Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

http://www.biblezach.club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I want to say the underwater chinese ghost base is actually the apex of 'this is loving stupid, David Cage you are stupid' but I actually forgot if the native poo poo happened before or after it.

Just watch it all, you'll be constantly surprised by how many stupid ideas David Cage can push into one game.

David Cage: Just pushin rope.

Chinese Ghost base is just solid proof that he fell back on to the poo poo he had in Indigo Prophecy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Compendium posted:

Chinese Ghost base is just solid proof that he fell back on to the poo poo he had in Indigo Prophecy.

He barely avoided Indigo Prophecy-ing Heavy Rain and even then the removal of paranormal bullshit left a gaping plot hole.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I feel sorry for David Cage's development team, really. There's some really talented artists and animators at Quantic Dream, and some pretty impressive graphics programming tricks present in his games, but they're all stuck executing on a script and design document by David Cage.

If they managed to get an actual, non-game writer (or failing that, someone who can adapt an existing novel without choking on their own fists), they could make a game that I still wouldn't be interested in playing, but would actually be worth the widespread critical acclaim Cage's games inexplicably attract.

...but that'd result in less funny LPs, so let's keep the Sadness Train going. :q:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQAt4nkqWy8
Site:http://superbestfriendsplay.com/video/two-best-friends-play-silent-hill-2-part-5/
SH2 Part 5 is up!
http://superbestfriendsplay.com/podcast/sbfc-076-pats-coffin-filled-human-fecal-matter/
Friendcast is up too!

KaosMachina fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 20, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

just thinking about 3rd birthday's dumb loving simultaneously thin and confusing plot makes me exceedingly angry

I feel this is something really important to mention, but the guy who wrote 3rd Birthday's plot?
Lightning's creator. Yep. Guy just has to leave his taint everywhere. Even jammed a Lightning costume in the game too.
So if Pat somehow doesn't know this, please do inform him.

Although I'd have to disagree on PE2 being a DMC2 level sequel but I guess that might be personal preference at work.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't believe Woolie is still lying about the plot to Backdraft

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
Candidate for a future Saturday Morning Scrublord?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ndtjYEOn4

Also Matt, there's a manga that might interest you in the same vein of No More Heroes, from the guy who made Hellsing. It's called Assassine/Assassin Colosseum, and unfortunately there aren't that many chapters currently out right now.

But, I just thought I'd say that it exists for now, and has some kickass names for its hitmen:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The talk about Target in Canada kind of reminds how Walmart got its poo poo pushed in Germany because they didn't understand the culture and also tried to gently caress with the unions.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's almost as if the Walmart and such business models are unsustainable in places where people recognize how dehumanizing they are

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, they're talking about the Target closures on the podcast? I've been monitoring that as part of work so sorry if I blabber a bit.
It's kinda amazing how much the Target stores failed at the most basic things. They basically treated Canada as another US and didn't bother studying the market at all. Prices not only higher than the US but higher than their local competitors, poor selection of products, a focus on groceries when there's a lot more better-priced local options, crappy coupon programs... I've heard say that even the stores themselves were badly maintained. It's just poor performance all around. Especially when CostCo and even the dreaded Wal-Mart are doing so much better (I believe Canada is their best performing market). Still though, that's 18000 people on the streets. Sucks for them.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I haven't had time to listen to a full podcast in forever.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I can't remember if it was Target or not, but a few years back one of the big US chains opened in the UK and it was such a huge loving disaster the closed all the stores in the country after a few months.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Oh cool! Matt talked about Shadow Warrior!

I beat Shadow Warrior a few days ago, and yeah that game is long, and sometimes sort of aimless. I think I spent about 30 minutes running around a warehouse/derelict ship just looking for a single door. Or a power switch to open a door, or something like that. Granted, the only reason I couldn't find it was because I'm an idiot (it was pretty obvious where I was supposed to go, once I found it), but in that time I wasn't making demons explode by stabbing them in the face with my cool sword. That's on me, I guess.

My only real problem with it was the mix of invisible walls and (toward the end of the game) instant death out-of-bounds zones. You jump up a few boxes thinking that you found something really cool, and then you just get knocked down. Or you sneak your way around a wall, and think to yourself "gently caress YEAH SECRET! GONNA GET ME SOME MONEY OR A KI CRYSTAL OR SOMETHING" and then you just die. Then you get to the end of the level and it says you missed like 3 secrets.

I found the rabbit of Caerbannog though. That felt nice.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

doos posted:

I beat Shadow Warrior a few days ago, and yeah that game is long, and sometimes sort of aimless. I think I spent about 30 minutes running around a warehouse/derelict ship just looking for a single door. Or a power switch to open a door, or something like that. Granted, the only reason I couldn't find it was because I'm an idiot (it was pretty obvious where I was supposed to go, once I found it), but in that time I wasn't making demons explode by stabbing them in the face with my cool sword. That's on me, I guess.

My only real problem with it was the mix of invisible walls and (toward the end of the game) instant death out-of-bounds zones. You jump up a few boxes thinking that you found something really cool, and then you just get knocked down. Or you sneak your way around a wall, and think to yourself "gently caress YEAH SECRET! GONNA GET ME SOME MONEY OR A KI CRYSTAL OR SOMETHING" and then you just die. Then you get to the end of the level and it says you missed like 3 secrets.

I got stuck in that EXACT same area.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's like target assumed that buying zellers (:rip::canada:) would give them some sort of patriotic "in" to Canada when in realitt all it did was let them open shops in lovely, poorly maintained malls across the country.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

TheRealestMatt posted:

I got stuck in that EXACT same area.

The best/worst part is, when you do find the path, the floor collapses, sending you back to the nearly the beginning. I was horrified I wouldn't be able to find the way back, again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wish I lived in Canada where people don't bother you to buy their stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

I wish I lived in Canada where people don't bother you to buy their stuff.

Come to Finland, we give people their personal space.

Here is a Finnish bus stop:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Andrast posted:

I can practically hear the sad Incredible Hulk credits music

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

I can practically hear the sad Incredible Hulk credits music

Isn't that cover art for some indie-folk album? Could've fooled me.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

As someone who takes a train to work every day, that creeps me out. Like someone would freak the hell out if I wanted to stand 2 feet closer to where the bus shows up.

Also what would this thread's recommendation be for a SBF first time video or series for a friend who's not really into LPs? (As in, not antagonistic towards LPs but doesn't even really know much about LPs.)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anything from Creepy Anime Bullshit

doos
Jan 1, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

Also what would this thread's recommendation be for a SBF first time video or series for a friend who's not really into LPs? (As in, not antagonistic towards LPs but doesn't even really know much about LPs.)

arts n crafts
foodz n doodz

Probably a Machinima episode, Beyond Two Souls? Super condensed, and short enough to get the idea across and not over-stay its welcome (why spend a half hour on a youtube video if you're not really interested?) And in that case, it actually works as a preview for the first couple episodes of the full LP.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh my god these guys

these guys in the maze. Why didn't they just cut it out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

doos posted:

I am pretty sure I know the exact area you're talking about. Shadow Warrior's got some level design flaws and basically every gun but the Shotgun feels a bit limp, but boy is it a fun drat game otherwise.

Trexy
Aug 7, 2007

wife/GF
can't/won't

beep by grandpa posted:

I would show them some of the better fan animations. It would help them match a face with a voice. It also helps distill the funny bits down to something easily consumable before you jump in to some kind of crazy 18 hour lets play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If they're a fan of Homestuck, I will show them the John and Dave play Sburb fan animation. Else, I will show them Homecoming or Downpour just to show how much these dudes enjoy hating on lovely video games. If they are not in the mood for watching a full playthrough I'd probably show them Cabela or Man vs Wild but I'm a loser with loser friends who have nothing but time therefore Downcoming is my go-to choice.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Really surprised to hear how pushy Canadian Target is; I go there a lot since it's right next to me, and I've never been pushed or upsold anything. They don't even have that much high-end stuff. It's basically a nicer Wal-Mart here, in California at least.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
In what universe does Pat exist where there is software to programmatically create Rock Band player tracks out of inputted music?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

It's basically a nicer Wal-Mart

That is literally all I've ever heard people call Target.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Same. It only ever shows up near more upper-middle class neighborhoods.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Same. It only ever shows up near more upper-middle class neighborhoods.

A lot of Targets in Ontario are in lovely malls because that's where the Zellers they replaced were.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Veotax posted:

I can't remember if it was Target or not, but a few years back one of the big US chains opened in the UK and it was such a huge loving disaster the closed all the stores in the country after a few months.

That would be Best Buy. It came and went in the blink of an eye; I didn't even get a chance to visit one and barely anyone remembers them being here at all.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

In what universe does Pat exist where there is software to programmatically create Rock Band player tracks out of inputted music?

I assumed he meant an Editor like StepMania has.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That would be Best Buy. It came and went in the blink of an eye; I didn't even get a chance to visit one and barely anyone remembers them being here at all.

That was it! We had one in Purley Way, Croydon. That's an area with nothing but big stores mostly focused on one area (PC World, Toys R Us, Ikea), then Best Buy comes along and tries to cram everything into one store (that was comparatively smaller). I don't know what the other Best Buys were like while they were here, but that one was hilariously badly placed.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I feel like Liam could skip every non-forced encounter in SMRPG for the next 2-4 hours and still be perfectly well equipped for Booster's Tower. They very much did not intend for you to fight as many enemies as they have because the game is easy and for babies.

e: oh my god how does the forest maze stump you this bad i figured this poo poo out when i was 6 come on guys christ

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 21, 2015

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Woolie's rant about Mugen on the podcast was too real. I got that into Mugen back in the day.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
A FNF where they bet real money on Saltybet would basically be the best video on the channel.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

How does something awful staff member beef waifu feel about the Melty Blood segment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I... uh... have not listened to the podcast yet beyond the opening stuff about retail in America compared to Canada and they are pretty much 100% correct on that whole thing.