Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

I... kinda want the Iron Kong now.

The Genosaurer is pretty sweet too. Zoids are pretty sweet. That's another collection of models that disappeared into the aether with my childhood. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've posted more Try Burning info

What grade is this, I NEED this :stare:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Future's down on the MG GM QUEL. PROTIP: if you choose to do the QUEL and decide to paint, make two batches of Titans blue. One darker, one lighter. I screwed up and painted the parts that should be lighter darker. You can see this on the backpack and front chest part between the yellow vents, as opposed to the blue of the head, the rest of the chest, and waist parts, all of which are molded in kit colors.

The left seam looks much more evenly done in person; the flash and CFL light are not very nice. It'll be covered up by the arms anyway.

I forgot to take a photo of the legs and waist. If you build this, FYI, be prepared to paint the inner frame parts. They're molded in this awful purple color which looks way off, and some of 'em are exposed on the outside.

It's still a mean-lookin' mofo of a kit, though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Dre2Dee2 posted:

HG, there aren't any BFTry MGs yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Its a high grade. Really the burnings are so good they dont need MGs or RG but I'd love to see some anyways.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
OK so I'm nearing completion of my first Gundam in ten years and I'm running into an issue with my coating. I'm using Testor dullcoat and it made my Gundam marker paint bleed. I don't think it made the panel lines bleed, and I don't think I have any more Gundam marker paint on the rest of the Gundam, but did I miss a step/am I using the wrong finish?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did you let the markers dry and cure?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I painted over little nub imperfections when I made the part, and that was it, so it must have been sitting for at least two weeks. I didn't do anything beyond giving them ample time to dry though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are you a gross oily person that smudges everything you touch?

I am and wear gloves

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of smudging, do I need a certain primer or paint down before I paint on Mr. Metallic Color? I always have smudging issues, it seems.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Always have gloss black primer down before you do anything metallic.

Always. This is Mr Crystal Color, which has a more dramatic difference, but still the same concept

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I have learned this much while assembling HG The O:

If you follow the instructions perfectly, the legs won't attach to the hips. As in, there will be a peg in the way meaning the polycaps will not actually be able to stay on. You have to put the polycap on the hip, then build AROUND it.

But still, it's finished now, it's a complete brick, and I love having it just standing on my shelf looking intimidating in among all the dynamic poses.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 20, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BlitzBlast posted:

Always have gloss black primer down before you do anything metallic.

Always. This is Mr Crystal Color, which has a more dramatic difference, but still the same concept

What is this magic? It breaks my mind because all my clear paints for miniatures show up better with white primer

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

signalnoise posted:

What is this magic? It breaks my mind because all my clear paints for miniatures show up better with white primer

Opacity, mr color lacquers, metallic effects, chemistry bla bla bla. Coincidentally, using a white gloss base with mr. crystal color is a pretty cool way to paint a Quebeley.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Opacity, mr color lacquers, metallic effects, chemistry bla bla bla. Coincidentally, using a white gloss base with mr. crystal color is a pretty cool way to paint a Quebeley.

Yeah, I was gonna say, it'd be a great way to do a pearl finish on something. A Qubely in particular would look amazing with it, or even just a usually-white suit.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

signalnoise posted:

For clears, yeah. They tend to show up better on white. Metallics tend to always be more vibrant on blacks. In the case of Mr. Color Crystal, I'd hazard a guess that the metallic flakes are so sodding tiny and suspended in a clear or translucent medium such that they become more of a tint on white, and only show up properly on a gloss black background. I still wouldn't have expected *that* large of a difference, though. Still, I know what's going on my shopping list when I get to building my Qubeley.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there such a thing as hand-brushable gloss black primer, or am I looking at any basic primer (in this case Vallejo surface primer) followed by a gloss black, then the Mr. Metallic?

Also JFC, I need to use that XC07 on a Qubeley Papillon.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have finished "finishing" my first gunpla. RGM-79 GM HG. This was my first model to build last year when I started and was kinda disappointed how lacking it was. The beam saber was not colored, the shield backing didn't have the grey underside, and the foot joints were not colored either. So I hand brushed all the joints and the ankle sections. Hand brushed the hands, gun, shield backside, and used a gundam marker for the saber. I hand brushed future for the panel lines and didn't like how that was working out. Finished with a flat coat future\base flat with an airbrush. Learned alot, looking to learn alot more.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Awww hell yeah. Now if only there was a 1/144 Zeta that wasn't a fragile mess.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Jesus that thing does look like a brick. The O needs to lay off the McDaniels.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Warmachine posted:

:eng101: Scirocco designed it to look that big, so anyone fighting it would assume it to be slow. It's actually as fast as Zeta Gundam.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I thought The O's girth was less a deliberate misdirection and more just a result of combining shitloads of armor with the requisite thrust systems and fuel to make it go resulting in a huge-rear end MS. All those thrusters means its gotta have tanks all over the suit.

e. like I think it's one of the only suits in Zeta that can flat out no-sell Beam weapons purely on how thick the armor is rather than from beam coatings or I fields.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 21, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I just got my first action base and being able to do flying poses is so cool :swoon:

I do wish it could go short enough to add support to standing poses the kit isn't balanced enough to manage on its feet, though, or pegs on the base for the same.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
It makes me so sad how much money I spent on the original lines of zoids in my teens. The new koto stuff is utterly mind blowingly amazing by comparison.

By the by, does anyone know if there's a market for reselling them?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Tenzarin posted:

I have finished "finishing" my first gunpla. RGM-79 GM HG. This was my first model to build last year when I started and was kinda disappointed how lacking it was. The beam saber was not colored, the shield backing didn't have the grey underside, and the foot joints were not colored either. So I hand brushed all the joints and the ankle sections. Hand brushed the hands, gun, shield backside, and used a gundam marker for the saber. I hand brushed future for the panel lines and didn't like how that was working out. Finished with a flat coat future\base flat with an airbrush. Learned alot, looking to learn alot more.

Looks ace. I want to try gunship grey/opaque orange for my custom 0083 GM, I like that color combination.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

mr. stefan posted:

I thought The O's girth was less a deliberate misdirection and more just a result of combining shitloads of armor with the requisite thrust systems and fuel to make it go resulting in a huge-rear end MS. All those thrusters means its gotta have tanks all over the suit.

e. like I think it's one of the only suits in Zeta that can flat out no-sell Beam weapons purely on how thick the armor is rather than from beam coatings or I fields.

It's also built to Jupiterian specifications, and those suits require huge thrust to be able to work around Jupiter's gravity well. Later suits like the Crossbones compensate for the same by having those four huge boosters on the back.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ka0 posted:

Looks ace. I want to try gunship grey/opaque orange for my custom 0083 GM, I like that color combination.

There is supposed to be 2 panel lines on the shoulders, future filled up one T_T.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I...suddenly want to do a The O up like Grimace....

Or a Ronald The O'Donalds.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Looks good all the same, nice work!

Suzaku posted:

I...suddenly want to do a The O up like Grimace....

Or a Ronald The O'Donalds.

It's basically already a chicken nugget.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Thank you for building the best mobile suit.

Speaking of The-O, I managed to find this little treasure at a model kit convention in Pasadena. I want to make sure I'm confident in my handpainting skills with gunpla before I even think about starting a resin kit, though.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Zeon thirsts for the strength of its people! *

* (Strength of people may be augmented by Hi-Zack, who thinks he's stumbled into a family reunion, and Jesta Cannon, who realizes the misunderstanding but wants to be supportive)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lock Knight posted:

* (Strength of people may be augmented by Hi-Zack, who thinks he's stumbled into a family reunion, and Jesta Cannon, who realizes the misunderstanding but wants to be supportive)

"Day 7, they still do not realize I'm with Londo Bell. I've attended a rally and shouted Sieg Zeon. Soon."

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There's the Robot Damashii Zeta* but it's an action figure so might be free from the Zeta Curse.

It sucks that there aren't any decent Zeta kits since it's one of my favorite designs.

EDIT: I don't have a Damashii figure so I can't say for sure but I think they're typically the same size an 1/144 HG kit.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 21, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RD Zeta is smaller than 1/144. It's also really stylized, though maybe that won't bug other people as much as it bugs me.

Honestly if you just want a nice looking Zeta the RG is actually fine. Just be really careful with the shoulders and don't transform it ever.

EDIT: RDs are typically either larger (Late UC) or smaller (almost everything else) than their corresponding HGs. Only the Wing and G lines hit the exact sweetspot, which is great because you're not getting kits of those designs for a while.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 21, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lock Knight posted:

Shortly afterwards the Full Armor Unicorn arrived and wrecked everyone's poo poo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You mean it tried to, but fell over and then all of the Zeon kits robbed it blind.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Warmachine posted:

You continue to live up to your name.

Neo Zeong is literally the best.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

You mean it tried to, but fell over and then all of the Zeon kits robbed it blind.

Either/or.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Last month or thereabouts, I did a comparison video for nub shaving: three different types of curved blades vs. the standard #11. I finally put the video together and you can see it here: http://youtu.be/ixfmj2gQvww

Hopefully it's useful to people to see them in action rather than spending time and money.

If you don't want to spend a fuckton for Tamiya blades, your best bet is a bulk buy of #11s and just change them out like crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My second splurge of birthday money on gunpla has happened.

HG F91, HG Victory Gundam and my first RG, Exia :black101: