Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This time he's even wearing reasonable Muslim clothes, except for that turban. How did that ever become the symbol of Islam in the first place anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Even with a closeup like this, I still can't figure out what's actually going on with Wormbama's jaw.

It attaches to the back of his skull and contains two teeth, both of which are at the front. He does appear to have no neck, though. Maybe his head floats.

Additionally, his ears appear to grow out of the side of his lips.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Wait so the family and their public school kid are living in poverty and their options are protest or send him to private school? If they are in poverty how is private school an option? Is this a pro-charter school comic, am I missing something, or is this thing literally saying:

A. Public school kids are in poverty
B. Send kid to private school
C. No longer in poverty?

I have to be misunderstanding something because no way someone thought up something that stupid. It has to be my interpretation.

I'm pretty sure it's attacking middle class apathy to problems they can just use money to avoid.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

This time he's even wearing reasonable Muslim clothes, except for that turban. How did that ever become the symbol of Islam in the first place anyway?

Pretty sure turbans have a long association with Islam as well, it's not just a Sikh thing. Think of the Ayatollah for instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turban#Islam

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Holy poo poo. Is this real?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

colonel_korn posted:

Pretty sure turbans have a long association with Islam as well, it's not just a Sikh thing. Think of the Ayatollah for instance.

Huh, I thought it was mostly just a Sikh thing.

edit: either way, I see that Obama trying to reach out to Muslims is still considered a fundamentally bad thing in some circles.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 20, 2015

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

Funosaurus posted:

Holy poo poo. Is this real?

Yup, and I found another one!

Nyarai fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 20, 2015

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:homebrew:"Well, that sideswipe wasn't very comfortable but holy poo poo look at all this money I've got now. Thanks Obama!"

quote:

Hm yes, let's demonize a whole group in response to an attack just like we did in WW2, that totally didn't lead to the American Government doing horrible poo poo to its own citizens, no-siree.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 20, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh, I thought it was mostly just a Sikh thing.

edit: either way, I see that Obama trying to reach out to Muslims is still considered a fundamentally bad thing in some circles.

I'm starting to be pretty convinced some groups want a straight up race war.

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Nyarai posted:

Yup, and I found another one!

That doesn't seem as bad. The first one reads like he's blowing off a fan who's concerned about tinsley ignoring MLK day, and then smugly telling the audience about how stupid the black rodent population is.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

I'm starting to be pretty convinced some groups want a straight up race war.

The right just needs to be as honest as Muir's commenters.

quote:

Crusades 2.0 please and thanks

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Pretty sure the Rall is better than the Bors today.

Edit:
As a reluctant yuppie gentrifier who is likely to have children to educate in the next several years in a city with a crumbling public school system, it kinda hits the mark. Rall's goal of making a milquetoast liberal uncomfortable succeeded, as opposed to just flinging poo poo on the wall.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 20, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bors cartoons have felt weirdly apologetic for the quality lately. Like, it makes sense to have a little bit of that meta-humor, especially for his style, but there's been kind of a huge shrug going on in the last three or four.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

And now people on opposite sides of the political spectrum are drawing the exact same cartoon. We've reached a laziness breakthrough.

Obama has been possessed by the ghost of Evil Robin Hood. A Spooky Cartoon.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's unrelated to Islam. It's actually to cover up Voldemort's face.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

That was pretty dumb of Kerry to send Crosby to sing Nash's song.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

That was pretty dumb of Kerry to send Crosby to sing Nash's song.

I'd call it a clever bit of metacommentary on James Taylor singing a Randy Newman song, but it's a 7oden so it's definitely just a gently caress-up.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

colonel_korn posted:

The turban is more of a regional thing these days, not Islamic.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Attending a random photo op would've destroyed Islam, dammit!

I know these hacks probably don't really believe their wingnut spew, and that it's all in the service of pee pee Obama doo doo, but sheesh, could you make the arguments a little less ridiculous?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

You know.. after a bunch of "Allah Akbar" and stinking bearded mindless barbarian depictions I've seen recently.. its oddly nice to see a mostly non-offensive caricature that actually takes the time to spell things right. I think I must have a really low bar.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cpt.Americant posted:

You know.. after a bunch of "Allah Akbar" and stinking bearded mindless barbarian depictions I've seen recently.. its oddly nice to see a mostly non-offensive caricature that actually takes the time to spell things right. I think I must have a really low bar.
Is it spelled right? I always read it as "Ha Salam Hu Aleykhum".

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Pretty sure the Rall is better than the Bors today.

Bicyclops posted:

Bors cartoons have felt weirdly apologetic for the quality lately. Like, it makes sense to have a little bit of that meta-humor, especially for his style, but there's been kind of a huge shrug going on in the last three or four.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The turban is more of a regional thing these days, not Islamic.

Yeah, it's not particularly uncommon in Islam as a whole, but isn't as common in Arab countries, where the Keffiyeh is more common. It wouldn't surprise me if Kenyan Muslims like Obama wore turbans though.

Fake E: Nope, looks like white caps are common among Kenyan Muslims (maybe among Kenyans in general).

Xander77 posted:

Definitely seen it spelled as it is in the cartoon, but its a transliteration, so I'm not sure there's really one "right way" to spell it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, that's what I mean, they're all basically that panel. Must just be a phase he's going through.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Anyway, since I was promised some MLK cartoons and Drunky Ducky failed to deliver, can anybody supply me with some older ones?

In most cases, he deliberately doesn't produce an MLK cartoon and then mocks people for pointing that out by saying that he didn't make a squirrel appreciation day cartoon either.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Charlie Hebdo thing seems to have left Bors in a pretty weird place. I don't really blame him.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Guilty Spork posted:

I can't tell how much is ignorance and how much is lying, but pro-lifers really don't seem to understand that the average abortion happens when the embryo looks like a tiny fish thing, which lacks shock value. They also keep pushing totally debunked nonsense about abortions leading to depression and breast cancer, can't grasp that Planned Parenthood does other things and helps poor people, etc.

I've posted examples of the billboards I've seen in the southern states that show 18 month old babies with anti-abortion slogans. Cooing, cuddly babies murdered by doctors a year after they were born.

"A heartbeat at three weeks!" and, "Daddy, my eye color was chosen at conception!" are also popular.

(Work safe except for abortion pic at end, courtesy of a Truth Truck)
http://gawker.com/5810123/a-gallery-of-weird-anti-abortion-billboards/

Something, something... figs?

The Obama is a Muslim/Manchurian Candidate for Islam count in 2015 is now: 3 :pusheen:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 20, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Post 9-11 User posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIMTA4_YdU

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I mean, it is being translated from another alphabet so there may be variations, but I've always seen it spelled that way. That's the way Wikipedia spells it for what that's worth. And I was more comparing it to all the cartoons that have said "Allah Akbar" because.. you know it has "Allah" in it so it must be how it's spelled.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Post 9-11 User posted:

Does this Burqa make me look Fatwa?
:master:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

A goon in a well cartoon.

No seriously, why is the middle class actively digging deeper.

Because frankly the middle class in America are idiots.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
This is a surprising take from a cartoonist--most of the reactions I've seen to the Charlie Hebdo massacre haven't been nearly as sympathetic to French Muslims.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Gravel Gravy posted:

Wait so the family and their public school kid are living in poverty and their options are protest or send him to private school? If they are in poverty how is private school an option? Is this a pro-charter school comic, am I missing something, or is this thing literally saying:

A. Public school kids are in poverty
B. Send kid to private school
C. No longer in poverty?

I have to be misunderstanding something because no way someone thought up something that stupid. It has to be my interpretation.

I think the argument that he's making is that middle to upper-middle class whites can either fight to improve the failing public school system or just jump ship and send their kids to private school. In essence, the schools are getting worse because the people who could facilitate change are pulling their kids out of them.

I think that this is a bullshit argument because using your kids to make a political point is a total shitbag move. It also assumes that you can't send your kid to a private school while also advocating for improvements to the public school system.

My wife and I both went to public school. We grew up in rural towns and pretty much everyone else we knew had also gone to public school. However by the time we got to our PhD programs fewer and fewer of our friends and colleagues had ever attended public school. It's been pretty obvious to us that a good private school gives you way more opportunity than a public school. We have friends who were working in labs at top universities over the summer while in high school whereas I didn't even know that grad school existed when I was in high school. Add to that, as someone who taught at a big 10 school, I could see a clear difference in preparation between students who went to public vs. private school. When my wife and I have kids we'll probably send them to private school if it's at all possible because we have seen the obvious advantage that comes with that.

At the same time, we're both pretty vocal about changes being needed in the US education system, and we certainly vote for candidates that aren't trying to gently caress over the poor. But I'm not going to send my kids to a lovely school and hope that my being loud about the problems there will change them in time to make a meaningful impact on my kids' education.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Did Biden switch parties on us?

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

What did that elephant do with Joe Biden? They took congress and now they're making a play for the vice presidency? Will Dick Cheney show up behind Obama tonight?

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 20, 2015

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Internet Webguy posted:

What did that elephant do with Joe Biden?

Biden flipped his Trans-Am while driving to the SOTU address and was unable to attend.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

"Why do I always get seated next to the racist caricature?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

rodbeard posted:

The more I see of Charlie Hebdo the more I think terrorists shot up a magazine full of French Ted Rall clones
You're so wrong it hurts.

Mister Beeg posted:

Man, the Charlie Hebdo thing just won't end. That said, here's an interesting article:

You're absolutely right that it won't end. As proof, I provide you with the latest issue of Charlie Hebdo!
You won't have to suffer through my horrible camera pictures this time, because look! It's on issuu. And I found a good version, which I'll translate here. I heard there would be foreign versions, but I have yet to see them.

COVER

Full page caricature of a crying Muhammad holding a "Je suis Charlie" sign. Heading "Everything is forgiven". Some people have seen phallic imagery in his head, but I doubt Luz would have been so imprecise to put hair on the shaft instead of the balls.

Pages 2-3
Most of the pictures are unpublished caroons by the cartoonists who were killed in the attacks. Over and under the central column are pictures of the Charlie Hebdo workers who died.

Page 2, top left: Sister Emmanuelle's [a French Religious Sister who dedicated her life to the poor in Egypt and Turkey] testament book: "Down on Earth, I masturbated" [She confessed to it in a book of hers]. "In paradise, I'll suck cocks!" - by Tignous.
Top right: Yalta in the Vatican. "I'll keep the western sector." "You'll keep the eastern sector." - by Cabu
Center left: Finally- the iPhone 5. "Blasphemy, sacrilege, apostasy". - by Cabu
Center right: random cartoons by Charb
Bottom: "We shouldn't touch the guys from Charlie Hebdo..." "...otherwise those fuckers will be hailed as martyrs and, once in paradise, those fuckers will steal all our virgins!" - by Tignous
Page 3, top left: Divorcees will be allowed to take communion. "My God, please forgive these cock-eaters". - by Cabu
Top right: random cartoons by Charb.
Center left: 100 years of laïcité [secularism] - 1905 law. "No God, no masters!" - by Wolinski
Center right: A violent attack by the Pope against the Roman curia. "Popes from every country, unite!" - by Honoré
Bottom left: What future for our jihadists? "Security guard at Carrefour [a French supermarket chain]?" [They are at the French national unemployment agency]. - by Cabu
Bottom right: What's an islamic cell like? "9 sq.m." - by Tignous
The editorial wonders if there will be any more yes buts, like the last time the newspaper was targeted by a firebomb.

Page 4

Top: The cartoon by Catherine is an illustration for an article about conspiracy theorists who have their own theories about the attacks. "Charlie's coffee-maker never existed" "That bitch is broken again"
Bottom: a reedit of last week's cartoon by Honoré. "Wishes for the New Year - Al-Baghdadi as well". "And above all, good health!" It illustrates the weaknesses in some French antiterrorism practices.

Page 5

Two small columns - one by Sigolène Vinson, the columnist who is normally specialized in justice, about the resident dog at Charlie's offices. The other about death. This week's heretic is Charlie Hebdo, obviously.
Left: Cartoons by Cabu. Top: ERASMUS [a European university exchange program] - "Nothing for Syria? All right, I'll hijack a plane". Middle: "Don't take that! Your luggage will weigh more than the allowed amount!" Bottom: "So you were in 12th grade in the 93 [Seine-Saint-Denis, an area known for its banlieues]? Right! Shitter duty!"
Right: a semi-weekly strip by Riad Sattouf, in which he transcribes scenes from "young people's secret life" he's allegedly witnessed. This one is a dude with a typical North African accent (and hairdo) explaining on the phone that no, shut up, listen, shut up, you just don't kill people.

Page 6

An editorial by the late Bernard Maris, with pictures by the late Honoré.
Left: "The Bank of the Vatican. €6,3 billion. The Pope had thought about closing it. It was under suspicion of laundering Mafia money. But he won't." "- Saint Peter didn't have a bank account, but the Mafia did!"
Center: "Finding 50 billion... The fight against tax evasion should bring in around 18 billion euros in 2014, out of an estimated total of 60 to 80 billion. Most of the money is hidden away in Switzerland". "A Minister of Finance getting a warm welcome".
Right: "In spite of bad results (0,2 percent), Merkel allows for a general increase of salaries". "- It's a Blitzkrieg!"

Page 7

Left, a caricature of Patrick Pelloux, the resident doctor and author of a weekly column, by Charb.
Right: a strip by Coco illustrating the answers given by people to the question "Why are you all millions of "Charlie" marchnig today?" Answers are all positive: "For the freedom of journalists", "I'm a militant for freedom", "Because everyone has a right to freedom", etc.

Pages 8-9

There's a great description and translation of these two pages earlier in the thread, here. I love the one on the left of page 8.

Page 10

Top: "Nigeria. Boko Haram massacres 16 villages." "2000 subscribers Charlie won't have." - by Fools
Bottom left: "Beware sunburns." "Can anybody flip me around?" - by Tignous (this one is great)
Bottom right: "ISIS threatens to mutilate the genitals of four million women between 11 and 46." "- For this matter as well, we shall call upon foreign volunteers..." - by Honoré
The bottom header owns: "Demo: 50 heads of state together in Paris. Charlie, master of the world!"

Page 11

Left: A strip in which the late Elsa Cayat, resident psychiatrist at Charlie Hebdo and author of a weekly column, psychoanalyzes a terrorist who wants to kill Charlie Hebdo. Jokes about Freudian analysis, and when the guy hands her a lovely drawing of his nightmares, she tells him that he has no chance of ever entering the magazine. By Catherine.
Center: A strip about AQIM selling French hostages because François Hollande declared that they would no longer pay ransoms (this did not happen IRL). "I'll take the one in the middle, he'll teach French to the kids." "And I'll take one so he can show me how to perform blowjobs." - by Wolinski.

Page 12

Left: This week's Stouf the Skinhead strip is different from most times, because he directly addresses the reader. It's a hommage to the other weekly strip, the one from page 14 called Maurice and Patapon, "my buddies who regularly showed me their assholes". The strip ends with Maurice and Patapon repeating a popular slogan against the far-right party Front National. - by Luz.
Right: Another homage strip in memory of the dead cartoonists "who drew li'l guys" and kept on drawing li'l guys" "And we're millions of li'l guys in the streets". - by Luz.

Page 13

Center: Art expositions and cultural news by Willem.

Page 14

Left: "We always leave a chance for the bull" - an anti-corrida cartoon by Honoré.
Center: Random doodles by Charb, who usually had a column on this page.
Right: Cartoon by Tignous.
Bottom: Weekly Maurice and Patapon strip. "I told you that it wasn't the President who picked up his dog's turds!" "Look at these retards!" - by Charb

Page 15

More (unpublished ?) cartoons from the cartoonists who died in the attack.
Top left: Pope Francis to François Hollande "The Church's first born [a figure of speech for France] neglects itself" - by Cabu
Top center: "The French are pessimistic." "You don't look pessimistic". - by Tignous
Second row, left: "Happy new year in 2001!" - by Wolinski
Second row, center: "The tank manufacturer Leclerc is merging with its German counterpart KMW" "- What if we went down the Champs Elysées together on July 14th?" - by Honoré
Third row, left: "Pope, where are you? Pope, where are you?" A word play on the lyrics of a popular song, "Papaoutai" by Stromae. - by Cabu
Third row, center: "Ramadan" "I'll have my pussy eaten whenever I want!" The woman is wearing a "Neither whore nor submissive" T-shirt, after the French feminist association "Ni putes ni soumises" - by Tignous (my favorite this week)
Bottom left: "I'll miss you" - by Tignous (I don't get the context for this one, maybe a layoff)
Bottom center: "I'm taking action, and I'll keep on taking action til the end. Hollande (13%)" "Honestly!" - by Honoré
Right: "They don't need us anymore..." "...well, see ya, mom. Just wanted to say hi... The wife sends a kiss..." - by Wolinski

Page 16

The covers you have managed to avoid.
Top left: "In the meantime, in Bangladesh" "We're with you!" - by Catherine
Top second: "Huh, where are the 70 virgins?" "With the Charlie team, morons!" - by Luz
Top third: "One of the murderers worked at waste sorting in Paris" "That's too hard!" The trash bins are labeled "good" and "bad". - by (illegible, sorry)
Top right: "Plantu [a cartoonist for Le Monde] supports Charlie" "I am Charlie, but..." - by Babouse
Second row, left: "After their visit at Charlie, they die at a printer's" "- I'm afraid that might make us look like intellectuals" - by Foolz
Second row, right: "A wave of solidarity for Charlie. Now what?" "What, now?" They are reading celeb and sports magazines. - by Catherine
Center: "Cartoonist at Charlie, that's 25 years of work" "Terrorist, that's 25 seconds of work" - by Riss, wounded in the attack
Third row, left: "Cabu's beaufs react" "Eh, well, finally, I am Charlie!" - by Coco
Third row, right: "Our pencils will always be sharper than your bullets" - by Riss
Bottom left: "Beware! Dangerous newspaper" - by Catherine
Bottom second: "New friends" - by Willem
Bottom third: "Wolinski says thank you!" "I'm having a boner again!" - by Besse
Bottom right: "I'm subscribing!" - by Catherine

Jesus, that took some time.
Next time, I'll probably select only the best cartoons. We'll see.

• Locked thread