Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

Also the Soverign's dead, the OSI/Sphinx (SPHINX!) sniper shot him.

Ah, poo poo! I kept seeing people mention that he's dead, but I didn't realize why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I wanted that to really be Jonas Sr. so bad.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PostNouveau posted:

I wanted that to really be Jonas Sr. so bad.

I think everyone expects Jonas Sr. to return in some capacity. They've been teasing us since Twenty Years to Midnight at least.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I for real was expecting alien intervention because of 20YtM, yeah. In any case, a loving awesome "end" to season 5. Although I softened my opinions on it after a rewatch a few months ago anyway. It's still a pretty good season.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like that there is a none-zero chance we'll see the Sovereign and General Triester again.

I didn't catch it on first viewing, but the entire light sabre battle was in their heads.

If he's a straight up comic-grade Hulk, a nuclear explosion would just piss him off - they've tried nuking Banner's Hulk dead-on no less than three or four times, I think. I expect them to visit the moon and just have Treister up there bouncing around or sequestered in some ultra-secret OSI moon base, because I thought of Space Cowboys as he rode the control tower out of orbit (Tommy Lee Jones' character had pancreatic cancer in that and rode a satellite out of Earth's orbit that had a ton of nukes strapped to it).

Treister Hulk: "Ever wonder why the moon don't rotate, son? 'Cause the orig'nal Guild, 'fore it went all evilly sneevilly, used th' Orb t'make it stop spinnin' so's we could have a spot t'meet an' negotiate with E.T. on th' Dark Side."

Dean: "But what about the moon landings? And we didn't have rockets to *get* to the moon until the 60s."

"Heh! The first five of 'em were as fake as a politician's promise. The rest of 'em were a real pain in the pucker since people we're gettin' 'spicious - so we had'ta capture and brainwash the command module pilot every time he came 'round back. Apollo 13, though - them boys was never in any danger - we brought 'em down, partied like it was nine-teen-ninedy-nine, then sent 'em home. Shame 'bout Swigert, though - we told'im not to go havin' ~relations~ with them neon green sex slaves from the Whosimawhutsit's delegation 'cause they were radia-active, but he didn't listen. The cansker got'im. Cansker...I HATE CANSKER!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 20, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hank doing Master Blaster was absolutely brilliant and had me almost in tears. The writing on this show is just so drat good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anybody know when/if it'll be online? I'd like to watch it again.

e: Oh hey, here it is.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 20, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That was absolutely incredible, and I loved how they found time for little moments with some of the characters back down on the ground, like the Order of the Triad, and Dermott.

Season 6 is going to be so amazing. Right now though I think I'm going to rewatch all of season 5 with this queued up as a finale.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone else get faked out by Jonas Junior's envy for his brothers body?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

RandomPauI posted:

I thought that's where the episode was going to go, especially with the more sinister tone he took with the investors and "the terms". Now we may never know?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't believe they had a space ship station being bombarded by asteroids and didn't put in a Black Hole reference.

Also, I'm ever so slightly worried that they're doing a Season 5 of Angel - the one where the team stopped being poor private investigators* and moved in to Wolfram & Hart with it billions of dollars and literally limitless resources. Because apart from El Diablo Robotico that season just wasn't fun.

* Who lived in their own ten story hotel.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can't believe they had a space ship station being bombarded by asteroids and didn't put in a Black Hole reference.

Also, I'm ever so slightly worried that they're doing a Season 5 of Angel - the one where the team stopped being poor private investigators* and moved in to Wolfram & Hart with it billions of dollars and literally limitless resources. Because apart from El Diablo Robotico that season just wasn't fun.

* Who lived in their own ten story hotel.

Worry not: Rusty will blow his newfound wealth in 2-3 episodes, and will rebuild the old Venture compound in hilarious fashion.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Red posted:

Worry not: Rusty will blow his newfound wealth in 2-3 episodes, and will rebuild the old Venture compound in hilarious fashion.

It'll get hostilely (and *passionately*) taken over by that techno-eroticist ninja.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not giving up hope that when Doc. was holding Jonas, he injected Doc with something to re-grow his body.

And possibly a Star Trek II katra transfer for Jonas' mind.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

RIP Henchman Zero.

You mean Zero. Just zero.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cheesus posted:

I'm not giving up hope that when Doc. was holding Jonas, he injected Doc with something to re-grow his body.

And possibly a Star Trek II katra transfer for Jonas' mind.

Ah, yeah, gently caress yeah. I think, if anything, every time he had a chance to be mature, Jonas Jr. was incredibly petty.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Ah, yeah, gently caress yeah. I think, if anything, every time he had a chance to be mature, Jonas Jr. was incredibly petty.

Yeah, I like that it was a thing that no matter how much a dick Doc is and how much he overreacted to it, Jonas Jr was genuinely constantly being a passive aggressive dick to him.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I was really hoping that JJ's cancer was another tumor and that the Venture's would reproduce like cancerous matryoshka dolls.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I'm not sure if this got mentioned previously but anyone who is a fan of minor VB characters might be happy to know that Brendon Small reprises the Hector and Swifty characters (slightly renamed to "Victor and Tiny") on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast. I was catching up with that recently and was amazed to hear them.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, just the voices really - the personalities are fairly different and they have different backstories. I'd hesitate to call them the same characters.

Can anybody make a GIF of Swifty turning into Incorrigible/Fat Choice and his hole spitting out all of the other Revenge Society members? It was such a cool heist movie moment.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Red posted:

Did he ask you for money yet?

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I thought that there was no way they could ever match or outdo Operation P.R.O.M, but Doc and Jackson somehow keep managing to knock it out of the loving park. I really loved the sentimental moment of Rusty and Dean fixing the shield. 6 can't come enough

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

When the Investors showed up, my first thought was "These guys seem stupidly powerful, how is anyone supposed to stop them?" Then Killinger killed them with ease. :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In, somehow, the show's first actual lightsaber fight. I don't know how they had enough restraint to save that until post-Season 5.

Then again...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhonne posted:

When the Investors showed up, my first thought was "These guys seem stupidly powerful, how is anyone supposed to stop them?" Then Killinger killed them with ease. :allears:

I wonder if one of the seats are going to be held for Rusty since Killinger was trying to get him to be true to himself.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder if one of the seats are going to be held for Rusty since Killinger was trying to get him to be true to himself.

Nah. I think that ship has sailed.

If anything, before it was revealed that JJ had cancer and was dying, I was wondering if the big secret behind why he wasn't hanging around and schmoozing it up with the gamblers was that JJ himself was going to join the Guild.

Because that would totally put the literary screws to poor Doc, and let's face it, that's what this show has been about ever since the pilot.

So... who are the members of the new Council of 13? I didn't count it all out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Nah. I think that ship has sailed.

If anything, before it was revealed that JJ had cancer and was dying, I was wondering if the big secret behind why he wasn't hanging around and schmoozing it up with the gamblers was that JJ himself was going to join the Guild.

Because that would totally put the literary screws to poor Doc, and let's face it, that's what this show has been about ever since the pilot.

So... who are the members of the new Council of 13? I didn't count it all out.

1. Dr. Henry Killinger
2. Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
3. Dr. Z
4. Dragoon
5. Red Mantle
6. Dr. Phineas Phage
7. Phantom Limb
8. Watch
9. Ward

After that, I have no idea if the following are actually invited to join:

- Gary (21)
- Radical Left
- Professor Incorrigible/Impossible
- Baron Underbheit

It seems like the following are certainly dead:

- Wild Fop
- Boggles the Clue Clown
- Don Hell
- Steppenwolf
- The Nerve
- The Sovereign
- The Kamen Rider/Bug Samurai guy
- Zero/Scott Hall

MIA

- Vendata
- Fat Choice
- Mommy Longlegs
- Monsenor

Phage and Dr. Mrs. both made it out of the councilroom, so it's possible Monsenor and Longlegs escaped. We didn't see what happened to Fat Choice.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Mommy Longlegs got shot quite a bit during the escape sequence, she is probably pretty dead.

I won't consider the sovereign dead until confirmed. Could have been a random eagle!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I doubt Professor Incorrigible/Impossible will be there as he was seen in the final scene at JJ's funeral.
It will be Bear with a knife.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I vote for Brickfrog, Truckules, and Plugface

Red
Apr 15, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

Mommy Longlegs got shot quite a bit during the escape sequence, she is probably pretty dead.

So was Dr. Mrs.

With this show, I don't consider anybody dead until we see their ghost, and even then...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Or Frogman with a brick.

I couldn't help but notice that one of the scenes Brock is wearing his old get up from season one. Probably a flash back, but considering Rusty is rich, who knows maybe he hires Brock as a full time employee. Let's face it. Brock keeps saying it's a job but he cares for the Doc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Red posted:

So was Dr. Mrs.

With this show, I don't consider anybody dead until we see their ghost, and even then...

Dr. Killinger and his Magic Murderbag were not around Mommy Longlegs

Red
Apr 15, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Dr. Killinger and his Magic Murderbag were not around Mommy Longlegs

This is Venture Bros. - Publick/Hammer will bring her back if there's something fun to do with her.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Red posted:

So was Dr. Mrs.

Comic book logic is no body, no death. And there specifically was a line that there was no body for JJ's funeral, referring to him blowing up. But you never know, maybe he somehow fused with Treister.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Comic book logic is no body, no death. And there specifically was a line that there was no body for JJ's funeral, referring to him blowing up. But you never know, maybe he somehow fused with Treister.

I would believe Treister would survive the G2 explosion, and the radiation he received cured his cancer.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I want Treister and JJ to team up now.

"Who run Barter Town? Jonas Jr. run Barter Town!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Y'know we should all actually be in awe of the fact that Rusty's shield actually seemed to work quite well. Hell, he even knew his design well enough to know how the manual reboot should have been done had his workers not changed the design.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

axleblaze posted:

Y'know we should all actually be in awe of the fact that Rusty's shield actually seemed to work quite well. Hell, he even knew his design well enough to know how the manual reboot should have been done had his workers not changed the design.
I don't think the problem with Rusty has ever been that he isn't smart. His problem is that he's never tried. I mean, poo poo, he developed all that cloning technology himself, right? And the amount of money he was being given for the Gargantua 2 shield was finally enough for him to get off his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Rusty just really couldn't stand out because he was living under his dad's shadow and it's kinda hard to overcome one of the legendary super scientists as everyone as said about him.