Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
What's better than an old, creaky Remedy system? An old, creaky Remedy system where half your tickets come in, and a newer, slightly less creaky Remedy system (still woefully out of date, mind you) where the other half comes in!

"Wait, is this ticket in Blue Remedy or Yellow Remedy?"

I haven't found the point where the drinking makes the pain stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Dough posted:

I do GIS for a living and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that plotters are worse than printers.

It's a big printer. Bigger printer bigger problems. And yes I hated ours too.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Dudley posted:

I think when sfwarlock hands over his "Current" resume it should include

201x - 2015 - Current Company

Subtle.

Send it to him in raw TeX

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Emails claiming to originate from the IRS with a malicious .doc hit our filter and made it through somehow. At least one user has opened it so far. Probably get to spend the rest of today and tomorrow cleaning this up if more people respond to our corp-wide alert that they already opened it.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Wizard of the Deep posted:

What's better than an old, creaky Remedy system? An old, creaky Remedy system where half your tickets come in, and a newer, slightly less creaky Remedy system (still woefully out of date, mind you) where the other half comes in!

"Wait, is this ticket in Blue Remedy or Yellow Remedy?"

I haven't found the point where the drinking makes the pain stop.

I had to do that at the last MSP I worked at. Never loving again. The most frustrating thing about this was there wasn't really any reason why we couldn't switch over; the system was that the accounts/sales teams would take the calls and log the tickets; but they were trained in the new system for its sales component as well. They asked to be trained in the ticketing side for just an extra 20 minutes but were denied :psyduck:

Meanwhile, we were told to start using the new system immediately because they didn't want to renew our old system's licenses :laffo:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: Oracle Service Cloud Chat
I'm on chat with GoGo's tech support and it disconnects every other second. It's a loving chat program. Why the gently caress wouldn't it just work in TYOOL 2015? I've been on with them for 20 minutes, most of it looking at this:

Oracle Service Cloud Chat posted:

Communication with the Oracle Service Cloud Chat service has been lost. Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.

Disconnection in 240 seconds.

Connection resumed.

I love having a two-second window to paste text written in Notepad into a chat window just to communicate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I know it's probably the wrong thing to do, but I can't help but be pissed off at helpdesk workers when they give me a retarded response to my ticket.

Me: I can't log in to BlackBoard for this course even though classes are starting in less than a week.
Helpdesk: You have to have registered for class first.
Me: (paraphrased) I registered the first day registration was available, you loving moron. Why else would I be emailing support about this?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

psydude posted:

I know it's probably the wrong thing to do, but I can't help but be pissed off at helpdesk workers when they give me a retarded response to my ticket.

Me: I can't log in to BlackBoard for this course even though classes are starting in less than a week.
Me: (paraphrased) I registered the first day registration was available, you loving moron. Why else would I be emailing support about this?

Have you tried restarting you computer?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

MJBuddy posted:

Have you tried restarting you computer?

Please do the needful.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

psydude posted:

Try clearing your cookies. Also please use internet explorer.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

jaegerx posted:

Try clearing your cookies. Also please use internet explorer.

Our applications only support IE8, so please issue a help desk ticket request to downgrade your company's IE9 install.

I'm sorry. The Help Desk ticket request application requires IE10.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

psydude posted:

You've read this thread. Hell, you probably worked helpdesk at some point.

Is that response really that out of the realm of a possible solution?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

psydude posted:

I had a few courses where it wouldn't let you in the course site until when the professor had set it to open. Of course, they had it set to Monday the week classes open since that's when classes begin :doh: and had all the information about what books and packets needed to be purchased.. Listed inside the course information. That you had to be logged in to the course to see. :bang:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

That response is probably the correct one for 9 out of 10 calls that help desk gets. It'd be more retarded to not verify that.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

MJBuddy posted:

Our applications only support IE8, so please issue a help desk ticket request to downgrade your company's IE9 install.

I'm sorry. The Help Desk ticket request application requires IE10.

This right here. Whilst my company was still grinding through upgrading from XP, corporate IT changed the ticketing system to one that only supported IE10 or higher.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Which is why I provided a detailed walkthrough of the steps I'd already taken when I first submitted the ticket.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

psydude posted:

There's a reason that my alma mater switched from Blackboard to their own system. Yes, they decided to switch to an in-house web application for registration
Which was a pain in the rear end the first couple of years when poo poo looked and acted like it was written by undergrads. Which it was. Registration was a pain during couple of years.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
:downs: Hi, helpdesk? Our server crashed and we lost all your data, is there a way to get them back?
:eng101: Well, you are hosting your own database. So you should restore your daily back-up.
:downs: My daily back-up? O yeah that thing, great, I'll go look for it.

5 minutes later...

:downs: Hi helpdesk, we have found our backup!
:eng101: Excellent, here's information how to restore a database !
:downs: No wait, it was located on our crashed server, is there any way to get it back?

:commissar:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Lord Dudeguy posted:

the higher-up who couldn't give a crap if we're pissed off

... just stopped in the office to tell us that:

a.) He still doesn't care.
b.) We should not have made such a big deal over being publicly embarrassed, and next time we should just apologize and make everyone's lives easier.

I think we just got alpha male'd.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Lord Dudeguy posted:

b.) We should not have made such a big deal over being publicly embarrassed, and next time we should just apologize and make everyone's lives easier.

Throwing your own staff under the bus is truly the path to respect and management success. Haters gonna hate, they just don't understand the game.

What a colossal failure of a manager.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Did you tell him that's okay, nobody will ever care how he feels, either?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

psydude posted:

Which is why I provided a detailed walkthrough of the steps I'd already taken when I first submitted the ticket.

I'm not saying it's right, but I basically assume all users are lying to me.

"yeah, I've rebooted three times before calling and it didn't help"

*checks uptime, at 15 days*

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Did you tell him that's okay, nobody will ever care how he feels, either?

That sounds like a comeback that someone thinks up while taking a shower.

"Yeah, that's what I should have said!"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

myron cope posted:

Are you sure you rebooted?

Yes.

Are you absolutely sure you rebooted?

Yes.

Is that your final answer?

Well uh

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

This poo poo is what makes me turn on cruise control and stop giving a poo poo about my job performance. Oh you don't care? Me either haha.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Rhymenoserous posted:

This poo poo is what makes me turn on cruise control and stop giving a poo poo about my job performance. Oh you don't care? Me either haha.

:lol:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
C'mon dude, you know it's true.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

myron cope posted:

He definitely turned the monitor off and back on!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Rhymenoserous posted:

C'mon dude, you know it's true.

Oh no, I agree 100% I just never though of it as cruise control. This is also occurred to me in the past.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Aaaand out the door goes our first staff member. :allears:

Is this Monday? It sure as hell feels like Monday.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Aaaand out the door goes our first staff member. :allears:

Is this Monday? It sure as hell feels like Monday.

In the form of quitting "gently caress this poo poo, I'm going home"

or

In the form of insubordination "Huh, I thought you hired us into a position of trust because you actually trusted our analysis over a vendor who's only concern is reducing their support overhead to squeeze more profit out of their contract?"

Or a combination.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
Honestly, I dunno. No details yet.

Doesn't make me feel any less schadenfreude-y in my mind, though. :getin:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
:yotj: in Holland Michigan!

It's in June though. :negative: But the company looks amazing and the phone interview became awesome after about 30 minutes. The interview was supposed to be for a half hour and I ended up shooting the poo poo with the CEO for over two hours.

Great benefits, same pay as I am making now, 10% cost of living less than Boise. :woop:

edit* I was the first person out of five other people to know what a mmu even was.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 20, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Most of my vendors that I deal with are decent people that aren't too annoying.

Every once in a while, though, the cage to the zoo opens and something like this runs out:

The email itself was about as long as the sig, but full of broken image links to C:\USERS\[thisusername\EMAILS\EMAILBLAST\IMAGE.jpg

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
When I'm Supreme World Leader, I'm going to make email signatures longer than "Name, phone number, address" a punishable offense whereby you have your fingers chopped off at the first knuckle.

The best are "Please consider the environment before printing this email." I only print out those emails.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Gyshall posted:

When I'm Supreme World Leader, I'm going to make email signatures longer than "Name, phone number, address" a punishable offense whereby you have your fingers chopped off at the first knuckle.

The best are "Please consider the environment before printing this email." I only print out those emails.

C'mon, sometimes a job title is necessary. As long as it's not some bullshit silicon valley title. Like "Gamification Guru" or something.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Where am I supposed to put my email address for someone to see though?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
To be honest, sometimes, having an email address in the sig pays off, as someone WAS in the email chain but no longer and thus you only see "Doe, John" and no email address.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ratbert90 posted:

edit* I was the first person out of five other people to know what a mmu even was.

Coooool so you're an astronaut working on the Manned Mobility Unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Coooool so you're an astronaut working on the Manned Mobility Unit?

Hell yeah son, but only dealing with the memory management unit on board. :smith: