Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Kojima himself thought that MGS3 was gonna be the end of it, but when he got pressured into making more of them because they made so much loving money, something had to give. He simply decided that he was gonna make the coolest games he possibly could and to hell with his mythos.

There are folks who can't respect that and honestly that's just smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I don't even like MGS but kojima is pretty great

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kojima is alright

See? :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Kojima himself thought that MGS3 was gonna be the end of it, but when he got pressured into making more of them because they made so much loving money, something had to give. He simply decided that he was gonna make the coolest games he possibly could and to hell with his mythos.

There are folks who can't respect that and honestly that's just smdh

I thought people didn't like MGS4 because it followed canon too closely and went out of its way to reintroduce every surviving character, explain away practically every supernatural occurrence in the series with '''science''' and had multiple half hour plus cutscenes of people dryly talking about the mythos.

I kinda hope TPP is what you just described though

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I thought people didn't like MGS4 because 50 dollars is too much for a movie?

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I really like the idea of someone being a full generation of games behind and just getting a PS3 right now, you get a gigantic game library and everything is 5 bucks

I'm in that situation right now. I just got a PS3 last summer and I've been catching up on the last generation the entire time since. It's been an absolute blast

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought people didn't like MGS4 because it followed canon too closely and went out of its way to reintroduce every surviving character, explain away practically every supernatural occurrence in the series with '''science''' and had multiple half hour plus cutscenes of people dryly talking about the mythos.

also it was more cutscene than game, like seriously its ridiculous

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Nasgate posted:

I thought people didn't like MGS4 because 50 dollars is too much for a movie?

No, it's too much for a movie that doesn't make any loving sense and also you have to sit in the foyer before the movie starts watching a man smoke and shove the butts into a little metal tube.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Great Joe posted:

Kojima is alright

See? :v:

I'd like to believe that Lorraine Kelly was genuinely concerned about Kojima's welfare there.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Excels posted:

what is so great about twin peaks, whenever i hear about it peopel are either making fun of it or jizzing everywhere about how deep it is

It's basically a soap opera directed by David Lynch. As for the plot, it's sort of an expansion of the ideas in Blue Velvet, about how in otherwise idyllic small town life there's something huge and horrible lurking right beneath the surface.

If you liked Blue Velvet you would probably like Twin Peaks.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Twin Peaks was great for the incidental weirdness that they never really went into. It had some nice characters too, like Andy the Deputy. And Sherilyn Fenn had world class tits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Elder Scroll update: I'm getting toward the end of the Oblivion quests but I can't get my Speechcraft score up and I can't find any of the things for the Museum of Oddities. Most of what I have left to do are the scavenger hunt things like finding all the Nirnroot or getting 100 calipers and tongs.

Also, I played a little bit of Arena because I got sick and had to stay in bed with my laptop. It was kind of fun. I got to the first town, which was Windhelm for me, and literally couldn't find my way out of the city.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
mgs4 was supposed to end with snake shooting himself which he would have been perfectly within his rights to do after the years upon years of total bullshit he was put through.

from then onwards kojima didn't really give half a poo poo about the lore, which is why big boss gets a robot arm several decades in the past

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Steampunk Gent posted:

People liked MGS4

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

MGS4 was good, but disappointing.

They created such a good engine but only gave you 1-2 environments to play around with. TPP should be much better in this regard with it being open world-ish.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Honestly, the homoerotic old man fight Sim and the giant robot combat redeem all the bad parts of MGS4

Though it was weird beating it in two days of almost straight playing. Then beating it in 3 hours by skipping all the cutscenes.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MGS 4 is good despite its flaws. The only mainline MGS I didn't like was Peace Walker.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

club nintendo is shutting down

so if you have any codes or coins to waste, you should get on that before the end of february

tokyo_vamp
Jan 17, 2015

poisoned by cowboy killers

Accordion Man posted:

MGS 4 is good despite its flaws. The only mainline MGS I didn't like was Peace Walker.

Only thing I really dislike about MGS4 is how the story shits the bed at the end to a degree I didn't even expect MGS ever to. I even liked some of the parts people really hated, like the tail sequence in Act 3.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
like this if u cry every microwave corridor

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Otacon crying into a macbook pro webcam while snake crawled through a microwave might be the most powerful moment in games.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Excels posted:

club nintendo is shutting down

so if you have any codes or coins to waste, you should get on that before the end of february

Something new is taking its place. No one knows what it is yet though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
MGS4 is a lot of great small games poorly stitched into one game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

incidentally if anyone has codes from wii u / 3DS game cases give them to me, so i can get Super Metroid on VC

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
i am lightning

the rain transformed

and then a couple of years i got to play that game and chopped up a bunch of bullshit cyborgs and robots.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I just got a wiiu, what games should I get?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Problem Sleuth posted:

the ones that nintendo published.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Problem Sleuth posted:

bayonetta 2
smash
silent hill for the wii 1

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Problem Sleuth posted:

you could read off the full wii u library in the time it took to ask

also a lot of people may recommend mario kart 8 but even with DLC, i don't like it that much, get mario 3D Land or Tropical Freeze instead.

MK8 feels like 60% of a whole game, like the rest wasn't done and they didn't have time to finish

or bayonetta 2

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zombii u

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What exactly is missing from MK8(never played it)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What exactly is missing from MK8(never played it)

- really lopsided roster, five babies, no bowser jr (but all the other koopalings)
- peach takes up four spots on the list (peach, baby, catpeach and pink-gold peach)
- 3 DLCs sit on roster but won't actually be tangible until May
- tracks are loving gorgeous but once you get bored of them there is literally nothing else
- no maps specifically for battle mode, you just hover around the item boxes on pre-existing tracks and hope you can hit people
- you don't even get a cutscene for winning a grand prix, just a rotating trophy over your stats

-every map is geared around being really good at drifting, no mini-turbos or snaking or any fun strats from older games, you just drift, always

Excels fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 21, 2015

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

your mileage may vary on the whole mercedes-benz sponsorship thing, but if you are inclined, there are some free DLC cars from them, and it's likely thanks to them that the game looks as good as it does

although the level of polish on the graphics might have something to do with why they had no time to work on other modes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Problem Sleuth posted:

hyrule warriors.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Excels posted:

you could read off the full wii u library in the time it took to ask

also a lot of people may recommend mario kart 8 but even with DLC, i don't like it that much, get mario 3D Land or Tropical Freeze instead.

MK8 feels like 60% of a whole game, like the rest wasn't done and they didn't have time to finish

or bayonetta 2

you're dumb, MK8 is amazing even if the battle mode is poo poo

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

you're dumb, MK8 is amazing even if the battle mode is poo poo

yeah it's a great game it just feels kind of shallow after a while. once you know the route on each stage it gets a little monotonous, and when you're in first you get nothing but coins and bananas. it's dumb and i miss a lot of the old items

literally anything would be better than that dumb as gently caress blooper.

the DLC stages are loving awesome though, love the Hyrule Circuit

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sega all stars was a better racing kart game

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Semper Blur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Sega all stars was a better racing kart game

too loving hard to unlock all the characters but i really like the music and stage design.

• Locked thread