Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grey Fox posted:

Follow this up by turning the sniper duel into a fistfight for extra fun. That old dude can really haul rear end.

I love how the bosses in MGS3 (seasoned, legendary war vets) whine like children when you don't fight them "correctly."

These are seasoned, legendary war vets who have devised fighting strategies based around gimmicks. I'd be pissed too if I showed up and the guy wouldn't let me use my gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Speaking of MGS3 I love that Ocelot summons his soldiers by meowing loudly, and later he even does "easy tiger" mime paws

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ocelot's meowing and finger guns thing is so legendary that it has been immortalized as :ocelot:, fit for pairing with any other armless emote.

:ocelot::smug:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Speaking of MGS3 I love that Ocelot summons his soldiers by meowing loudly, and later he even does "easy tiger" mime paws

Anyone who doesn't love Ocelot and his weird as hell gimmicks are dead inside. But nothing beats (spoilers for the very end of the game): Ocelot and Snake fighting in the plane as it tries to take off. Throughout the whole game Snake has absolutely trounced Ocelot, but each time Ocelot does a little bit better, perfectly mirroring Snake's interactions with the Boss. So naturally their final fight has them on almost even footing, with Snake only having a slight advantage. During the fight Ocelot sees an opportunity to take a jab and blind Snake... In his already blind eye. So he thumps Snake's eyepatch and they both stop to have a laugh about it when they realize what happened. :kimchi:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I will never not laugh at that cheeky grin.

edit: Speaking of which, that scene in particular brings up something I like a lot about Metal Gear Solid as a series. The game doesn't assume that Snake is you, the player, the game assumes that Snake is Snake and you are you. In that scene, Ocelot's final game with Snake is to present him with two guns he's just done his silly juggling thing with. One is loaded, the other is not. He lets Snake have first choice on which one he wants to take. In the cutscene that follows, if you chose the one with the bullet in it, Snake doesn't fire because he was paying attention to the juggling and knew which one was the loaded one, even if you the player just picked randomly. I think it's cool that they separate the player from the character in a way that doesn't disrupt the game like that, Metal Gear Solid pulls off stuff like that well even from the first one in the series. If you do stuff before the game expects you to, it's because Snake's intuition gave him the knowledge to do it, not because you've played the game before and are sequence breaking, and the game treats it that way.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:23 on Jan 19, 2015

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of which, that scene in particular brings up something I like a lot about Metal Gear Solid as a series. The game doesn't assume that Snake is you, the player, the game assumes that Snake is Snake and you are you. In that scene, Ocelot's final game with Snake is to present him with two guns he's just done his silly juggling thing with. One is loaded, the other is not. He lets Snake have first choice on which one he wants to take. In the cutscene that follows, if you chose the one with the bullet in it, Snake doesn't fire because he was paying attention to the juggling and knew which one was the loaded one, even if you the player just picked randomly. I think it's cool that they separate the player from the character in a way that doesn't disrupt the game like that, Metal Gear Solid pulls off stuff like that well even from the first one in the series. If you do stuff before the game expects you to, it's because Snake's intuition gave him the knowledge to do it, not because you've played the game before and are sequence breaking, and the game treats it that way.

Uh, actually, there's a couple of ways that scene can resolve. You can choose to not fire (a lot of people do this by accident I think, because you're not given a lot of time to pull the trigger). You can fire (in which case, Ocelot reveals it was a blank). And you can intentionally miss. All aside from the outcome where you don't pick the right one.

The sequence is interesting for another reason - throughout the game, you're given the opportunity to hold R1 at marked points to cutscenes from Snake's point of view, which often reveals hidden things, so you get used to always pressing it when you can. During the gun juggling scene at the end, you hold R1 to keep track of where the right gun is. But there's a point where he puts both the guns behind his back... at which point, you need to stop holding the button, to make the camera go back to the default view, if you want to keep track of the gun.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Who What Now posted:

Anyone who doesn't love Ocelot and his weird as hell gimmicks are dead inside. But nothing beats (spoilers for the very end of the game): Ocelot and Snake fighting in the plane as it tries to take off. Throughout the whole game Snake has absolutely trounced Ocelot, but each time Ocelot does a little bit better, perfectly mirroring Snake's interactions with the Boss. So naturally their final fight has them on almost even footing, with Snake only having a slight advantage. During the fight Ocelot sees an opportunity to take a jab and blind Snake... In his already blind eye. So he thumps Snake's eyepatch and they both stop to have a laugh about it when they realize what happened. :kimchi:

To be fair, in that fight Big Boss already went through hell and even his with superpower of being able to instantly heal from electrocution, drowning, getting shot in the leg and the eye, he had a really bad day. It took all of that for Ocelot to be on even footing with him. Which is probably why he has such a man-crush on Big Boss.

Ocelot man-crush is loving hilarious. Can't wait for Phantom Pain.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bewilderment posted:

Uh, actually, there's a couple of ways that scene can resolve. You can choose to not fire (a lot of people do this by accident I think, because you're not given a lot of time to pull the trigger). You can fire (in which case, Ocelot reveals it was a blank). And you can intentionally miss. All aside from the outcome where you don't pick the right one.

With age I have forgotten that was part of it, oops, but what I said is still true. The games are very intelligent about rewarding you for doing things in a different way or sometimes accidentally bumbling on the right solution by making Snake seem like he's just that cool.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
This isn't exactly a little thing, but I just started playing The World Ends With You today. And oh my god this soundtrack is phenomenal. :allears:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bewilderment posted:

The sequence is interesting for another reason - throughout the game, you're given the opportunity to hold R1 at marked points to cutscenes from Snake's point of view, which often reveals hidden things,

Most of the time it's used to look at boobs though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

When you hit R1 after Snake loses his eye, the right side of the screen is black.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alhazred posted:

Little thing in Metal Gear Solid 3/Peace Walker: Big Boss is a tits man. :smug::hf::smug:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LoonShia posted:

When you hit R1 after Snake loses his eye, the right side of the screen is black.
In the 3DS port the 3D stops working when that happens for the rest of the game.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Galick posted:

This isn't exactly a little thing, but I just started playing The World Ends With You today. And oh my god this soundtrack is phenomenal. :allears:

I always dress in rags

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Galick posted:

While we're at it, one of the great little things about TWEWY is the fact that there are multiple tracks for everything, something like 10+ battle songs and five or six overworld themes, so you don't get sick of them after playing the game for as obnoxiously long as I did. Also it lets you select any music track you've collected and use it as the menu theme. (Also I love the game's style, I can't think of many JRPGs with a modern urban setting like that, but I don't know if 'an entire game's aesthetic' counts as a little thing.)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's probably the dumbest best littlest thing I've seen in a game. And when I say little, I mean little. In the hub area for Wolfenstein: The New Order, there'll be a "side quest" around the second time passing through to return the resident mentally deficient buddy's toys to him, the first of which is this robot:

The robot walks a few steps very slowly, then stops and spins around, then keeps walking.

I was curious to see what would happen when it ran out of floor to walk on so I followed it around taking glamour shots of its epic journey. Go little guy go!

And it turns out they actually put in an animation for the robot hitting the cracked concrete and falling over instead of just, like, having it stop or something. The toy is right on the critical path and takes like 5 seconds to notice and pick up, which starts the sidequest. I had to stand there for like five minutes to see this happen. I assure you it was a very good use of my time.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Jan 19, 2015

CyrusThe
Apr 21, 2004
Gimme suicide rock'n'roll
He's not a clever man.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Actually you wanna know my favorite loving thing about MGR:R?

I have friends who agree with Sundowner and Senator Armstrong. It's a good filter for people I can file under "I will never take any of these people seriously ever again."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

bewilderment posted:

Of course none of that is how the scene actually went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfvSoE1Hnc

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 10:53 on Jan 19, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Tracula posted:

I have friends who agree with Sundowner and Senator Armstrong. It's a good filter for people I can file under "I will never take any of these people seriously ever again."

Aren't they also carrying out the will of the Boss, where soldiers would always be respected? Like Big Boss did with MSF and the Patriots did through SOP?

Constant war through brain-washing orphans and manipulating the media is maybe not how she envisioned it, but it's something to ponder nonetheless.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tracula posted:

Armstrong I can at least kinda understand but Sundowner? :staredog:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

War is what happens to other people.

Though the imagery in Red Sun is striking:

quote:

Golden rays of the glorious sunshine
Setting down, such a blood-red light
Now the animals slowly retreat
To the shadows – out of sight

Arid breeze blows across the mountains
Giving flight to the birds of prey
In the distance machines come
To transform Eden – day by day

Only love is with us now
Something warm and pure
Find the peace within ourselves
No need for a cure

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Xoidanor posted:

Talk to a libertarian. You'll find more insanity than you'd ever want.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you've ever wanted to beat up insane ultra-libertarians and make them eat their dumb words via your fist, Metal Gear Rising is a good video game to play.

On the subject of people who agree with Armstrong, it's amazing to see how well they pulled off the Political Candidate Huckster Salesman character archetype in him. The reason people believe in the things Armstrong puts forward in his bigass speech toward the end of the game is because he sells it really well. He doesn't come at it from the angle of dismantling America with PMCs, he comes at it from a more relatable "the state of the country sucks am I right??" angle to mask his true intentions of putting himself at the top even in his reconstructed world where the whole point is that nobody can be at the top. Even in his one-man pitch to Raiden, he acts like a true skeevy politician and while Raiden sees right through his bullshit, some of the more libertarian-leaning players or people just not paying attention to what he's saying might not see it that way. His voice actor did an excellent job fitting the role.

edit: Also, these people that take his words at face value probably do not consider that they aren't applicable to real life because it's like 2025 in the Metal Gear universe and also there are giant robot dinosaurs that moo like cows as well as robot spiders that fire laser canons.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Jan 19, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

His voice actor did an excellent job fitting the role.

That's Alastair Duncan, a spectacular British actor who's been in a shitton of games and TV shows. Remember the turian rear end in a top hat from Mass Effect that inspired the :turianass: emote? That's also him.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Related to that, the first few times Snake is just checking out EVAs boobs/rear end but near the end of the game Snake is staring at her face :3:. It's an oddly sweet mechanic and shows Snake is starting to like her.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

CJacobs posted:

If you've ever wanted to beat up insane ultra-libertarians and make them eat their dumb words via your fist, Metal Gear Rising is a good video game to play.

On the subject of people who agree with Armstrong, it's amazing to see how well they pulled off the Political Candidate Huckster Salesman character archetype in him. The reason people believe in the things Armstrong puts forward in his bigass speech toward the end of the game is because he sells it really well. He doesn't come at it from the angle of dismantling America with PMCs, he comes at it from a more relatable "the state of the country sucks am I right??" angle to mask his true intentions of putting himself at the top even in his reconstructed world where the whole point is that nobody can be at the top. Even in his one-man pitch to Raiden, he acts like a true skeevy politician and while Raiden sees right through his bullshit, some of the more libertarian-leaning players or people just not paying attention to what he's saying might not see it that way. His voice actor did an excellent job fitting the role.

edit: Also, these people that take his words at face value probably do not consider that they aren't applicable to real life because it's like 2025 in the Metal Gear universe and also there are giant robot dinosaurs that moo like cows as well as robot spiders that fire laser canons.

MGS2 did this really well with Solidus, also. The entire time you're chasing this total rear end in a top hat of a villain, just in time to have explain his actual motivations and it turns out he was just taking extreme measures to eliminate a greater evil. Then, just as you start thinking "I'm not sure I really want to fight this guy any more" he forces you to do it anyway because it's only fitting that the game manipulates you one final time. Plus his death was pretty drat cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spalec posted:

Related to that, the first few times Snake is just checking out EVAs boobs/rear end but near the end of the game Snake is staring at her face :3:. It's an oddly sweet mechanic and shows Snake is starting to like her.

Also, in Metal Gear Solid 4 it appears that Snake has inherited his father's love for tits. Those R1 moments return, and there is a cutscene where Naomi tells Snake something that's so disappointing to him that it actually lowers his psyche (basically stamina) ingame... but a few moments later after Snake lights a cigarette he gets it back without really any reason why. If the player holds R1 however, they can catch Snake getting a good long stare at her chest which restores his psyche back to what it was before. :v:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

CyrusThe posted:

He's not a clever man.

How is the Fight Club mod anyway?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really hope that, someday, MGS3 shows up on Steam. I'm playing my 360 less and less, and eventually I'm just going full-on PC, and that's definitely a game I'll miss. I know I can fire it up whenever, but someday, that 360 isn't going to turn on :smith: (and I can't go back to the PS2).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really hope that, someday, MGS3 shows up on Steam. I'm playing my 360 less and less, and eventually I'm just going full-on PC, and that's definitely a game I'll miss. I know I can fire it up whenever, but someday, that 360 isn't going to turn on :smith: (and I can't go back to the PS2).

This is my favorite little thing about The Phantom Pain: it'll get a PC release.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Snake's greatest camo in MGS3 is PS2 era graphics

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hah, just noticed that in Metal Gear Rising your tiny tripod robot tries to plug an USB cable wrong way and then turns it around.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kennel posted:

Hah, just noticed that in Metal Gear Rising your tiny tripod robot tries to plug an USB cable wrong way and then turns it around.

Greatest ever achievement in video game realism.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Kennel posted:

Yeah, it's the best moment. The only way it could be more realistic is if he tried it one way, tried it the other way, then tried it the first way again and it worked.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Kennel posted:

My favorite part is the the robot actually takes a look at it before turning it around. I like to imagine that they just put motion-capture dots on some developer without telling him why and then just left the recording equipment on until that happened.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Galick posted:

That's kinda funny. I actually just finished the solo version today.
I'd have to agree with you on the music. It's really nice to have a jrpg with multiple battle themes for normal battles.
Makes it seem a lot less tedious.

Just wish the game cut out the "you have to choose every option to go on" and "watch the same scene a hundred times" bullshit.
That stuffs for another thread though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

fatherboxx posted:

War is what happens to other people.

Though the imagery in Red Sun is striking:

The song lyrics are fantastic in MGR. They sound awesome as gently caress when you're fighting but then you stop and listen to them closely and it's like wtf, you're actually singing a pretty messed up song.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

poptart_fairy posted:

The song lyrics are fantastic in MGR. They sound awesome as gently caress when you're fighting but then you stop and listen to them closely and it's like wtf, you're actually singing a pretty messed up song.

This should be required reading for anyone who likes MGR:R's music. The game does a masterful job of making the music enhance the story while reinforcing just how badass and hosed-up everything is.

Let your country control your soul
LET YOUR COUNTRY CONTROL YOUR SOUL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
To be fair, they're supposed to be about/from the perspective of the bosses the song plays over.