Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

kalstrams posted:

As of a few days ago, app keeps signing me out at random moments for random intervals, and I don't have a clue why. Internet connection is present and functional at all times this happen. What happens, basically, is "loading failed" on any action, so my current way to solve this is press back button a few times until I get into main menu, then open the app again and log in. This one, repeated dozen or so times, usually lets me get it. It logs in every time, but it's always "loading failed" so I just back out, fire it up again and login again. I'm not sure if issue is with something on my phone or with the app, and neither am I sure in what information I should provide so the post is of any use. Phone is Nexus 5, Android 5.0.1, baseband version M8974A-2.0.50.2.22, kernel version 3.4.0-g88fbc66 (android-built@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1 Mon Oct 20 22:18:31 UTC 2014), build number LRX22C. Awful version is 3.1.2b. Also, it more seems that issue is time locked, X number of logins resolving it seems dumb. If that's the case, I'd eyeball 10 or so minutes.

Try deleting the app data. Also where are you from, could your problem be cloudflare related?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sereri posted:

Try deleting the app data. Also where are you from, could your problem be cloudflare related?
I'm in Sweden, I didn't use application prior to coming here. This year is when it started to happen, I use it since September 2014.
I'll delete the application data and post again if the issue returns.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is there a way to make pictures auto resize? Or do you have to upload them to imgur, and link them that way?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I love using the app on my tablet, however sometimes when I set my device down, it enters landscape mode and kicks me back out to the thread menu.

Locking to portrait mode is a simple enough fix, but strangely enough this introduces the problem of locking other apps (such as the YouTube app) into portrait mode as well as long as the awful app is open.

On my phone, this isn't an issue. When I enter landscape mode on my phone, it just rotates the current thread.

Is there a setting I'm missing to disable the app kicking me out to the menu when it enters landscape?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

10 Beers posted:

Is there a way to make pictures auto resize? Or do you have to upload them to imgur, and link them that way?
When posting or when viewing threads?

PhilippAchtel posted:

I love using the app on my tablet, however sometimes when I set my device down, it enters landscape mode and kicks me back out to the thread menu.

Locking to portrait mode is a simple enough fix, but strangely enough this introduces the problem of locking other apps (such as the YouTube app) into portrait mode as well as long as the awful app is open.

On my phone, this isn't an issue. When I enter landscape mode on my phone, it just rotates the current thread.

Is there a setting I'm missing to disable the app kicking me out to the menu when it enters landscape?

Is it a nexus 7?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Sereri posted:

When posting or when viewing threads?

Oops, sorry! I was talking about posting pictures.

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

Mine kicks me out too and does this. I'm on a Nexus 6.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Unclean009 posted:

Mine kicks me out too and does this. I'm on a Nexus 6.

Ughhhh, I guess we need a new definition for tablet / phone. It used to only do that on ~7 inch tablets

10 Beers posted:

Oops, sorry! I was talking about posting pictures.

Unless you mean packing it into [timg] tags, no.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sereri posted:

Unless you mean packing it into [timg] tags, no.
Can we get, say, auto-application of [img] or [timg] (user choice) tags for image? I am not UI designer, but I'd say that you could do it with the button that inserts [img] tags calling out a window with textbox where you past your image link, and two buttons below it - [img] and [timg], which do the respective thing - since that will result in same amount of actions needed to past an image, and 4 actions less to make a [timg]. Same for URL, with, for example, buttons for plain link and titled link. Same for video, with, for example, regex, or something, parse to strip/convert mobile/shortened links and append start time for playback (for YouTube in particular, I mean).

Also, code blocks scroll like an rear end to a side, if you view some really long code line in portrait mode on Nexus 5. It scrolls like a letter or two sideways with a swipe, so if you read programming posts you look like playing some game on your phone.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Sereri posted:

Is it a nexus 7?

Yes, it is. Oh dear, did I miss a simple fix on the OP?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey Sereri, how come the project is still using old versions of gradle? I just tried importing into AS 1.0.2 and it's saying gradle 0.14.1 is outright not supported anymore, and that I should update to gradle 1.0.0. I have to do it manually and some other things still don't work, because honestly I have no idea what I'm doing with gradle and wrappers. I have to import it as a non-Android Studio project anyway, since it thinks the wrapper isn't configured for the project (even though there are wrapper files in the top folder), I don't know if that's breaking anything

Basically any tips would be good if you have them, this might be throwing off other people who want to play with it too (probably hundreds of them). Am I ok using a newer version of gradle for everything, or will that cause problems? It looks like some of the build files need rewriting, or something

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Sereri posted:

Is it a nexus 7?

My Note 8.0 does it too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ok I got gradle working, I guess y'all just don't pull any of that fancy updated stuff eh

kalstrams posted:

Also, code blocks scroll like an rear end to a side, if you view some really long code line in portrait mode on Nexus 5. It scrolls like a letter or two sideways with a swipe, so if you read programming posts you look like playing some game on your phone.

I added an option to make fixed-width text (like in code blocks) a lot smaller ages ago, which Worked On My Device but obviously doesn't on my N5. I've worked out a fix for that anyway, doesn't help with the scrolling issue but it does make it so you don't have to scroll so much in the first place

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

PhilippAchtel posted:

I've been getting this on my Nexus 7, but yesterday I discovered that if I swipe right to left on the thread menu it takes me to the subforum, and if I swipe again I get back to the thread. So it's still annoying but it's not nearly as much of a pain.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

kalstrams posted:

I noticed this too. Turning my phone on its side for landscape mode helps a lot, but it's way more annoying to read the thread that way.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

baka kaba posted:

Hey Sereri, how come the project is still using old versions of gradle? I just tried importing into AS 1.0.2 and it's saying gradle 0.14.1 is outright not supported anymore, and that I should update to gradle 1.0.0. I have to do it manually and some other things still don't work, because honestly I have no idea what I'm doing with gradle and wrappers. I have to import it as a non-Android Studio project anyway, since it thinks the wrapper isn't configured for the project (even though there are wrapper files in the top folder), I don't know if that's breaking anything

Basically any tips would be good if you have them, this might be throwing off other people who want to play with it too (probably hundreds of them). Am I ok using a newer version of gradle for everything, or will that cause problems? It looks like some of the build files need rewriting, or something

Mostly because I have done gently caress all since around mid-december, didn't even manage to merge in the changes someone sent me.

As for the rest, I guess the problem is that Awful considers your tablets a phone in portrait and a tablet in landscape and switches between to 2 modes when you rotate. I suppose we need to change the way we detect tablets.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I really hate needing to ask because the answer is probably super obvious to everyone but me, but what exactly is the difference between phone and tablets modes?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It used to be quite different layout-wise but nowadays, not so much really. I think the only thing when using a tablet is that the forum index and forum view are smaller than a screen so you can have them next to each other.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Mostly because I have done gently caress all since around mid-december, didn't even manage to merge in the changes someone sent me.

As for the rest, I guess the problem is that Awful considers your tablets a phone in portrait and a tablet in landscape and switches between to 2 modes when you rotate. I suppose we need to change the way we detect tablets.

Ah right, I'm guessing it was only a small version bump anyway and they just decided to make it obsolete. I thought AS 1.0 was meant to put all this fuckery behind us, but I guess not!

Also what did you say the lowest API version you want to support is now? 14?

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 4, 2015

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sassafras posted:

If that someone is me, I've been running my build for the past month without incident

Sounds great, send me a pull-request if you find the time

Sassafras posted:

I've subsequently been too distracted by a new baby

Congratulations!

/edit: :siren: dear black box people, please disable hardware acceleration in the options and see if you still get black boxes. :siren:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 22, 2015

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
A question, and a feature request contingent on its answer: is there a button or something in the thread view for 'jump to last read post'? It'd be 'to next unread page' most of the time, I guess, unless I'm in a liveblog thread or fyad maybe, but.

If there isn't, could there be? I occasionally bounce back to the op for things, and the last page of the thread is often not where I left off.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Can't you just mark the last post you read using 'mark as last read'? Won't that return you to that post?

Edit: I just tried it and it works fine

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Can't you just mark the last post you read using 'mark as last read'? Won't that return you to that post?

Edit: I just tried it and it works fine

Yes, last-post tracking works.

I was looking for some means of returning there from within the thread, rather than backing out to the forum/bookmarks.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Any chance of adding forums cancer in a future update?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CrashCat posted:

Any chance of adding forums cancer in a future update?

There's like 5 people left with it, so I don't really think it's worth it at this point.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Have I missed something? the last two posts are very confusing due to the guy asking for the thing having the avatar of the thing he asked for, does he mean something else?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Have I missed something? the last two posts are very confusing due to the guy asking for the thing having the avatar of the thing he asked for, does he mean something else?
His post is also greyed out if you look closer. That is not avatar he chose, that is forum status rewarded to outstanding, in a certain way, people.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2308
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2309

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This has happened twice in the last week now. After reading the forums for 15-20 minutes, my phone will seem to do a sudden, hard shutdown (no warning, just black screen). When this happens, I notice that it's quite hot where I suspect the CPU is (towards the top, not where the battery is). The phone will be unresponsive for a few hours, then suddenly I'll be able to turn it back on (at least, I hope that happens this time as well). I have a Nexus 4 on 5.0.1. Any ideas what might be going on?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hooah posted:

This has happened twice in the last week now. After reading the forums for 15-20 minutes, my phone will seem to do a sudden, hard shutdown (no warning, just black screen). When this happens, I notice that it's quite hot where I suspect the CPU is (towards the top, not where the battery is). The phone will be unresponsive for a few hours, then suddenly I'll be able to turn it back on (at least, I hope that happens this time as well). I have a Nexus 4 on 5.0.1. Any ideas what might be going on?
You may have phone incapable of operating under 5.0.1.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hooah posted:

Your phone is broken.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kalstrams posted:

It's been fine otherwise, though. When/if it comes back to life, I'll try using some other app for a while to see if I can trigger it.

spankmeister posted:

Your phone is broken.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I'd like to know if it's broken in a way that is at all repairable. My wife does NOT want us to spend money on a phone right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Honestly that sounds like a heat problem rather than an app problem. I would think the only way to verify would be to do something that pegs the CPU while keeping the screen on and see if that does it too.

The Nexus 4 when it launched had really intrusive thermal throttling. I seem to remember it not being able to complete benchmark tests because of it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Honestly that sounds like a heat problem rather than an app problem. I would think the only way to verify would be to do something that pegs the CPU while keeping the screen on and see if that does it too.

Sky Force does heat up the phone pretty good, but I haven't had this problem with it. I'll try that later today. Anything that you know of that will for sure peg the CPU?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Sky Force does heat up the phone pretty good, but I haven't had this problem with it. I'll try that later today. Anything that you know of that will for sure peg the CPU?
I'll admit that I don't but I would imagine gaming for a half hour would do it.

I mean, I'm basically talking out my rear end here but when a device just shuts down all of a sudden it's usually heat or a broken device and you mentioned it being hot...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit that I don't but I would imagine gaming for a half hour would do it.

I mean, I'm basically talking out my rear end here but when a device just shuts down all of a sudden it's usually heat or a broken device and you mentioned it being hot...

Yeah, I figured it shut down due to heat, I'm just confused as to why Awful.apk would suddenly be causing it to heat up so much.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah this is very indicative of thermal shutdown and the reason it won't start up again right away is because the thermal fuse thing needs to reset.

Awful may be is buggy but whatever bugs there may be that cause your phone to overheat, no app should be able to shut down your phone and keep it disabled for a while after. That's not a software problem.

Hence my conclusion.

You could try some CPU throttling apps to mitigate this though. It's a work around but eh.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

kalstrams posted:

Can't be the problem, I've also got a Nexus 4 running 5.0.1 and it doesn't overheat like this.

hooah posted:

Yeah, I figured it shut down due to heat, I'm just confused as to why Awful.apk would suddenly be causing it to heat up so much.

Too many images or videos loading at once?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try disabling gif animation and hardware acceleration etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My first thought is GIFs and how they just punish the CPU but I haven't seen that in a long time, especially not on Lollipop. I thought that was fixed at least in KitKat or one of the later Jelly Beans.

Awful has a lot of settings somewhere on this if I remember correctly. Maybe GIFs/avatars/hardware acceleration or some combination of them?

I know on Something I've never seen image-heavy threads peg the CPU but I've always used that on a Nexus 5 which is a lot better from a heat perspective. Still, it should be the same software so I don't know why Awful would do it and Something wouldn't since they should both be using the same WebView. :shrug: