Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It must be playoff time, because the team we were against last night had to have almost 20 people dressed. We had 10. :downs:

Team wasn't that overloaded last time we played them.. lots of new faces. Not sure what the thought process was behind bringing in ringers as the league has rules about eligibility to play in the playoffs, they have to be on a submitted roster and played a set amount of games. I guess they just wanted to end the season with a blowout?

Cause they got it, 9-0. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So the hockey director just sent out an email to Bronze league here. He made a spreadsheet of all the teams and averaged their standings for the current season and previous (even though there's like 7 games left in the season). Then he picked the "best" player from the top 8 teams (there are 10 total) and banned them from Bronze for "reasons of parity." One of the quotes from his email was "We looked at player stats from Bronze/Silver B leagues. We did not take stats into consideration." What?

Then he lists one player from the top 8 teams who will be kicked out. Seems like a pretty silly way to try to even up the skill gap between first and last place.

Meanwhile, this guy is allowed to play in Silver B. He scored 3 goals/3 assists last night, 5 goals/3 assists last week and averages 3+ points per game. These are his team's stats:

Parity.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 20, 2015

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pleads posted:

Popped in to Sport Chek to get my skates sharpened and they had the same stick I'd broken on Friday, 30% off. :woop:

Went from a Hall to an Iggy curve which can only lead to success as I clear myself of any and all Oilers references.
I've been using an Iggy curve for years and I love it. I don't take tons of slappers but if I ever do I'm usually playing D and it keeps them nice and low for people to get deflections/tip-ins.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm gonna bug you guys for some more stopping advice if you don't mind.

I'm making progress and gaining confidence but still having issues. When I go to hockey stop, it seems like I'm dragging my back foot and it's shaving before my front foot does anything. I was just out with my dad and he said it looks more like I'm trying to transition from forwards to backwards (a move I'm kinda comfortable with at low speeds) rather than stop. I'm having a hard time letting my front foot lead without just digging weight on to my front foot. Even though I know it's ultimately bad form is it good to practice with both feet close together in order to keep the motion down?

I've also been working on snowplowing. I can do the motion and shave the ice with both skates but I just end up with my feet in a wider stance but still traveling forward. I have a super hard time getting my toes pointed inward. Is that just a flexibility thing that I need to practice off-ice? I haven't really had any success with one footed snow plow stops, I can kinda put my foot in place but when I put it down it just catches and I either start turning or start falling.

Making progress though and getting more confident with forward crossovers, backwards skating, and transitions. Found a great adult skate that's 3x/week from 12:00 - 1:30 so lots more opportunities for practice. I really wish I didn't wait until I was 29 to really learn to skate and play hockey.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

prom candy posted:

I'm making progress and gaining confidence but still having issues. When I go to hockey stop, it seems like I'm dragging my back foot and it's shaving before my front foot does anything. I was just out with my dad and he said it looks more like I'm trying to transition from forwards to backwards (a move I'm kinda comfortable with at low speeds) rather than stop. I'm having a hard time letting my front foot lead without just digging weight on to my front foot. Even though I know it's ultimately bad form is it good to practice with both feet close together in order to keep the motion down?

I've also been working on snowplowing. I can do the motion and shave the ice with both skates but I just end up with my feet in a wider stance but still traveling forward. I have a super hard time getting my toes pointed inward. Is that just a flexibility thing that I need to practice off-ice? I haven't really had any success with one footed snow plow stops, I can kinda put my foot in place but when I put it down it just catches and I either start turning or start falling.

Making progress though and getting more confident with forward crossovers, backwards skating, and transitions. Found a great adult skate that's 3x/week from 12:00 - 1:30 so lots more opportunities for practice. I really wish I didn't wait until I was 29 to really learn to skate and play hockey.

I'm going to give you the advice that I used to figure out hockey stops when I was transitioning from inline: start with the two foot snowplough. When you get comfortable with it, initiate it - so that you are now on the outside edges of both skates and slowing down - and then pick one foot up off the ice so that you're now on just one outside edge. Do that for a bit, and you'll get comfortable just turning right into a normal hockey stop.

Now, if you find that you're not stopping with the two foot wedge/snowplough method, you're either not turning your skates in enough, or not digging in enough (which might be an issue of force applied or the angle between your blade and the ice). I would honestly just spend a session working on that snowplough until you can stop with it (even if your feet slide apart), and then try what I suggested above. That's more or less what I did, and it took two stick/puck sessions to get to a legitimate (if clunky) one foot stop (months later, I'm still working on stopping on the inside edge of my back foot, sigh).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So the hockey director just sent out an email to Bronze league here. He made a spreadsheet of all the teams and averaged their standings for the current season and previous (even though there's like 7 games left in the season). Then he picked the "best" player from the top 8 teams (there are 10 total) and banned them from Bronze for "reasons of parity." One of the quotes from his email was "We looked at player stats from Bronze/Silver B leagues. We did not take stats into consideration." What?

Then he lists one player from the top 8 teams who will be kicked out. Seems like a pretty silly way to try to even up the skill gap between first and last place.

I think he means they didn't take standings into consideration?

This is a really interesting discussion at a league level. 4 years ago our bronze league kicked a team out due basically to one player who shifted the league and games singlehandedly. One of those guys who turns it on on the last shift and puts the puck in the net twice to win the game when for 59 minutes his team has been beaten and he already has their 3 total goals. I liked the guy, he was sociable on the ice and wasn't reckless, I enjoyed the challenge of trying to play against him. Our team did too. None of the captains complained to my knowledge and it was a league director decisions Turns out the whole team left the league and went elsewhere.

Over the next few seasons teams who struggled with attendance added players who were above the league level. This evened out the league and led to regular changes in champions. The league directors came to us in the seasonal meeting and asked what we thought, if they should continue to try to regulate the upper level of player skill in the bronze league.

We unanimously said no. Bronze at this rink is actually the 4th level. There's silver above which is essentially unregulated / player regulated. Anyone can play there so you get a ton of college guys. There's a sizable drop down to bronze and each league below that definitely has their skill levels. But our goal as a league was to get better and narrow the gap between the top league and bronze. I think everyone realized that once you start moving players around it becomes a slippery slope as teams join as a unit and having a player kicked out isn't conducive to the team playing together. And at the bronze level at this league the majority of players have been playing long enough to accept getting beat and adjusting play to minimize a specific players impact.

In the leagues below this the league is pretty strict in keeping parity and only schedules the first 3 games of a season in case a team needs to be moved up or down. Beyond that players that are too good are shuffled around. They've found that as the skill level shrinks the calls for parity (read: complaints) grow louder and taking care of the people newer to the sport is a great way to generate future business from new players.

Not to say skilled leagues are above complaining about petty poo poo or players should be moved up, but I am happy that our league directors take this stance. It takes a lot of work on their end and it is pretty rare to see.

Edit: It should be noted that the team that was kicked out wouldn't win much in this league now, even with the skilled player, so mission accomplished I guess

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 20, 2015

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
One thing that really bothers me at my rink is that the director lets guys play at multiple levels, as there are certain sponsorships that have teams across multiple levels. If you can have an average impact at the highest level, should you really be playing two levels down? The bad part is that he has historically went by stats, so often that doesn't show a guy turning it on at the end, or getting that go ahead go, unless you really dig. He is now watching random games throughout the season to see if he needs to boot anyone, which seems to be working okay.

I think my favorite move last season was kicking out the "best team." This team lost in the finals to the team that most people would consider the best team. Long story short, being a league director would suck.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

I actually learned to stop on one foot first and I still do that pretty often if I'm not in a game situation. It was just a lot easier for me to figure out the pressure on the front foot without the back foot in the picture. I don't remember who suggested this in the first place, some local coach I assume.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Habibi posted:

:words: about stopping

Thanks! I think you're right that I need to learn to snowplow before I'm going to succeed with anything else. At least I can kinda practice point my toes in at home (my legs really do not want to turn that way).

In terms of player skill talk, the new rookie league I just joined has a really interesting rule. Every player in the league is allowed exactly one hat trick per season. After that they can only get two goals per game, and the ref has the discretion to penalize them for trying to score non-goals to slow the game down. This league is super built around brand new players learning the game, but I think it's a pretty novel idea for keeping the top-tier players (who, at this level are probably still super noobs) from driving the games. There was a team in ball hockey (bottom division) that we always had great games against. Really close, hard games, and they were kinda our friendly rivals for a few seasons. Then some new guy started showing up in a jersey from a division above and they blew us out every time. It was frustrating. I don't play at that place any more because they let poo poo like that go on. He was literally wearing a jersey from a B-division team!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

My only issue with stopping is that I am very clearly goofy footed and turning clockwise is difficult to me compared to stopping toward the left. Up until now just about every sport I've done has had a clear dominant side so getting into something that needs near equal treatment with regard to right/left is a lot to overcome. What sucks most of all is that I shoot right despite favoring the left for stopping and skating in general.

Stuff like this blows my mind when I watch NHL hockey now. They are so good at skating and there are so many subtle little things that I never would have noticed before. Things like being on the off wing or receiving bad passes; I wouldn't bat an eye at it before but now I can appreciate the skill it takes to settle a bouncing puck on your backhand without outright tumbling over and blowing the breakout like I tend to do.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Teeter posted:

Stuff like this blows my mind when I watch NHL hockey now. They are so good at skating and there are so many subtle little things that I never would have noticed before. Things like being on the off wing or receiving bad passes; I wouldn't bat an eye at it before but now I can appreciate the skill it takes to settle a bouncing puck on your backhand without outright tumbling over and blowing the breakout like I tend to do.

I've been playing ball hockey since 2009 and my appreciation for NHL hockey really grew when I picked that up, but god drat it's like a different world when you're trying to learn to skate and watching these guys. I was already impressed with everything they were doing with their sticks, now I realize that it's all 3x as hard because they're skating as well. What a great sport.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Teeter posted:

What sucks most of all is that I shoot right despite favoring the left for stopping and skating in general.
Thai is totally fine and normal and how it should be.

e: it's just not always natural for hockey players, since your dominant leg is usually opposite your dominant arm and so many hockeyists shoot from their weak sides; so look at it as being fortunate :)

quote:

This is true for every sport, but in my experience much more the case with 'skill' sports that require using equipment to manipulate the projectile some distance from your body - eg, hockey, tennis and other racquet sports, etc... (let alone requiring special, non-shoe footwear)

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 20, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wait... I'm left handed but I shoot right and I naturally want to stop with my right foot forward. Is that unusual?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

Ironically enough I think that the better you get at hockey the more mind blowing it gets, especially if you get to share ice with pro-level guys. It also makes reading posts about how unbelievably awful (NHL player) is a lot more amusing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a college level player who taught my Thursday clinic for a while, it was really impressive to watch him work. Every once in a while I'd get him along the boards and he'd completely school me (well, and everyone else on the ice).. felt like the kid could read my mind and predict where I was going to attack the puck before I did it. He'd already moving the puck somewhere else by the time I was starting to move. It wasn't like he was moving constantly either, sometimes he'd just freeze the puck and wait for me to attempt a move before doing anything. It's a bit disconcerting to be read that effectively.

I assume most of it is experience, he'd played hockey his whole life, but I've gone against other people who were born on skates who aren't that prescient.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bewbies posted:

Ironically enough I think that the better you get at hockey the more mind blowing it gets, especially if you get to share ice with pro-level guys. It also makes reading posts about how unbelievably awful (NHL player) is a lot more amusing.

It's also pleasantly reassuring to sometimes see them make familiar mistakes! Although of course making them faster and more smoothly than I could ever imagine going.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

prom candy posted:

Wait... I'm left handed but I shoot right and I naturally want to stop with my right foot forward. Is that unusual?

No

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

prom candy posted:

if you want to wear sweatpants at pickup we can be twinsies

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

Not at all - that's exactly what I meant by it not being a natural thing. Your dominant leg typically develops based on which side of the body your dominant hand is on, so when righties pick up a hockey stick and shoot lefty, they're suddenly performing a dominant activity on the same side as their dominant leg, ie, what you're talking about.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

if you want to wear sweatpants at pickup we can be twinsies

I will never wear sweatpants for doing anything besides sitting on a couch.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

xzzy posted:

There was a college level player who taught my Thursday clinic for a while, it was really impressive to watch him work. Every once in a while I'd get him along the boards and he'd completely school me (well, and everyone else on the ice).. felt like the kid could read my mind and predict where I was going to attack the puck before I did it. He'd already moving the puck somewhere else by the time I was starting to move. It wasn't like he was moving constantly either, sometimes he'd just freeze the puck and wait for me to attempt a move before doing anything. It's a bit disconcerting to be read that effectively.

I assume most of it is experience, he'd played hockey his whole life, but I've gone against other people who were born on skates who aren't that prescient.

My high school assistant coach played in the WHL and was drafted by the Caps but never saw ice.

At one point, he was giving our goalie a hard time about hugging the post, saying he was leaving too big a gap. The entire team looked askance at him; it was a hole maybe an inch wide. Goalie tells him, "Coach, no way can a puck fit here, I'm fine." Motherfucker immediately takes a snap shot, the puck somehow spins/flips vertically in midair, and flies into the net.

I really don't doubt much of anything these days.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

and you wonder why i never invite you to skate

(seriously i am trying to find a way to get you to skate with us, my team captain is kinda weird tho)

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

real_scud posted:

I've been using an Iggy curve for years and I love it. I don't take tons of slappers but if I ever do I'm usually playing D and it keeps them nice and low for people to get deflections/tip-ins.

Iginla curve is the worst. It's all about the classic 'barely qualifies as a curve' Modano. Best way to get accurate mid-height slappers in the net.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Is it okay to feel good about a 1-0 loss to the best team in the league?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Our jerseys arrived today, in time for game #4 this weekend.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Vital Signs posted:

Only if you're a masochist.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Won 5-3 tonight against a team I'll be playing again on Sunday. It is going to be a bloodbath. The ref's refused to make any calls, including a goalie hitting me in the throat with his stick and a guy dropping his gloves and wailing on a dude on my team who just turtled because he didn't want to get kicked out of the league. It's a fairly low level league so I was mostly sandbagging on defense, but come Sunday I am prepared to be the biggest rear end in a top hat I have ever been in organized hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vital Signs posted:

They feel better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A3th3r posted:

Iginla curve is the worst. It's all about the classic 'barely qualifies as a curve' Modano. Best way to get accurate mid-height slappers in the net.

P sure the best way to do that is to know how to shoot the puck but idk maybe modano was the pioneer of the accurate mid high clapper

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any Bay Area goons playing CAHA in April? Our team just signed up. Can't wait to get smoked 10-1 x3!!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
What really pissed me off is there were about 3 times where we could have cleaned up garbage in front, but they let the other team get away with a lot of hooking, grabbing, and holding to prevent us from making a play. Also a lot of super quick whistles, where on two occasions the puck was loose and in the net microseconds after the whistle had gone. Also had one of our better players miss an open net, so I blame that guy.

TLDR: It's the refs fault.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any Bay Area goons playing CAHA in April? Our team just signed up. Can't wait to get smoked 10-1 x3!!

What division are y'all in?

I want to try to bring a team up there for intermediate but some of them are already doing a feb tournament so I have a feeling they'll be unable to play.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
So my goalie is playing in a tournament in Thailand this year and I'm trying to decide if I should go or not?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I really want to focus on the center position cause I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. Any good internet resources for different face off tactics?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

What division are y'all in?

I want to try to bring a team up there for intermediate but some of them are already doing a feb tournament so I have a feeling they'll be unable to play.

We're in the lowest, Novice. The naming convention is pretty confusing though, because there's also a Beginner league. But Beginner is one level UP from Novice. We're registered as Mutiny.

But in reality, Novice is a legit Silver A/low Gold B level of play at our rink. It's absolutely insane how much teams sandbag the poo poo out of this one. There's 2 teams we've played all 3 years we've went, and all 3 times they both wiped the floor with us by double-digit goals. Novice is supposed to be for <5 years experience, but you could tell all these fuckers played college together or something. One of the teams from Oakland completely jacked our logo one of the years and came back next year with brand new jerseys with our logo on them. That made for a really confusing game.

Our local women's team, Pandora, is signed up as well. My gf is playing this one. We always check each other's games out, but they're usually a pretty legit team and actually have a chance at winning some games. It's always been a great time despite getting annihilated. Watching the upper division games is fun as hell though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nitramster posted:

So I really want to focus on the center position cause I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. Any good internet resources for different face off tactics?

I've never seen a good internet link, but I've asked a few coaches and they'll wear your ears off talking about it if you let them. I don't know what resources you have available but that might be a good first start.

After a game last month we even had a ref take one of our centers aside and give him a 10 minute tutorial to try and help him out. Granted he had the best seat in the house for spotting errors but it's still funny to me he spontaneously took the time to lay down some knowledge.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Nitramster posted:

I haven't really found anything. I just started playing center a few years ago and had trouble picking up the skill despite playing hockey practically all my life. I just started taking cues from how other centers were beating me. And cheating. Basically moving like the faceoff is happening even before the ref moves. I've gotten a lot better and rarely get thrown out of the circle, which I didn't think a mens league ref would even do but it has happened to me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

D C posted:

So my goalie is playing in a tournament in Thailand this year and I'm trying to decide if I should go or not?

yes, do that. then let me know when they go play in the dubai tournament.

edit: wait isn't that tournament +35?

DC don't you have this blue visor? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oakley-VR82...=item4ae3a1769f

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 22, 2015

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Nitramster posted:

I just started playing center this season and I was the first to admit I had no idea what I was doing. I've taken the occasional faceoff but positioning was hard to get used to coming from a winger. I just try to be in front of the net and center of the ice at all times. I play much more defensively as a center than a winger. Wings tend to sit on the boards where as a center has a lot of freedom to roam around. Defensively I just pick up whoever is trying to come up the slot before they can get a shot/pass off. Offensively I float around the middle of the offensive zone, primarily in front of the net.

For faceoffs, go in with a plan before you take it. Decide who you are trying to get it to and possibly let them know it. Get low, grip your stick low if you want to power through on the backhand. Use your feet if you decide to tie up the stick. If you're in your zone on a PK or need defensive play (defending a lead with little time left) think about clearing it right off the faceoff. If you're in their zone, consider shooting it from the faceoff. You can tap the puck through their legs and start into their zone. You can lift their stick and kick the puck away. You can turn your body between them and the puck and kick it away.

http://howtohockey.com/the-role-of-a-centerman-in-hockey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwKIZfh8s6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3A88zsRuVs

Verman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This owns and if it wasn't $100 (or was Tron instead), I'd think about it.