Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Drew Henson was better than Brady in college.

He was worse when they were both in school, which is why Brady had way more snaps both years. They did that weird thing where Brady would start, Henson would play the second quarter and then they'd go with whoever had done the best in the second half and it was usually Brady. His junior year was a lot better than any season Brady had though, and his senior year probably would have been even better than that. Michigan would have been really good in 01 if you sub Henson for Navarre and Navarre wasn't even really that bad.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Even if you just count Big Ten play I think he still cracks like the Top 5 or something. Woody and Bo have more, Hayden barely has more, and I think that might be it.

It's Schembechler, Hayes, Paterno, Fry, Alvarez, Tressel, and no one else comes close after that.

Stagg would be #1 if you wanted to count Chicago.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sash! posted:

And we do because funny stats like that are the best.

Kind of like Princeton's national championships. Get on Princeton's level, Alabama.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

It's Schembechler, Hayes, Paterno, Fry, Alvarez, Tressel, and no one else comes close after that.

Fry has one more conference win than Paterno unless Wikipedia is wrong. Alvarez, Tressel, and Ferentz are like 30ish wins behind those two. Stagg is a good call though, I forgot about him. He has more than everyone except Schembechler and Hayes.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 20, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
You guys think Spurrier has another 20 seasons or so in him so he can rightfully get that record?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

OSU beat writer Tim May confirmed with the school that Braxton Miller is enrolled for the spring semester. It's obviously not 100% indicative of anything, but I'd think if he was going to leave to play QB somewhere else, he'd try to be there for spring ball. He graduated in December, so this isn't a matter of needing a degree before he can transfer without sitting out.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Fry has one more conference win than Paterno unless Wikipedia is wrong. Alvarez, Tressel, and Ferentz are like 30ish wins behind those two. Stagg is a good call though, I forgot about him. He has more than everyone except Schembechler and Hayes.

Oh ok, I was counting straight wins not just in conference. I think everyone else stays in the same order otherwise, in conference or total.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Let's take a quick look at B1G posting legend Dattserberg.

Sure he never went to a Big Ten school, but he grew up in Michigan and post a decent amount about UM football. Today we honor him for the Legend that he is, was, and ever shall be, B1G without end. Amen.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dattserberg posted:

Let's take a quick look at B1G posting legend Dattserberg.

Sure he never went to a Big Ten school, but he grew up in Michigan and post a decent amount about UM football. Today we honor him for the Legend that he is, was, and ever shall be, B1G without end. Amen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-4ltQs29Y

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Detroit_Dogg posted:

You guys think Spurrier has another 20 seasons or so in him so he can rightfully get that record?

He just needs to steal Philosopher's Stone from Snyder to do so.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

sportsgenius86 posted:

OSU beat writer Tim May confirmed with the school that Braxton Miller is enrolled for the spring semester. It's obviously not 100% indicative of anything, but I'd think if he was going to leave to play QB somewhere else, he'd try to be there for spring ball. He graduated in December, so this isn't a matter of needing a degree before he can transfer without sitting out.

If he's staying the only logical offense is a Miller/Barrett/Jones triple option, right?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

swickles posted:

He just needs to steal Philosopher's Stone from Snyder to do so.

Snyder is a loving purple wizard, and he is terrifying.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Bobby Bowden wants in on this NCAA forgiveness thing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

gently caress Bobby Bowden.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah Bobby, but your wins were vacated because your dipshit players were academically ineligible something that might actually be under the NCAA jurisdiction

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dattserberg posted:

Yeah Bobby, but your wins were vacated because your dipshit players were academically ineligible something that might actually be under the NCAA jurisdiction

Aw, shucks. Boyahs will be boyahs.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He needs to have head coaching stints at Auburn and GT for the circuit to be complete.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

I'm not sticking up for him at all. He let some pretty heinous poo poo go, but he didn't protect and enable a serial child rapist

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dattserberg posted:

I'm not sticking up for him at all. He let some pretty heinous poo poo go, but he didn't protect and enable a serial child rapist
There is a thread for this. It is not this thread.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
This is actually Bobby Bowden discussion and how much better he is than Joe Paterno.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Detroit_Dogg posted:

This is actually Bobby Bowden discussion and how much better he is than Joe Paterno.
Sure, talk about how Bobby Bowden, the coach, is better than Joe Paterno, the coach. Such things are perfect, pleasant fare for the offseason thread. If you wanna talk about Bobby Bowden the person versus Joe Paterno the person, there's a Joe Paterno thread.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dattserberg posted:

I know. I just can't resist making GBS threads on him whenever I can. He is probably a better person than JoePa. But at best he's a willfully ignorant, snake-oil salesman and it warmed my heart to watch him nearly destroy the FSU empire he created.

So, to close the loop: gently caress Bobby Bowden.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Bobby Bowden is cool as hell, a better coach than Joe Paterno, also a better person than Joe Paterno.

His sons loving suck though.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Bobby Bowden is cool as hell, a better coach than Joe Paterno, also a better person than Joe Paterno.

His sons loving suck though.

They suck but they are also better than Joe Paterno's sons.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The best part is that Bowden/Paterno record is 1-1, making it completely impossible to use W/L as a metric. Although Bowden has four more points.

PSU-FSU should never play again, to preserve the perfect 1-1-1 record for all time.

Now I'm curious who else has a 1-1-1 series record. That has to be a vanishing small group.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Now I'm curious who else has a 1-1-1 series record. That has to be a vanishing small group.

I'd imagine it's not unheard of for some super old series where they would never ever play past like 1915. Apparently Missouri has an 0-1-1 record against Ottawa University so all they have to do is schedule an NAIA team to match.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

UGA is evidently 1-1-1 against Centre, which is now in Division 3.

E: This site is a good resource for finding this kind of stuff

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I was using that too, the really old stuff is fun to look at. Kansas is 1-1 all time against the KCMO YMCA.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Arizona is 1-1-1 against Nebraska, so that's another pair of FBS teams with that record.

EDIT: Oh man I'm looking at Nebraska's and I was reminded of their ASU loss back in the 90s. I only remember it because some local told me his story about driving out to Arizona to watch the game and that, boy, I must've been so happy to watch Nebraska lose, being an Arizona fan and all...

EDIT #2: Holy poo poo Nebraska has wins over Fort Omaha Balloon School!

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 21, 2015

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

For some reason Georgia Southern hasn't been updated as FBS on winsipedia, which seems like a shame.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@APMarkLong: Gators announce plans for indoor practice facility. Last team in SEC to get one

maybe that will help recruiting :-/

Pics here:

http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=29562

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Recruiting has never been Florida's problem.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Regnevelc posted:

Recruiting has never been Florida's problem.

It is now.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Their facilities were legitimately lagging behind all their rivals though and they need an indoor facility to make sure that kids don't die

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Florida Recruiting

2012 - #3 Class
2013 - #4 Class
2014 - #9 Class

I mean sure. You're going through a coaching change (with a relatively underwhelming hire with regards to name) so of course you're not going to have a ton of recruits right now.

If your new staff can develop players, you'll be very good in 2 years.

Same with Michigan (although Harbaugh and co has a more proven track record).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Regnevelc posted:

Florida Recruiting

2012 - #3 Class
2013 - #4 Class
2014 - #9 Class

I mean sure. You're going through a coaching change (with a relatively underwhelming hire with regards to name) so of course you're not going to have a ton of recruits right now.

If your new staff can develop players, you'll be very good in 2 years.

Same with Michigan (although Harbaugh and co has a more proven track record).

Even if we are struggling just because of the coaching change, it's ridiculous to be the last team in the SEC without an indoor facility.

Especially in Florida where weather is a factor that affects so many practice sessions.

Also kids like shiny new things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

UGA is evidently 1-1-1 against Centre, which is now in Division 3.

E: This site is a good resource for finding this kind of stuff

I was looking for my tiny liberal arts college's record against Ohio State and found that the Buckeyes went 5-6-1 against Western Reserve (16-16-3 if you add in their record against Case before the schools merged) :laugh:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

Even if we are struggling just because of the coaching change, it's ridiculous to be the last team in the SEC without an indoor facility.

Especially in Florida where weather is a factor that affects so many practice sessions.

Also kids like shiny new things.

It's ridiculous to be last in anything where your peer group includes Mississippi.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was looking for my tiny liberal arts college's record against Ohio State and found that the Buckeyes went 5-6-1 against Western Reserve (16-16-3 if you add in their record against Case before the schools merged) :laugh:

I went to Western Reserve Academy (the prep school that remained when Western Reserve moved to Cleveland and became Case), and this makes me very happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News:

Views: Of loving course it was.

• Locked thread