Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Isn't it time for tryouts soon?

No word yet on the test. There's speculation that the big Sony hack might have scrambled their plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

HookShot posted:

God the three people tonight were idiots.

I like Trebek explaining to them like five year olds where the west side of South America is.
Ivory Coast. :cripes:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

That was another clue in a totally different category, asking about a country south of Morocco that was named for the origin of the Moors. Still, Cote d'Ivore was a terrible guess regardless.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Also "Trinidad and Tobago"

"I suck at this category so let's make it a true Daily Double please Alex"

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Val was one of the more...interesting contestants I've seen in a while.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

The Human Cow posted:

Val was one of the more...interesting contestants I've seen in a while.

I can't believe how much her hand was shaking during the game. I thought she looked like a poorly rendered video game character, personally.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Man it's gotta suck to get up there after so many tests and tryouts and be that nervous. I hope I do better whenever the call comes.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
dang another super-easy FJ tonight (lmao @ jackson pollock)

e: vvv haha yeah that was pretty great too

uublog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 9, 2015

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
"This Axis leader was captured trying to cross the Swiss Alps in 1945."

4-time Champion: "Hitler!"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Thank christ that guy lost

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sucrose posted:

"This Axis leader was captured trying to cross the Swiss Alps in 1945."

4-time Champion: "Hitler!"

The weird thing is I'm pretty sure the clue said they were trying to cross into Austria, but Mussolini was trying to get into Switzerland.

But yeah thank god for that guy finally losing, though watching him get his rear end kicked in the ToC would have been rewarding.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
ughhhhh Oliver Wendell Holmes died 20 years before Brown v. Board of Ed

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The category is "Broadway Musicals." The question is basically "What musical has a song called Iowa Stubborn?" You guess...Oklahoma.

It would be difficult to pick a musical that had less chance of being correct.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

zakharov posted:

The category is "Broadway Musicals." The question is basically "What musical has a song called Iowa Stubborn?" You guess...Oklahoma.

It would be difficult to pick a musical that had less chance of being correct.

I know nothing at all about musicals but I've heard of the musical Oklahoma and I know both it and Iowa are Midwestern states. I can see why it'd be your wild guess for that question.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

jojoinnit posted:

I know nothing at all about musicals but I've heard of the musical Oklahoma and I know both it and Iowa are Midwestern states. I can see why it'd be your wild guess for that question.

That was exactly why I chose "Oklahoma". We don't all have your masterful knowledge of musicals, zakharov!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I would have picked a musical not named after a different place entirely.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

zakharov posted:

I said South Pacific

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
See, now I thought it was State Fair. But I at least take solace in the fact that I got the T. E. Lawrence question from last night.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I said Oklahoma first, then Rodeo, but I'm not sure if Rodeo would strictly be considered a musical or not since I'm not really big on theatre to start with.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zakharov posted:

People from one place might have negative opinions re: the stubbornness of people from another place.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I put 'stop asking about goddamn musicals nobody likes them.'

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

jscolon2.0 posted:

People from one place might have negative opinions re: the stubbornness of people from another place.

Which is exactly what I thought. I've never seen Oklahoma, so I dunno. Iowa's not that far away.

mennoknight posted:

I put 'stop asking about goddamn musicals nobody likes them.'

In reality though, this.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I will never stop getting angry at people who don't wager to win, either on Daily Doubles or Final Jeopardy!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I will never stop getting angry at people who don't wager to win, either on Daily Doubles or Final Jeopardy!

Keith Williams shares your rage. I didn't think the wagers were that bad this time around on Final though. Guess I'll wait for The Final Wager to see what Keith makes of it.

Also, can't believe no one came up with the two auction houses, Christie's and Sotheby's. I immediately jumped on that once the question was read.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The final wagers were fine, but had the lady in the middle actually wagered to win on the Daily Double just before Final, she would have forced the champion to wager more, and possibly spoiled his win.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I literally paused my DVR to scream at my TV over that last Daily Double bet. When you bet small with a huge deficit and one clue to go, you have chosen to lose.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

The final wagers were fine, but had the lady in the middle actually wagered to win on the Daily Double just before Final, she would have forced the champion to wager more, and possibly spoiled his win.

zakharov posted:

I literally paused my DVR to scream at my TV over that last Daily Double bet. When you bet small with a huge deficit and one clue to go, you have chosen to lose.

Oh yeah, that. That was pretty bad.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I can't decide if this Rebecca lady is endearing because she is clearly pretty nervous, or just annoying.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

OctoberBlues posted:

I can't decide if this Rebecca lady is endearing because she is clearly pretty nervous, or just annoying.

SHE WAS THE WORST.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
An Academy Award winner from 1984 that starts with "A?" TITANIC :byodame:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I liked the "Is that Ogden Nash?" response that counted since it was still a question.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Was her name actually Rebeca with one C, or did she just not know how to spell her name?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MisterZimbu posted:

Was her name actually Rebeca with one C, or did she just not know how to spell her name?

My wife made the same joke :v:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Human Cow posted:

An Academy Award winner from 1984 that starts with "A?" TITANIC :byodame:

My wife and I literally screamed at the TV when she said that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I skimmed the last few pages, so forgive me if this has been covered, but Colby is going to be smirking all over your TV screen as one of the contestants on the new season of King of the Nerds on TBS.

I hate his face so much that I'll just have to watch it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Sorry, Colby haters are banned from this thread.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

I got THE CALL today, to an in-person interview up in Chicago sometime in the middle of March. (Technically this'll be my second time trying out: I advanced to the test/interviews/etc. for the College Championships in 2008, but they ended up picking up someone else from Mizzou--who went on to lose to some Notre Dame kid who was also from St Louis).

I'm starting the study of Shakespeare, opera and 18/19th century British writers now, the latter of which because the answer can't always be Sir Walter Scott.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think they did the online test this year, did they? Anyone know about plans for that?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

They haven't announced it yet. I assume it's related to the Sony hack, or maybe they just don't need to replenish the pool. If you go sign up for their newsletter you'll get the announcement.

Good luck Troy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Thanks! I was in the 2013 contestant pool, so just now able to retest. My hope is to make it on while Alex is still there :p