Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

MJP posted:

For the record I'm both surprised and not surprised that all of King Missile's songs apparently sound the same.

Closing ticket, expected behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Eldercain posted:

So if you're being evicted, and they aren't going to let you move any of the stuff out, does that mean whatever's left is forfeit to the building owner?

Are you potentially about to have a totally bitchin home setup?

I was going to say, if they're just leaving the stuff there there's absolutely no reason for you not to take it other than the landlord seizing them in an attempt to recoup losses on rent.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Lots of tickets came in over the weekend and printers are dropping like flies lately.

The last 2 weekends the on calls have been getting lit the gently caress up. I guess this is the peak after the valley, because the last 6 months I would get maybe one or two tickets over the weekends and that's it. We also had like 5 printers go down last week.

Hopefully everything's that gonna break already broke by this weekend. I'm on call :(

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Kurieg posted:

I was going to say, if they're just leaving the stuff there there's absolutely no reason for you not to take it other than the landlord seizing them in an attempt to recoup losses on rent.

Which, to be honest, is none of his concern since at that point he's just been laid off in the most passive aggressive way possible.

Consider it a really unusual severance package

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Eldercain posted:

Which, to be honest, is none of his concern since at that point he's just been laid off in the most passive aggressive way possible.

Consider it a really unusual severance package

That's what happened to us when they shut down our Fast Food restaurant with 4 days notice. We suddenly became very generous with our portion sizes and advertising materials started magically disappearing. It's not like they were going to use any of the placards in another store. But when you tell your kitchen staff "Any opened product is going to be wasted anyhow" 17 patty hamburgers just sort of happen.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

One of the guys on help desk just took an epic call. He has the patience of a saint. Dont know how he refrained from killing himself or just rage-quitting. Director of HR is having VPN issues cant get shared drives, outlook is messed up, etc. Gets on the phone and tries to walk her through going to the start menu and clicking on the vpn icon under start, all programs, VPN. Somehow the director manages to restart her computer 3 TIMES trying to find the VPN icon. Finally she gets fed up and hangs up. Walks into the office later loudly declaring that she cant "access the server" sent another tech to go take a look and see what is going on now that she is in house. Should be interesting...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
This job...
I just got a helpdesk call to fix this desk:

It was held together by four lovely screws, but it only took one good screw to break it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So it's your job to fix a loving desk? Eat assholes, jerks.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This job...

It was held together by four lovely screws, but it only took one good screw to break it.

Is repairing furniture something you're trained or qualified to do? If someone puts a computer on there and it breaks and breaks their foot, it's on you.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This job...

Time to crack the puns.
"This is the helpdesk line, not the desk help line."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

GreenNight posted:

So it's your job to fix a loving desk? Eat assholes, jerks.

For a while at my last job, when we were freshly moved to JIRA, I snuck in and changed the ticket status "Resolved: Won't Fix" to "Resolved: gently caress You".

It actually stuck around for a surprising amount of time :allears:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

Closing ticket, expected behavior.

At least that detachable penis dude didn't open a ticket.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Ursine Asylum posted:

For a while at my last job, when we were freshly moved to JIRA, I snuck in and changed the ticket status "Resolved: Won't Fix" to "Resolved: gently caress You".
For me, "No Fault Found" is just as satisfying, particularly when it's someone high up the chain making the ticket.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GreenNight posted:

Eat assholes

I have a feeling that's what broke it in the first place.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is repairing furniture something you're trained or qualified to do? If someone puts a computer on there and it breaks and breaks their foot, it's on you.
It'll support my weight, but I'm pretty sure it won't survive another noon-er. A computer should be fine.
If not, then there's really nothing they can say about it.
To be safe though, I should probably put a blast email out to remind people that these desks were not meant to survive the rigors of office sex, citing the offenders as examples.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

m.hache posted:

Give it a massive tail.

Kind of unrelated but I finally found a use for a large mouse trail after all these years and I felt like a god drat wizard.

Or at least, a use that isn't "be 8 years old and watch in amazement as I move the mouse around for a half hour"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Renegret posted:

Kind of unrelated but I finally found a use for a large mouse trail after all these years and I felt like a god drat wizard.

Or at least, a use that isn't "be 8 years old and watch in amazement as I move the mouse around for a half hour"

Well what is it, man? You can't leave us hanging!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

Well what is it, man? You can't leave us hanging!

We have 6 60" TVs hooked up to a single server that we use for displaying all of the poo poo we need to in the office. We plugged a wireless mouse and keyboard into the server because that proved to be the easiest way to make changes to it.

The mouse sensitivity is set really, really high so it doesn't take a half hour to move the mouse across all 6 TVs, but it also makes it really easy to lose the mouse by accident. If you're standing far back enough from the TVs that you can see them all, you're too far away to actually see the mouse or read the text on the screen.

I had a huge problem with losing the mouse until I turned that tail on.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

We have 6 60" TVs hooked up to a single server that we use for displaying all of the poo poo we need to in the office. We plugged a wireless mouse and keyboard into the server because that proved to be the easiest way to make changes to it.

The mouse sensitivity is set really, really high so it doesn't take a half hour to move the mouse across all 6 TVs, but it also makes it really easy to lose the mouse by accident. If you're standing far back enough from the TVs that you can see them all, you're too far away to actually see the mouse or read the text on the screen.

I had a huge problem with losing the mouse until I turned that tail on.

Isn't there a mouse location tool you can use? Like you hold down CTRL and it gives a radar type look on the screen?

I just checked, it's still in Windows 7 under Pointer Options (Control Panel > Mouse)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

m.hache posted:

Isn't there a mouse location tool you can use? Like you hold down CTRL and it gives a radar type look on the screen?

I just checked, it's still in Windows 7 under Pointer Options (Control Panel > Mouse)

That doesn't really help, because the problem is seeing the mouse in motion. Changing the icon size might help though, not sure if that's still possible.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

m.hache posted:

Yes actually. I was in the mouse settings to enable that when I noticed the mouse tail setting and enabled that as well just to see what it would like. The mouse tail ended up being a lot more useful. Sometimes I had trouble seeing the mouse location thingy as well since it's grey on a white background, and 6 60" TVs is a lot of space to cover with your eyes, especially when you're standing in front of the far left one because that's the one you need to work on.

I keep wondering if there's a better way to have our set up, but I certainly can't think of anything.

Volmarias posted:

That doesn't really help, because the problem is seeing the mouse in motion. Changing the icon size might help though, not sure if that's still possible.

e: That would work too, the biggest obstacle being that I'm not a very smart person and didn't think of that.

Keep in mind that I touch these boards for about 15 minutes once a month, so any irritations as far as using it go are usually something that we're willing to put up with.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Renegret posted:

Yes actually. I was in the mouse settings to enable that when I noticed the mouse tail setting and enabled that as well just to see what it would like. The mouse tail ended up being a lot more useful. Sometimes I had trouble seeing the mouse location thingy as well since it's grey on a white background, and 6 60" TVs is a lot of space to cover with your eyes, especially when you're standing in front of the far left one because that's the one you need to work on.

I keep wondering if there's a better way to have our set up, but I certainly can't think of anything.

replace the TVs with 6 60" touchscreens

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Please do this. Make your VPs happy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Speaking of brain aneurysms, I recently caught up with a friend of mine who got a new job doing phone support for a warranty company that fixes nothing but printers. Everything from enterprise copy machines to home inkjets.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Speaking of brain aneurysms, I recently caught up with a friend of mine who got a new job doing phone support for a warranty company that fixes nothing but printers. Everything from enterprise copy machines to home inkjets.

So that's what Hell looks like.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I bet that dude isn't even sober at work.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have a feeling that's what broke it in the first place.

It'll support my weight, but I'm pretty sure it won't survive another noon-er. A computer should be fine.
If not, then there's really nothing they can say about it.
To be safe though, I should probably put a blast email out to remind people that these desks were not meant to survive the rigors of office sex, citing the offenders as examples.

How do you know this?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call went.. out..

I have to find a Displayport to VGA adapter for a client for first thing tomorrow morning. So this afternoon I get to call around the city to find somewhere that has one of these damned things in stock. Had a fun phone call.

"Hey, do you have a VGA/DIsplayport adapter in stock?"

"no, and you there isn't one."

"Uh there isn't one? I know there is a Star-tech one that should work."

"No it wont. Its an analog to digital signal. You need several hundred dollars of specialized equipment to make that work. We can get the equipment in if you need."

"Uh, ok thanks for your time. "

I know its not as entertaining as the last job, but aside form entrapping Quicksand, its been quiet

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

m.hache posted:

So that's what Hell looks like.

She likes it.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my friend's brain.

e: the truth is, it's her first non-retail job, so I guess even print support beats that. Personally I would go insane though. My computer at home decided it no longer likes my printer and decided that the drivers that were working fine months ago are suddenly not the right ones, even after a reinstall. My response was "well I guess I'm not printing anymore"

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 20, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I fed someone a bit of bullshit today that their printer would probably start working with the scan to network share if the firmware was updated, mainly to buy some time to take a look at the logs. Well they had their maintenance people drop in and flash new software into the device, and it started working :eyepop:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

blackswordca posted:

I have to find a Displayport to VGA adapter for a client for first thing tomorrow morning. So this afternoon I get to call around the city to find somewhere that has one of these damned things in stock. Had a fun phone call.

"No it wont. Its an analog to digital signal. You need several hundred dollars of specialized equipment to make that work. We can get the equipment in if you need."

I know its not as entertaining as the last job, but aside form entrapping Quicksand, its been quiet

If you need full sized display port to VGA you're going to have a hard time finding one about town, but if it's mini display port, if there is an Apple store nearby they should have them in stock, though the price is poo poo compared to online.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Thanks Ants posted:

I fed someone a bit of bullshit today that their printer would probably start working with the scan to network share if the firmware was updated, mainly to buy some time to take a look at the logs. Well they had their maintenance people drop in and flash new software into the device, and it started working :eyepop:

I've found that the solution to "new printer won't do x" is quite oftenly resolved by flash firmware

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

blackswordca posted:

STOP ENTRAPPING ME!

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

quicksand posted:

STOP ENTRAPPING ME!

ITS ALL I HAVE!

Gunjin posted:

If you need full sized display port to VGA you're going to have a hard time finding one about town, but if it's mini display port, if there is an Apple store nearby they should have them in stock, though the price is poo poo compared to online.

Looks like my options are Memory Express. Everywhere else is online only.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

blackswordca posted:

Do they need it right away (Of course they do, what am I thinking)? If not:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=displayport+%3E+vga

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

blackswordca posted:

TIL that VGA to DVI adapters are worth several hundred dollars. And here I'm just using them willy-nilly.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Renegret posted:

She likes it.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my friend's brain.

e: the truth is, it's her first non-retail job, so I guess even print support beats that. Personally I would go insane though. My computer at home decided it no longer likes my printer and decided that the drivers that were working fine months ago are suddenly not the right ones, even after a reinstall. My response was "well I guess I'm not printing anymore"

If you would have told my teenage self I could leave my retail job and do nothing but fix printers all day you wouldn't even finish the sentence before I'd hand management my notice. I mean now it sounds like hell but printers don't scream at you and take active pleasure in degrading you.

Well okay some might...

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

hihifellow posted:

If you would have told my teenage self I could leave my retail job and do nothing but fix printers all day you wouldn't even finish the sentence before I'd hand management my notice. I mean now it sounds like hell but printers don't scream at you and take active pleasure in degrading you.

Well okay some might...

The printers won't, but the frustrated users will!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

hihifellow posted:

I mean now it sounds like hell but printers don't scream at you and take active pleasure in degrading you.

Cannon drivers *drops mic*

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

Cannon drivers *drops mic*

Encore! Encore!

HP Anything!

*Drops mic, smashes guitar*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

TIL that VGA to DVI adapters are worth several hundred dollars. And here I'm just using them willy-nilly.

Don't forget that there are a few different DVI interfaces. DVI-I has some analogue pins that the DVI to VGA adapters use. They won't work on DVI-D connectors.

• Locked thread