Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Catching up with this thread, and being generally unfamiliar with Rovers has been a continuous progression of what the gently caress.

Also; Adiabatic is a better man than most of us for not pushing the damned thing out of his garage and throwing a road flare in through an open window, and then relaxing with a beer in hand, enjoying the warmth of his new backyard RoverFire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
CSB, aside from stockholm syndrome, why didn't you ever put a LS series engine in yours when you had it? Seems like you had the know-how.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MrYenko posted:

Also; Adiabatic is a better man than most of us for not pushing the damned thing out of his garage and throwing a road flare in through an open window, and then relaxing with a beer in hand, enjoying the warmth of his new backyard RoverFire.

1 hp ~= 2,544 BTU/hr

2003 LR Discovery II Engine Power = 217 hp

217 hp ~= 552,142 BTU/hr ~= 153.37 BTU/sec

1 gallon pump gas ~= 125,000 BTU

2003 LR Discovery II fuel capacity = 24.6 gallons

24.6 gallons pump gas ~= 3,075,000 BTU

Assuming a fuel tank explosion timeframe of one second (I can't find any data on this in the ten seconds I allowed for it), and as long as streetlamp is kind enough to fill up on the way over...

3,075,000 BTU/sec = 11,070,000,000 BTU/hr ~= 4,350,672 hp

Hey streetlamp wanna see your Landy's horsepower increase 20,000 times over for exactly one second?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I thought about this a lot last night in bed and decided that I think swapping in a F20C is the best course of action going forward.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

:3:

I'm a huge fan of Flemish Sours, but it's super difficult to get my friends to buy them for me. Luckily the #1 beer bar in the USA is about 5 miles from my house and the owner loves to find rare low-volume casks of Belgian/Flemish Sours.

Yes you do. My (admittedly either redneck or ricer) car buddies think I'm weird for my irrational love for turbocharged five-cylinders. They also think I'm an idiot for the two BMWs I've had, which were honestly horrible examples. Not doing the German fans proud out here in RVA.

You should look for http://www.destihlbrewery.com/Wild_Sour_Series_2.html

I drank the four pack of Flanders Red in short order. Very tasty, quite sour. Also a good bit cheaper, since it's not imported.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

streetlamp posted:

I thought about this a lot last night in bed and decided that I think swapping in a F20C is the best course of action going forward.

Ha streetlamp's got jokes

Let me know when you wanna start on your gasket adventure. The lift is pretty tied up for the next week, but hopefully there'll be some time weekend after next.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

You will be the first to know, thanks dude

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

CSB, aside from stockholm syndrome, why didn't you ever put a LS series engine in yours when you had it? Seems like you had the know-how.

Its almost bolt in if you know which GM parts to pillage from what.
NVs emissions forbid me from legally doing an engine swap.
CA I could do it after paying some fines and visiting the bar guys.

I wanted a 6.2/6.5, which is still an improvement...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Diesel?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Yes, its sad. The only thing that would be even diesel wise is an olds 350 diesel.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah.

But theres inadequacies with the platform too. Radius arms are poo poo. axles are made from wet babyshit, steering boxes are bullshit.

The Tcase is the only drat good thing in the running gear.

It was just worth it for me to cash out vs try and unfuck the mess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

streetlamp posted:

What kind of idiot would thing that putting a 2.0 16v petrol engine in a Discovery would be a good idea?

Oh, wait, yeah.

:britain:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

What kind of idiot would thing that putting a 2.0 16v petrol engine in a Discovery would be a good idea?

Oh, wait, yeah.

:britain:

4BT :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiIP2bs03fc

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

That ain' a disco.
(you'd need dry sump to make it work, or clock the fucker.. or a lift.... )

iirc aussie fenders had it as a option.
and african fenders got the M52 bmw I6.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

I AM NOT OKAY WITH THIS

WHY IS IT IN EVEN MORE PARTS NOW

It's only going to go downhill from here :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Its almost bolt in if you know which GM parts to pillage from what.
NVs emissions forbid me from legally doing an engine swap.
CA I could do it after paying some fines and visiting the bar guys.

This makes me irrationally angry.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

This makes me irrationally angry.

Why do you think I diced it up and plan on buying a 60s era M715?!

I can do whatever the gently caress I want.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

A challenger appears...

It's 2WD and auto, but I got it for a steal. Kastein has already given me the skinny on making it manual and 4WD :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Does it really provide either? :v:

Cool pick up. And pickup.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

I don't even know how many MJs are in AI now but it's a lot. OneOverZero, me, iForge, Sandbagger, angryrobot?, tonedef, Blaise, a few others I think?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

PO tool count:

work gloves, two allen wrenches, a 3/8 ratchet, a 1/2 & 9/16 double ended box wrench, a 7/16 3/8 socket, a big adjustable wrench, a pocket razor blade knife thing, and a pocket knife

Dude's son was super high while he was cleaning it out.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

No used syringes? Weak

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

cursedshitbox posted:

That ain' a disco.
(you'd need dry sump to make it work, or clock the fucker.. or a lift.... )

iirc aussie fenders had it as a option.
and african fenders got the M52 bmw I6.

The Aus one was the Isuzu 4BD1 in the Series III and then the coily 110/120 Landrovers. Massive powerhouse engine that, 3.9L of 4cyl NA fury- all of 78kw and 207nm of torque. The 6x6 Perentie the Aus Army developed used the 4BD1-T which bolted a turbo to the same engine, that coughed out 100kw and 330nm.

Probably the pick of the engines in the Aus landies is the TD5- 2.5L 5cyl turbo diesel that still only made 122hp, but used it well.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
One of us one of us one of us.

Good find dude! Does it have the latch for the rear window? If so post a pic. They are unobtanium and I've never seen one intact.

Enjoy the burn.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nice find, always been a fan of those. What are the plans for it of than manual and 4wd?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh drat, nice find man! Once the conversion is complete you'll have to bring it out here, I'm sure there's a ton of fire trails in Nelson to bomb around on.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

iForge posted:

One of us one of us one of us.

Good find dude! Does it have the latch for the rear window? If so post a pic. They are unobtanium and I've never seen one intact.

Enjoy the burn.

Didn't even think to check... I'll get back to you tonight about that one.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nice find, always been a fan of those. What are the plans for it of than manual and 4wd?

The engine is leaking oil and running slightly rough, as well as some :banjo: wiring issues. Heat in the cabin sucks, and I can't yet tell if it's a cooling problem or just the heater core. Lastly anything over 55 is harrowing. So step one is to unfuck the PO's "work".

After that I'll probably just enjoy it while I source parts for the manual/4WD swap. I'm in no hurry to get it there and the girlfriend is excited that I finally have an auto for her to drive around, so I'll let her get bored of it first.

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh drat, nice find man! Once the conversion is complete you'll have to bring it out here, I'm sure there's a ton of fire trails in Nelson to bomb around on.

I'm definitely down to do some trails. Afterwards we can set up the telescope and see some cool poo poo since RVA is so bright.

and hold hands and talk about the universe. How's your Neil deGrasse Tyson impression? :glomp:

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 22, 2015

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

A box full of gaskets arrived today, let me know when you're ready to welcome a rover back into your life. Totally available to help out with the Jeep or MR2 if needed too. Even if not needed I'm available to drink beer, observe and criticize.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

streetlamp posted:

A box full of gaskets arrived today, let me know when you're ready to welcome a rover back into your life. Totally available to help out with the Jeep or MR2 if needed too. Even if not needed I'm available to drink beer, observe and criticize.

Let me make sure no looming projects are on the horizon and we'll schedule. I've got that turbo swap on Saturday, but we should be able to get gettin pretty soon here. PM me with good dates for you.

Also, this here's for iForge:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Put the MJ on the lift today:

The sheer lack of rust is just stupidly incredible:

The engine bay, however :psyboom:

What a lovely thing to do to such a well-preserved truck. God damned rednecks.

Also found this in my coolant reservoir:

O Great Jeep Whisperer Kastein says it's not engine oil as I had suspected, but transmission oil. Looks like it's time to check the trans level and look into another oil cooler :v:

Projects? Already?!?! Lucky me!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What exactly did you think would happen? :v:

I am drat jealous and if I ever need another MJ I am coming down to go MJ hunting. I've never even seen some of that sheetmetal, it just doesn't exist.

The header panel is fortunately an XJ part, you can swap on a complete nose as new as a 96 and it'll bolt right up. If you want to swap only the fiberglass shell and put all your lights and grille and plastics and crap on it the newest you can use is a 90.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I want one of those as a desert beater to play around in.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I wish I was nearby just to go hang out and wrench on poo poo. I have a reliable commuter so my wrenching is pretty infrequent. :smith:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sweet. That looks real clean. Those MJs are all RENIX right? If you don't go the kastein route and tear that whole system out, here's some stuff I did to my RENIX XJ.

Firstly, Cruiser54's RENIX Tips is pretty useful.

Things you should do right off when you have time (most of these are covered in detail in the above guide):

• When you flush that grody coolant jack the rear end up, remove the gauge temp sensor/sender from the rear of the head and bleed the closed system properly
  • Clean out the stupid C101 connector above the brake booster or remove it entirely as some guys do, there's lots of guides
  • CLEAN EVERY GROUND POINT - batt negative on the block, ground point on the firewall, etc. I think the MJ has a specific ground behind the driver's taillight for the fuel pump/gauge.
  • CLEAN ALL THE CONNECTORS IN THE BAY - just go through and blast them all out with contact cleaner and wirebrush any points you can
  • Add new grounds - the whole RENIX system is poorly grounded. I added a new ground from the neg batt terminal, a new ground from the fuel rail to the firewall, and a new gauge ground under the dash.
  • A set of Bosch 280-155-703 injectors from certain junkyard Dodge/Chryslers did wonders for my idle and general running. Some guys report decent mpg gains too. Get two sets at your junkyard (they only come in 4cyl models), grab this rebuild kit and clean 'em up.

All the ground/connection stuff is a little tedious but you can knock it out in an afternoon and it eliminates a ton of the common issues the RENIX jeeps suffer from. I also gradually replaced my TPS/O2 sensor/IAC/knock sensor/engine temp sensor/most of the gaskets & seals/etc. The thing runs fantastically well.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

^^^^ Totally gonna go all that soon. Thanks for the info! ^^^^

Welp, just found this bullshit on the roof:

That rust spot from the CB antenna is 6" across.

The hole is straight through to the headliner. Gonna pull the interior this Saturday to see if the floors are rusting from rain.

:argh: loving HILLBILLIES :argh:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

What.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Only thing I could think of: the british are coming.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

You should make it so that when you hit the switch, a little finger comes out from under the hood and flips it back off.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wire that to the horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wire that to a train horn.

Just a little "Hello" to overly curious passers-by.