Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RatHat posted:

Are Japanese books longer than English ones or does Jorge Joestar really rival the Harry potter books in page length?

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Darko posted:

"oh yeah Star Platinum could always stop time, he just didn't figure that poo poo out yet."

I always thought this was just SP being so quick and precise it allowed Jotaro to "see" the exact moment Dio stopped time and react accordingly. To me it was just SP ability at its apex (and in later arcs it gets just apex-er because reasons :v:)

Though canon reason why Jotaro won was he got really mad.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

RatHat posted:

Are Japanese books longer than English ones or does Jorge Joestar really rival the Harry potter books in page length?

They're actually shorter, since Japanese is a more compact language to write out. The first Harry Potter is about 150 pages in Japan, and about 220-300 pages depending on edition in English (thanks Wikipedia!). So yeah, gently caress Harry Potter, Jorge Joestar is basically the War and Peace of official unofficial fanfiction.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I hope at least 350 of the pages are dedicated to Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Kars and Killer Queen's hijinks on Mars.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Would the kars all be different looking because of art style changes between universe?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Darko posted:

You will talk about part 5, dammit!

Okay :(

Darko posted:

No, the comparison is part 3 where they were taking forever to figure out Dio's power, and they finally did, but still couldn't really beat him, and then it was all like "oh yeah Star Platinum could always stop time, he just didn't figure that poo poo out yet."

Part 5 was very similar to part 3 in progression, including the end and the unseen villain. At the very end, they started figuring out how King Crimson worked, and started kinnnnd of trying to work around it to the point where you figured they could beat it, then there was a weird interlude with some upgrades, but it still ended with, "oh, I just happen to have the power that can cancel this out."

Part 5 is basically a longer, more ridiculous part 3. It was basically Araki doing a do-over where he realized he wanted to go crazier with stands from the start.

Nah, I don't think so. I was comparing the fact that both Part 5 and Part 7 had the protagonist gain an extremely powerful ability while fighting the big bad, which happened to be perfectly suited to counter his abilities. The big difference is that Johnny actually had a justification for his power...

Also, the inexplicable Tiem Stop ability of Star Platinum sucks, too. :colbert: I'm just not that disappointed by it, because it wasn't an I WIN button. Rather, the whole fight turned into insane mind games and was still awesome, steamrollers and all. Seriously, I wouldn't complain half as much if Gold Experience Requiem had actually given us a sweet battle. Or any kind of suspense, really. Even the fight vs. Valentine didn't stop being suspenseful when Valentine was, by his own words, completely defeated. Instead it's, oh hey I got the arrow, now we can actually fight King Crimson - oh, whoops, Giorno won and he doesn't even know why, guess we're done here. Might as well make Diavolo slip on a banana peel and hit his head.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

hoobajoo posted:

They're actually shorter, since Japanese is a more compact language to write out. The first Harry Potter is about 150 pages in Japan, and about 220-300 pages depending on edition in English (thanks Wikipedia!). So yeah, gently caress Harry Potter, Jorge Joestar is basically the War and Peace of official unofficial fanfiction.

Okay but the last one is 784 pages in English (US) and 1136 pages in Japanese.
(and because I have nothing better to do, War and Peace is 1405 pages in Japanese)

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
People say "deus ex machina, Giorno just got lucky and got a power that perfectly countered King Crimson" but I don't think that's really the case. I get the feeling if Polnareff could properly control Silver Chariot Requiem, he could have beaten Diavolo just as easily. Same for any requiem stand. I won't disagree that it kind of makes for an unsatisfying fight (although it is satisfying to see Diavolo be completely crushed and humiliated, at least), but it was already established that requiem stands are on a completely different level than regular stands.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

And they -were- figuring out how to counter Diavolo's Stand before he Requiem-ed it. I don't really count anything after the arrow as the fight against his Stand from that point - it's basically, "the fight against Diavolo," then, "weirdness."

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I'm so annoyed that I will never get to experience Jorge Joestar in its full glory :(

This post is the best though.

hoobajoo posted:

So yeah, gently caress Harry Potter, Jorge Joestar is basically the War and Peace of official unofficial fanfiction.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

jyrque posted:

I always thought this was just SP being so quick and precise it allowed Jotaro to "see" the exact moment Dio stopped time and react accordingly. To me it was just SP ability at its apex (and in later arcs it gets just apex-er because reasons :v:)

Though canon reason why Jotaro won was he got really mad.

Do you not think Star Platinum can stop time? What?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Obviously Star Platinum's real power was the ability to edit the script of Stardust Crusaders at will so that he got whatever powers he needed to progress the plot.

I'm only half joking.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

People say "deus ex machina, Giorno just got lucky and got a power that perfectly countered King Crimson" but I don't think that's really the case. I get the feeling if Polnareff could properly control Silver Chariot Requiem, he could have beaten Diavolo just as easily. Same for any requiem stand. I won't disagree that it kind of makes for an unsatisfying fight (although it is satisfying to see Diavolo be completely crushed and humiliated, at least), but it was already established that requiem stands are on a completely different level than regular stands.

Fair enough! I guess it was unavoidable that Giorno would win with a Requiem stand, given what we've seen of Silver Chariot Requiem. Still seems awfully lucky to me how it was a Stand that automatically protected Giorno from being instantly killed. Hell, it probably makes more sense than Jotaro's Time Stop. But it's still so unbelievably... lame. All that time spent figuring out King Crimson's ability, all the little countermeasures, and NOPE, no payoff. At least, it didn't feel like one for me. With Chariot Requiem's power grabbag chaos and the weirdly pointless epilogue, I was just let down, that's all.

But then again, the ending of Stone Ocean is my favorite right behind Diamond is Unbreakable, sooooooooo

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

HitTheTargets posted:

I think he's trying to imply that Star Platinum's ability to stop time is a natural extension of its incredible speed and precision.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Silver Chariot Requiem has one power, manipulating spirits. How is that a grabbag?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

HitTheTargets posted:

Of course I do think SP's ultimate power is time stop, but I also think Jotaro being able to stop time is not as much an asspull as some have mentioned. It's something that Araki might've come up with by taking someone who's special power is to be really, really fast, precise and strong to an extreme limit. If someone theoretically could move and act instantenously then to a random eye that would seem as if they were mysteriously teleporting themselves' and stuff around, like how Dio's power was first shown to readers. Dio had the ultimate stand power of seemingly stopping time and Jotaro just had to get mad enough / enough plot convenience to reach the same level.

But really, Araki isn't very consistent in his stand rules. Dio was inexplicably shown using Hermit Purple early in the series and Jotaro used STAH FINGAH to win one single fight and never use that technique again. It's as if Araki just came up with this stuff while drawing his weekly comic for ten-year-olds! :monocle:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jyrque posted:

Jotaro used STAH FINGAH to win one single fight and never use that technique again. It's as if Araki just came up with this stuff while drawing his weekly comic for ten-year-olds! :monocle:

Nope Jotaro used it to win two fights.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybe Star Platinum can only use star finger near the ocean.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe you're thinking of Star Platinum inhaling Justice (despite Enya wanting to get her stand inside people's bodies so she can control them) which happens just the once.

Although, I wouldn't mind reading an alternate DIO's World where SP just sort of sucked in The World and DIO just suffocated and died for laughs.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Star Platinum inhaling Justice (despite Enya wanting to get her stand inside people's bodies so she can control them) which happens just the once.

Although, I wouldn't mind reading an alternate DIO's World where SP just sort of sucked in The World and DIO just suffocated and died for laughs.

Justice got sucked inside a Stand, not a body, totally different. :colbert:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's already an explanation for Star Finger within Part 3, in the Lovers fight and more generally with Hierophant Green.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Effectronica posted:

There's already an explanation for Star Finger within Part 3, in the Lovers fight and more generally with Hierophant Green.

It's still bullshit though considering its never brought up again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Effectronica posted:

How so?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stands are just psychic energy, so you can change their physical aspects by thinking about it (e.g. shrinking against The Lovers).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Which is never brought up again. Now that you've brought it up, I just thought about Okuyasu's brother making his stand normal-sized so his stand is suddenly a militia force.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Stand Users can reshape their Stands at will, but it takes energy for them to do so. So, for example, Bad Company would be useless if it was pumped up to human size because all the energy would be maintaining its form and nothing for shooting or punching. Hierophant Green being able to stretch itself out is an extension of this that Kakyoin can use with ease.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Please stop doing damage control for asspulls that happened literally 23 years ago.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Million Ghosts posted:

You think Harry Potter are long books?

The later ones were consistently 700+ pages, so yes.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

RatHat....

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jyrque posted:

Of course I do think SP's ultimate power is time stop, but I also think Jotaro being able to stop time is not as much an asspull as some have mentioned. It's something that Araki might've come up with by taking someone who's special power is to be really, really fast, precise and strong to an extreme limit. If someone theoretically could move and act instantenously then to a random eye that would seem as if they were mysteriously teleporting themselves' and stuff around, like how Dio's power was first shown to readers. Dio had the ultimate stand power of seemingly stopping time and Jotaro just had to get mad enough / enough plot convenience to reach the same level.

But really, Araki isn't very consistent in his stand rules. Dio was inexplicably shown using Hermit Purple early in the series and Jotaro used STAH FINGAH to win one single fight and never use that technique again. It's as if Araki just came up with this stuff while drawing his weekly comic for ten-year-olds! :monocle:
He used it twice! Twice, I tell you!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure that heirophant green being able to uncoil itself is just a power of the stand itself and not evidence of some 'thing' that all stand users can do if they believe in themselves enough despite how well that would fit in anime. the lovers fight was already odd enough.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Please stop doing damage control for asspulls that happened literally 23 years ago.

It's one of the asspulls that makes intuitive sense apart from Araki not using it. You can't say that for both kinds of alien or Mrs. Robinson.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

RatHat posted:

The later ones were consistently 700+ pages, so yes.

To explain why everyone else is mocking you: the Harry Potter books are written in a really huge font and have extra thick line breaks in them. If they were formatted like a normal book, with Times New Roman 10 or 11 or whatever and single line breaks, they'd be like half as long.

This is why you judge length through word count, not pages.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

To explain why everyone else is mocking you: the Harry Potter books are written in a really huge font and have extra thick line breaks in them. If they were formatted like a normal book, with Times New Roman 10 or 11 or whatever and single line breaks, they'd be like half as long.

This is why you judge length through word count, not pages.

Ah, I see. I guess I'm an idiot then.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Words are winds

Stoph
Mar 19, 2006

Give a hug - save a life.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

quote:

Actually you are wrong, and so is Araki, that is not just like Jesus. You see, the world's perception of Christianity is largely influenced by false doctrine and heresy, such as that good people go to heaven and you have to do lots of good works and keep commandments to go to heaven, and that's not what the New Testament says at all. The King James Bible teaches, like in John 3:16 for example, that WHOEVER BELIEVES is saved and receives eternal life. Ephesians also calls it the Free Gift of God, eternal life through the Lord Jesus Christ. The whole concept of the Gospel is that Jesus, who was God manifest in the flesh died for the sins of the entire world, that means he died for every person even sinners according to "the good news", and that he rose from the dead, and has power to raise us too and give us eternal life by grace through faith. That means it's a free gift you don't work for to get, or be good to keep, but you believe the promise and receive eternal life and pardon of all sin for free. Don't feel bad though, over 99% of Japan is non christian, and much less of them even have a clue what the bible says at all, so it's no surprise that Araki would depict the Jesus that makes you shoot yourself in the head and what not, that is not Jesus Christ. 

Excuse me for sounding like I'm preaching, but it's really disheartening when I see people condemn Jesus Christ like he is a liar. The Gospel is the power of God to forgive freely everyone that believes on The Son of God, and gives them eternal life in a place called heaven. Most people get bent out of shape about the eternity in hell part for unbelievers. The grace of God is powerful for those that submit to Christ's righteousness, believing on him. For example, if Dio Brando believed the Gospel that'd mean he is alive forever in heaven, and if Jonathan didn't believe in Jesus Christ, then he'd be in hell forever. It doesn't matter how good or bad they were in life, the forgiveness of sin, according to the bible only comes through Jesus Christ, as he said no man comes to the Father except by him. It may sound backwards, but if there was a God that created us, it only makes sense he has the power to keep us alive by our faith in him, not according to the works we do here, so even poor and despised people can seek forgiveness of The Lord, when the rest of the world rejects them.

You are right though in the 10 commandments it says God curses families for generations, but though you technically inherit the sins of your fathers, you are not imputed with those sins, everyone is responsible for their own life. It's obvious some are lucky and born into nice families, but regardless of who you are and where you are from God will accept you if you believe The Gospel of Christ, and then technically you get "Born Again" into the family of God, as a child of God when you receive eternal life, immediately when you believe on Christ, so then you become part of a family that lives in heaven, and every man and woman that's ever been saved becomes your brother and sister. It seems that the being born again theme is also referenced with Josuke being born out of the earth, in the same was Adam was created in Genesis, and also the "Born This Way" part when Nijimura explains how Josuke was born again as a different person. So if you don't like your life here and want out, Jesus can birth you into the richest family in all of existence, talk about family prosperity... if the Higashikatas want to live long and have prosperity, maybe they should give the Gospel of Christ as detailed in the King James Bible another look?

:stare:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sauce?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Jack Chick's Evangelical Adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jesus was a Jojo, actually.

Joshua bar Joseph.

His Stand was Sister Christian.

• Locked thread