Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

We're only 2 missions (Aftermath and then the Rebel Saboteur side mission) into our campaign and I'm already seeing the benefits of some of the upgraded/powers I've grabbed for my characters

Diala is slowly becoming scary between her natural reach and a pierce upgrade i manged to buy her, combining that with Precise Strike and most things either don't get the chance to roll a defense or i break through what little defense they roll for big damage. She also ends up taking the brunt of the damage so having the ability to re-roll is pretty nice.

Jyn between all of her movement passives means she can get just about anywhere in the map i need her to be. But i do need to work on remembering to use her Snap Shot ability for free damage.

How are the other heroes working out for everybody? I briefly considered bringing along Argus (the movement increasing guy) but so far I'm glad i ended up choosing 2 fairly good attackers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Star Wars Dice app got an update adding Armada and Imperial Assault dice. Nice to see the support continuing there.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

jivjov posted:

The Star Wars Dice app got an update adding Armada and Imperial Assault dice. Nice to see the support continuing there.

Is it worth $5? I thought about picking it up, but was appalled (APPALLED I SAY!) that they were asking that much when I can get most complete games for, like, $1.99.

Also, is using it for X-Wing considered 'tournament legal'?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Obama 2012 posted:

Is it worth $5? I thought about picking it up, but was appalled (APPALLED I SAY!) that they were asking that much when I can get most complete games for, like, $1.99.

I don't know if it is or not, but I would probably hand an opponent some of my extra dice instead of trying to squint at their phone every time they rolled.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Obama 2012 posted:

Eh, "worth it" is really subjective, based on how you feel about digital dice in general; I personally really prefer tactile dice, but I did get some use out of the app before I got my 2nd X-Wing core set/extra RPG dice.

It's a well designed app, has a bit of Star Wars-y flavor to it, so it's not a ripoff by any means.

And yeah, if you're using the official app, I believe that it's tourney legal. (Although like the other goon said, probably not preferred/ideal).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I haven't used the app yet. If it actually summarizes the outcome of a later-game large handful of the RPG dice (three red, two purple, two yellow, one green, two blue, and two black [12 dice!] could be pretty commonplace for higher-level characters), I think it would be worth $5 no matter how many dice I own.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

I have it and it can cancel symbols for you, there is an option for it in the app. Lots of silly sounds that I disable but it's a solid dice roller. Hell it even has the big 7 polyhedral dice so you can use it for other games.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

A dude I played against had an iPad mini running the dice app at worlds. Totally legal, easy to see, but it just felt weird/wrong to play him when I was using my own dice. It just felt like he was cheating. I blame his good rolls better random number generation. :rolldice:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

One of my buddies poo-poos the app bc he says it doesn't actually roll randomly enough or something. Anyone heard/experienced this?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

head58 posted:

One of my buddies poo-poos the app bc he says it doesn't actually roll randomly enough or something. Anyone heard/experienced this?

i'm pretty excited to hear what he bases this on :allears:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
the pitiful cries of a man who doesn't understand probability.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

No, he's a statistician and def understands probability. I think it was some review he read that suggested it.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

head58 posted:

No, he's a statistician and def understands probability. I think it was some review he read that suggested it.

Unless he's also a programmer that decompiled the app, he's just speculating about the how's

Also, I would argue that regardless, the app is "random enough" and that imperfections in the dice manufacturing process have more or less the same impact on the physical dice randomness that the phone randomizer has

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

head58 posted:

Never play games with people like this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Are we talking about the X-Wing app? Because I think there was a problem with that in the first release. I could be misremembering though.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Just got an email from Amazon that moved my delivery date of the Armada core set from end of April to the beginning of March

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Just got an email from Amazon that moved my delivery date of the Armada core set from end of April to the beginning of March

Mine went from May 5 to mid-March, and the game is now up again on Amazon with a photo, but you can't add it to cart

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

NTRabbit posted:

Mine went from May 5 to mid-March, and the game is now up again on Amazon with a photo, but you can't add it to cart

Yeah I got the same message from Amazon with the same dates. There is a buy again button in my order details but as I don't need to by it again I'm to afraid to press it just for science.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Some Armada spoilers for the Star Destroyers: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5325

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Tekopo posted:

Some Armada spoilers for the Star Destroyers: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5325

Interesting and powerful options for commanders outside of Tarkin

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

loving game needs to come out right now and not in march :negative:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

The most interesting part of this, for me, was this bit: "The blue attack die has no blank faces, and the red and black attack dice have only two blank faces each." After playing a good bit of X-Wing and being incredibly annoyed whenever nothing but blanks come up, this has me incredibly excited.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The ability to manipulate crits, and having choices from equipment sounds really awesome too. Taking away those tokens sounds pretty neat. I'm seriously excited for the game at this point.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
re: statistics chat, it's hard to know whether the dice app is "truly" random without decompiling it. From my own experience, RNG's for lotteries (like Keno, for example) use a number as a 'seed' followed by a complex algorithm in order to generate a random number. If someone theoretically knew the algorithm, then they would be able to derive the seed used and would give them an advantage in picking the right number. Seeds are changed every day or week or something in order to prevent this kind of cheating.

Personally, I've seen this criticism of "dice roll apps" before, where it is claimed that this "seeding" can create an unfair bias towards certain numbers. I have yet to have seen any proof to this effect, and really it's going to be heavily dependent on the written program as their are programs in existence which can actually claim to be truly random through some fair complex programming and statistical techniques, of which I am not familiar with/learned. Without having conducted tests, I really don't think that a statistically significant difference would exist between real dice and the dice rolling app.

The take home point here is that if you think you lost because your opponent is using a sanction dice rolling app, then you are terrible please don't play traditional games, tia

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Can't wait to see how long it takes the first super spergs to hack an official dice app and try to win a tournament.

real talk: I think it's just a psychological issue for most people. An app is a black box and seeing the actual dice rolled is perceived as more legit because we know what's going on.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

the panacea posted:

Can't wait to see how long it takes the first super spergs to hack an official dice app and try to win a tournament.

real talk: I think it's just a psychological issue for most people. An app is a black box and seeing the actual dice rolled is perceived as more legit because we know what's going on.

Yeah, that's a legitimate (if perhaps... paranoid) concern, I think you're within your rights to request that you be allowed make your dice rolls on their app too

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The problem with apps isn't the lack of clarity in the "black box" and visceral feel of dice - it's that the screen is so small it's more of a hindrance than help.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

The problem with apps isn't the lack of clarity in the "black box" and visceral feel of dice - it's that the screen is so small it's more of a hindrance than help.

And everyone should have dice from their base set anyway. Unless you don't have hands there's no real reason to use the app

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Chill la Chill posted:

I find my phone keeps going to sleep, has to be unlocked etc when I try to use it as a gaming aid. ipad would be a size annoyance, if I need to have it sitting out for my opponent to see

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I can't wait to hear of some sausage fingers dropping a phone or tablet because it was being passed around for a dice app. Now I wouldn't care if someone was in charge and just read the results, but that's not practical in tournaments and too many people want to press the button even if it gives the same results.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
In a game like 40k where you a rolling mountains of dice, yeah I can understand. X-Wing doesn't really roll that much dice at once anyway so :shrug:

Anyway, my post was more commenting on why some people feel uneasy regarding dice apps.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I bought Imperial Assault and am very excited about playing it.

I also will probably be buying into Armada, and have considered really getting into X-Wing.

This is my life now, and I have learned to accept it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I bought Imperial Assault and am very excited about playing it.

I also will probably be buying into Armada, and have considered really getting into X-Wing.

This is my life now, and I have learned to accept it.

If you end up buying the X-COM board game as well our lives will be one and the same buddy :hfive:

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So far I've resisted the urge to buy imperial assault, mainly because I already have descent.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I've had IA for two weeks now and couldn't even find the time to unpack it yet. :smith:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Played Imperial Assault and it is entirely my jam, if not the jam of the people I usually game with but hey friends are replaceable, tactical combat in star wars is forever.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Is there some kind of team option for Skirmish mode? Otherwise there is no way to do a "quick game" with more than 2 players.

This is all baring in mind that i haven't even looked at the skirmish book yet since i love campaign mode and haven't done anything else so far

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
I haven't goofed off with skirmish mode, but man, it's a hard sell for others to buy in.

So, I have IA, and therefore most of my buddies don't need to buy it because, hey, I have it already. No big deal.

If one of my buddies wants in on Skirmish mode, he's in for not a treat, as he buys the core game, and STILL needs to buy Han, Chewie, Rebel Troops, General Weiss, etc. The game is great as a campaign system, but I'm confused as to how multiple people in a single playgroup justified each buying a core. Maybe I tell one buddy he can play the Rebels/Imperials/whoever I'm not playing, and the next buddy to pair off? I don't know.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah theres a local game store trying to do a skirmish type tournament with everyone buying a core good luck with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
To go along with the Imperial ship preview earlier, there is now a preview of the Rebel Ships for Star Wars: Armada.