Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

Episode 22 - Can't Stop The Rock with ChaosArgate and Panzer Skank

I am really bad at bombs, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Drakli posted:

And... Poes. Poes in Ocarina of Time are one of those enemies. One of those enemies that make me feel like a heel for killing them.

I played OoT in the holidays, and I talked to some character, I don't remember who it was, but he explained that Poes are pretty much spirits filled with hatred for what, I don't remember, probably for the living. I really can't feel bad for putting them out of their misery.

I would go check and confirm this, but the emulator ate my save. :saddowns:

^^
Fake edit: Oh, hello.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I keep a rolling backup of my save states on dropbox, if you like, HardDisk I can send you mine from just before this temple so you don't have to redo everything!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pretty please, then? :kimchi:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Funnily enough, Awkward Zombie wondered about Sheik's volcano problems a few years back.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Watching back now, it's nice to finally know what that snippet of cake conversation that I missed was. :v:

So hey we picked up the Giant's Knife this episode and it broke! Once broken, it has the range and power of the Kokiri Sword, but you're unable to defend yourself so if you want to give yourself a challenge, this is the item for you! According to one of the Zelda wikis, if you buy another Giant's Knife, it'll be sliiiiiiightly more durable so you can use it a whole one more time! You can keep doing this until it reaches a total of 8 hits before it breaks. gently caress the Giant's Knife.

Also, according to Wikipedia:

quote:

Bolero is a genre of slow-tempo Latin music and its associated dance.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Drakli posted:

Sure, Poes usually attack first, but when I strike them, they panic, backing away and frantically waving their arms like, "No, no, please!" begging for their unlives.

I always got more of a mischievous feel from that, like they're going "oh no you don't!" Probably because of how often they laugh while fighting you. And because most of the time they'd back straight through a wall so it really felt like they were having fun messing with me.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think the idea with the gorons isn't that they built their house out of their version of cake. They're living inside a mountain - they ate their way into a giant cake and just plopped down there because it turns out rocks are super solid and easy to live in. If you look at the walls you see a bunch of big gouges here and there where some goron decided to have a snack.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I always figured that they'd mined out all the edible rock and what was left was inedible rock, like the rock equivalent of bone or something.

None of the other races ever understand how loving metal Goron City is, much to the Gorons' confusion

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah, there are different sorts of rocks in the world. Like, granite is not the same thing as basalt on a mineral level, and those two barely have anything in common with marble or limestone. Back before we cleared the dodongo cavern for them, they were talking about how much better those rocks are, there's even a dude who tried to eat the city walls and hurt his stomach. So there's this seam of super delicious rock that they've been mining out of the cavern (presumably the kind of rock that has 2-5 hearts inside it) and then there's normal rock that they pretty much just delays starvation if eat it - like a human making their bread out of wheat stalks instead of wheat grain.

They built their city next to the most excellent 'farmland' in all of goron civilization (gorons in other games after this talk about how much better the food is on death mountain).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Faerie Fortune posted:

I keep a rolling backup of my save states on dropbox, if you like, HardDisk I can send you mine from just before this temple so you don't have to redo everything!

Not that she uses them herself.

Like say, making a save state before playing with Lava

then immediately not using it :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

They're mostly used for picking up right where she left off actually. :v:

Vernal
Apr 23, 2014

HardDisk posted:

I played OoT in the holidays, and I talked to some character, I don't remember who it was, but he explained that Poes are pretty much spirits filled with hatred for what, I don't remember, probably for the living. I really can't feel bad for putting them out of their misery.

I would go check and confirm this, but the emulator ate my save. :saddowns:
I believe we've seen this conversation in the LP - Episode 15, starting at 10:17, with the part you're talking about at 10:58. Fittingly, it's the Poe collector :)

quote:

The ghosts, called Poes, are spirits of concentrated hatred that appear in the fields and graveyard. They hate the world!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Bolero of Fire is my second favorite OoT song.

I definitely yelled "stop chasing him" a couple of times in this episode. I was also really confused at how Fae stopped and posted up right in front of the bomb flowers and then proceeded to use her entire stock of bombs instead of using the bomb flowers.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Is it possible to stop him by shooting the bomb flowers with the bow? I feel like I did that, or at least spent a bunch of time trying it when I was a kid.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Best 200 rupees I ever spent.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Krampus Grewcock posted:

Is it possible to stop him by shooting the bomb flowers with the bow? I feel like I did that, or at least spent a bunch of time trying it when I was a kid.

you can at least ignite the bomb flowers and we're all dumb for not knowing that was possible.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I know shooting a bomb will blow it up. I think shooting a bomb flower will also detonate it? It might just light it.

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.
It took me a lot of practice to get that right, too. You don't have to apologize for that.

...what I do have to ask, though, is why you didn't use the Bomb Flowers on him, instead of your own personal bombs. They were right there!

EDIT: Fae, have you been back to the Temple of Time recently? There might be the possibility that there's a thing that can be done there.

Bluemage142 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 20, 2015

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Yeah, I am surprised that none of them thought to go back and demand a refund.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I never use the bombflowers for that. I feel like the extra step of picking up the bombflower would make it even more awkward to aim.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bluemage142 posted:

EDIT: Fae, have you been back to the Temple of Time recently? There might be the possibility that there's a thing that can be done there.

I think I said something about the temple of time in the leadup to the recording session but I think we all forgot about it, I'll try to keep it in mind for the next session. :v:

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think I said something about the temple of time in the leadup to the recording session but I think we all forgot about it, I'll try to keep it in mind for the next session. :v:

I bring it up for two reasons.

1. Because her reaction to the thing is likely to be priceless, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.
2. It's a secret. I've sent you a PM about this one. If it happens, I want it to be a surprise.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Vernal posted:

I believe we've seen this conversation in the LP - Episode 15, starting at 10:17, with the part you're talking about at 10:58. Fittingly, it's the Poe collector :)

I had a hunch that it was him, but I was certain it was Navi. Thanks. :v:

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I was pissed when it broke with me in the middle of the ReDeads in castle town.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

HardDisk posted:

I was pissed when it broke with me in the middle of the ReDeads in castle town.

Just as pointless as in the LP, really, because the fixed camera perspective renders those ReDeads almost completely harmless (if no less terrifying).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Nihilarian posted:

I never use the bombflowers for that. I feel like the extra step of picking up the bombflower would make it even more awkward to aim.
They also have a way longer fuse, so there's that.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
The fire and water were my favorite temple songs. Bolero is just really catchy and I used the water temple teleport a lot, so it grew on me. I don't really remember the others cause I never used them.

One thing I tried when I went back to play the N64 Zeldas a few years back was put some tape on the tv and mark where the arrows went with a sharpie so I'd have a crosshair. Made the shooting galleries so much more tolerable. Still difficult on some, but for the challenge of hitting everything, not being unsure where your arrow will end up.

With all the rock talk, I wonder if the gorons have the same issue with figuring out what everyone else eats. "Ok, having company...they eat meat and plants, right?" Then they're confused when no one wants tree branch and tektite legs.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
The Giant's Knife is not completely useless. It can be used in a pretty difficult fight later in the game. I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but I suspect it is.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Fun little fact about the Bolero of Fire. The style of dance/music it's named after/played in is the same as the original theme song for The Legend of Zelda (don't click the version linked there, it's a terrible version of the piece. Try this instead).

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Zagglezig posted:

With all the rock talk, I wonder if the gorons have the same issue with figuring out what everyone else eats. "Ok, having company...they eat meat and plants, right?" Then they're confused when no one wants tree branch and tektite legs.
Maybe that's why Darunia kept a Deku Stick in one of his jars?

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
He kept the stick in the jar because he's the one who has to start up the giant vase in the morning and it's the only way to carry the fire out of his room.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I do hope ChaosArgate helps Fae explore the crater thoroughly before she enters the temple, because of you-know-what.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I do hope ChaosArgate helps Fae explore the crater thoroughly before she enters the temple, because of you-know-what.

Sent you a PM because I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Yay I'm all caught up! I can finally be a thread friend :neckbeard:

The Bolero of Fire is one of the best music tracks in a game full of ace music tracks. I'm now listening to the orchestral version of Gerudo Valley on repeat and I can't stop myself. I need help :smith:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Sent you a PM because I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about.

I replied. Thinking about it, I might've been mistaken, it might not be accessible yet. Oops.

Cartheon
Jun 1, 2014

Help me, Oppan. You're my only hope.
I'm not sure what it could be. Then again, I barely remember this dungeon and the stuff around it, as it was by far the most boring.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

Yay I'm all caught up! I can finally be a thread friend :neckbeard:

The Bolero of Fire is one of the best music tracks in a game full of ace music tracks. I'm now listening to the orchestral version of Gerudo Valley on repeat and I can't stop myself. I need help :smith:

You're a cool person with good opinions.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Since we're talking Bolero of Fire, let me put this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bshT4Agyd38

I found Taylor Davis about 18 months ago and she does the most badass video game music covers on her violin. I really like this one.

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.

Nihilarian posted:

The Poes you fought in this dungeon are unique and have names: Joelle, Beth, Amy, and Meg.

Fun thing about the Poe sisters: when they go invisible you can make them reappear with deku nuts.

Super-Late Facts™:

I just wanted to mention that they are named after the four sisters from the book Little Women.

Also, regarding Wallmasters and ladders. I think if you get on the ladder before the point where their shadow is as big as it can be, then you'll be safe. Fae was just unfortunate and got on the ladder too late.

The Forest Temple is one of my favorites. As Silver Falcon mentioned, it's neat how it's like an abandoned manor sort of. I don't know why, but I absolutely adore it when dungeons go outside and aren't just surrounded on all sides by walls. The 3DS version of the Forest Temple's courtyards I think emphasizes the outdoors-ness more, which is great. There's a few dungeons from later Zelda games as well that I am :holy: in love with :holy: because they give a glimpse of the outside world, making the dungeon really seem like it's actually a part of that larger world.

And when you were younger and left the forest, Saria said she knew that day would come. She probably figured out you were special and isn't surprised to see you older since she knew that's what was going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

The Lobster posted:

Since we're talking Bolero of Fire, let me put this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bshT4Agyd38

I found Taylor Davis about 18 months ago and she does the most badass video game music covers on her violin. I really like this one.

This is amazing.

• Locked thread