Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Mostly thanks to the French new-wave.

It's funny because for the stereotype I'd spot you the Left Bank stuff and Godard's later work, but all the "core" New Wave films pretty much have straightforward plots and fast-paced editing, and are usually filled with sexy women, guns, and pop music.

It's like people using "Citizen Kane" as the epitome of "boring art film"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh yeah, the new wave classics are amazingly lively but you can definitely see stuff like Malle's The Lovers giving that impression (it's crazy that he made that in between Elevator to the Gallows and Zazie dans le metro).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Sprinkle equal parts Alain Resnais, Un homme qui dort, early Godard, and maybe a hiiiiint of Cocteau's camerawork and you have the ur-French film stereotype.

"Colette is going to leave Étienne for Claude because Étienne has malaise. Malaise, dad!"

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The French do like to push their literary tradition pretty heavily in their movies and I can see how that would feed into the pretensions stereotype (personally, I dig it). Like every single French movie these days has to have a scene in an English class where a teacher lectures about the philosophy of some French novel that's thematically relevant. Hell, late Godard is pretty much just a fever dream version of that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Disharmony posted:

How exactly is The Guest a John Carpenter homage?

Synth soundtrack.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What makes Technicolor so immediately recognizable? If I had to guess, I'd say that colors tend to have a slightly higher value and slightly lower saturation giving them a bit of a pastel look, and the contrast is somewhat lower than more modern film. But if anyone has more precise or detailed information I'd love to hear it. Or steps on how to reproduce that look with random clips shot on a dslr.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm sure someone else (probably Egbert) will have a more detailed explanation but most of it was just in how it was shot. Three strips of black and white film ran simultaneously through the camera, and the image coming in through the lens was split three ways, each split running through a color filter - one red, one blue, and one green. I forget the exact specifics (it's worth looking up) but these separate color-filtered black and white film strips would be dyed in complementary colors and printed onto one film strip, thereby adding the colors together and producing a relatively full range. Part of why Technicolor is recognizable is because of all the faults - adding three colors together isn't a flawless process, so the colors aren't always accurate, and since perfect alignment of the strips was technically impossible there would be chromatic fringing, leading to a shimmery look where the colors spilled over. One of the biggest factors, though, is that, since the image going into the camera was being split three ways (and thereby dimmed by 2/3) the sets and actors had to be lit three times as brightly as usual, if not more, so a lot of the look comes from the technical side, the production aspect, which is why it's so hard to replicate in digital footage.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Considering how obsessed his fans are, I'm sure this thing exists. Are there any websites that provide a list of all the references/homages that Tarantino makes in his movies?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

xcore posted:

Considering how obsessed his fans are, I'm sure this thing exists. Are there any websites that provide a list of all the references/homages that Tarantino makes in his movies?

Nah, everyone keeps those to themselves so they can bring them out in a Quentin Tarantino big dick contest.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

xcore posted:

You could visit the movie connections section of each movie on IMDb.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

What makes Technicolor so immediately recognizable? If I had to guess, I'd say that colors tend to have a slightly higher value and slightly lower saturation giving them a bit of a pastel look, and the contrast is somewhat lower than more modern film. But if anyone has more precise or detailed information I'd love to hear it. Or steps on how to reproduce that look with random clips shot on a dslr.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm sure someone else (probably Egbert) will have a more detailed explanation but most of it was just in how it was shot. Three strips of black and white film ran simultaneously through the camera, and the image coming in through the lens was split three ways, each split running through a color filter - one red, one blue, and one green. I forget the exact specifics (it's worth looking up) but these separate color-filtered black and white film strips would be dyed in complementary colors and printed onto one film strip, thereby adding the colors together and producing a relatively full range. Part of why Technicolor is recognizable is because of all the faults - adding three colors together isn't a flawless process, so the colors aren't always accurate, and since perfect alignment of the strips was technically impossible there would be chromatic fringing, leading to a shimmery look where the colors spilled over. One of the biggest factors, though, is that, since the image going into the camera was being split three ways (and thereby dimmed by 2/3) the sets and actors had to be lit three times as brightly as usual, if not more, so a lot of the look comes from the technical side, the production aspect, which is why it's so hard to replicate in digital footage.

The first thing, which isn't as relevant today, is the printing process of Technicolor. Up until recently, B&W stock has always had more tonal range and depth than color. That's why B&W films look so great - the stock isn't carrying three layers of information, lowering the resolution. Technicolor, as a lab, had a huge degree of control over color due to having separations. Also, nearly every 3-strip Technicolor feature had a Technicolor color consultant (usually Natalie Kalmus until the early 1950s). It was just a great system. It also helped that Technicolor's lab was the best in the industry. That's why nearly all 3-strip Technicolor features exist in such great quality (outside of Fox's pre-1950 holdings) and effects/dissolves look a lot better than B&W films of the time. Prints were also made using metal-based dyes rather than organic dyes like Eastmancolor. Technicolor also required a gigantic amount of light and the film was usually finer grained to allow for better sharpness.

The thing about color fringing is actually a misconception. In later years, after negatives had shrunken or become damaged with age, color started to drift. On original prints, Technicolor's system allowed for a surprising accuracy. I've seen a few dye-transfer films in 35mm and other than some slight softening, the image quality is fantastic. They were also able to do a lot of work with Eastmancolor films printed in dye-transfer like The Godfather. They were able to fix the "dinner murder" scene through adjusting color separations. That has since been corrected digitally, but that's impressive to have that degree of correction in 1972.

The Wizard of Oz only had minor fringing issues before digital work and mostly around cuts. Films that really needed it for modern restorations were ones like The Red Shoes and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp due to the negatives not only being shrunken, but with mold infestation. Apparently that's a problem with a lot of British Technicolor films. Fox's films are in worse shape because they destroyed all their nitrate Technicolor negatives in 1976 after copying to Eastmancolor. I think all their safety film Technicolor films are fine (post-1951), but it was an incredibly stupid thing for them to do. Especially when other studios that sold their holdings for TV made sure Technicolor negatives were kept intact like Warner Bros. and Paramount.

Also, cinematographers had to be hand-picked by Technicolor. Look at the IMDB at some of the classic Technicolor films and see the cinematographers involved. Jack Cardiff, Ray Rennahan, George Perinal, Robert Krasker, Ernest Haller, Harold Rosson, etc. Pretty much the best in the industry at the time.

The Wikipedia article on Technicolor is great and there's also a section on the Widescreen Museum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor
http://widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/technicolor4.htm

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 19, 2015

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
When there is 3/4 production companies in the credits, who did the majority. Is someone giant like village roadshow in the financing distributing parts while the smaller ones are more creative producers? Help me understand!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How's the Veronica Mars movie?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It's basically pure fan service but it's mostly great at that if you consider yourself a fan.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I liked the show and it bored the gently caress out of me.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Like pretty much every big crowdfunding thing the fact that it was crowdfunded was the most noteworthy thing about it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bows1 posted:

When there is 3/4 production companies in the credits, who did the majority. Is someone giant like village roadshow in the financing distributing parts while the smaller ones are more creative producers? Help me understand!

There is no hard and fast rule but presentation credits are usually taken by financiers and distributors and production credits by companies who helped actually make the film. For example, making up some credits:

Film4 and Screen Yorkshire (bigger investors)
In association with Hanway Films (sales agent/international distributor) and LipSync (smaller equity)

Present

A Heyday Films, Nordisk Films and BAC Films production (3 main production companies assuming co-production)

In association with Element Films (smaller coproducer)
In coproduction with Film I Vast (smaller investor/coproducer)

When one knows what the companies are and what they do one can get a decent idea of how the film was put together by reading the credits.

You also need to review the individual credits to get the full picture.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

The first thing, which isn't as relevant today, is the printing process of Technicolor. Up until recently, B&W stock has always had more tonal range and depth than color. That's why B&W films look so great - the stock isn't carrying three layers of information, lowering the resolution. Technicolor, as a lab, had a huge degree of control over color due to having separations. Also, nearly every 3-strip Technicolor feature had a Technicolor color consultant (usually Natalie Kalmus until the early 1950s). It was just a great system. It also helped that Technicolor's lab was the best in the industry. That's why nearly all 3-strip Technicolor features exist in such great quality (outside of Fox's pre-1950 holdings) and effects/dissolves look a lot better than B&W films of the time. Prints were also made using metal-based dyes rather than organic dyes like Eastmancolor. Technicolor also required a gigantic amount of light and the film was usually finer grained to allow for better sharpness.

The thing about color fringing is actually a misconception. In later years, after negatives had shrunken or become damaged with age, color started to drift. On original prints, Technicolor's system allowed for a surprising accuracy. I've seen a few dye-transfer films in 35mm and other than some slight softening, the image quality is fantastic. They were also able to do a lot of work with Eastmancolor films printed in dye-transfer like The Godfather. They were able to fix the "dinner murder" scene through adjusting color separations. That has since been corrected digitally, but that's impressive to have that degree of correction in 1972.

The Wizard of Oz only had minor fringing issues before digital work and mostly around cuts. Films that really needed it for modern restorations were ones like The Red Shoes and The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp due to the negatives not only being shrunken, but with mold infestation. Apparently that's a problem with a lot of British Technicolor films. Fox's films are in worse shape because they destroyed all their nitrate Technicolor negatives in 1976 after copying to Eastmancolor. I think all their safety film Technicolor films are fine (post-1951), but it was an incredibly stupid thing for them to do. Especially when other studios that sold their holdings for TV made sure Technicolor negatives were kept intact like Warner Bros. and Paramount.

Also, cinematographers had to be hand-picked by Technicolor. Look at the IMDB at some of the classic Technicolor films and see the cinematographers involved. Jack Cardiff, Ray Rennahan, George Perinal, Robert Krasker, Ernest Haller, Harold Rosson, etc. Pretty much the best in the industry at the time.

The Wikipedia article on Technicolor is great and there's also a section on the Widescreen Museum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor
http://widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/technicolor4.htm

I aksed this somewhere else and never got an answer, but how come early color, especially two tone technicolor, never caught on? Stuff like Doctor X looks cool as gently caress.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

therattle posted:

There is no hard and fast rule but presentation credits are usually taken by financiers and distributors and production credits by companies who helped actually make the film. For example, making up some credits:

Film4 and Screen Yorkshire (bigger investors)
In association with Hanway Films (sales agent/international distributor) and LipSync (smaller equity)

Present

A Heyday Films, Nordisk Films and BAC Films production (3 main production companies assuming co-production)

In association with Element Films (smaller coproducer)
In coproduction with Film I Vast (smaller investor/coproducer)

When one knows what the companies are and what they do one can get a decent idea of how the film was put together by reading the credits.

You also need to review the individual credits to get the full picture.

Thanks! Im trying to find Creative/Production companies to apply to more than Financing production companies so this helps.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
What's with PTA casting the same guy for 2 roles in There Will Be Blood? It's so odd. Like I thought maybe Eli had some sort of dual personality thing going on or metaphor but in the wiki it just said the other actor quit so they had Dano do that part as Paul too. Such a small scene, why not just have some other actor do it?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

thehandtruck posted:

What's with PTA casting the same guy for 2 roles in There Will Be Blood? It's so odd. Like I thought maybe Eli had some sort of dual personality thing going on or metaphor but in the wiki it just said the other actor quit so they had Dano do that part as Paul too. Such a small scene, why not just have some other actor do it?

Aren't they supposed to be twin brothers?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

thehandtruck posted:

IIRC, Dano was cast as Paul originally, they shot his scenes first, then PTA liked him so much he told the original Eli actor to take a hike and made them identical twins.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

I aksed this somewhere else and never got an answer, but how come early color, especially two tone technicolor, never caught on? Stuff like Doctor X looks cool as gently caress.

Part of it, 3 strip was finalized in 1932, right as Doctor X and Mystery of the Wax Museum were made. 2 strip was mostly used for special scenes only and a relatively low amount of features were produced entirely in that process. Cinecolor was 2-strip and lasted into the early 50s - but it was a sign of cheapness at that point.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I think the bottom line was it cost a lot more money to make color movies and the ones that were released didn't make appreciably more money than B&W at the box office. So making color movies wasn't financially justified in the studios' eyes. And this is just my theory, but a lot of the early color movies like around '29/'30 were musicals. And musicals fell out of favor around that time. So they figured "These color movies aren't making any money!" when it was really because people were sick of musicals.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some films used Tech inserts really well. See the 1925 Ben-Hur, the opening scene of Seven Chances, and obviously The Phantom of the Opera. For that matter, that film had a lot more color originally, but only the first half of the Bal Masque exists. There is also beautiful stencil color effects on Lonesome, as well as the restored versions of Wings and Greed.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Toebone posted:

IIRC, Dano was cast as Paul originally, they shot his scenes first, then PTA liked him so much he told the original Eli actor to take a hike and made them identical twins.

I read the other actor couldn't make the scheduling work and dropped out or something but that always sounded odd to me that Dano was originally cast as such a minor role. He's a bigger actor than just that part.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I read the other actor couldn't make the scheduling work and dropped out or something but that always sounded odd to me that Dano was originally cast as such a minor role. He's a bigger actor than just that part.

He really wasn't a name before There Will Be Blood. It's like asking why Simon Pegg showed up in Band of Brothers. Actors enjoy being given the opportunity to work with certain people.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 21, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Do lists of the highest-grossing actors automatically exclude people who starred in major franchises? The Harry Potter movies made $7.7 billion, which should put the three stars at #2, #3, and #4 on the all-time list behind just Tom Hanks. Is there some convention to ignore them because it doesn't count?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Tom Hanks? What?

Shouldn't it be like, Sam Jackson having been in 3 Star Wars movies and 900 Marvel movies or something?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Chamale posted:

Do lists of the highest-grossing actors automatically exclude people who starred in major franchises? The Harry Potter movies made $7.7 billion, which should put the three stars at #2, #3, and #4 on the all-time list behind just Tom Hanks. Is there some convention to ignore them because it doesn't count?

I don't think it works like that. When they announce those things it's more centered around the individual who's seen as the lead and therefore the bigger draw. While Jackson has the biggest box office record, the movies in which he is the 'star' are lower down on the list. On the other hand, Hanks had a pretty successful run as a lead.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 22, 2015

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, if you look at a list of "highest grossing" actors compiled by the totals of everything they've appeared in, the top spot is occupied by Frank Welker, a voice actor in the new Transformers movies as well as just about every kids movie and TV show made in the past 20 years.

Sam Jackson is #2

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

FishBulb posted:

Tom Hanks? What?

Shouldn't it be like, Sam Jackson having been in 3 Star Wars movies and 900 Marvel movies or something?

It depends on if you count lead roles only or also supporting roles. Tom Hanks has the highest gross counting leads roles only, if you count all roles the top 3 are two voice actors and Sam Jackson. But Dan Radcliffe is the lead in an 8-movie franchise that grossed $7.5 billion, but for some reason I never seem to see him on these lists.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Because 7.5 billion is peanuts when you're talking about all time highest grossing. I'm certain Johnny Depp outranks him, for example.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, this is the list I was going by. Stan Lee is actually on there at #4, with just 23 movies under his belt (compared to 114 for Samuel L. Jackson.) Johnny Depp is at #23, and Radcliffe is all the way down at #82.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toebone posted:

Yeah, this is the list I was going by. Stan Lee is actually on there at #4, with just 23 movies under his belt (compared to 114 for Samuel L. Jackson.) Johnny Depp is at #23, and Radcliffe is all the way down at #82.

Even Clint Howard outranks him.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
It's because those lists are US/Canada numbers and the "Harry Potter made $7.5 billion" is the worldwide gross.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Toebone posted:

Yeah, if you look at a list of "highest grossing" actors compiled by the totals of everything they've appeared in, the top spot is occupied by Frank Welker, a voice actor in the new Transformers movies as well as just about every kids movie and TV show made in the past 20 years.

Sam Jackson is #2

Frank Welker is a beast, if you hear an animal, monster, or machine in a movie there's good odds that he's the one making the sounds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Frank Welker is a beast, if you hear an animal, monster, or machine in a movie there's good odds that he's the one making the sounds.

He's been the only Fred in Scooby Doo for 46 years!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also one of the only Scoobies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Toebone posted:

When you count lead roles only, Radcliffe is in second place, but I guess that is a pretty big distortion compared to the actors who've been in way more stuff.