Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

flosofl posted:

A colleague uses a Display Mate USB to VGA/HDMI/DVI. He uses it on a third monitor just for his email client and IM client at the office and seems fairly happy with it so far.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up :)

[edit] Would I see any noticeable difference in performance between a USB 2.0 display adapter and a USB 3.0 one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

teagone posted:

[edit] Would I see any noticeable difference in performance between a USB 2.0 display adapter and a USB 3.0 one?

Yup. 2.0 is a slideshow.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

teagone posted:

The disk slot instead has the mic/speakers, SD card slot, and facetime camera.

Huh, thanks for this!

[edit]

Oh noes, Intel HD4000 is DP 1.1, not 1.2 :(

[edit]

So I guess my only options now are hooking up a second monitor via USB, or get an Apple Thunderbolt display. :sigh:

Webcam in the cd-slot? That would be great for showing your chest and double chin, not much else.

e: If you just use it for chaturbate it's perfect! Just screw another one upside down under the table! Then you can use it for those picture-in-picture shows.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 17, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flosofl posted:

If it's display port 1.2 compliant, you can daisy chain 2 displays at 2560x1600. That's not taking into account your GPU, that's just the DP spec.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/
Kind of a moot point since (even if you had DP 1.2) OS X doesn't support multi stream for multiple displays afaik.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

japtor posted:

Kind of a moot point since (even if you had DP 1.2) OS X doesn't support multi stream for multiple displays afaik.

drat, good thing I asked first before buying poo poo, haha.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Since we're doing bag chat, I've just bough a 13" air. What do most people do, have a tough sleeve and normal messenger bag or get a messenger bag with rigid sides ?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Now that I have obtained a used Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse from a goon... I think I prefer my $30 Logitech mouse. The trackpad at least has cool gestures that you can't do on a mouse, but the mouse doesn't really do it for me.

Very nice quality though. And the trackpad has the power light that shines through "solid" aluminum so that is neat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Question for Bootcampers (hoping this is the right place for it.)

I got all the Windows Bootcamp Drivers (especially for my Mac hardware, etc etc...) and everything is totally fine but I just thought it wise to ask if anyone was aware of like a driver (specifically G-Card, but any really) that was like "Oh yeah, you can use the default ones, but this one is proven to work and work BETTER." or some-such.

My G-Card is the R9 M295x 4gb.

:)

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Why don't you make a thread for your idiotic and plentiful questions regarding your NEW RETINA IMAC?

Call it Feenix's Dumb poo poo Questions about his BRAND NEW RETINA 5K IMAX WITH GCARD AND KEYBOARD.

Go to the manufacturers website and get the latest drivers you worthless twat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

decypher posted:

Why don't you make a thread for your idiotic and plentiful questions regarding your NEW RETINA IMAC?

Call it Feenix's Dumb poo poo Questions about his BRAND NEW RETINA 5K IMAX WITH GCARD AND KEYBOARD.

Go to the manufacturers website and get the latest drivers you worthless twat.

I have those. I was asking if there were other alternatives that might have been known to be better.

Thanks, Sunshine!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Feenix posted:

I have those. I was asking if there were other alternatives that might have been known to be better.

Thanks, Sunshine!

Short answer: Apple seems to adopt new drivers at a nearly glacial pace and basically whatever the latest OEM windows driver is is usually going to be better. This is one of the bigger reasons why game performance is almost always better in a bootcamped windows partition than under OSX.

Will the driver be as stable, play as nicely with some random 2nd monitor, or whatever other concern you have? I dunno, install that poo poo and find out, if it gives you problems roll it back. You're getting the full windows experience under bootcamp for better and for worse. I wouldn't rely on whatever the official Bootcamp drivers are into perpetuity any more than I'd rely on never updating the drivers that shipped on some random Dell.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Short answer: Apple seems to adopt new drivers at a nearly glacial pace and basically whatever the latest OEM windows driver is is usually going to be better. This is one of the bigger reasons why game performance is almost always better in a bootcamped windows partition than under OSX.

Will the driver be as stable, play as nicely with some random 2nd monitor, or whatever other concern you have? I dunno, install that poo poo and find out, if it gives you problems roll it back. You're getting the full windows experience under bootcamp for better and for worse. I wouldn't rely on whatever the official Bootcamp drivers are into perpetuity any more than I'd rely on never updating the drivers that shipped on some random Dell.

Thanks. Yeah back before I fully comprehended that to get all my drivers working in Windows I needed to go BACK to Bootcamp to load a driver "pack" I had gone to AMD's site and found the latest driver for my card. I was then instructed on that page that "Mac Users using Bootcamp should go get *this* version instead. I then realized the whole Bootcamp Driver pack thing and everything works well enough... but it had had me wondering if they were the same, or if one was newer. I'll go read up on what driver version the bootcamp install put on there and compare it to what AMD linked to for Mac users.

And despite what I feel is a fairly unwarranted nasty reply from decypher, I do apologize if I've been annoying. Just kinda amped about my new computer and trying to figure poo poo out. :)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Meanwhile I was just wondering if "G-card" was common parlance that I've never seen/heard before, vs graphics card or just GPU. I didn't know what the hell you were talking about until you specified R9 M295x (which itself is such an obvious name of course :v:).

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

decypher posted:

This is :megadeath: compared to what I got probated for ;).

I think 95% of what's in this thread belongs in the Haus of Tech Support. Maybe it made sense to have a thread for all Mac-related things back when it was more of a niche platform. It's a little grating sometimes when there's a good discussion about general subjects ongoing and then it gets destroyed by "Is 4 gigs enough for web browsing and some photo editing?" or OMG HOW DO AH FUTURE-PROOF MAH 2008 MACBOOK WHICH DOESN'T BOOT. There are buying threads for other things, why not Macs?

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 18, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

g-card has to be the lamest thing i've ever heard. it's like your dad trying to be cool, when you're 30 and he's 60 and neither of you are cool anymore.

i'd have preferred a double-entendre with "v-card" though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

japtor posted:

Meanwhile I was just wondering if "G-card" was common parlance that I've never seen/heard before, vs graphics card or just GPU. I didn't know what the hell you were talking about until you specified R9 M295x (which itself is such an obvious name of course :v:).

Sorry, G-Card was probably pretty dumb terminology. I haven't had to even really talk about GPUs in over a decade it feels like and... yeah... well... :)

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Pivo posted:

g-card has to be the lamest thing i've ever heard. it's like your dad trying to be cool, when you're 30 and he's 60 and neither of you are cool anymore.

Right, about as cool as the people posting without capitalization and punctuation. It just makes reading things harder.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

flavor posted:

Right, about as cool as the people posting without capitalization and punctuation. It just makes reading things harder.

i've been on the internet for a long time. lowercase is commonly used for informal conversation and chat, when you don't want to be 'too serious'. it's an indicator of tone and it's useful when you are communicating without any body language or intonation. sort of like people say "lol" after they say something that might be read seriously.

I am perfectly capable of using the shift key, I assure you.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Pivo posted:

i've been on the internet for a long time. lowercase is commonly used for informal conversation and chat, when you don't want to be 'too serious'. it's an indicator of tone and it's useful when you are communicating without any body language or intonation. sort of like people say "lol" after they say something that might be read seriously.

Really? In any event, I know that its' an act, but after a while it's just dumb. Particularly if some people go out of their way to write whole paragraphs and then to end their last sentence without a period :).

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Pivo posted:

I've been on the Internet longer than you and you are wrong.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

flavor posted:

Really? In any event, I know that its' an act, but after a while it's just dumb. Particularly if some people go out of their way to write whole paragraphs and then to end their last sentence without a period :).

u mad about punctuation bro lol

:v:

In more hardware related news what's the latest on Intel's chip drama? I tried googling around but I'm getting kinda conflicting sources and I was just wondering if anyone's seen anything semi-concrete about whether the MBPr's are finally getting a refresh this summer.

I'm puttering along on my 2009 vintage MBP and while it's been a fine workhorse and then some it's getting way past time to put it out to pasture. At this point I'm mostly just concerned with timing an update right to get on as they shift to the next chipset and graphics card.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Legdiian posted:

I've been on the Internet longer than you and you are wrong.

Yeah, I've been on when USENET was still a big thing and the Internet was mostly accessible via .edu networks. People who typed like that were pretty much mocked and not taken seriously.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I'm going to break in with something hardware related, I hope that's ok.

This looks like a pretty good start to a video production rig, yes or no? Upgrade to SSD of course. Anyone here have (or had) the 2x 6-core MacPro 5,1? I also really want to have a "classic" tower. The trash can is a bit too dear, currently. Thank you.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Looks pretty good, slap in a USB 3.0 PCIe card as well as the SSD and you should be good to go. The ATI Radeon HD 5870 is a pretty decent card, too.

For the fastest possible boot drive (for this model) get an SSD and mount it in a Velocity Solo X2 card, and then stick that in any free PCIe slot. You'll free up a drive bay.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pivo posted:

Are you being serious? I can't tell because we're on the internet. I typically associate people who don't type properly online with real life idiots though. That's just me.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Thank you

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Binary Badger posted:

Looks pretty good, slap in a USB 3.0 PCIe card as well as the SSD and you should be good to go. The ATI Radeon HD 5870 is a pretty decent card, too.

For the fastest possible boot drive (for this model) get an SSD and mount it in a Velocity Solo X2 card, and then stick that in any free PCIe slot. You'll free up a drive bay.

Depends on your use case. For me a GPU upgrade is a must, Premiere and FCPX have been built to work with raw camera formats without requiring a transcode (though both have mechanisms to facilitate the use of proxies) and they require a shitload of GPU computation power to decode these in real time.

Do they still make the 780ti for Mac? Or can you flash a regular one?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

In more hardware related news what's the latest on Intel's chip drama? I tried googling around but I'm getting kinda conflicting sources and I was just wondering if anyone's seen anything semi-concrete about whether the MBPr's are finally getting a refresh this summer.

I'm puttering along on my 2009 vintage MBP and while it's been a fine workhorse and then some it's getting way past time to put it out to pasture. At this point I'm mostly just concerned with timing an update right to get on as they shift to the next chipset and graphics card.
MBPs get pretty regularly refreshed, so...probably. And yeah they should have the newer Intel stuff by then. Hopefully they'll have the newer GPUs too if they have discrete GPUs at all!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

1st AD posted:

Do they still make the 780ti for Mac? Or can you flash a regular one?

No one has made a 780ti for the Mac. You might be thinking of EVGA who makes a GTX 680 Mac Edition that will work right out of the box.

MacVidCards has a modified GTX 780 that's fully Mac compatible that's pre-flashed by him but it's $600.

Everyone is going for the GTX 970's these days, better power/performance ratio but you have to find the right manufacturer and download nVidia's Mac web drivers, for which the 970 is only supported by their 10.10 drivers.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 18, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

japtor posted:

MBPs get pretty regularly refreshed, so...probably. And yeah they should have the newer Intel stuff by then. Hopefully they'll have the newer GPUs too if they have discrete GPUs at all!

I listened the Anandtech podcast covering CES and new intel CPU stuff. The new intel GPUs have open CL support, which I believe will help tremendously.

I'd expect the new rMBPs to be around in June, though I've been hearing that due to delays in Broad well, Skylake is now not far behind - possible apple will wait?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

wooger posted:

I listened the Anandtech podcast covering CES and new intel CPU stuff. The new intel GPUs have open CL support, which I believe will help tremendously.

This actually isn't a new capability. As of Mavericks OpenCL is supported on Intel GPUs from the HD 4000 (Ivy Bridge, first seen in 2012 models) onwards.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202823

What we have to hope for in Broadwell and Skylake is that Intel has learned from falling a bit short of their GPU (not GPGPU) performance goals with Iris Pro. If they did, we might not really need discrete graphics any more.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Supposedly there will be greater gains in OpenCL performance in Skylake - I wonder if they'll ever get to the point where it's a viable option for pro apps on a laptop vs AMD or Nvidia.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Binary Badger posted:

You might be thinking of EVGA who makes a GTX 680 Mac Edition that will work right out of the box.
This seems promising. I may need it. Are you saying that there wouldn't be drivers for the GTX 970 < 10.10 ?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Djimi posted:

This seems promising. I may need it. Are you saying that there wouldn't be drivers for the GTX 970 < 10.10 ?

There's a tiny chance there might be, but nVidia's developers seem to be in lock-step with Apple; as far as Apple is concerned, Mavericks is yesterday's news.

Currently nVidia has only updated their 'web' drivers for 10.10 and 10.10.1, and they've only added GTX 970/980 support to those drivers alone so far.

There's a couple of people who have unofficially confirmed Premiere CUDA support on the 970 using the latest CUDA 6.5.37 and 10.10.1 web drivers. No benchmarks yet though

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 19, 2015

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006
Edit: Apparently there's a whole tech support subforum. This post will be moved there shortly. Sorry for disturbance, please move along.

Without much ado fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 21, 2015

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody truth to the rumors of a retina MBA being released in the coming months? My mid-2011 MBA is showing its age more than ever lately, but I don't want to upgrade just yet if that's the case.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

shyduck posted:

Anybody truth to the rumors of a retina MBA being released in the coming months?

The truth to any rumors can only be known once something has been released or a final decision has been made that it won't.

shyduck posted:

My mid-2011 MBA is showing its age more than ever lately, but I don't want to upgrade just yet if that's the case.

From the introduction of this thread that you didn't bother to read:

Thread intro posted:

The age-old always asked question: Should I get a Mac now or should I wait?
Huh? Please? Tell me! You guys must know something?!

pokeyman posted:

If you need something, buy it. If it's updated this week, you can return and upgrade.

If you don't need it, wait until you do; guaranteed it'll be a better value than it is now. At worst, it's the same.

Nobody knows when Apple's going to do poo poo. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.

In addition to the above being about the best thing ever written, I'd like to add that while there are always rumors going around, and my gut feeling is that at any given time Apple has a non-zero amount of products and variants thereof that they could release if they wanted to, but decisions are often made at the last minute.

So now after all this and without any snark: There's been rumors of new MBAs, but no specific dates beyond "sometime in 2015" and with and without retina displays. You sound like can wait a little bit.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 20, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A "new" MBA is still pretty much the model from 2013, so I would personally not buy it at this point in time.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Looking for advice: I'm replacing a 2011 13" MBA. I'm considering either a new 8/512 GB 13" MBA or a similarly-equipped retina 13" MBP from the refurb store. Prices are comparable.

I travel a lot, and the MBA has been great for that. I do general purpose stuff with it (web/mail/video watching/remote desktop), as well as keeping a bootcamp partition for Windows-only stuff.

Are there enough compelling reasons to go with the MBP, even with the additional weight?

Thanks for any insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The screen is worth it. It's like half a pound.