Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Tao Jones posted:

Christie's an interesting choice, but I don't think Republican voters have forgiven him for turning to Obama during Hurricane Sandy yet. It might happen, maybe, but I think people outside of NJ would need more time to get to know him.

On the contrary, I think occasional displays of "bipartisanship" are essential to being considered electable by the beltway establishment. There's a strong aversion to wingnuts within the Republican machine because they're seen as unreliable and damaging to the party's "brand." Maybe this will be the year the fringe finally beats the establishment, but I doubt it. In the past, the candidates who've won the nomination have been unimpeachably orthodox in their conservatism, but also had some fig leaf of "character" to suggest that they were real idealists rather than just robots following the party programming. Romney was a "blue state republican," McCain was a "maverick," George W. was a "compassionate conservative," and so on. Having some minor dispute with the right wing of the party helps a candidate stand out and makes them seem a little more appealing to all the centrists out there who (supposedly) decide elections. As long as the candidate doesn't go far enough to the center to actually alienate the base, it's a win. No, to my mind the biggest hurdle for Christie is the likeability issue. The bridge scandal hurt him so much in part because it underlines the image many people already had of him, of an arrogant bully who likes to throw his (considerable) weight around and always seems to be yelling. It's all too easy to box him into the stereotype of a "Jersey thug" and, unless he can succeed in re-branding himself as a big ol' teddy bear, it's going to be very hard for him to gain traction in the rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tao Jones posted:

Christie's an interesting choice, but I don't think Republican voters have forgiven him for turning to Obama during Hurricane Sandy yet. It might happen, maybe, but I think people outside of NJ would need more time to get to know him.

Actually, probably better that they don't get to know him? The more I hear about him, the less likable he seems. If he can craft a persona and sell it to the nation, that might be something, but it's too hard to bury all the petty, bad, embarrassing stuff. Although supposedly Ailes was courting Christie heavily in 12, maybe he's still got that support?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Romney is running again and there are reasons he didn't pick Christie as his running mate last go round. I look forward to him being very open about those reasons if Christie gains the slightest bit of traction. I don't think Christie will make it through the primary, especially with Romney surrogates dripping poison in the ears of potential donors.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sullat posted:

Actually, probably better that they don't get to know him? The more I hear about him, the less likable he seems. If he can craft a persona and sell it to the nation, that might be something, but it's too hard to bury all the petty, bad, embarrassing stuff. Although supposedly Ailes was courting Christie heavily in 12, maybe he's still got that support?

Presumably there is something in Christie's oppo binder (not full of women) that made Romney run screaming* away from him as a potential VP selection.

*walk smirking

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Peztopiary posted:

Romney is running again and there are reasons he didn't pick Christie as his running mate last go round. I look forward to him being very open about those reasons if Christie gains the slightest bit of traction. I don't think Christie will make it through the primary, especially with Romney surrogates dripping poison in the ears of potential donors.

Wasn't part of the problem that Christie refused to open up to full scrutiny? That's pretty much an admission that there are some ugly things hiding in your past.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

mdemone posted:

Presumably there is something in Christie's oppo binder (not full of women).

Hey hey hey, don't judge, plenty of girls go for the rear end in a top hat-types, you don't know, maybe Christie's got mad game.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gyges posted:

As soon as the right flipped out over Michelle Obama suggesting that maybe we shouldn't have a double cheeseburger and a shake for every meal he no longer needed his Dr. Phil style healthy living guide.

Leading by example, that's the kind of President we need. :patriot:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Regarding Rand Paul, don't forget that we're all internet-dwelling folks which makes Rand Paul seem a lot more reasonable. Out on a campaign trail/debate his policies are going to get completely grilled by the Republican audiences. His relative youth and inexperience will also play against him, as he'll be outmaneuvered on talking points and will end up looking a lot dumber than he is on a debate stage.

He'll get some attention and some traction, but I think he is a long way from being any sort of realistic contender.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

Leading by example, that's the kind of President we need. :patriot:

Let's all just vote for whoever is fattest and see what happens.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Let's all just vote for whoever is fattest and see what happens.
I would love to hear things like "thin privilege" being thrown around by presidential candidates :allears:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"Michellethy", to balance out with "Obamacare".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just got around to watching Huckabee on The Daily Show last night. It's like someone poured the culture war into a suit (and there's a lot of culture war) which we're going to have to listen to for the next two years. It's intolerable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBalor posted:

Wasn't part of the problem that Christie refused to open up to full scrutiny? That's pretty much an admission that there are some ugly things hiding in your past.

Romney's advisors have said that they turned up enough on him to have destroyed him in the primary. That means they actually found the ugly things, and they didn't spend anything close to what will get spent if he's an actual candidate.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

evilweasel posted:

Romney's advisors have said that they turned up enough on him to have destroyed him in the primary. That means they actually found the ugly things, and they didn't spend anything close to what will get spent if he's an actual candidate.

If Christie has such huge, obvious weaknesses, why is he considering running? Is it misplaced confidence or maybe the belief that even if he loses his career comes out ahead?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

If Christie has such huge, obvious weaknesses, why is he considering running? Is it misplaced confidence or maybe the belief that even if he loses his career comes out ahead?

Colossal, delusional ego and a coterie of sycophants to tell you that you can be president are pretty much required to step into the game. Apparently Christie still has some kind of inner circle who hasn't turned on him yet.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Those moderates love you, Christie! Sure you briefly exhausted your goodwill from Sandy for your bridge fuckery, but they forgot that and the Tea Party loves you now for sticking it to them liebruls!

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

an unsuccessful high profile bid for the presidency seems to do better for your book deal/cable news show/speaking fees than simply continuing to be governor. This is Christie saving for retirement

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'd imagine that Christie sees in himself the ideal gap-spanning (because he is fat you see) candidate that can be something to enough of every major demographic that he can get elected as a Republican where others cannot. I cant see him thinking himself as being clean, but I can see him thinking that people will realize that it does not matter in the face of him being the only ultimately electable person eating corn dogs in Iowa.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

He may disagree about how bad the skeletons are or not realize they're there, or just figure that anything that damaging would have leaked already.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

QwertyAsher posted:

an unsuccessful high profile bid for the presidency seems to do better for your book deal/cable news show/speaking fees than simply continuing to be governor. This is Christie saving for retirement

Chris Christie saving for retirement seems like a silly idea.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Remember that Bill Clinton and Gary Hart ran for President while having active extramarital affairs.

If you're running for President, your ego and ambition are already so large that these things don't factor in.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chris Christie got the "black" from Obama when he hugged him, he is tainted and therefore ineligible for the Republican nomination.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Joementum posted:

Just got around to watching Huckabee on The Daily Show last night. It's like someone poured the culture war into a suit (and there's a lot of culture war) which we're going to have to listen to for the next two years. It's intolerable.

That was loving rough. I just posted in the SOTU thread to kill time during the pre-game show.

It was cringe worthy watching Huck bend over backwards trying to justify jamming with Ted Nugent while decrying Beyonce. Nice description by the way. I'm going to borrow that one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

evilweasel posted:

He may disagree about how bad the skeletons are or not realize they're there, or just figure that anything that damaging would have leaked already.
Also, consider that the source for "this guy has more skeletons than a Level 65 Epic Necromancer" is a campaign that was confident of victory that they refused to prepare a concession speech going into election night.

The Romney people haven't exactly established themselves as world-beaters when it comes to savvy political analysis.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

Remember that Bill Clinton and Gary Hart ran for President while having active extramarital affairs.

If you're running for President, your ego and ambition are already so large that these things don't factor in.

Also, apparently Nixon ran for president after taking bribes, committing treason, and spying on his opponents. And he was elected, twice! I guess if the (future) president does it, it wasn't illegal.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

Chris Christie got the "black" from Obama when he hugged him, he is tainted and therefore ineligible for the Republican nomination.

Nooo, don't say that around hete, apparently if the GOP is known for one thing, its rational forgiveness and being welcome of working with Obama.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Venom Snake posted:

I guess that explains the awkward hug footage from that Cowboys game.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

And the sitting two-term vice president isn't even being considered? I :toxx: that Joe Biden will be at the first official democratic primary debate (official being defined as organized by the DNC and carried by a major tv network).

If I had my way, I would want Joe Biden to be perpetual vice president until he has to retire.

Zombie Joe Biden for Vice President 2076.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

celeron 300a posted:

And the sitting two-term vice president isn't even being considered? I :toxx: that Joe Biden will be at the first official democratic primary debate (official being defined as organized by the DNC and carried by a major tv network).

If I had my way, I would want Joe Biden to be perpetual vice president until he has to retire.

I believe Biden would like to run, but knows he has no shot with Hillary running. If she announced she wasn't running though I think he'd run.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Impromptu survey of racists middle-class whites:

Clinton v. Romney - Clinton
Clinton v. Bush - Tie
Clinton v. Cruz - Clinton
Clinton v. Christie - Undecided
Clinton v. Paul - Billary unanimously
Clinton v. Rubio - Clinton

I think 2016 is Clinton's to lose, except against Bush, where she'll struggle due to her inability to rapidly adapt to Bush's evolving policy positions.

Key notes:

-Clinton is a bitch, which is one of her greatest strengths and why white voters love her. If she presents herself as a soft, bipartisan leader rather than a woman warrior, she'll likely struggle in the polls and and end with a white vote comparable to Obama '12.

-Who the gently caress are Rubio/Cruz/Paul ?

-Romney is a loser, Clinton wins easily

-Christie is viewed as a strong, no-shits man who don't take gruff, and would gobble Hillary if she sells herself as a caring woman

-Clinton ran the country during the 90s as a bitch, which was viewed positively

Survey disclaimers: Sample size under 60, gathered in random drinkkng discussions in Chicagoland over past week. Still, when individuals were asked, "Who do you expect to be the next President?," resounding response was Clinton. Responses which were varients of, "gently caress you/gently caress off/gently caress outta here," were discarded from analysis.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

celeron 300a posted:

Biden has fine credentials and is liked by plenty of liberals (the main strike against him from the left is his status as a staunch drug warrior, the War on Drugs being more or less the original sin of his whole generation of politicians.). But to the electorate at large, he's a hokey joke politician and a burden to the current administration. I don't think there has been much positive mainstream buzz about him since right after his debate against Ryan.

He is also pretty drat old. If elected, he would be several years older at inauguration than Reagan or Harrison. Fertile attack ground there.

Carter/Mondale vs Bush/Dole 2016

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Who's doing the SOTU GOP response? Any of the likely contenders (or "contenders")?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Who's doing the SOTU GOP response? Any of the likely contenders (or "contenders")?

A woman who's election season claim to fame was personally castrating an animal.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Ernst, so no.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Lol looking it up online.

Joni Ernst gives the GOP response to Obama. Who is she?
USA TODAY‎ - 6 hours ago

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Lol looking it up online.

Joni Ernst gives the GOP response to Obama. Who is she?
USA TODAY‎ - 6 hours ago

Joni Ernst - Hog Castrator - Official GOP
Kurt Clawson - Professional Indian Recognizer - Tea Party
Rand Paul - Rand Paul - Rand Paul

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Joementum posted:

If you're a college grad it has to be unbelievable that Clinton survived the Monica Lewinsky scandal. The old duffer is already making preliminary plans to inhabit the Oval Office AGAIN, according to an interview a couple of days ago, this time with his wife in charge. Now that's chutzpah!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I can't wait for Joni Ernst to once again embarrass the state of Iowa.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

My Imaginary GF posted:

Impromptu survey of racists middle-class whites:

Clinton v. Romney - Clinton
Clinton v. Bush - Tie
Clinton v. Cruz - Clinton
Clinton v. Christie - Undecided
Clinton v. Paul - Billary unanimously
Clinton v. Rubio - Clinton

I think 2016 is Clinton's to lose, except against Bush, where she'll struggle due to her inability to rapidly adapt to Bush's evolving policy positions.

Key notes:

-Clinton is a bitch, which is one of her greatest strengths and why white voters love her. If she presents herself as a soft, bipartisan leader rather than a woman warrior, she'll likely struggle in the polls and and end with a white vote comparable to Obama '12.

-Who the gently caress are Rubio/Cruz/Paul ?

-Romney is a loser, Clinton wins easily

-Christie is viewed as a strong, no-shits man who don't take gruff, and would gobble Hillary if she sells herself as a caring woman

-Clinton ran the country during the 90s as a bitch, which was viewed positively

Survey disclaimers: Sample size under 60, gathered in random drinkkng discussions in Chicagoland over past week. Still, when individuals were asked, "Who do you expect to be the next President?," resounding response was Clinton. Responses which were varients of, "gently caress you/gently caress off/gently caress outta here," were discarded from analysis.

ahhh.. my nemesis MIGF appears once again. Clinton will have to try to overcome 'Liberal Fatigue' if she hopes to win the presidency. America has already had 8 years of a Democrat in the hot seat so it really depends on whether they want more of the same or if they 'Vote for Change.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

joeburz posted:

A woman who's election season claim to fame was personally castrating an animal.

A woman who's election season claim to fame was personally being Bill Clinton's wife.

And that worked in New loving York, so tits to Iowa I guess.

• Locked thread