Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I just registered Smash Wii U and got no coins. Just a warning.
Same for Persona Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can get a friend if you get rainbow curse

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ultigonio posted:

I don't believe people have gotten coins from SMG2.

It came out before 1/20, should give coins. It did for me, 20 coins.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Death Priest posted:

I just registered Smash Wii U and got no coins. Just a warning.
Same for Persona Q.

I wouldn't expect it to work right for at least a week.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh gently caress I was planning on getting Punch Out and Metroid Trilogy to round up my last 60 coins (assuming 20 for buying and 10 for survey) welp, guess I have to get Captain Toad, then.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh gently caress I was planning on getting Punch Out and Metroid Trilogy to round up my last 60 coins (assuming 20 for buying and 10 for survey) welp, guess I have to get Captain Toad, then.

You're already treasure tracking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Yes, that's it. Blow all your coins and stars now so there'll be plenty of stock left of whatever new prizes they release in the final months. It's all a waiting game now, and I have all the time and stars in the world :smuggo:.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah, that was my bad. The last I'd heard, it had been a few days and people still hadn't gotten surveys for SMG2.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, that was my bad. The last I'd heard, it had been a few days and people still hadn't gotten surveys for SMG2.

The real question is people getting surveys for Punch Out or Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I've never used my Club Nintendo coins before but just now tried to get Legend of Zelda for 3DS. Are you supposed to get an email afterward with a code? Does it take a really long time (maybe especially now since their servers are probably nuts now)?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
When you spend the coins it takes you to a screen with the code. It also keeps a copy of the code in your account history so you can look it up latter once the servers aren't slammed. You have until the end of march to claim coins and spend them so everyone should just chill out for a week until the rush is over.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cloks posted:

The real question is people getting surveys for Punch Out or Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Maybe not because Punch Out will be 1/22 and Metroid Prime Trilogy is 1/29, after the cutoff.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well I'm gonna redeem some coins for NES Zelda and see how this goes

Don't look anything up online, just keep a piece of paper and pencil nearby. 90% of the game's enjoyment comes from discovering stuff on the map - anyone who tells you to download a map doesn't understand what makes the game fun at all

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
NES Zelda and Metroid would both benefit from gamepad map-making functionality

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The bullshit of Metroid is that a bunch of areas are completely identical. At least in Zelda there's probably varying geography and monsters to let you know you're in hallway A and not hallway B or C.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, that's it. Blow all your coins and stars now so there'll be plenty of stock left of whatever new prizes they release in the final months. It's all a waiting game now, and I have all the time and stars in the world :smuggo:.

I spent most of my coins on that dumb NES Remix shirt figuring it'd be the best thing to buy on Club Nintendo for a year. :( I'll probably have enough for a single game when I get Captain Toad so I hope they don't Sophie's Choice me.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Zelda originally came with a partial map on the NES anyway. It's good for getting started if you don't want to just be dumped in blind. The whole manual's actually really great: http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Zelda/Zelda.pdf

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Don't look anything up online, just keep a piece of paper and pencil nearby. 90% of the game's enjoyment comes from discovering stuff on the map - anyone who tells you to download a map doesn't understand what makes the game fun at all

The fun was less discovering it all on your own and more sharing what you find with others and exchanging info. Trying to find everything on your own will burn you out faster than the bushes you're burning in your trial-and-error mission to find a hidden heart container/dungeon.

I'd say play as much as you can without a guide, but at the same time don't hesitate to look things up if you get stuck or feel lost for too long. The game gives very little guidance and a lot of what it does give you is poorly translated and/or wrong - (Dungeon 2 "spoilers") I guarantee that nobody reads "Dodongo dislikes smoke" and immediately thinks to drop bombs in front of him.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Surlaw posted:

Zelda originally came with a partial map on the NES anyway. It's good for getting started if you don't want to just be dumped in blind. The whole manual's actually really great: http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Zelda/Zelda.pdf

Man, I wish we still had manuals like this.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Do only recent games work, or is now finally the time to cash in all my Wii and DS games?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Bummed about the closing of Club Nintendo. I was sure I'd get Platinum this year via Yoshi and Kirby. No dice now. :(

Also, still haven't gotten coins from SMG2.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

F. Lobot posted:

Do only recent games work, or is now finally the time to cash in all my Wii and DS games?

List of eligible products is here:

https://club.nintendo.com/eligible-products.do

Most first party Nintendo games from liiiike 2009(?) on are eligible.

I would wait a while until the servers are no longer taking a poo poo, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Astro7x posted:

Well now the website says

"Dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items will be added to the rewards catalog in February."

I can dig that. No point in putting up a few games here or there from now until July. Makes me even want to hold off on getting Super Mario Land knowing that they are probably going to offer it again in February.

Everything that's there now is sticking around until the bitter end, they're just going to be adding more stuff. There's literally no good reason to rush to spend your coins right now.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Fly with me posted:

I like the part where there's a swastika in the manual (appropriately) labeled "manji" with no further explanation. You figure it out, kids at home!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Paper Triangle posted:

I like the part where there's a swastika in the manual (appropriately) labeled "manji" with no further explanation. You figure it out, kids at home!

It's a happy swastika though, so I am less interested.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Astro7x posted:

Well now the website says

"Dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items will be added to the rewards catalog in February."

I can dig that. No point in putting up a few games here or there from now until July. Makes me even want to hold off on getting Super Mario Land knowing that they are probably going to offer it again in February.

Ah gently caress now I regret getting original Legend of Zelda. Welp time to go dig out all my old game boxes and start registering

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wait did I seriously miss out on the 3DS game cases? Whyyyyyy? :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
They've been there for a while, usually sell out way quicker

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Looper posted:

They've been there for a while, usually sell out way quicker

Yeah, the discontinuation announcement was the catalyst selling out the last set because they've been available for the past few weeks.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm surprised the Smash Bros. poster set is still available. It's been there for months. I can only assume a lot of people just don't have 700 coins to blow on it. Then again, the only one of the three worth a poo poo is the Villager one. I guess the colors of the Rosalina one are nice. The Palutena one... nope.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think people were holding out for the better poster designs to arrive. Like, the Robin/Lucina newcomer artwork is the best of the bunch and people would probably snatch up a poster of that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

enojy posted:

I'm surprised the Smash Bros. poster set is still available. It's been there for months. I can only assume a lot of people just don't have 700 coins to blow on it. Then again, the only one of the three worth a poo poo is the Villager one. I guess the colors of the Rosalina one are nice. The Palutena one... nope.

I would've liked them more if the combination of characters in them were better. Like for instance I would've been all about that Rosalina poster except Fox is there, which is like pouring garbage in the middle of a field of flowers.

Also I would've liked a Bowser + Bowser Jr + Koopalings group poster

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think people were holding out for the better poster designs to arrive. Like, the Robin/Lucina newcomer artwork is the best of the bunch and people would probably snatch up a poster of that.

That's the one I really wanted. It looks the best of the bunch. Yusuke Kozaki's art is seriously so good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I would have loved one of Robin/Lucina, or maybe a Little Mac one. I have the posters but they're all still sitting in the tube because they're just not great. Someday I may hang up the Rosalina one, but we'll see.

I actually thought the Palutena one looked fine online, but in person it looks really dumb.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So am i right in thinking that the wii points card available as a reward on the uk club nintendo are only redeemable on the wii store and not the wii u store or are they one in the same?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, Walmart screwed up a few listings:

Smash - $41.05
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Smash-Brothers-Wii-U/39127358

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - $34.19
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Donkey-Kong-Country-Tropical-Freeze-Wii-U/28829864

NES Remix - $21.12
http://www.walmart.com/ip/NES-Remix-Pack-Wii-U/39969685

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Fly with me posted:

I miss old school video game manuals. They would have pictures of all the levels and enemies and stuff and had some cool artwork. I remember Super Mario Bros. 3 and Kirby's Adventure having particularly cool manuals.

Paper Triangle posted:

IIRC one of the dungeons' layout is literally a swastika. That's uh... awkward. And they're still selling the game on VC and stuff. I'm surprised nobody has called up Nintendo and complained.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Guilty Gear Xrd which is not a wii u game has a good manual. Thanks anime!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Gammatron 64 posted:

I miss old school video game manuals. They would have pictures of all the levels and enemies and stuff and had some cool artwork. I remember Super Mario Bros. 3 and Kirby's Adventure having particularly cool manuals.

IIRC one of the dungeons' layout is literally a swastika. That's uh... awkward. And they're still selling the game on VC and stuff. I'm surprised nobody has called up Nintendo and complained.

The swastika symbol has been around for thousands of years before Hitler appropriated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The swastika symbol has been around for thousands of years before Hitler appropriated it.

Ye-es, but he did appropriate the poo poo out of it.

• Locked thread