding ticket. Perhaps the laws should be changed to be more strict...

Driving laws really need to be a lot more draconian and involve actually suspending licenses for X days rather than just cash fines. This is life and death safety poo poo. It's so weird how a crane operator or industrial equipment operator can get fired on the spot and barred from ever doing it again for the slightest safety breach (because they take it seriously) but people entrusted with controlling huge heaps of metal meters away from other vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists can outright kill people through extreme negligence and get just a ticket or brief suspension.

We need way stricter and more comprehensive driver's ed and testing. Driving isn't a right, if you don't have the awareness, discipline, and knowledge of the rules of the road you don't get to drive.
We need way stricter punishments for extremely unsafe driving. This is life and death, this is the biggest killer of people under 30. Driving isn't a right, if you've repeatedly proven you don't have the skills or attitude to drive safely you are banned until you can prove otherwise.
We also need to re-structure our land-use and infrastructure so that we don't have a society where everyone has to drive, driving should be reserved for those who can prove sufficient skill at it, not an assumed universal right.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Varance posted:

Inadvertently turning down the wrong way, if you realize what you've done immediately and stop without causing harm, should be roughly like a bad speeding ticket. It can happen as an honest mistake. I've never done it myself but I've been in a few cars where it almost happened from some combination of weather-obscured lines, bad signage, and driver inattention. Taking a left turn on to a divided road at night when there was no other traffic on the road (thus no cars sitting at the light in the oncoming lane making it more obvious) accounted for two of the times. In all cases someone in the car realized what was happening and the furthest we got was a car length in before turning around.

The dumb/drunk fucks who either don't realize or realize and panic, either way keeping going until something bad happens, they need to be taken off the road. Basically getting to the highway end of the onramp (or having wrecked on the way) is where I'd draw the line.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 16, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Usually it's dark and people are a bit drunk, and they don't realize they went the wrong way until they see oncoming lights. And if it's after the bars close, there usually isn't much oncoming traffic.

I don't think the geometry would be very noticeable. We have a lot of offramps that just tee to roads, and look exactly the same as an on-ramp excpect for the DO NOT ENTER signs.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Varance posted:

Both have the same effect of impairing driving to the point that people make wrong way turns. Blinkenlights are supposed to get the driver's attention to see the whole "Wrong Way" thing if they aren't actually looking at the road.

Don't forget old people. I can always notice when they are about to do it; usually they'll hesitate right before the intersection, and then turn. For a while I watched it happen once or twice a month, but lately it's been several months since I've seen them do it. And the most I've seen one go is about halfway before they realize what happened and stop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was reading some interesting accident data. People love to blame old people as the worst drivers, but when it comes to accidents, injury, and death old people are about tied with young people. They just kill and injure people in different types of accidents. With old people it's confusing break and gas, not reacting fast enough, or just losing control for medical reasons. For young people it's speeding, not paying attention, and drunk driving. But apparently the numbers are pretty similar.

The young people problem could be helped with better education/harder testing and stricter enforcement. In countries with slower more graduated licensing programs they have much lower rates of young people killing them selves and others on the roads. The old people problem could be solved by making people get re-tested every X years after they reach Y age and maybe just maybe having doctors actually recomend taking licenses away from people once they're blind or reaction times so slow they're a danger to others. Once again, in places that actually do this, actually have stricter health related criteria to maintain your license, they see far lower rates of injury and death by olds.

Of course good traffic engineering helps a huge amount too. But in many cases I think we'd get a lot more safety bang for our buck by investing in better training and enforcement vs making the roads even more idiot-proof. But that comes back to the north american idea that every single person needs to be able to drive, the bar for getting and keeping your license is so ridiculously low and there's such a massive political resistance to any change.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I almost turned down the wrong way on a ramp on to route 128 when it was five in the morning and it was really dark. Fortunately I realized my mistake before I went down the ramp. The geometry of those ramps (where Route 128, Route 30, and the Mass Pike converge in Weston) are garbage, especially in the dark.

Thankfully, over the last year they painted cat tracks there, so that mistake won't be made again... at least, until the winter time.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

I was reading some interesting accident data. People love to blame old people as the worst drivers, but when it comes to accidents, injury, and death old people are about tied with young people. They just kill and injure people in different types of accidents. With old people it's confusing break and gas, not reacting fast enough, or just losing control for medical reasons. For young people it's speeding, not paying attention, and drunk driving. But apparently the numbers are pretty similar.

The young people problem could be helped with better education/harder testing and stricter enforcement. In countries with slower more graduated licensing programs they have much lower rates of young people killing them selves and others on the roads. The old people problem could be solved by making people get re-tested every X years after they reach Y age and maybe just maybe having doctors actually recomend taking licenses away from people once they're blind or reaction times so slow they're a danger to others. Once again, in places that actually do this, actually have stricter health related criteria to maintain your license, they see far lower rates of injury and death by olds.

Of course good traffic engineering helps a huge amount too. But in many cases I think we'd get a lot more safety bang for our buck by investing in better training and enforcement vs making the roads even more idiot-proof. But that comes back to the north american idea that every single person needs to be able to drive, the bar for getting and keeping your license is so ridiculously low and there's such a massive political resistance to any change.

While old and young drivers both get in accidents more frequently, they're different kinds of accidents with different causes.

For wrong-way freeway entries, though, the elderly are heavily overrepresented. Distraction and inexperience won't lead most people to drive ten miles down a freeway going the wrong direction; being 105 years old and still driving because there's no mandatory retesting does.

We can spend millions on flashing signs and bright red strobes and extra WRONG WAY placards, but unless we solve the main causes of wrong-way crashes (elderly drivers and DUI/DWI), they're going to keep happening.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Thwomp posted:

Everytime this thread comes around to why Americans can't handle roundabouts, I think of this intersection nearby:

Stop signs, no guidance on which lane goes where and divided local lanes.
I had the pleasure of driving through there today. Not mentioned by thwomp: This intersection is on the most direct route to take from I-294 to Ikea, Woodfield Mall(biggest mall in Illinois), and a bunch of other stuff, so traffic's heavy.

The interchange of Golf Road and 294 also does strange things. No taking 294 south for you!

Baronjutter posted:

But that comes back to the north american idea that every single person needs to be able to drive, the bar for getting and keeping your license is so ridiculously low and there's such a massive political resistance to any change.
The problem is that every person the US does need to be able to drive, because in most places you're effectively housebound without a car. It's a horrible codependant relationship, but the "not being able to live without a car" part is going to have to change before the "standards for licensing are way too low" part can.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
294 has limited access by design. You can't get on going north up at 176. Granted, it still sucks and can be confusing, but then again this is the metro area that brings us PALATINE ROAD

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Real talk: what percentage of wrong-way crashes are suicide attempts? Most people involved in such accidents around here seem to be under 50.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

lavaca posted:

Real talk: what percentage of wrong-way crashes are suicide attempts? Most people involved in such accidents around here seem to be under 50.

Unfortunately, my state doesn't keep track of crashes due to mental illness. I can understand that it wouldn't be practical to do so if you're a cop filling out an accident report and would cause tremendous legal headaches if you happened to be wrong. I don't know of any source that compiles a retrospective analysis of suicide attempts, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems like a particularly terrible way to commit suicide, considering driving into a tree would accomplish the same thing without hurting an innocent bystander.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Haifisch posted:

I had the pleasure of driving through there today. Not mentioned by thwomp: This intersection is on the most direct route to take from I-294 to Ikea, Woodfield Mall(biggest mall in Illinois), and a bunch of other stuff, so traffic's heavy.

The interchange of Golf Road and 294 also does strange things. No taking 294 south for you!

Oh, hey, my commute!

Why would you take that route to Woodfield instead of driving a bit further south to I-90?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

whitey delenda est posted:

294 has limited access by design. You can't get on going north up at 176. Granted, it still sucks and can be confusing, but then again this is the metro area that brings us PALATINE ROAD

Goddamn you you reminded me of that street

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

smackfu posted:

It seems like a particularly terrible way to commit suicide, considering driving into a tree would accomplish the same thing without hurting an innocent bystander.

Better even because there is no crumple zone on a tree/concrete wall to absorb some of the energy.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Well thats one way to solve road funding. :stare:

South Dakota Governor Proposes Perpetual Gas Tax Increase

quote:

PIERRE – The Legislature should raise several major taxes and fees on motor fuels and vehicles, because highway funding is falling short in South Dakota, Gov. Dennis Daugaard told state lawmakers Tuesday.

The Republican governor made his call for the increases in his State of the State speech opening the 2015 session of the Legislature.

His decision to support more highway funding marked a reversal from his previous four years as governor. He previously resisted tax increases. The Legislature overrode his veto of a 2011 measure that increased license plate fees for non-commercial vehicles.

On Tuesday, starting his second term as governor, Daugaard launched directly into the topic of highway funding after brief introductory remarks.

He outlined a package that he said would raise $50.5 million more for roads and bridges in the first year, with $39.8 million for the state highway fund and $10.7 million for counties, townships and cities.

The governor took his position after the Legislature’s interim committee on highway needs and financing formally submitted Senate Bill 1.

The committee’s plan would generate an estimated $100 million annually and is much broader than Daugaard’s proposal.

He advocated four sets of changes:

Raise the excise tax on motor vehicle purchases to 4 percent from the current 3 percent, a move that Daugaard said would generate an additional $26 million per year;

Raise the per-gallon taxes on motor fuels by 2 cents this year and add 2 cents each year after. Daugard didn’t provide an estimate of the additional revenue that would result. The top tax rate currently is 22 cents per gallon of straight gasoline. It has been 22 cents since 1999;

Raise vehicle registration fees by 10 percent and raise the registration fees for non-commercial trucks to 70 percent of commercial rates this year and 80 percent next year. Daugaard didn’t provide an estimate of the additional revenue that would come from those increases; and

Give counties and townships more flexibility to increase revenue for roads and bridges from local property owners with their approval. He didn’t provide specifics.

“I don’t want to leave this problem to future governors and future Legislatures and future generations,” Daugaard said. “Let’s fix this problem for good, this year.”

Daugaard was a state senator in 1999 and voted for the package of fuel-tax increases and license-plate fee increases.

Daugaard also talked Tuesday about the juvenile justice reforms that will be his other major emphasis this session.

Also Republicans have a super majority in both houses of the state legislature.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Makes sense, seeing as they get a ton of cross state traffic that won't otherwise stop except for gas.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Has anyone else started seeing an increase in the flashing yellow arrow to yield in a protected left turn lane, instead of just the solid green signal? It seems like C-DOT is putting those up now whenever an older signal is getting replaced.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 19, 2015

zzuupp
Jan 2, 2012

will_colorado posted:

Has anyone else started seeing an increase in the flashing yellow arrow to yield in a protected left turn lane, instead of just the solid green signal? It seems like C-DOT is putting those up now whenever an older signal is getting replaced.

Yes, they're appearing in this part of VA. A full set of signalhead replacements on a main road are getting the blue lights over reds, as well.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Communist Zombie posted:

Well thats one way to solve road funding. :stare:

South Dakota Governor Proposes Perpetual Gas Tax Increase

Also Republicans have a super majority in both houses of the state legislature.

The worst thing is the local papers are barely touching on this, because the papers are all about the R candidates.

Doogie threw some doozies in that state of the state.

Luckily, most of town is a well-planned wonder to drive. Traffic sucks, just cause we're on a grid system and the grid was designed for a town of 50k. Right now we're sitting around 250k. The highway/bypass works really well too, 29/229 wind up being the main N/S thoroughfares to everywhere but downtown, and like, most of the exits are either already SPUIs, or quickly being retrofitted.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

will_colorado posted:

I have not seen any of those in CO for protected lefts, only for unprotected lefts. But I also don't drive in an a lot of areas that have unprotected lefts, they are almost always protected only.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

AA is for Quitters posted:

The worst thing is the local papers are barely touching on this, because the papers are all about the R candidates.

Worst thing? A perpetually-increasing gas tax is a traffic engineer's dream come true! ♥

EDIT: Anyone who is interested in the I-84 Project is welcome to come join us at the Hartford Public Library this Wednesday for the official Scoping Meeting!

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 20, 2015

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/19/southbound-i-75-closed-after-major-bridge-collapse/22031819/

Welp.

Is this one of those "told you so" overpasses that needed replacing anyway?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A construction worker for the city doing work on the bridge, or just some random dude who happened to be a construction worker for an occupation?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baronjutter posted:

A construction worker for the city doing work on the bridge, or just some random dude who happened to be a construction worker for an occupation?

It looks like it feel on that excavator there, so I bet they were doing some work on that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a factor.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Javid posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/19/southbound-i-75-closed-after-major-bridge-collapse/22031819/

Welp.

Is this one of those "told you so" overpasses that needed replacing anyway?

It already was replaced. They were doing demo work on the old section, apparently.

I've worked with Kokosing on 75 and know some of their excavators. This is crazy.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 20, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This photo was posted in the OSHA thread.

Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but where is the part of the bridge that runs from the support on the right side of the road to the remaining ramp? Did they demolish that while having the excavator on the remaining part of the bridge?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gonna laugh if they had the excavator with hammer attachment on the bridge while hammering away. :negative:

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Cichlidae posted:

While old and young drivers both get in accidents more frequently, they're different kinds of accidents with different causes.

For wrong-way freeway entries, though, the elderly are heavily overrepresented. Distraction and inexperience won't lead most people to drive ten miles down a freeway going the wrong direction; being 105 years old and still driving because there's no mandatory retesting does.

We can spend millions on flashing signs and bright red strobes and extra WRONG WAY placards, but unless we solve the main causes of wrong-way crashes (elderly drivers and DUI/DWI), they're going to keep happening.

Where I am they stopped the mandatory testing for over 75 drivers because 'older drivers are experienced and don't need to subjected to the presumption of guilt.' . It was a blatant cost saving exercise to try to cut the budget shortfall and grey vote grab.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I heard some olds going on about how mandatory testing after a certain age just because old people start to cause more and more accidents is like racial profiling at airports or businesses refusing to let black people into their store because "they're statistically more likely to be criminals". God drat old white people love to imagine they're oppressed some how. AGEISM!!!!!!! 65+ apartments and condos are ok though because all young people are noisy and irresponsible.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I apologize that there's no English translation, but I came across this interesting article about a planned experiment by the Danish Transport Authority. As a background, some of the highways around Copenhagen have been upgraded with electronic speed signs. These are used to regulate the traffic during rush hour, warn about delays, and warn about emergency traffic coming from behind.

Now the transport authority wants to disable the signs for 5 months and put up old-fashioned, static signs in order to compare traffic patterns.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

NFX posted:

I apologize that there's no English translation, but I came across this interesting article about a planned experiment by the Danish Transport Authority. As a background, some of the highways around Copenhagen have been upgraded with electronic speed signs. These are used to regulate the traffic during rush hour, warn about delays, and warn about emergency traffic coming from behind.

Now the transport authority wants to disable the signs for 5 months and put up old-fashioned, static signs in order to compare traffic patterns.

Ideally they'd have collected that data before they put the new signs up, but you can't always get what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I believe they rebuilt the road (and added a lane in each direction) when they put up the electronic signs, so that's why they don't have any data from before.