Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

^^^ I don't keep up anymore but this past year there has been some really killer deals on the 6D + 24-105 combo. I bought my kit in February and it basically cost like $200-$300 extra for the 24-105. Not to mention a free bad rear end printer.

Not that those 2 lenses aren't great, just not worth passing up a great deal on the 24-105 imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
You guys need to hush now- you're making me regret not getting one of those kits when I got my 6D this summer. Maybe I should think about selling my 17-40 and making the switch.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Thanks for the input, ya'll.

As I was talking to a retail salesperson about the 6D, he suggested the 24-70 /4 over the 24-105 /4, over a consideration of "sharpness". I raised my eyebrows and he went on, not making a ton of sense, but I couldn't tell if it was my lack of knowledge about color fringe, or if he was just trying to get me to buy a more expensive lens.

I'd use the 24-105 for posed portraits in any case, so I think I know which lens I'll probably get, but what could he have been talking about?

I'd actually suggest going the used route and getting the 24-105 + 85 1.8. That gives you a walkaround lens and a proper portrait lens. Or maybe just a used Tamron 24-70 VC. I'm assuming your budget is how much these lenses are going for brand-new.

EDIT: Just saw this deal. http://www.canonwatch.com/deal-alert-canon-ef-24-105mm-f4l-648/

$648 for a new 24-105 which puts it close to what it goes for used.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 30, 2014

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Never, and I've usually got my camera banging around at the end of a shoulder strap.

I bought it and I can't get the tab to come loose when it shouldn't so I'm happy. It does look like it could get loose over time but nothing a little piece of duct tape to tighten up the tolerance couldn't fix. Overall this seems like a really nice grip for the price.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Stuck between getting a new 7d for 1k or shelling out for the 7d mk ii. I'd love the picture quality going FF with the 6d, but the lens options don't play in my favor for wide-angle stuff. Most of the primes would work for either side, but something like the cheap 10-18mm doesnt exist unless you more than double the price.

Also trying to justify the new focus system to capture 1 year old playing around, where my m4/3 system doesnt really excel at.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

dietcokefiend posted:

Stuck between getting a new 7d for 1k or shelling out for the 7d mk ii. I'd love the picture quality going FF with the 6d, but the lens options don't play in my favor for wide-angle stuff. Most of the primes would work for either side, but something like the cheap 10-18mm doesnt exist unless you more than double the price.

Also trying to justify the new focus system to capture 1 year old playing around, where my m4/3 system doesnt really excel at.

The canon refurb store has the 7D in stock for under 1k right now. Still a great camera, although after getting a 6D this year I'd have a hard time giving up the high ISO performance. What about a 70D?

I have an 8-16 mm for my 60D, and I almost always shoot it at 8. Even though its more, I think the 17-40 on a FF is a lot more versatile than a UWA zoom on crop.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The canon refurb store has the 7D in stock for under 1k right now. Still a great camera, although after getting a 6D this year I'd have a hard time giving up the high ISO performance. What about a 70D?

I have an 8-16 mm for my 60D, and I almost always shoot it at 8. Even though its more, I think the 17-40 on a FF is a lot more versatile than a UWA zoom on crop.

Sticking with a semi-pro body and up... got a cross between personal and work with this particular body and I'd prefer ergonomics and durability over some features.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Please talk me out of buying the 55-250mm STM. I just bought a 700D (T5i) and with the cashback deal Canon is running at the moment it would cost me ~140€. I have actually used it a few times (my father has it) and I loving love it. It's really sharp, the IS works like some kind of black magic and the AF is fast and absolutely silent.

The only cons for me are:
- I don't really have the money right now

:(

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 3, 2015

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Popelmon posted:

Please talk me out of buying the 55-25mm STM. I just bought a 700D (T5i) and with the cashback deal Canon is running at the moment it would cost me ~140€. I have actually used it a few times (my father has it) and I loving love it. It's really sharp, the IS works like some kind of black magic and the AF is fast and absolutely silent.

The only cons for me are:
- I don't really have the money right now

:(

No one would look down upon you for whoring yourself out for new gear.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Maybe you can prostitute yourself on Tinder, but instead of 100 roses say you'll do a BBBJABFE for Zeiss CP 25mm.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

somnolence posted:

No one would look down upon you for whoring yourself out for new gear.

You're not helping :argh:.

Is there any good reason not to buy it? I'm not going to switch to FF anytime soon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You could definitely get more than €140 if you resold it!

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Popelmon posted:

You're not helping :argh:.

Is there any good reason not to buy it? I'm not going to switch to FF anytime soon.

It's a great lens, really not any good reasons against it other than you said you don't have the money right now. Good range, good optics, good IS, and it weighs next to nothing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You could definitely get more than €140 if you resold it!

True

timrenzi574 posted:

It's a great lens, really not any good reasons against it other than you said you don't have the money right now. Good range, good optics, good IS, and it weighs next to nothing.

That's what I was afraid of :(

Ah well, I just bought it. It's not that I don't have the money but I was saving up for a 6 month trip to Africa. Guess it will be a week shorter - but with more pictures of birds!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I got the Canon 85mm f/1.8 for Christmas. Today I finally used it and man is it a wonderful lens. It also feels so heavy and well made compared to my kit lens.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I got the Canon 85mm f/1.8 for Christmas. Today I finally used it and man is it a wonderful lens. It also feels so heavy and well made compared to my kit lens.

Such a great lens!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Probably the best value in the canon lineup after the kit, too. Bit awkward on crop sensors, but still really good.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I recently splurged and got a 24-70L Mk 1.

My son is not impressed.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Not sure if the thread creator is still around (or cares), but shouldn't the 7D mk II be added to the wonderful OP?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I just found out that canon now makes a cheap 24mm ef-s pancake and I am pretty jealous of you canon people for the first time.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

CrushedWill posted:

Not sure if the thread creator is still around (or cares), but shouldn't the 7D mk II be added to the wonderful OP?

Yep, I'll get it updated. Haven't had much to post lately, but that should have been added.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol
I have a 60D but I want to upgrade to full frame. I looked at the last couple of pages and the OP but don't really see the answer to my question. Namely, which should I get? When I look at the features, it seems like the 6D and 5Dm3 have tradeoffs and I'm not sure if one is head over heels better than the other. Is there anyone here who's used both or are familiar enough with both to offer an opinion on which is better?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

crotchgobbler posted:

I have a 60D but I want to upgrade to full frame. I looked at the last couple of pages and the OP but don't really see the answer to my question. Namely, which should I get? When I look at the features, it seems like the 6D and 5Dm3 have tradeoffs and I'm not sure if one is head over heels better than the other. Is there anyone here who's used both or are familiar enough with both to offer an opinion on which is better?

The only advantages the 6d has over the 5d3 are:
Lighter
Cheaper
Slightly better high ISO performance
Less banding if you push shadows @ base ISO (still noisy as whoah, but not as patterned)

Everything else is in the 5d3's favor. More robust, more body controls, faster frame rate, much more comprehensive AF, dual card slots, better video, higher resolution, larger viewfinder with better coverage, more custom setting slots

This does not mean the 6D is a bad camera - it's pretty much a full frame version of your 60D, so it will be very familiar to you. It's just not nearly as loaded

Edit: Almost forgot, top SS is 1/4k on the 6D, but I can't remember the last time I used 1/8k shutter speed for anything. I guess if you do that a lot it would be a big deal to replace that functionality with ND filters or stopping down another stop. The flash sync speed is different (1/180 vs 1/200) but that is a fraction of a stop, and basically meaningless.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 19, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since this is a common thing to say, the 6D body is also magnesium. The exception is the top plate for Wifi and GPS.

This one may not necessarily be a good thing for photography. I could swear I've read that the 5D3 has a stronger optical lowpass filter than the 6D, which means that latter may have slightly sharper in focus areas, if the glass resolves well.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since this is a common thing to say, the 6D body is also magnesium. The exception is the top plate for Wifi and GPS.

I'm not even worried about the plastic as far as robustness goes, good polycarbs can take a hell of a beating. The 6d has much mushier feeling buttons & dials, and (I think?) less robust weather sealing but I may be just imagining that I read that last one. And who knows anyway since Canon's rating standard for weather sealing is to compare things to 20 year old cameras. The build quality would be a step above what he was used to with his 60D as far as overall heft & how sturdy it feels when squeezed in the hand, but the controls will be just as soft and mushy as he's used to.

Combat Pretzel posted:

This one may not necessarily be a good thing for photography. I could swear I've read that the 5D3 has a stronger optical lowpass filter than the 6D, which means that latter may have slightly sharper in focus areas, if the glass resolves well.

Doesn't it also do the line skipping differently for video? Literally everything else Canon makes (now at least) has horrendous moire in video compared to the 5d3. It may all be LPF, but I was under the impression it was how they did the readout also. I guess with this one, one could buy a number of those pop-in video antialiasing filters for the mirrorbox for the money saved anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, a quick google tells me that the 5D3 does pixel binning. There still has to be something with the lowpass filter, because there's a bunch of people that went through the troubles of removing it for video reasons.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

timrenzi574 posted:

top SS is 1/4k on the 6D

It is annoying on a bright day when you want to use a 35mm at 1.4 and you don't have a nd filter on hand

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
So, Samsung seems to have scored a bit of a coup.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

What kind of review is this? The author has done a whole series of tests to show how Samsung's newest offering does a better job than Canon's 2008 full frame camera body.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

InternetJunky posted:

What kind of review is this? The author has done a whole series of tests to show how Samsung's newest offering does a better job than Canon's 2008 full frame camera body.

Well, according to the article:

quote:

I chose the 5D Mark II over the Mark III because it has better quality in good light at ISO 1600 or lower.

I have no idea whether or not that's true as I'm no expert, but that's the rationale provided.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

rolleyes posted:

Well, according to the article:

I have no idea whether or not that's true as I'm no expert, but that's the rationale provided.

He should have used a 6D then if he wanted to get Canon's best sensor.

KinkyJohn posted:

It is annoying on a bright day when you want to use a 35mm at 1.4 and you don't have a nd filter on hand

Yeah, if that's how you roll, it would be a pain. So it's on personal shooting preferences whether it matters or not.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 20, 2015

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

rolleyes posted:

You can compare yourself here: here to see how wrong he is.

I don't know why but basically everything about that review bothers me. You shouldn't compare a brand new camera body against something that is 6+ years old. You shouldn't compare pictures from different camera bodies with different lenses and draw any conclusions about the body specifically. You shouldn't compare pictures that aren't at the same focal length.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

rolleyes posted:

According to DXOMark, the 5D2 has +0.2EV more DR up to ISO 800, then the 5D3 pulls ahead. However the 5D3 has 1.2dB more SNR across the whole ISO range.

Also, for the NX1 supposedly being better than the A7R and 5D2 at ISO 3200, former sure as hell has more perceptual noise than the other two. Same at ISO 800, the NX1 still looks slightly noisier if you spend more than a glance looking at it. If it's theoretical measurements are so super awesome, the way the noise is presented sure as hell doesn't help perception of it.

--e:f,b about the DXO stuff.

--edit: Actually thinking about it looking again, the default noise filtering of the RAW processor has been applied already, given there's barely any chroma noise.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 20, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

According to DXOMark, the 5D2 has +0.2EV more DR up to ISO 800, then the 5D3 pulls ahead. However the 5D3 has 1.2dB more SNR across the whole ISO range.

Also, for the NX1 supposedly being better than the A7R and 5D2 at ISO 3200, former sure as hell has more perceptual noise than the other two. Same at ISO 800, the NX1 still looks slightly noisier if you spend more than a glance looking at it. If it's theoretical measurements are so super awesome, the way the noise is presented sure as hell doesn't help perception of it.

--e:f,b about the DXO stuff.

--edit: Actually thinking about it looking again, the default noise filtering of the RAW processor has been applied already, given there's barely any chroma noise.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ima...498632874642061

The NX1 is definitely not the cleanest looking RAW in that comparison. That is for certain.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

All is moot when you see how much he glossed over the issues over the Samsung's lens. What good is the camera itself if that's the lens you'll have? He forked over all that cash to rent/have the Zeiss but couldn't find an equivalent on the Samsung?

Yeah, no, I'll wait until I see something far more comprehensive and less breathless.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 20, 2015

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

crotchgobbler posted:

I think the major things that are the better in the 5D3 are the AF , the 1/8000th vs 1/4000th shutter speed, and 5D3 has a slightly faster fps of 6 vs 4.5fps on the 6D. Unless you shoot sports or birds in flight or something like that I don't think those features are a big deal, aside from the AF. I came from the 50D so I was fine with the 6D's AF. The 100% view finder would be nice too, but what ever I'm used to it.

Now as far as the 6D goes, I love, love, love the wifi on it. I didn't think it'd be a big deal before I got the camera, but now I can't live without it. It allows me to send photos to my iphone/ipad and edit them/post them on the go. No longer do I have to wait until I get to my computer before anyone sees my work. When I'm traveling, I just edit and post online during my down times. I still do traditional LR editing once I get back to my desktop, however it's great to be able to get a quick edit up on facebook so everyone can keep up with me.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Yeah, that's basically the same reasoning I went through with the 6D. I grew up on manual focus anyway and turn off AF a lot. :corsair:

Wifi to iPad is great though even if the canon app is a bit rear end.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah and it's pretty fun to edit on the iPad. If I were a causal shooter and didn't care about keeping raw files, I wouldn't even need a computer. I'd just do quick edits on the iPad then upload to my cloud service of choice.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Haggins posted:

Yeah and it's pretty fun to edit on the iPad. If I were a causal shooter and didn't care about keeping raw files, I wouldn't even need a computer. I'd just do quick edits on the iPad then upload to my cloud service of choice.

Can you ipad edit with raw files or only jpg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

mrlego posted:

Can you ipad edit with raw files or only jpg?

There are raw developers of varying quality for iOS. I tried raw piranha which was supposedly one of the best and I'll say I'd rather just use the in camera processor if I want a quick photo to put online quickly.