Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So I've never had to deal with them so I don't get the hate on Navient, whats the deal there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

M_Gargantua posted:

So I've never had to deal with them so I don't get the hate on Navient, whats the deal there?

Everything you'd like to do, other than pay off your loan over 20 years, basically doesn't have a system to accommodate it.

We paid off two of our loans at the same time, which required us to call in. The end result was one loan with a positive .84 and a -.79 balance for the other.

I've had similar problems with EdFinancial but it's used less.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Sallie Mae Navient's customer service is also really, really bad, even for a student loan company.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

My girlfriend is still going through hell with Navient.

They did not contact her to request renewal forms for her income-based repayment (despite all communication being paper and coming to our house), so her payment jumped to over $3,000 a few months ago. The first time this happened she requested A) they turn off autopay and B) they change her IBR for the next payment. They did not turn off autopay, and when she called the next time (prompted by her seeing the Autopay for $3xxx 'processing'), the support rep said "the last rep was incorrect, we cannot process IBR forms in under 30 days, so your payment is still $3xxx." She was able to have her bank stop payment, luckily. (Rant: If she only had $3,000 in the bank and needed to, say, pay rent, feed herself, put gas in the car to go to work, etc... she'd be ruined. That's hosed up.) She attempted to submit her repayment forms but has been completely ignored by the "Submit My Forms" group, and phone support has told her they're basically opaque -- they get your stuff and get back to you, or they don't. 30 days after every email she sends to them, she gets a bounceback notice that the email was never opened. She has gone through the process of contacting support, requesting deferment, and not getting deferment until the second attempt every month since this began. Every time she submitted the forms, she'd call back in 24-48 hours to see if the SMF group acted on them, and every time the answer was obviously "no". Finally she got her case escalated to someone who could actually provide support and their suggestion was to circumvent Navient altogether and submit her income documentation through the studentloans.gov site, who would then forward them to Navient. We have yet to see Navient reflect this, but she did get confirmation that her documentation was forwarded from studentloans.gov to Navient.

Navient is loving garbage.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 20, 2015

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

a worthy uhh posted:

Navient is loving garbage.

Their objective is to screw each and every individual ever on the earth. They can get away with it because student loans are free money to them and they WILL be repayed. The courts decided that Detroit's bankruptcy can circumvent a state constitutional amendment and screw a bunch of retirees out of their pension, but student loans are still untouchable.

Their entire goal is to extend your loan as far as they possibly can so they can squeeze every cent of interest from you. They will gladly lower your monthly payment so that they can own your rear end for life, and conversely if you try to overpay they make it extremely difficult to apply payments in a way that is most beneficial to you.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
Are there any tax implications for cashing out a CD?

Basically I just found out I have ~4,000 in a CD that gets lovely interest (1%) until its final maturation in 2016. I figure I can just eat the $6 early withdrawal fee and deposit the money in my higher interest Roth IRA, but I don't know if I'd have to pay tax on that $4,000.

TwoSheds fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 20, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

TwoSheds posted:

Are there any tax implications for cashing out a CD?

Basically I just found out I have ~4,000 in a CD that gets lovely interest (1%) until its final maturation in 2016. I figure I can just eat the $6 early withdrawal fee and deposit the money in my higher interest Roth IRA, but I don't know if I'd have to pay tax on that $4,000.
You'll only pay tax on the interest, and you'll do that regardless when the CD matures, this will just move it up to 2015 vs 2016. Your bank will provide a 1099 next January.

Do it, do it now!

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

SiGmA_X posted:

You'll only pay tax on the interest, and you'll do that regardless when the CD matures, this will just move it up to 2015 vs 2016. Your bank will provide a 1099 next January.

Do it, do it now!

Will do, thanks!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

a worthy uhh posted:

My girlfriend is still going through hell with Navient.

Always use the Office of the Customer Advocate phone number when dealing with Navient/Sallie Mae:

https://www.navient.com/about/who-we-are/leadership/advocate/default.aspx

Save yourself a headache.

Sallie Mae hosed up transcribing my Social Security number when they bought out my loans and I had to spend 2 months proving to them I was a real person. That was fun.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Credit Karma just had a massive update - you can now view your TransUnion and Equifax reports/scores for free

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 23, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Credit Karma just had a massive update - you can now view your TransUnion and Equifax reports/scores for free
I assume this was a move to match Mint since they added scores from Equifax a little while ago. Between the two I could at least keep an eye on Transunion and Equifax for free, but it's convenient the CK has both now. Doesn't look like much else changed besides some visual flourishes, and they dropped the letter grades from your credit score breakdown.

Thanks for the heads up.

edit: I guess they started rolling this out to some users almost a month ago.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I miss how the main screen would show the balances of my debt and how much they went down each month - that was kind of cool :(

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
CK changed my credit score with the update. It went up ~60pts for the last 3 months. Wtf?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VantageScore changed their formula.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I have $10k. I have completed a university degree (approx $35000).

How should I invest what I have at the moment?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Please list: debt, income, assets, rough household expenditures in a given month. Life goals, short and long term saving goals.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Raphisonfire posted:

I have $10k. I have completed a university degree (approx $35000).

How should I invest what I have at the moment?
More numbers needed. You have 35k of debt? What is your income, and other debt besides student loans, emergency fund situation (in both gross terms and in month count (fund $ divided by budgeted monthly expenditures))? That should get us going.

If you're debt free and have 3-6mo of efund already, max your 2014 Roth IRA, and put the other $4500 into your 2015 Roth IRA contributions.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Please list: debt, income, assets, rough household expenditures in a given month. Life goals, short and long term saving goals.

Debt: $35000 from uni degree
income: $1000 per month
assets: $5000
household expenditure: $400

life goals: not really sure

short term goals: pay off degree quickly
long term goals: start saving toward house and investing for retirement

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is the $5000 in something liquid?

Do you really live on $400 a month with $600 in discretionary spending? What are your loan minimum payments?

Your goals need to be establishing a budget that accurately and honestly lay out where your money goes each month and socking away an emergency fund in cash for at least 6 months.

Do you live in a low cost of living area? $12,000 annual salary is nuts for someone with a college degree. Like, below federal poverty level. You almost certainly qualify for public assistance for food and housing.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Is the $5000 in something liquid?

Do you really live on $400 a month with $600 in discretionary spending? What are your loan minimum payments?

Your goals need to be establishing a budget that accurately and honestly lay out where your money goes each month and socking away an emergency fund in cash for at least 6 months.

Do you live in a low cost of living area? $12,000 annual salary is nuts for someone with a college degree. Like, below federal poverty level. You almost certainly qualify for public assistance for food and housing.

edit: yes it's liquid assets.

I live with my parents at the moment and I don't go out that much.

The minimum loan payments are when I'm earning over 52k a year (because I'm in Australia) but I want to pay that off sooner rather than later.

the $12,000 annual salary is because I'm currently a job seeker, I'm trying to find work but with a mathematics degree but it's proving to be harder than I thought. So I am planning on going into teaching that will take another year of study.

Raphisonfire fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 24, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It should not be hard to find work with a degree in mathematics.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Raphisonfire posted:

the $12,000 annual salary is because I'm currently a job seeker, I'm trying to find work but with a mathematics degree but it's proving to be harder than I thought. So I am planning on going into teaching that will take another year of study.
Do not loving do this unless your passion is teaching. It is soul destroying even if you do love teaching. Math tutoring is easier and more lucrative anyway, but get in touch with your alumni association, they should have some connections for you. I agree that you should not have that hard of a time finding a job with a math degree.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Its time to find a job, and stick part of that money into your emergency fund and the other part against the loans. Get a job.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It should not be hard to find work with a degree in mathematics.

Yes, I'm confused by this as well. There should be plenty of statistics/informatics/tutoring/actuarial science jobs that'd gladly hire a mathematician. (source: I recently graduated as mathematician)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I just started a FT-job with benefits - my first one, really. Trying to figure out how I should store my money.

Income: ~$2,700 post-tax

Savings: $1,200 in the bank

Debts
$43,400 in private debt to relatives for graduate school - likely no interest
$800 on Discover card, paid off monthly

Expenses/mo
Rent: $550
Transportation: $400
Cellphone: $55
Misc: ~$100

My employer offers retirement savings, 25% match up to 1% of salary (I put in 4%, get 1% match), which I was planning on taking.

Planning on saving as much as I can, but I don't know how I should stash it - Savings account?

Having a decent amount of money is pretty new to me, and I'd like to put as much away in a way that is still somewhat accessible as I'm not sure if I'll end up moving and would need funds for that.

Long term goals would be saving for a house and paying off my debt to family (which I still need to discuss with them).

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Massasoit posted:

I just started a FT-job with benefits - my first one, really. Trying to figure out how I should store my money.

Income: ~$2,700 post-tax

Savings: $1,200 in the bank

Debts
$43,400 in private debt to relatives for graduate school - likely no interest
$800 on Discover card, paid off monthly

Expenses/mo
Rent: $550
Transportation: $400
Cellphone: $55
Misc: ~$100

My employer offers retirement savings, 25% match up to 1% of salary (I put in 4%, get 1% match), which I was planning on taking.

Planning on saving as much as I can, but I don't know how I should stash it - Savings account?

Having a decent amount of money is pretty new to me, and I'd like to put as much away in a way that is still somewhat accessible as I'm not sure if I'll end up moving and would need funds for that.

Long term goals would be saving for a house and paying off my debt to family (which I still need to discuss with them).
I would say put 4% into retirement, then save 3 months of expenses and place it into a savings account, and then pay off your debts, and then up retirement savings to 15% and start saving for a house. Get out of debt first.

That is a bullshit 401k match, you should post up the fund options, its possible they're horrible and you'll be better off not taking the match...

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

I would say put 4% into retirement, then save 3 months of expenses and place it into a savings account, and then pay off your debts, and then up retirement savings to 15% and start saving for a house. Get out of debt first.

That is a bullshit 401k match, you should post up the fund options, its possible they're horrible and you'll be better off not taking the match...

The plan is a 403(b) plan through Mutual of America with an entire booklet of plan options. Something else to consider is that I wouldn't be 100%vested until 5 years and would not have any vesting until after two years and I'm not sure how long I will be with this organization.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

SiGmA_X posted:

Even with horrible ERs, it's hard to beat a 25% instant ROI, don't be too hasty

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bloody Queef posted:

Even with horrible ERs, it's hard to beat a 25% instant ROI, don't be too hasty
If he stays there 2yrs+. I didn't know that when I made the statement, but I suspected the plan was going to have some big catch if the match % was so low.

I do agree though, it is usually always, always worth taking the match due to the instant ROI.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SiGmA_X posted:

I do agree though, it is usually always, always worth taking the match due to the instant ROI.

"usually always" is like saying "sometimes never".

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I have several credit cards with high limits and 0 balances - should I close them?

Right now I have:

Amex Green (use for most day-to-day purchases)
CC 1 - $6800 limit
CC 2 - $4500 limit
CC 3 - $2000 limit
CC 4 - $3500 limit

I'm thinking about closing 3 and 4, and having 1 and 2 for emergencies (dog surgery, house implodes, etc).

I know closing accounts isn't great for your credit, but how much of a blow would it be? Is it better to keep them open?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I have several credit cards with high limits and 0 balances - should I close them?

Right now I have:

CC 1 - $6800 limit
CC 2 - $4500 limit
CC 3 - $2000 limit
CC 4 - $3500 limit

I'm thinking about closing 3 and 4, and having 1 and 2 for emergencies (dog surgery, house implodes, etc).

I know closing accounts isn't great for your credit, but how much of a blow would it be? Is it better to keep them open?

The blow will depend on age of the closed accounts, but as long as you have at least a few lines of credit in good standing remaining, closing old ones shouldn't hurt you particularly badly - I wouldn't worry about it overmuch unless you're right on the line between credit categories and need your credit score for something pretty soon. Scores are proprietary, so no one will be able to tell you with certainty what it'll do.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Thanks! On that note, thinking about swapping my Amex Green for the Starwoods Preferred card - anyone have experiences with it? Or is there a better charge card with rewards out there?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Right now I have:

CC 1 - $6800 limit
CC 2 - $4500 limit
CC 3 - $2000 limit
CC 4 - $3500 limit

Do any of those have annual fees?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If they don't have fees, don't have a bonus you want to churn, and you have an easy way to track them, then you might as well leave them open.

asur fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 26, 2015

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

No fees.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you don't use them eventually they may be closed for you so you will have to actively charge to them once a year or something.

I just had a Visa card close because I didn't use it for three years. I didn't really care though.

Also all those cards really have a low limit. High limits are more around $20k+.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Close them without regard. I closed my oldest account around a year ago, and my credit score is still right around 800.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
An open account is just one more thing that can get nailed by fraud. Just close them. Your credit score is not a video games score. A few points aren't worth the hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dead Pressed posted:

Your credit score is not a video games score.

You just don't understand the need to min/max LIFE.