Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

nsaP posted:

If that is fudging a stop sign then I don't think I've ever properly stopped.

Stop means stop, not slow way down then go. First ticket I ever got as a new driver was for a stop just like the one in the video. Completely safe, I had good visibility, but then so did the cop. The law says you must come to a complete stop, and ever since that ticket, I have. It irritates the hell out of people behind me, but I don't give a gently caress, not getting another ticket for something that silly and 3 seconds of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I full stop too, and always watch my rear view expecting a collision. Some people get super close after not expecting someone to actually stop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I know my bike well enough now that I can come to a complete stop, balance for 2-3 seconds while looking around, and take off again without ever taking my feet off the pegs. Sometimes I wonder if doing this is asking for trouble, if some cop sees me doing it and says "your feet never touched the ground so you couldn't have stopped at that sign."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

I grew up in Calgary. I was that 15-year-old, but my driving instructor just took me around his neighbourhood in SW Calgary; I'm pretty sure his name was Fernando and he was exactly as stereotypically Latin American as you might expect with that name (not Mexican, he was either Chilean or Argentinian).
Jetta TDI? I think we might have had the same guy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I got a ticket for a cali roll but I still do it. Everyone does something on the road that will offend someone else on this forum.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Jetta TDI? I think we might have had the same guy.
Mazda 323, dark green. This would have been about 1993 or 1994, I know I got my license at 16 but it was about 6 months past my birthday, meaning September. Driver's Ed was in early summer, like May/June, so probably I did it in 1994 at the age of 16 on my learner's. That car was stock except for the crudely-welded-on bar for the passenger-side brake pedal. None of those fancy "instructor's mirrors" or other malarky for us! It was a program run through CAA somehow, not the driver's ed class people took for high school credit. By reputation, that program was pretty grim. Not that the instruction was poor, just that you were stuck in a class with 20 other idiotic kids and nobody got more than about 20 minutes at a time of seat-time.

The first time I ever drove a diesel, in 2008 in Ontario, I was disappointed that my boss's Jetta TDI wasn't more different from the typical gasoline-engined mid-size. The company full-size pickup, a Dodge 2500, was good fun, though.

Getting back to bad driving, never never never get a speeding ticket in Europe if you are from North America. The ticket for getting nailed not slowing down enough going into a tiny village in the Netherlands (65 in a 50 zone, km/h of course) was about 50 Euros, or around $80 CDN at the time. The bank transaction fees - my Canadian account to a Scottish Bank to the Dutch Ministry of Justice - plus currency conversion was more than $120.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Is it illegal to accelerate quickly? Like if you floor it from a red light (without spinning your tires or screeching) and you don't go over the speed limit of the road can you be pulled over?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

eriddy posted:

Is it illegal to accelerate quickly? Like if you floor it from a red light (without spinning your tires or screeching) and you don't go over the speed limit of the road can you be pulled over?

Maybe. Depends on the state.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's always some catch-all law like "reckless driving" or "endangering public safety" that the police can throw at you for anything they don't like you doing.

In some states they'll charge you with "waste of a finite resource" for burning up more gas than you needed to.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

nm posted:

Maybe. Depends on the state whether the officer who saw you decides you were :rice:STREET RACING:rice: or not.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

eriddy posted:

If there is I hope a cop never sees me leave a light.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

eriddy posted:

You can get pulled over for anything, and ticketed at the officer's discretion. You could be cited for things like exhibition of speed or reckless driving which are pretty subjective, and could conceivably occur without breaking the posted speed limit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Note that you will never get a cite for this with anything American with a V8 made before 1973.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

eriddy posted:

I got pulled over for this several years ago. I was driving home from picking a girlfriend up from work and was just bored/dumb enough to really get on it leaving a light when I noticed the car in the left turn lane suddenly switch lanes to follow me. Then the blue lights came on.

Only got a warning, though. I'm fairly sure I never actually hit 40mph which is the speed limit on the road I was on.

I was in my '95 Toyota Previa, too. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

Note that you will never get a cite for this with anything American with a V8 made before 1973.

Thank god for this. Profiling is great when you're on the right side of it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

monsterzero posted:

You can get pulled over for anything, and ticketed at the officer's discretion. You could be cited for things like exhibition of speed or reckless driving which are pretty subjective, and could conceivably occur without breaking the posted speed limit.

That's the one they nail you with here in the Phoenix area, and it's a nasty ticket too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Raluek posted:

Thank god for this. Profiling is great when you're on the right side of it.

You may get a thumbs up though.

I was at the snake this weekend and some moron with a CTS-V coupe basically floored from the parking lot it to the corner where a CHP officer had been sitting for the last 30 minutes. Lucky bastard got a warning.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm a pretty boring driver unless I end up on a really deserted road or something. Always full stop at stop signs because I used to drive for a campus taxi service and you had to, plus my car goes into 1st really smoothly just as the car stops.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

monsterzero posted:

You can get pulled over for anything, and ticketed at the officer's discretion.

This is pretty much all you need to know. Traffic citations are a racket, the burden of proof is largely non-existent outside of DUI cases and it largely comes down to your word vs. the officer's...and the judge/magistrate's annual operating budget is largely funded by traffic citation revenue so guess who they're going to believe.

That being said, blending in and not driving like an rear end in a top hat goes a long way to staying off the radar. It's served me well - I haven't been cited for anything since 2008 and only pulled over one or two times in the same time span (and let off with verbal warnings both times.)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

The Locator posted:

Stop means stop, not slow way down then go. First ticket I ever got as a new driver was for a stop just like the one in the video. Completely safe, I had good visibility, but then so did the cop. The law says you must come to a complete stop, and ever since that ticket, I have. It irritates the hell out of people behind me, but I don't give a gently caress, not getting another ticket for something that silly and 3 seconds of my life.

That's a silly way to live your life....like saying "I got arrested for DUI so I don't drink and drive anymore"...

Crazy....everyone should have a road beer.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
I just spent a week driving in Massachusetts and Maine - It's been a while since I've had to deal with so many super-aggressive drivers. Twice while passing cars in the left lane of I95 I had someone about 8 feet behind me flashing their brights at me because I wasn't passing FAST ENOUGH. Not like I can just swerve into the middle lane and ram someone else out of the way so you can get to Market Basket 15 seconds sooner.

By the time we got home, driving on an ice-covered Seward Highway was downright leisurely.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

That being said, blending in and not driving like an rear end in a top hat goes a long way to staying off the radar. It's served me well - I haven't been cited for anything since 2008 and only pulled over one or two times in the same time span (and let off with verbal warnings both times.)

Please knock on wood, right loving now. Never say this because you will end up with a ticket. Hell, I was congratulating myself on 3 years of ownership of a Honda Fit without an accident and literally 30 seconds afterward was rear-ended by a Mercedes. Thankfully it was a slow hit with no apparent damage, but still, fate is a cruel mistress.

Also, flying under the radar is the best idea. I will never drive/ride a brightly colored vehicle again - after owning a bright red Mazdaspeed 3 and a bright yellow VFR (and getting tickets in both) I've decided that there is some merit to the superstition that bright vehicles flag you for attention from your local LEO. In my gray and black vehicles I've done the same amount of speeding and nobody seemed to care.

Nothing but a sea of black, white, gray and poo poo-brown vehicles for me from now on.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
We had a trooper here a few years ago who was pulling over people leaving one of the bars - pretty common, considering the location and the fact that pulling from a parking lot onto a road requires a complete stop.

This trooper was pulling people over for not stopping long enough. Unless you did a 3 count before pulling into the road you had a very good chance of getting stopped.

Everyone should just count on being pulled over at any time. A friend of mine got a DUI (that was later thrown out) after the local cop stopped her for having tail lights that were "too bright". On an 88 subaru wagon.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Ripoff posted:

Please knock on wood, right loving now. Never say this because you will end up with a ticket. Hell, I was congratulating myself on 3 years of ownership of a Honda Fit without an accident and literally 30 seconds afterward was rear-ended by a Mercedes. Thankfully it was a slow hit with no apparent damage, but still, fate is a cruel mistress.

Also, flying under the radar is the best idea. I will never drive/ride a brightly colored vehicle again - after owning a bright red Mazdaspeed 3 and a bright yellow VFR (and getting tickets in both) I've decided that there is some merit to the superstition that bright vehicles flag you for attention from your local LEO. In my gray and black vehicles I've done the same amount of speeding and nobody seemed to care.

Nothing but a sea of black, white, gray and poo poo-brown vehicles for me from now on.

My daily driver is a blueish silver 80s econobox that pretty much perfectly blends in with most roads. On one hand I live in a state with right turns on red so I constantly have to dodge people who decide to pull out into my car, but on the other hand I can drive like an rear end in a top hat without having to worry as much about cops. I tested the "red car" theory once when I found myself stopped at a red light with a riced, bright orange neon on my side and a cop behind me. Revved loudly when it was red, but pulled out barely touching the throttle and shifting at 2k, like clockwork the cop pulled over the poor neon who wasn't doing anything wrong except for having a fartcan on the back.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HEY VAPER posted:

My daily driver is a blueish silver 80s econobox that pretty much perfectly blends in with most roads. On one hand I live in a state with right turns on red so I constantly have to dodge people who decide to pull out into my car, but on the other hand I can drive like an rear end in a top hat without having to worry as much about cops. I tested the "red car" theory once when I found myself stopped at a red light with a riced, bright orange neon on my side and a cop behind me. Revved loudly when it was red, but pulled out barely touching the throttle and shifting at 2k, like clockwork the cop pulled over the poor neon who wasn't doing anything wrong except for having a fartcan on the back.

That's beautiful :allears:

I've have to try that sometime when I get the chance.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

eriddy posted:

Exhibition of Acceleration is the ticket you might get in Texas for just accelerating too much.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
American cars before 1973 are generally bigger than modern cars and came with engines that put out the equivalent of about 110hp SAE net and bias ply tires. What would they ticket you for, being walked by a Prius? Overpowering your non-vacuum assisted 4 wheel drum brakes?

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

American cars before 1973 are generally bigger than modern cars and came with engines that put out the equivalent of about 110hp SAE net and bias ply tires. What would they ticket you for, being walked by a Prius? Overpowering your non-vacuum assisted 4 wheel drum brakes?

Hey, my '71 LTD came with power brakes with disks in the front, says so right on the pedal :colbert:. And the 429 had 320hp net with a 2bbl so with the better 4bbl, intake, and ignition I bet it makes an honest 300hp SAE, on a good day, maybe.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd poo poo a brick if I saw something like that happening in my rear view mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ApxVyskuI

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
My initial reaction was to yell at my screen as if I were in the passenger seat next to him.

GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

nm posted:

You would still get pulled over, the cop would instead just chat with you and tell you about how his dad had one...

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

eriddy posted:

I've known people who have been cited for "Unnecessary Acceleration", usually in conjunction with street racing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ripoff posted:

Please knock on wood, right loving now. Never say this because you will end up with a ticket.

Agreed, I was pounding on my desk while I was typing that.

I think another factor that may be helping me is my DD is a company fleet vehicle registered to my employer (a very large tech company) through a fleet provider. Seems that every time I get tailed by a cop (which is often because I frequently work odd hours supporting mission critical hardware) they wave off in less than a minute, I'm assuming because they got my registration information.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I've known people who have been cited for "Unnecessary Acceleration", usually in conjunction with street racing.

Yeah I got that ticket once. Dropped the clutch and floored it at a green light. Wasn't actually speeding at any point so they wrote me up for "improper start." Guy was a dick about it too, he turned on his sirens like it was some sort of high-speed chase, then four thugs with street clothes on jump out of a unmarked GMC and hassled the poo poo out of me about it. As an aside, I have a small problem with unmarked cars but I have a REALLY BIG PROBLEM about guys jumping out of an unmarked car wearing gold chains, Sean Jean, and sneakers. I've had a number of interactions with cops that were dressed like they just got out of the club and it seems really unprofessional. I'm not really sure why the police here are allowed to dress like that.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I once got an "improper lane change" ticket because I used my turn signal to merge into a lane at 35 in a 35 just as the guy behind me a few car lengths in the lane I was merging into noticed I was merging and decided to fly up my rear end mid-change and there was a cop behind him. Somehow I was in the wrong?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

revmoo posted:

guys jumping out of an unmarked car wearing gold chains, Sean Jean, and sneakers. I've had a number of interactions with cops that were dressed like they just got out of the club and it seems really unprofessional. I'm not really sure why the police here are allowed to dress like that.

Well perhaps they need to be wearing undercover clothes to match their undercover car? Maybe?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

I once got an "improper lane change" ticket because I used my turn signal to merge into a lane at 35 in a 35 just as the guy behind me a few car lengths in the lane I was merging into noticed I was merging and decided to fly up my rear end mid-change and there was a cop behind him. Somehow I was in the wrong?

I had a cop pull me over and chew my rear end out after some old guy just kind of drifted into my lane at 10 under the speed limit right in front of me without signaling because I was "following too closely." When I pointed out the other driver's lane change he came back with "that's not how I saw it."

Apparently traffic enforcement is like calling balls and strikes in a baseball game.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

I had a cop pull me over and chew my rear end out after some old guy just kind of drifted into my lane at 10 under the speed limit right in front of me without signaling because I was "following too closely." When I pointed out the other driver's lane change he came back with "that's not how I saw it."

Apparently traffic enforcement is like calling balls and strikes in a baseball game.

from the cheap seats.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Get a dash cam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Sagebrush posted:

"waste of a finite resource"

nitrogen posted: