Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kelp Plankton posted:

We're going to see some interesting stuff here very soon.

Where "soon" is defined to be "in about six months to a year" by the time Hussie actually gets the next update together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

frozentreasure posted:

They mean before the three year trip, when Jade was the portal to the meteor momentarily. She should have known from that that Vriska was still alive, and it's not like the memory loss from being incapacitated by Vriska was super long-term.

I was going to say "But that Roxy's dead," but do we actually know if the Jade and Jane that are with Calliope are from the same timeline? The way Jane sets up the mysterious extra protagonist and Jade continues from that point suggests they are, which means that yeah, Roxy's dead.

Jane's telling of Roxy's death occurs after the events depicted in the last few panels, which take place before the planned jailbreak.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hussdate up. He talks about the new pause

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I don't know how to feel about him pausing the comic for such a long time when he fully admits that the next section is basically all but done. Though I guess to prevent even MORE pauses it might just need to be this way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Burkion posted:

Hussdate up. He talks about the new pause

In summary for those who don't check immediately, and/or are terrible people that hate Hussdates: 4/13.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

frozentreasure posted:

Maybe I've just got a terrible memory, but I could've sworn that the Black Queen was removed from play because of Aradia's prototyping of a frog. And considering the only thing involving both the prototyping and Vriska's mind-control was Aradia being murdered, I don't think that really applies.
That just kept her from using her ring, such an offense it was to her vanity. She was still in charge of the myriad agents of Derse while the King led the armies on the battlefield. It was Vriska's manipul8ons that were in large part responsible for the Queen being exiled in the end.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
The game dev thing kind of explains the updates.

I used to think "Man, isn't this your JOB?"

Turns out no, it's not :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

frozentreasure posted:

They mean before the three year trip, when Jade was the portal to the meteor momentarily. She should have known from that that Vriska was still alive, and it's not like the memory loss from being incapacitated by Vriska was super long-term.

I'm just guessing wildly here, really. I mean, it's just as likely that Vriska's mind-whammy interacted with the Condesce's control in such a way as to hide her influence.

But I think it's kind of neat textually if Lord English still thinks the old timeline exists, and the Condesce mind-feeds them bad information that overwrites what they should know.

Also in re Vriska on the meteor, it may not be just her changing that's responsible for what's going on. Let me explain.

One of the things Karkat has to wrestle with on the journey through the Furthest Ring is the dreambubbles of all the doomed-timeline trolls who were more successful or skilled or lucky than they were. But that's not how the universe was "supposed" to happen, so their timeline was doomed and they died.

In the end, Vriska creating Jack Noir saved everyone's life. Well, minus the handful she killed. And who were killed by a distressingly understaffed insane clown posse. And the universe's biggest argument for the existence of the friendzone.

But yeah. SAVED. EVERYONE'S. LIFE.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think there's room for a satisfying and interesting Final Vriska who's redeemed herself from being terrible without having to be terrible in some other way, but it'd work best if we only see a smidgen of her right at the end. Same for most of the other characters, really - it's pretty classic storytelling for the heroes to solve their respective Big Personal Problem right before/during the climax, so a Game Over style confrontation where everything goes right because now our heroes aren't all hosed up would be pretty cool.

I wonder what happened to all the dead trolls in the dream bubbles, now that Gamzee's not turning them into sprites and Vriska's not around to turn them into pirates? I'm guessing this three year gap is going to be even less explored than the original one, which is a massive pity because there's a lot of potential for interesting interactions between an alive Vriska and a dead Tavros. Mostly in the form of awkward haunting.

Oh, and it might be interesting if anyone in the new timeline decides not to embrace John and Roxy since they're not their John and Roxy, the same way Davesprite struggled with not being "Real Dave". I mean, consider Jane's perspective - you murder your best friend while mind-controlled, then pow, an alternate version of her from the future appears and tells you no biggie you were just making room for Best Friend v2.0!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Per readmspa.org:

quote:

Using the method employed by Andrew Hussie in an old Formspring post, given that MSPA started on 12 Jun 2007, then to produce the pages so far at the perfectly fine rate of one page per day would take until 12 Nov 2032, earning him a 17 year 10 month break starting from today.

The microterapause is 17 and a half years ahead of schedule!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Glazius posted:

I'm just guessing wildly here, really. I mean, it's just as likely that Vriska's mind-whammy interacted with the Condesce's control in such a way as to hide her influence.

But I think it's kind of neat textually if Lord English still thinks the old timeline exists, and the Condesce mind-feeds them bad information that overwrites what they should know.

Also in re Vriska on the meteor, it may not be just her changing that's responsible for what's going on. Let me explain.

One of the things Karkat has to wrestle with on the journey through the Furthest Ring is the dreambubbles of all the doomed-timeline trolls who were more successful or skilled or lucky than they were. But that's not how the universe was "supposed" to happen, so their timeline was doomed and they died.

In the end, Vriska creating Jack Noir saved everyone's life. Well, minus the handful she killed. And who were killed by a distressingly understaffed insane clown posse. And the universe's biggest argument for the existence of the friendzone.

But yeah. SAVED. EVERYONE'S. LIFE.

Nah, that's bullshit. Because by that logic Gamzee going nuts and doing his chucklevoodoo's to create the jester and foster Jack's anger at dumb hats was also "supposed" to happen and thus he also SAVED. EVERYONE'S. LIFE. Same with Karkat and giving the universe cancer, turns out it was supposed to happen so why should he even feel bad about it?

Vriska's actions in Act 5 in creating Noir are directly contrasted with Aradia and Kanaya's interactions with Rose where they desperately try and stop her from creating the Green Sun, as even though it is something that is "supposed" to happen they quite understandably feel as if it would be morally wrong for them to not at least try to stop an event which would cause many horrible things to happen. The fact that Vriska never thinks about this and in fact only creates Jack so that she can have a closer relation to him thus making their eventual fight narratively appropriate, is meant to show that strangely enough Vriska being directly responsible for the creation of "The Demon" is kind of an evil thing to do and not justified in any way.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Something was pointed out to me that may turn out to be important.

quote:

JOHN: wait, does this really mean vriska's ghost stops existing, or...
JOHN: is her ghost just going to keep existing in the dream bubbles?

That, plus the fact that we have focused an awful lot on dead punk Vriska as of late, sounds like foreshadowing to me. Could we double down on the Vriskatime?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 20, 2015

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I am genuinely excited for A6A6A5, since with how Hussie is talking about it, it will either be actually amazing or hilariously terrible. In a prior update he also said it would be more "plot relevant" than prior Caliborn interludes, so I imagine it's when we'll see the payoff of him apparently designing the stage Callie, Jade, and Jane are currently hanging out around. I can barely await this lovely twist.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

lotus circle posted:

I don't know how to feel about him pausing the comic for such a long time when he fully admits that the next section is basically all but done. Though I guess to prevent even MORE pauses it might just need to be this way.

He just means the Caliborn section though. It makes sense to make the pause before that, rather than after.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Would it be too much to ask that we go back to commands instead of endless "==>" links?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nate RFB posted:

Would it be too much to ask that we go back to commands instead of endless "==>" links?

Probably.

Caliborn and John have both, in their own ways, completely messed up with the metafictional part of Homestuck; and in the real world Hussie is now following his own plot. The commands have been taken away from the readers.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Cat Mattress posted:

Probably.

Caliborn and John have both, in their own ways, completely messed up with the metafictional part of Homestuck; and in the real world Hussie is now following his own plot. The commands have been taken away from the readers.

To build on this:

Since Caliborn took over in Act 6 Act 6 we've had very, very few (maybe 2-3) input commands in the intermissions, while Homosuck which is full of them. This is very intentional, and it's actually a really cool thing for Hussie-the-author to do.

Hussie-the-character is dead and Caliborn has control of the narrative prompt, so on the one hand we have to watch a green skull jerk yell about everything, and on the other we're watching the characters in the intermission unspool "naturally," without any input from a higher authority. I think John's presence outside of canon now is meant to replace that sort of guiding force -- he communicates with the characters in the story to figure out how they want it to go, and then helps them take action by fiddling with continuity.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Well, we don't know what the deal is with the statues, but the lack of water can definitely be explained by the proximity to the sun. Probably really hot.

Not really? Dirk's Bro made a bunch of ironic jpeg Statues of Liberty back when he was alive, and having your hero find a ruined Statue of Liberty peeking out of the desert sands is how you convey that your mysterious desert world was in fact a post-apocalyptic Earth the whole time. That's all there is to it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Andrew Hussie posted:

Let's review the CONTENT CRUSH that would have entailed. Bad Anime -> Game Over -> Sadstuck -> Lowas Quest -> 100 retconned panels of oil -> A bunch of other poo poo -> Punky Serket -> Fantroll Storytime -> 8 password pages -> The Kiss On Horse Mountain -> and finally -> The Punchline.

Yes.

Yes calling the final update "The Punchline" is so, so accurate in so many respects.

Also, going over everything that's happened really puts into perspective just how... slow a three day update cycle is. At one point in time, this would have been about three weeks worth of content. Now it feels like a dripfeed.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also, of course it would be 8 password pages that lead up to Vriska.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxyclean posted:

Also, of course it would be 8 password pages that lead up to Vriska.

God Damnit Hussie

How did I not

Well I mean I knew it would lead to her coming back, but Jesus Christ he couldn't have telephoned this harder.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Burkion posted:

God Damnit Hussie

How did I not

Well I mean I knew it would lead to her coming back, but Jesus Christ he couldn't have telephoned this harder.

but we wanted Equius

we wanted Equius to come back so bad we didn't see the signs

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

McStephenson posted:

but we wanted Equius

we wanted Equius to come back so bad we didn't see the signs

I know I was too busy trying to align the password pages into the shape of a bulging horse torso that I didn't even bother to count them. I'm sure the rest of you were as well.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Speaking of Equius, the latest Paradox Space is... well, tangentially relevant anyway.

(the best way)

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Speaking of Equius, the latest Paradox Space is... well, tangentially relevant anyway.

(the best way)

The author of the raps will be Dirk.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
Guys if it wasnt for Act 6 we would never have gotten this magical sequence.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006865
Bathe in it. Enjoy the feeling. It is vile.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This Paradox Space makes me hope we'll see some detailing the new, retconned three year journey with Vriska in it. In fact the last page of the current arc should include a badly photoshopped-in Vriska making a scrawled comment.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I am loving Rose and Karkat's faces in the new PXS

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want more Paradox Space to be like this.

No wacky adventures- just the kids bullshitting around on the meteor.

Or more fantasy epic fanfiction of Rose and Dave. That was also swell

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

This Paradox Space makes me hope we'll see some detailing the new, retconned three year journey with Vriska in it. In fact the last page of the current arc should include a badly photoshopped-in Vriska making a scrawled comment.
I wonder how many people would notice if she got added to all of the old meteor comics.

(Yes, I checked. No sign of her.)

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Guys if it wasnt for Act 6 we would never have gotten this magical sequence.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006865
Bathe in it. Enjoy the feeling. It is vile.
Feels so weird to see Caliborn typing in that colour.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Burkion posted:

I want more Paradox Space to be like this.

No wacky adventures- just the kids bullshitting around on the meteor.

Or more fantasy epic fanfiction of Rose and Dave. That was also swell

Fanfiction of fanfiction of fanfiction of fanfiction of fanfiction.

What I am saying the that Paradox Space should be fanfiction all the way down. Double it all the way down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Fanfiction of fanfiction of fanfiction of fanfiction of fanfiction.

What I am saying the that Paradox Space should be fanfiction all the way down. Double it all the way down.

A fanfic should ideally have the author impersonating hussie, hussie impersonating dirk, dirk also impersonating dirk, and that dirk impersonating Jeanne Betancourt.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tunicate posted:

A fanfic should ideally have the author impersonating hussie, hussie impersonating dirk, dirk also impersonating dirk, and that dirk impersonating Jeanne Betancourt.
The full adaptation of Dirk's Detective Pony rewrite is the most meta poo poo I've ever read and it's also amazing. Not even ironically.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Tunicate posted:

Rewriting the entire book would show dedication. This guy takes it so much further than that - he completely transcends meta. I can't even describe the last few chapters of this book, it goes into some loving strange territory.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I just got to pages 21 and 46.

I am being lectured on the decline of memes as an artform by a person pretending to be a fictional character pretending to be a lovely author. Where did my life go so wrong right?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it gets better worse something-er

i just finished reading the last 4 or so chapters (kept having to do other things and forgetting to finish it) and it's pretty brainfucky

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm a little disappointed. I was looking forward to reading Dave's reviews of Karkat's commentaries on Alternian romance novels.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I know it is just a choice of the artist, but Dave looks pretty bulky and side-burny in this update.

It kind of reenforces my perception that the "kids" were actually in their late teens when the adventure started, and are in their early 20s by the time the story reaches the present. I mean, I know their canonical ages, but they are written and sometimes drawn as being a bit older than early teens.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Almost as if they started out being written by a man who was in his late 20s when the story started and is now in his 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would have to look pretty hard to find a book where kids don't act several years in advance of their stated ages.