Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

QuoProQuid posted:

I just installed Ways of Life and both Karling brothers picked up the seduction focus. There is an absurd number of Karlings.

You know what you must do. :esse:
EDIT
We got rid of Esse? drat, bro. That's rough.

:megadeath:

I guess this works for exterminating an entire family.

Can you re-arrange your own vassals with the transfer vassalage button? I seized another kingdom as a tribe, and I'm OK with losing it to Gavelkind, but I want to lose a next door neighbor, not a doughnut that intersects the doughnut of my other kingdom.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI
So I was raiding Constantinople, as one does, and on the way back i noticed my dungeon was unusually full. Turns out I had picked up no less than 25 prisoners from the ecumenical patriarch. Investigating further, I discovered that he had, no kidding, 420 people in his court. What the hell is going on.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT

Can you re-arrange your own vassals with the transfer vassalage button? I seized another kingdom as a tribe, and I'm OK with losing it to Gavelkind, but I want to lose a next door neighbor, not a doughnut that intersects the doughnut of my other kingdom.

It's ese :ese: :eng101:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT

:ese:

e:f,b

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Though honestly a CK2 themed stabby smiley is long overdue.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Though honestly a CK2 themed stabby smiley is long overdue.

:hist101: + :ese: ?

it is a start date creep joke

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

TITY BOI posted:

So I was raiding Constantinople, as one does, and on the way back i noticed my dungeon was unusually full. Turns out I had picked up no less than 25 prisoners from the ecumenical patriarch. Investigating further, I discovered that he had, no kidding, 420 people in his court. What the hell is going on.

How is the rest of the ByzEmp doing? They could be refugees from the Muslims pushing into Anatolia and Greece. Or, if there are converts to the North that get re-conquered by the other pagans (a disturbingly likely thing to happen because the AI is terrible at converting from tribal to feudal) they could coming from there too.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is there a good guide/series on how to use marriages to inherit/gain territory?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Veryslightlymad posted:

EDIT

I'm a little conflicted because on one hand, failing to act now will cause Karlings to appear in every court west of the Tigris-Euphrates. On the other hand, I suspect that leaving the Karlings alone will create a web of claims and counterclaims so volatile that Europe will collapse into a generation long bloodbath.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Svithjod just conquered most of West Francia. West Francia is now mostly the Netherlands. East Francia is around, somewhere, but I can't seem to find the, I saw an East Francian revolt, maybe that took up the entire country? Middle Francia is doing something in roughly the middle of everything, but when the initial revolt that split all the Francias up happened they made the independent realm and culture maps extraordinarily ugly (because West Francia was French and Middle Francia was Frankish) so I hope they get conquered by somebody. The Buddhists are pushing out of Afghanistan and up into the steppes. Culture splitting in Iberia started, but there are almost no rulers of these melting pot cultures to help things out. Visigoths and Berbers everywhere. I'm doing pretty well in driving the Saxons from the British Isles. Things are looking good (except for France).

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I just got the option to change my culture from Norse to Norwegian in my current game. Is that a good idea? I've already created the Scandivian Empire so all it seems to going to do is to make all my vassals hate me due to cultural difference.

Exigent
Jan 2, 2015

Have had this game for a while, going to finally start a game though. I'll follow the OP and start in Ireland.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

pedro0930 posted:

I just got the option to change my culture from Norse to Norwegian in my current game. Is that a good idea? I've already created the Scandivian Empire so all it seems to going to do is to make all my vassals hate me due to cultural difference.
Well, the AI will be doing it themselves, unless you've got a big unified Scandinavian empire, which I guess you have, so no, don't culture-convert.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The worst part of this game is getting incapacitated or dying when you don't have an adult heir.

With a Regent in charge, you lose a ton of options, and the AI tends to do stupid things like supporting hostile factions. I just won a huge war against England to secure the last county of Wales, and then my Regent (who has a 100% opinion of my 15-year-old ruler) decided to support a movement to lower crown authority.

I wish there were an option to control the Regent directly, rather than not being able to play the game the way you want.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Exigent posted:

Have had this game for a while, going to finally start a game though. I'll follow the OP and start in Ireland.

Just make sure you pick the half of Ireland that's allied with eachother in the new start. It's really easy, especially when you can even inherit a county off the bat with a little help from :ese:, otherwise you can probably get wrecked.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

the creator of VIET compares his cock events to Shakespeare

quote:

Although VIET isn't always quite as humorous as I make it out to be, the humor is, in my opinion, an important aspect in making the game historical and immersive for me. That is, I believe that not being stone-faced serious and epic humanizes things, and shows people the mundanity and silliness our ancestors dealt with on a day to day basis. Cock puns would probably be quite familiar to lots of people back then, and I dare say they'd probably laugh at how tame our media can be; I mean Shakespeare liberally stuffed so many penis and vagina puns and slang in his plays (that most people don't catch nowadays since we don't speak Elizabethan-era English, of course) it's just unbelievable - he certainly wouldn't have gotten away with it if he was a modern-day writer; when I learned this it really turned Shakespeare from some stuffy, intellectual stuff to the plain silliness and fun it must've been to audiences back then.

Still, to each their own; I'm not saying you have to like it of course, as there are other things I wouldn't like to see in my game that I'm sure you would like to see, but I do want to say that it's not like I haven't thought about whether these events fit what I like in the game.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 20, 2015

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Why am I able to declare war on the Petty King of Austergautland or whatever when his son is betrothed to my daughter? When I mouse over the "Declare War" tooltip, it has "No betrothals to close relatives" as green, even though there obviously is one. Does it not count when both members of the betrothal are minors or something?

It wouldn't bother me, except that means he can presumably declare war on me, and keeping him from doing that was the whole reason for the betrothal.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If I have a vassal pope and the Papacy has medium crown authority, I have to basically block foreign cardinals from the Papal seat to keep it, right? Also if I lose a Papal election would that make the Pope a foreign vassal or would the Pope just become independent again?

I noticed that as long as I kill any foreign Preferatus the vassal inheritance warning goes away, so I'm assuming as long as I keep doing that and stacking the College I'll keep control of it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting a bunch of cash and effort on it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Under Tanistry, who gets my demense when I die? It is the Tanist, or my blood heir? Trying to avoid another situation like my Spanish Elective where the capital kept ping-ponging around every time there was a succession.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Under Tanistry, who gets my demense when I die? It is the Tanist, or my blood heir? Trying to avoid another situation like my Spanish Elective where the capital kept ping-ponging around every time there was a succession.

Wouldn't it be the Tanist? Isn't it just elective but within your dynasty?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
You can mouse over your county title icons and it will tell you the order of succession. Wouldn't surprise me if the tanist only gets the duchy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TITY BOI posted:

420 Drynke Mead Every Daye.

Pushing towards 1300 in my Haesteinn game. There are still nine Karlings left, down from twelve 50 years ago. I kind of hope they make it to 1453.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I hosed something up and I need to console out, but I keep getting UNKNOWN COMMAND fired back at me. What's the correct syntax for taking a title?

neither 'give_title count_of_devon 603614' nor 'give_title county_of_devon 603614' seem to be working.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I hosed something up and I need to console out, but I keep getting UNKNOWN COMMAND fired back at me. What's the correct syntax for taking a title?

neither 'give_title count_of_devon 603614' nor 'give_title county_of_devon 603614' seem to be working.

c_devon

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks. That worked. Won Aquitaine in a crusade, gave it to a son, forgot he also owned Devon.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Does anyone know how to deal with a bug where, on the resign screen, it only shows my current ruler instead of scrolling through all of them? It's not gamebreaking but I did like seeing every character I've played displayed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

cisco privilege posted:

If I have a vassal pope and the Papacy has medium crown authority, I have to basically block foreign cardinals from the Papal seat to keep it, right? Also if I lose a Papal election would that make the Pope a foreign vassal or would the Pope just become independent again?

I noticed that as long as I kill any foreign Preferatus the vassal inheritance warning goes away, so I'm assuming as long as I keep doing that and stacking the College I'll keep control of it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting a bunch of cash and effort on it.

Don't take my word as gospel but I'm pretty sure once you vassalize the Papacy it stays vassalized unless someone frees it from your grasp via warfare, regardless of the nationality of the next Pope.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't take my word as gospel but I'm pretty sure once you vassalize the Papacy it stays vassalized unless someone frees it from your grasp via warfare, regardless of the nationality of the next Pope.
Take mine as gospel, I've done it and that happens. It'll always pop up the vassal inheritance warning if the current Preferatus isn't your vassal, but you can ignore it. You keep the Papacy.

I'm looking to get back into the game, can someone run down real quick what Charlemagne did to make seasons matter for warfare? I googled around and all I saw was that attrition gets boosted in winter; is that it or are there reasons not to attack during winter too?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's just attrition, but be aware the attrition is extreme in Normal Winter, and gods help you if it's Severe Winter. It makes sieges a serious pain in the rear end.

There's also a Winter Soldier trait that significantly lessens the effect and is pretty drat desirable if you're playing in Scandinavia.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I have this kinda weird bug where my neighbours have their levies raised and are hostile against me even though we're not at war, raiders who raid my neighbours are also shown as hostile.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Lord Tywin posted:

I have this kinda weird bug where my neighbours have their levies raised and are hostile against me even though we're not at war, raiders who raid my neighbours are also shown as hostile.

That happens occasionally, a save-quit-and-restart will usually fix it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

CapnAndy posted:

Take mine as gospel, I've done it and that happens. It'll always pop up the vassal inheritance warning if the current Preferatus isn't your vassal, but you can ignore it. You keep the Papacy.
Awesome, that's good to know that I don't need to keep throwing money at elections. I'll probably keep :ese::catholic: until I have the college filled then leave it alone.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

UrbicaMortis posted:

Does anyone know how to deal with a bug where, on the resign screen, it only shows my current ruler instead of scrolling through all of them? It's not gamebreaking but I did like seeing every character I've played displayed.

Did you ever reload as a different dynasty? It'll only show the current dynasty at the game over screen.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's just attrition, but be aware the attrition is extreme in Normal Winter, and gods help you if it's Severe Winter. It makes sieges a serious pain in the rear end.

There's also a Winter Soldier trait that significantly lessens the effect and is pretty drat desirable if you're playing in Scandinavia.

Does the map reflect the seasons like EU4 now?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

SkySteak posted:

Is there a good guide/series on how to use marriages to inherit/gain territory?

If you have the time or the inclination the ever popular Arumba did a bunch of videos called "Dynastic Dominance" where he focuses on just that, among other ways of gaining territory via dynastic claims!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWD3R_emY1D7vo5F3IS_lfR_

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

UrbicaMortis posted:

I've noticed this can happen if you only created the highest level title during that ruler's lifetime. I'll create the kingdom of whatever, and later on get bored and resign. It'll only show rulers back to the first king, and not any of the dukes/counts before him.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I started the game in 769 as the Strategos of Trebizond and 35 years later I get elected emperor by sheer luck and timing. The empire of Francia also got inherited by a member of my dynasty (no idea how that happened) and after I reconquered Jerusalem the Orthodox holy order popped up only to be vassalized by the French emperor before I get the chance to do anything... :(

Is there any way to steal the Holy Order away from him?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kly posted:

Does the map reflect the seasons like EU4 now?

It does in the default (terrain) map mode, yes.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

One of the Pope's barons in Rome has set up an Antipope. Since I can't declare war on the Pope to depose the Antipope, do I have to get stabby if I want to pull Catholicism's moral authority out of the shitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

Awesome, that's good to know that I don't need to keep throwing money at elections. I'll probably keep :ese::catholic: until I have the college filled then leave it alone.

don't bother stabbing any cardinals, vassal popes will never refuse your request under any circumstance or excommunicate you at anyone's behest. Their opinion of you in entirely meaningless besides making them throw their pitiful levies behind whichever Independence faction is currently brewing.

Spakstik posted:

One of the Pope's barons in Rome has set up an Antipope. Since I can't declare war on the Pope to depose the Antipope, do I have to get stabby if I want to pull Catholicism's moral authority out of the shitter?

e: haha, a Papal anti-Pope. This game :allears:

e:e: wait, you mean The Papacy has enacted FREE INVESTITURE?

• Locked thread