Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Also, it resulted in moments like this:

My favourite (?) example is actually from "Revelation of the Daleks", which was split from two 45-minute episodes into four 22-minute episodes (whether for a rerun or an American broadcast I'm not sure; it's mentioned in the info text but I can't remember exactly what it said). In the middle of the second episode, there's a scene where, upon seeing a Dalek rolling past, the Doctor tells Peri he wants her to get back to the TARDIS.

CUT TO CLOSING CREDITS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DoctorWhat posted:

Robophobia is part of a trilogy of non-companion audios released about 4 years after Valhalla and Frozen Time.

Also Liv Chenka's a weird case.

Yeah, I was aware, it was just the statement that Frozen Time was the best non-companion audio that made me ask the question. I know there was a gap between them. And yeah, it's part of a trilogy of audios that you could argue aren't technically non companion ones because SPOILERS.

Bicyclops posted:

I haven't gotten nearly as far as Robophobia, yet but with both Frozen Time and Valhalla, it's just kind of funny. Nicholas Briggs was asking Sylvester McCoy perfectly normal interview questions about working in the medium, and McCoy had this hilarious tangent answer about he had never really been in one in which he was alone, and that the writers should work on that. He suggested that the writers should do one based around a silent movie in which he meets Buster Keaton. It was like right after the interview that they gave McCoy two stories without a companion (except for the traditional, one-off sorts that come with those kinds of stories).

A TV version of Seven meeting Keaton would doubtless be a lot of fun, but I can't see it necessarily being a good audio...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

A TV version of Seven meeting Keaton would doubtless be a lot of fun, but I can't see it necessarily being a good audio...

His other idea involved ventriloquism :v: He's a wily one, is McCoy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Ordinarily, I'd be far more concerned about McCoy's behavior in the past few years, afraid that he's going a bit senile - but with Sly, you can never really tell what's genuine and what's a bit, can you?

Same goes for Tom.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

His other idea involved ventriloquism :v: He's a wily one, is McCoy.

I just wish there were copies somewhere of his mentor Ken Campbell's screen tests for Who.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I didn't hate Silent Earth/Cold Blood as much as everyone here, it seems.

I've got to admit to being a little baffled about how the Pertwee Silurian's serial is seen as a call for tolerance and respect, when it portrays the Silurians as every bit as bloodthirsty, cruel, and monstrous as the humans.The younger Silurians outright murder the only one who was willing to work with the humans, so that they can proceed with their multiple attempts to wipe out all of humanity. Then the Doctor dupes the Silurians into hibernating for another 25 years, and the one who realizes they've been duped and tries to revive his race is gunned down by the Brigadier. The Doctor hopes to slowly revive the Silurians one by one, to integrate them into society, but the Brigadier dashes any hope of that by blowing up the base, and killing them all.

It terms of acting, it's a cracking performance (Pertwee is his usual wonderful self, and Lawrence's breakdown is amazing, for example), and it's a wonderful serial that's justly praised, if perhaps a few episodes too long (plotwise, you could cut the entire virus curing sequence with minimal rewrites and the story would remain the same, for example). But I'm not certain that the Brigadier bombing the Silurians into the ground so they can never, ever return (:allears:) is any better than an agreement to return in a thousand when perhaps humanity has learned to accept other races (because, you know, the attempted genocide last time). The SIlurians come off much better in Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, in terms of varied characterization and societal depiction. Certainly we're meant to listen to the Doctor both times, but the actions of both the humans (other than Rory and Liz) and Silurians in both adventures utterly contradict his message. His message is the same in both, and is certainly the right message for the show.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't hate the Silurian two-parter (I may be misremembering, but I don't think most people do, either; it just runs too long and isn't particularly impressive, and has some pretty good episodes in the season around it to remind you of its relative mediocrity).

I think the reason the Pertwee one works, despite how bloodthirsty the puppet monsters are (the people who hate the new design for the Silurians are wrong) is that that whole Cold War, "Can we really trust each other and find a way to live together under the threat of mutually assured destruction, where the drop of a hat can incite hostilities?" stuff is a bit more poignant when it's expressed from the point of view of somebody who's a bit more embroiled in it. I'm sure there are ways to tie the new Silurian story to terrorism, but it really does feel more to me like a direct re-telling of the Cold War stuff. It's not bad and it's definitely a very Doctor Who message (and how many people who watched it had really seen the original story anyway?), but it's clumsy at parts and a bit muddled by the series long cracks in time thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, I praise the original for smart, fantastically gray area writing. The morality of it is entirely hosed in such a good way without compromising who the Brigadier is and turning him into a villain.

He and the Doctor disagree on certain matters, and the Brig had every justification to believe the Silurians were dangerous threats to all of humanity- which in turn justified the Silurians who believed the humans would wipe them out.

It's a never ending cycle shattered by a violent act, and all the Doctor can do is watch in disapproval and disgust. There's a maturity to that, which is utterly lacking in the New Who two parter where pretty much all of the (MALE) Silurians are OK people except Dr. Mengele, and only really one or two (FEMALE) Silurians are blood crazy psychopaths. Despite being made so much later and being put into a serial with the Van Goh story, it's so much more cartoonish and silly.

Plus really, did they have to have combat miniskirts for the all woman army? Really?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Metal Loaf posted:

My favourite (?) example is actually from "Revelation of the Daleks", which was split from two 45-minute episodes into four 22-minute episodes (whether for a rerun or an American broadcast I'm not sure; it's mentioned in the info text but I can't remember exactly what it said). In the middle of the second episode, there's a scene where, upon seeing a Dalek rolling past, the Doctor tells Peri he wants her to get back to the TARDIS.

CUT TO CLOSING CREDITS.

American PBS broadcasts tended to go the other way. They'd splice all the episodes together, remove the superfluous opening and closing credits, and put on one (typically) 90 minute story. Which leads to some odd pacing issues, especially when you're watching it at age 11 as I was, where you get a tense moment...and the moment's immediately defused a few seconds later. It wasn't until much later that someone told me what was going on. I just thought it was something goofy about the way the British liked their TV. :shrug:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think what we can all agree is that the best Silurian story is the Dr. Seuss classic, The Butter Battle Book.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Dog with a Blog…

Dog...with a blog.

This is an actual television show ITYOOL two-thousand and fifteen?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Would it surprise you to know that the dog can talk but only the kids know, or would it slide the gun barrel further into your mouth?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I thought the dog COULDN'T talk, but could write. At least, that was my understanding gleaned from adverts intruding on Gravity Falls.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I thought the dog COULDN'T talk, but could write. At least, that was my understanding gleaned from adverts intruding on Gravity Falls.

He talks more than every other character combined.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh yeah, he talks. Complete with CGI'd "mouth movement."

Makes one wish for the Nimons.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Actually, Cobi, I'm curious about something: how did the kiddo react to the Smith-to-Capaldi regeneration? When they announced that Smith was leaving and Capaldi was coming on, my daughter wouldn't even look at a picture of Capaldi. Now she eats up every episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Dog...with a blog.

This is an actual television show ITYOOL two-thousand and fifteen?

Makes one long for the refined days of Wishbone

(gently caress, Wishbone aired when I was in college :corsair:).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

PantsOptional posted:

Actually, Cobi, I'm curious about something: how did the kiddo react to the Smith-to-Capaldi regeneration? When they announced that Smith was leaving and Capaldi was coming on, my daughter wouldn't even look at a picture of Capaldi. Now she eats up every episode.

My wife and the kiddo spend Christmas night through New Year’s with her cousins (they do all the fun holiday stuff, I get a week of pantsless peace and quiet) so I don’t know how she took the actual regeneration scene.

As for Capaldi’s run, though, she gobbled him up. She grew up in a household where her Dad would put The War Games on as background filler so regeneration and new Doctors were nothing foreign to her, and she loves how he can be brusque and arrogant but still kind at heart. Eccleston is still her favorite, but Capaldi is right behind. She enjoyed Smith for his silliness and Tennant because “he yelled a lot.”

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Eccleston is still her favorite
Finally, a good opinion in this thread.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Makes one wish for the Nimons.

How many Nimons?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

How many Nimons?

Don't dare blaspheme the Nimon!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Eccleston is still her favorite,

Good parenting, right here. :)

If y'all have never seen it, here's a really interesting interview Eccleston did right after he wrapped up filming Series 1. He's a class act all around, who really thought through the show and its ramifications. I especially love that he doesn't let slip that he regenerates at the end of the season, despite being asked point blank, as well as his effluent praise for the older show.

Lovely man. Really wish he'd stayed longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uD9IJqLMBo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at all of the Rory love in the review thread

Christ you guys can't play anything close to the chest can you? Bah.

drat you Rory for being so great.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually, I kind of wonder how Toxx and Occ would react to the 1996 Movie or Scream of the Shalka. I mean, they're prior attempts at reviving the show and not quite as drawn out as Classic Who proper. might be an interesting comparison.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burkion posted:

Rory being great is not a spoiler

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually, I kind of wonder how Toxx and Occ would react to the 1996 Movie or Scream of the Shalka. I mean, they're prior attempts at reviving the show and not quite as drawn out as Classic Who proper. might be an interesting comparison.

Toxx has seen the 1996 movie.

Burkion posted:

It'll be fine. Once Rory gets sucked into the cracks, he'll think we were just having him on.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Would it surprise you to know that the dog can talk but only the kids know, or would it slide the gun barrel further into your mouth?

Sounds like an exceptionally pale and milquetoast competitor to Grandpa in my Pocket. Not the shrinking cap!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Bicyclops posted:

Toxx has seen the 1996 movie.

It'll be fine. Once Rory gets sucked into the cracks, he'll think we were just having him on.

Oh man it's gonna be amazing when Rory the Centurion shows up in The Pandorica Opens. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

I don't hate the Silurian two-parter (I may be misremembering, but I don't think most people do, either; it just runs too long and isn't particularly impressive, and has some pretty good episodes in the season around it to remind you of its relative mediocrity).

I hated it on my first watch, was mostly indifferent to it on the second. It's major failing is that it's a mediocre story (with some REALLY terrible parts/decisions) nestled in the midst of the best single season that the revival has done to date. Every other episode is brilliant, or engaging or in some way telling an interesting story - Victory is the weakest but it's got a great premise and it ends with the Daleks actually getting away instead of being wiped out FOREVER like normal. But the Silurian 2-parter is just so.... drab, and that makes the bad parts of it REALLY stand out where in a better story they might be able to be glossed over. Dr. Mengelizard is perhaps the worst, in that he performs live vivisection on his test subjects and appears to be take an almost sadistic pleasure in taunting his victims.... and then suddenly becomes a caring physician with a moral core, and loving fistbumps the Doctor for gently caress's sake.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The Hungry Earth is pretty decent, people only remember it badly because Cold Blood suuuuuuuucks. Although I like the nice smart Indian lady character a lot. :3:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I hate the idea of two random representatives from a species negotiating a massive peace treaty. It's not the worst bit of the Silurian 2-parter (because there are lots of other weak bits) but it's probably the only bit of the 50th I thought sucked.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hate the idea of two random representatives from a species negotiating a massive peace treaty. It's not the worst bit of the Silurian 2-parter (because there are lots of other weak bits) but it's probably the only bit of the 50th I thought sucked.

But in the 50th, one is the head of UNIT, the agency most suited to dealing with alien encounters on the planet, and a direct link to the UN, and the other is (very probably) the Zygon deputy commander of that particular faction. They're not just random representatives, exactly.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I loved Robophobia, and Liv Chenka is awesome, but does anyone else hope for more DI Menzies? She's definitely in my top 5 companions.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, it's so middle-of-the-road that I'm surprised to hear it garner any kind of strong reaction, whether negative or positive. Other stories have been far worse, particularly Creed of the Kromon or Minuet in Hell.

Oh god, I must've blacked out Minuet in Hell again. That is the worst McGann audio without question. But Something Inside and Scaredy Cat round out my bottom three. I actually thought Creed of the Kromon was okay, but then I don't dislike C'rizz as much as some people.

Really, aside from those bottom three, the only other McGanns that I dislike are Invaders from Mars, Time of the Daleks, and Twilight Kingdom.

edit: That's regarding his initial seasons anyway. I also didn't like the Army of Death audio with Mary Shelley, and I still haven't listened to any of the EDAs (aside from Blood of the Daleks) or the Dark Eyes series yet, although I do intend to at some point.

Gordon Shumway fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 21, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Creed of the Kromon is definitely worse than Minuet in Hell. The latter is just campy, while the former is disgusting, unpleasant, and totally unnecessary. It makes you cringe but never makes you get excited.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

I loved Robophobia, and Liv Chenka is awesome, but does anyone else hope for more DI Menzies? She's definitely in my top 5 companions.

I do. Love it when she shows up. She's so dry and kinda put upon by everything as she runs her X-Files/Alien Relocation Service. :allears:

Robophobia is on my list of "soon" audios, though the talk of Frozen Time makes me wonder if I should relisten to it? It, along with Colditz, was one of the first audios I bought like 5 or more years ago, on CD no less. I remember liking it but I had no appreciation for the medium as I do now, so I might gain a whole new perspective. And you gotta love Big Finish...they have it there available for me to download as one of my purchases, even though at the time I'd bought the CD and wasn't even doing downloads. :D

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Creed of the Kromon is definitely worse than Minuet in Hell. The latter is just campy, while the former is disgusting, unpleasant, and totally unnecessary. It makes you cringe but never makes you get excited.

Yeah, my biggest problem with it isn't C'Rizz, since it was his first episode and for all I knew he would get plenty of excellent character development later (spoiler: He doesn't), but the creepy and quite frankly disgusting poo poo Charley goes through in that story is enormously offputting and feels more than anything like I've somehow stumbled onto somebody's fetish fanfiction that they tricked the actors into performing (like Ian Levine!).

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Re the OCC thread, it could be the cider talking, but I'm now slightly worried as i just watched the Cold Blood 2 parter and it wasn't as bad as i remember

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BSam posted:

Re the OCC thread, it could be the cider talking, but I'm now slightly worried as i just watched the Cold Blood 2 parter and it wasn't as bad as i remember

Yep, it just stood out as worse than it was because it was surrounded by so many better episodes (or preceded by so many better ones, if we go by the initial airing).

Not to say there still aren't really awful sections of it, but mostly it's a bland aping of an RTD episode by Chibnall, who didn't quite seem to understand the way the show was going under Moffat, and wasn't able to deliver the mad rollercoaster that RTD could throw together in a similar story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It also really, really didn't need to be a two-parter, and probably only was one because it was the season's "returning classic monster" story.

• Locked thread