Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Lower powered characters also couldn't stun higher powered characters with regular hits which was really funny.
Burter flailing away at Janemba and then just bouncing off his massive gut will never not be the funniest poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Endorph posted:

That's how it works in the Budokai Tenkaichi games, too. Saibamen have like three health bars and do about 2-3k damage a combo, SSJ4 Gogeta has like 7 health bars and does 6-8k a combo. Some of the characters (Yajirobe, Master Roshi, General Tao) can't even fly for extended periods of time - if they stay in the air too long, they just flop to the ground.

The best thing in the Tenkaichi games is that fusions created in battle rather than selected as a fighter are way, way stronger. I was doing one of the challenge missions in #2, and did the Potara fusion to get Vegito against Android 18. Then I set the controller down, got up, went and made myself a glass of iced tea and a sandwich, came back and was only at roughly half health from an expert computer beating on me. In retrospect, sort of sad, but also funny.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Speaking of the games, was tehre ever another adventure side scroller like Dragonball Adventures on the GBA? I just heard about that game semi-recently and played through it in like 2 sittings. Getting to play as Krillin afterwards was amazing.
I believe there is an original DragonBall sidescroller on the Wii?

Endorph posted:

Burter flailing away at Janemba and then just bouncing off his massive gut will never not be the funniest poo poo

One thing I liked about Burter is that they did try to make him "fast" by making every punch of his count as three punches. So technically he could wrack up way longer combos but the damage would be way lower than if someone else had as many hits.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Beating up Kid Buu as Hercule in the main campaign in BT3 will always be my finest moment. I worked up quite a sweat and annoyance with the constant dialog insisting I switch in.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Did toryiama ever address what he was going for with burter being the fastest in the universe?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Did toryiama ever address what he was going for with burter being the fastest in the universe?
the ginyu force needed cool powers

speed is a cool power

burter died before he could do anything because toriyama was making it up as he went

what else is there to understand

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Speaking of Toriyama making stuff up, is it generally agreed that at some point in the story Goku and Vegeta were supposed use the fusion dance against Buu?

It makes more sense that they would split up inside of him due to time running out then...uh....whatever the reason that Buu's innards undoing the Portara fusion was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Speaking of Toriyama making stuff up, is it generally agreed that at some point in the story Goku and Vegeta were supposed use the fusion dance against Buu?

It makes more sense that they would split up inside of him due to time running out then...uh....whatever the reason that Buu's innards undoing the Portara fusion was.
'bad air'

honestly, DBM's explanation of the power of the Kais that Buu absorbed undoing the fusion makes way more sense.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

the ginyu force needed cool powers

speed is a cool power

burter died before he could do anything because toriyama was making it up as he went

what else is there to understand

I think I mentioned this before, but Burter was my favorite Ginyu force member in the old days when the dub would restart after Goku takes out Recoome. The fact that Burter wound up doing the least of all the members (even Guldo got a chapter or two!) kinda bummed me out.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Goku really wanted to beat the poo poo out of Burter. It was insane.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Rudoku posted:

Goku really wanted to beat the poo poo out of Burter. It was insane.

Goku is not a fan of the blue people.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Testekill posted:

Goku is not a fan of the blue people.

Chi Chi took him out to see Blue Man Group one night. It was a disaster.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

It's more impressive/intimidating than "I'm faster than anyone I've ever encountered to this point, so I must be the fastest in the universe! (Though, to be fair, I've never seen Frieza in combat outside of his hoveround.)"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if Burter was faster than Ginyu. TFS pretty much said everything on the subject that I had always been wondering.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed Toriyama's explanation for how he became so fast (his mother used to slap him if he was slow in getting his chores done). In fact, all the Ginyu backstories are pretty fantastic, in the same way as Oda's explanations for how everything in One Piece works are fantastic (e.g. Zoro can talk with a sword between his teeth because "he speaks from the heart" and Sanji doesn't get burned when he uses that attack that sets his leg on fire because "his heart is burning hotter").

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The way I understood it was that he specialized in speed so much that was indeed faster than people with more ki than him, but not when they overpower him by a loooot (as Goku proved). "Fastest in the universe" just sounds better than "Person with the most efficient ki/speed ratio in the universe".

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Problem is his fighting seemed to be him and Jeice flying at Goku syncing at the same speed so what was the point of being the fastest.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Look it sounded cool on his resume.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

socialsecurity posted:

Problem is his fighting seemed to be him and Jeice flying at Goku syncing at the same speed so what was the point of being the fastest.

What use is speed when you're leaving your best buddy in the dust?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Zoro can talk with a sword between his teeth because "he speaks from the heart"

I dunno about the rest, but "speaking from the heart" is literally the Japanese word/phrase for telepathy. Technically, if there's an English source material that reads it as "speaking from the heart", they aren't doing a very good job.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
"Speaking from the heart" is so much more :zoro:.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mordaedil posted:

I dunno about the rest, but "speaking from the heart" is literally the Japanese word/phrase for telepathy. Technically, if there's an English source material that reads it as "speaking from the heart", they aren't doing a very good job.

If that's the case, how would you say "speaking from the heart" as a native English speaker would understand it?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

facebook jihad posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but Burter was my favorite Ginyu force member in the old days when the dub would restart after Goku takes out Recoome. The fact that Burter wound up doing the least of all the members (even Guldo got a chapter or two!) kinda bummed me out.

I feel the same way. He had such an interesting design, it's a shame it was kind of wasted.

Xibanya posted:

If that's the case, how would you say "speaking from the heart" as a native English speaker would understand it?

The translations could just change it to telepathy, but that doesn't sound as dramatic.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
... Speaking from the Mind? The Will? :shrug:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Poor Zarbon, killed by Yamcha in the SNES rpg.

EDIT: And Recoome too. What a horrible fate.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 21, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The next section ended up hilarious for me cause Ginyu used Body Change on Chaotzu. We then proceeded to kill Chaotzu and keep Ginyu in the party. RIP useless kid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HGH posted:

The next section ended up hilarious for me cause Ginyu used Body Change on Chaotzu. We then proceeded to kill Chaotzu and keep Ginyu in the party. RIP useless kid.

I'm now picturing Ginyu wearing Chiaotzu's standard outfit and it's freaking hilarious

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I just saw Dragon Ball Battle of Z...man that felt like classic Dragon Ball from good humor to bad humor to humor I both laughed and cringed at (Trunks hitting on Mai)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

HGH posted:

I just used this glitch also. I just wish that everyone except for Tien acted like Chiaotzu is still there.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That translation on the SNES RPG is so goddamn terrible. I really wish someone did a once-over on it and made it a little more fun to play, or gave it more character. I still ended up finishing the game back when I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure I had to hit up a walkthrough. Also picking the cards and not knowing that the "Defense" of the cards were was sad. Needed more enemy variety, too.

I really want a sequel to the DS RPG.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 21, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Firstborn posted:

That translation on the SNES RPG is so goddamn terrible. I really wish someone did a once-over on it and made it a little more fun to play, or gave it more character. I still ended up finishing the game back when I was a kid, but I'm pretty sure I had to hit up a walkthrough. Also picking the cards and not knowing that the "Defense" of the cards were was sad. Needed more enemy variety, too.

I really want a sequel to the DS RPG.

The defense of the cards is just 1-7 in Kanji as seen here.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

NutritiousSnack posted:

I just saw Dragon Ball Battle of Z...man that felt like classic Dragon Ball from good humor to bad humor to humor I both laughed and cringed at (Trunks hitting on Mai)

I always thought Trunks was a waste of potential considering how badass future Trunks is, but that totally redeemed him for me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I really and truly don't know why Trunks and Goten aren't trained harder than they are. I understand that they're really powerful for their age, but once they grow up, you'd think Goku and Vegeta would be pushing them to be ultra-badasses just to one-up the other.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

I really and truly don't know why Trunks and Goten aren't trained harder than they are. I understand that they're really powerful for their age, but once they grow up, you'd think Goku and Vegeta would be pushing them to be ultra-badasses just to one-up the other.

Goku and Vegeta respect childhood

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

New Leaf posted:

I always kind of assumed it's both of them mellowing out as they got older.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Goku and Vegeta respect childhood

They sure as hell didn't with Gohan.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Goku did right up until an alien kidnapped his kid and then another alien had to shoot him in the chest to kill said alien.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

New Leaf posted:

And look what it made him, a neurotic burnout who never matched up to his father's legacy. Goku learned the dangers of helicopter parenting well (though granted he was dead, beatup or otherwise absent for most of both his sons lives anyway)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To be fair if you were indirectly involved with your father's death (twice, technicaly) then you'd have your hang ups too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
First DLC pack for Dragonball Xenoverse announced. $10 for five new main story quests, 15 new parallel quests, 5 new costumes, 15 new special moves and GT Goku, Pan, and Trunks as playable characters.

• Locked thread