Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

visuvius posted:

Its weird to me that you guys are taking her side on the Amazon legal fund thing. Whether or not you agree with the concept of the whole donating to the legal fund, it was about the team effort and pitching in. He brought up a good point in that if Rogan, Nerdist et al. were willing to donate through the Amazon fund, what the hell excuse did she have? She's on the God drat network. Also, Jesus how much could it have been? Whats it like $500 bucks for 100 grand in Amazon purchases? I doubt ARIYNBF is bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars of Amazon revenue through her link. Give me a break and just pitch in. "I'll donate a t-shirt" is some pretty weak sauce poo poo in the face of $650,000 in legal fees.

His other points totally made sense as well, especially the lack of recurring bits or preparing for shows. The personal stuff was a little weird but he keeps mentioning that overall scale thing and if thats how he thinks about it then yeah that personal poo poo will eventually add up. I'd probably be a little put off as well if I inviting someone to a bunch of poo poo and they never reciprocated.

Man I totally hosed up the math on this but my point still stands.

I think at the time the whole legal defense things was going on, Alison was probably trying to save as much money as she could. She had to get a new car, she was getting married, she moved into a new apartment, and she knew she very well would need to undergo IVF and all that. I don't think it was a mean reason she didn't want to donate, but probably felt a bit panicked that that source of income wouldn't be coming in anymore if she donated it to the defense fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Adam has put the kibosh on his people being on Alison's Thursday show. I'm listening to it now, but it sounds like Alison won't be getting into Adam's reasons for firing her yet. She just said "Something's up with him, and he's going through something."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dear Prudence posted:

I think Adam was making a case that it was not one specific thing. It was a lot of little things that added up to a clear sign she had to go. Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of Alison's. But after hearing what Adam said, I understand his reasons. HOWEVER, as Bryan repeatedly asked Adam and he confirmed - Adam never talked to Alison about the things that were bothering him. And I think that had he, it would have made a huge difference. I listen to Alison's podcast every time it's out, twice a week. Alison is and can be very funny and effervescent. She's very on the ball and quick with a joke and she does command her shows. Her ability to be present is not lacking. But having listened to her show, I've also heard her talk about Adam and her relationship with Adam and the whole network and other people there. A lot of these discussions can be heard around 2013/2014 right before she launched her Thursday show and a couple episodes of her Thursday show. She always seemed like she was intimidated by Adam. I think she felt that in her eyes he was an emotional unknown and she was always worried about him getting mad at her. She never wanted to do the wrong thing with him and I think that led her to being a lame duck as his sidekick. If you're too worried about saying the wrong thing, you're not going to want to say much of anything. A lot of Adam's points were just trying to get her to talk - to be more involved with the conversations. I think Alison (and a lot of his listeners) felt that Adam wanted control of the show and for her and Bryan to be a background voice. I think if they'd been able to have an open discussion about what exactly Adam wanted, she would have stepped up. But then again, he's right - if she's deferring to him to the point where not a lot of content is coming from her, it was the best decision to let her go. Alison has stated so many times that she gets uptight and shuts down when there is conflict (she's talked at length about it on her own show). It's how she is. Adam being a very mercurial person, I honestly understand how it didn't fit and work out.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

This is a good post I agree with.

It's also interesting how much Adam considers some other people an extension of himself.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One of Adam's cars was featured on Jay Leno's Garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQ2hoAIfd4&hd=1

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gina Grad apparently just got a gig on an LA morning show. Not sure what that means for her future on TACS.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Apparently Adam Carolla and Dennis Miller are teaming up for a new podcast called PO'd. Anyone brave enough to bite the bullet and give the show a listen to when it starts?

If this was pre 9/11 Dennis Miller circa his HBO talk show I would be genuinely excited.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

bartok posted:

Apparently Adam Carolla and Dennis Miller are teaming up for a new podcast called PO'd. Anyone brave enough to bite the bullet and give the show a listen to when it starts?

If this was pre 9/11 Dennis Miller circa his HBO talk show I would be genuinely excited.

This just might be more blowhard than my ears can take.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dennis Miller has become so much of a partisan one-sided idiotic hack since 9/11 that this sounds little better than Adam teaming up with any random FoxNews host. Hell, probably worse. Pre-9/11 Dennis Miller was loving amazing, though. His HBO show is worth watching still to this day.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

and people were worried about the LHC creating a singularity

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

First, if he keeps this up, he's going to have more podcasts than Chris Hardwick and Kevin Smith.

Second, that sounds horribly unappealing but I'm sure it will find it's audience. The thing that's kept me listening for so long is he hasn't gone full political, yet. Doing a show with Dennis Miller seems like a big step down that road.

Niwrad posted:

One of Adam's cars was featured on Jay Leno's Garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQ2hoAIfd4&hd=1
Thanks, that was really interesting, even though most of the car stuff is lost on me, it's fun to watch them gearhead out together.

He also showed up recently on Getting Doug with High:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r8vLPr1E2E

I never watched the show before, but it's entertaining, although for any stoners out there he doesn't seem to get very high. In Doug Benson's words to Ari Shaffir, who was also on the show, "Do you want to get high and listen to Adam talk for an hour?"

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I watched the Benson episode and I have to say that it was cringeworthy at best. I couldn't believe how awkward it was in all honesty. Then I saw comments about how it was one of the better episodes and I was just shocked. I almost couldn't watch it. ahah. It felt so uncomfortable!

bartok
May 10, 2006

Moniker posted:

I watched the Benson episode and I have to say that it was cringeworthy at best. I couldn't believe how awkward it was in all honesty. Then I saw comments about how it was one of the better episodes and I was just shocked. I almost couldn't watch it. ahah. It felt so uncomfortable!

I loving can't stand Doug Benson but I did listen because I enjoy Adam as a guest on other peoples podcast, especially his appearance on Sklarbro Country and Mohr Stories, and I had to bail due to the cringe factor.

I can't believe how enjoyable of a guest Doug Benson is on Comedy Bang Bang and just how loving awful he is doing anything else.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

bartok posted:

With these two opposing blowhards, they should have called the show "69".

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
"See this car? That's the car that rubber cunts bought."

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Wait Adam Carolla did ads for Fleshlight?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Wait Adam Carolla did ads for Fleshlight?

I don't think he ever did. Kevin Smith owned that market, though the thought of him humping away on one probably cost as many sales as it made

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
No but Jim Jefferies was on and he was excellent. You guys should download this one.

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary
Didn't Carolla shill for Adam & Eve a lot early on? Probably referencing that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Medullah posted:

I don't think he ever did. Kevin Smith owned that market, though the thought of him humping away on one probably cost as many sales as it made

I thought the same thing when Adam had Penn on to talk about his clitoris jets.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 22, 2015

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Just thought I'd jump in here to let you all know I'm about to put a strip of bright orange duct tape on my black leather wallet so I stop losing it on my desk.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The new girl they brought in was really good. She is much better than Gina Grad. Seemed more natural working with Adam and didn't have the fake radio sidekick thing going.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Niwrad posted:

Gina Grad apparently just got a gig on an LA morning show. Not sure what that means for her future on TACS.

We can be pretty sure that none of Adam's employees will be allowed to go on that show.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

ChaosMonkey posted:

Just thought I'd jump in here to let you all know I'm about to put a strip of bright orange duct tape on my black leather wallet so I stop losing it on my desk.

I got a brightly colored cell phone and it is awesome. Not the manliest look in the world but it really is a good idea.

Another pro tip: Go to the create a key desk at home depot and get a blaze orange (or other bright color) key for your house key. Best 3.99 you will ever spend.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ChaosMonkey posted:

I did one better and painted my cell phone with glow in the dark paint.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Irony in name aside, Allie can stay. She's cool in my book. Gina Grad is fairly terrible and doesn't get it.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Funny how dead this thread gets when there's not any drama. Maybe Adam was on to something when he fired Alison.

Also, here's a pic from a recent episode:

Dr. Drew has aged so much better than Adam. Eat a vegetable, Carolla.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Meatwave posted:

Funny how dead this thread gets when there's not any drama. Maybe Adam was on to something when he fired Alison.

Also, here's a pic from a recent episode:

Dr. Drew has aged so much better than Adam. Eat a vegetable, Carolla.

That Hesley chic was awesome as the news girl and riffing with Adam. Really makes you realize how lame Allison was.

Like Adam ever looked good.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

JB50 posted:

That Hesley chic was awesome as the news girl and riffing with Adam. Really makes you realize how lame Allison was.

Like Adam ever looked good.

Yeah I would not be surprised if she ends up being the new permanent replacement. She did a hell of a great job, especially for a first day.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

codyclarke posted:

Yeah I would not be surprised if she ends up being the new permanent replacement. She did a hell of a great job, especially for a first day.

I agree. She was really good. If improv is what he's after then he found someone who can roll with him (and make him look bad in all honesty).

I will say that I notice Dawson saying "In for Gina Grad on news" so I don't quite understand what's happening.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Catching up on these. Which Grandma died was a pretty good loving pull on Adam's part.

HotCarl
Aug 20, 2002
FUCK YOU,
GOT MINE
Anyone listen to the new ARIYNBF episodes? Now that the ACS employees are out, I'm afraid the podcast has gone to the shitter. I like Allison, but she needs to choose some better co-hosts. Jenna is still good as always, but Allison’s husband is pretty loving terrible at podcasting. I don't know if it is his lack of personality, or the fact he speaks less than Caelan did. I stopped listening to the episode when he was asked why he was being so quiet, and he said it was because he was holding the dog :raise:.

HotCarl fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 31, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So there's an actual embargo on her from Adam from the top saying that nobody who works at TACS or Ace Podcasting can go on her show? Nice guy, Carolla!

HotCarl
Aug 20, 2002
FUCK YOU,
GOT MINE

Apoplexy posted:

So there's an actual embargo on her from Adam from the top saying that nobody who works at TACS or Ace Podcasting can go on her show? Nice guy, Carolla!

I doubt Adam actually said anything, because that would require him to talk to his employees. Rather, I think the ACS crew know they are walking on thin ice all the time and think that if they continue to be on ARIYNBF, it would get them fired.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

HotCarl posted:

Anyone listen to the new ARIYNBF episodes? Now that the ACS employees are out, I'm afraid the podcast has gone to the shitter. I like Allison, but she needs to choose some better co-hosts. Jenna is still good as always, but Allison’s husband is pretty loving terrible at podcasting. I don't know if it is his lack of personality, or the fact he speaks less than Caelan did. I stopped listening to the episode when he was asked why he was being so quiet, and he said it was because he was holding the dog :raise:.

I agree the Thursday podcast is pretty drat boring at this point. I'm sure her husband is a nice guy but he is a total dud on the podcast front. Its not that those other four knuckleheads were hilarious or anything but the larger conversation sometimes made for fun/interesting listening.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

HotCarl posted:

I doubt Adam actually said anything, because that would require him to talk to his employees. Rather, I think the ACS crew know they are walking on thin ice all the time and think that if they continue to be on ARIYNBF, it would get them fired.

He's a good person not in need of therapy for his massive personality issues he radiates out.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Apoplexy posted:

He's a good person not in need of therapy for his massive personality issues he radiates out.

He doesn't have to feel bad about anything because he knows he's being fair, He's well-calibrated!

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

What Fun posted:

He doesn't have to feel bad about anything because he knows he's being fair, He's well-calibrated!

Listen, he used to splice tape with a razor blade...

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Apoplexy posted:

He kinda fired her for not wanting to be associated with ACE, why should she get to keep using his resources?

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

What, his Human Resources? PS that guy is druuunk today, it's kind of hard to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Adam was definitely feeling no pain in today's podcast. I thought it was hilarious. Not even anything he said, just his voice was so mellow.