Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I've tried fireworks as sneaky corner lures and more than half of the time the lighting and throwing of the firework puts the guards on red alert, charging for my position. I honestly don't know if this is a bug or a feature.

I also miss double assassinations.

Fireworks are awful. There are so many reasons, including what you've listed. Gotta buy them or scavenge them in the first place, gotta take the time to charge the button and choose where to drop the thing, gotta hope against hope that the enemies will actually walk in the direction of the noise... I've used many firecrackers and have just had the enemies infinitely stare blankly where I threw the bomb, not bothering to get close and actually inspect the sound. Other times they completely ignore the gigantic BOOM that happened within five feet of their eardrums.

All this does is make it even more apparent how much better of a feature Whistling is. Infinite uses, instant, and always got the attention of guards well enough that they would ramble over to see what the hell's making noise. It was a simple idea that they broke for no discernable reason. It's not like they couldn't have cherry bombs and whistling in the same game.

I would also like to point out while I'm complaining that Arno is really drat slow at knocking out enemies. I am once again reminded of how much I miss being able to completely sheathe weapons, relying only on fists at all times. Made non-lethal stealth so much simpler.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTomnus
Oct 21, 2010

Malleus Maleficarum

Kin posted:

Applied to LGSA as remnantkinn to see what all the fuss is about while i do this free DLC.

Also applied to join as Walter_Kruger.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something the game really could have used was a short optional video running down the various parts of the revolution. As is they just kind of throw people, factions and events at you and expect you to just look up the info on your own.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

muscles like this? posted:

Something the game really could have used was a short optional video running down the various parts of the revolution. As is they just kind of throw people, factions and events at you and expect you to just look up the info on your own.

whats worse is all the enemy factions are just the San culottes "rebel" dudes, even when it doesnt make senses. at least change the hosed voice clips. when a "royalist" dude is screaming "kill the royalist" or "bloody conservative" it ruins my lovely history immersion.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Well, this is something the series always did, hence the big database entries that explain what's up. That said, the Revolution barely matters to this game, which makes it a little weird and confusing. Like, this game could have basically taken place at any point in history, and the only thing that would change would be the names.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, this is something the series always did, hence the big database entries that explain what's up. That said, the Revolution barely matters to this game, which makes it a little weird and confusing. Like, this game could have basically taken place at any point in history, and the only thing that would change would be the names.

But people got mad that Connor Forrest Gumped the American Revolution :confused:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah... I'm fine with the Revolution being the setting, but not having a large influence on the plot of the story. AC3's plot where Connor spearheads every single American victory was dumb as poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Beat Unity and I am at 99% synced. I had fun on the PS4 and after the first couple of patches the framerate was fine save for a few gigantic crowds.

Arno is no Ezio for sure, but he's a lot better than Conner so theres at least that.

edit* Screw engrams, those things where awful and I used youtube videos for them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

hiddenriverninja posted:

But people got mad that Connor Forrest Gumped the American Revolution :confused:

3 d did it shittly. he shows up for 3 battles and you don't really do poo poo. I think the AC games are do poorly when they focus on specific large events(crusades, american revolution, french and indian war) they do better when are given a general era or time period (Renaissance, borgia era, golden age of piracy and to lesser extent french revolution) Like ezio is integral in stopping the pazzi conspiracy. all the assasisns creed games forrest gump, some just do it better then others.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hell I've played half a dozen of these games now and can't really tell you what the goals of the Templars/Assassins are or what their difference is beyond some vague freedom vs control thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Hell I've played half a dozen of these games now and can't really tell you what the goals of the Templars/Assassins are or what their difference is beyond some vague freedom vs control thing.

Templars want to control the world under the belief that people need to be controlled in order to keep them safe. Assassins fight for complete freedom, even if that freedom is dangerous, and so they oppose the Templars and anyone who tries to enforce control. That's basically it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And no one's meaningfully called out the assassins over their policies being super dumb and retarded

EDIT: whoa wait maybe Rogue does it? And at least in 3 Conner was willing to listen to the templars from what I recall.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 19, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

AC Liberation isn't a very good game, but it does some pretty interesting things with templar vs assassin philosophies. A hell of a lot better than the hocus pocus secret society poo poo in Unity.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

And no one's meaningfully called out the assassins over their policies being super dumb and retarded

EDIT: whoa wait maybe Rogue does it? And at least in 3 Conner was willing to listen to the templars from what I recall.

Kenway, Haytham, and Conor all do it at some point.

Arno and Ezio don't really give a gently caress about it, since they're more focused on revenge vs philosophical debate.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Went around collecting all the bicorns, progress tracker said I had 100%, outfit didn't unlock. :suicide:

That's two outfits now that have glitched out that I can't wear. Still haven't gotten my Edward Kenway outfit, so I guess no hope at all of every getting to dress in the suave military coat I was looking so forward to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Calaveron posted:

In Rogue Shay doesn't have so much a philosophical problem as a specific issue with Achilles and how he his running the American Brotherhood. Basically Achilles is messing around with Precursor sites that cause earthquakes when disturbed.

The thing about both groups is that they are fairly similar up until the 20th Century when the whole Abstergo stuff starts taking off. Its only then that the Templars really go off the deep end in their desire to make men into little robots, all obeying without question.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The thing about both groups is that they are fairly similar up until the 20th Century when the whole Abstergo stuff starts taking off. Its only then that the Templars really go off the deep end in their desire to make men into little robots, all obeying without question.

Meanwhile in the modern age, the Assassins are basically entrapping innocent bystanders and potentially leaving them in a state of braindeath to thwart Abstergo.

But it's ok because they had the freedom to join with the crazy hacker and consented.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like to kill whole squads one by one in Unity from behind a door cover where every kill lures the next dude to come to the door because the combat system is hilariously broken both against and in favor of the player.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Bugs and story aside, is AC:U fun?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

idiotmeat posted:

As somebody who is REALLY enjoying turning off the HUD and just wandering around the gorgeously detailed streets and taking in the crowds, no, not really. It reminds me of AC1, in that everything feels kinda rough and prototypey, except with the added bonus of bullshit cross-connectivity stuff that means that I can't let my gaming OCD take over because I have to complete some arbitrary poo poo on an app just to open a chest.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

As somebody who is REALLY enjoying turning off the HUD and just wandering around the gorgeously detailed streets and taking in the crowds, no, not really. It reminds me of AC1, in that everything feels kinda rough and prototypey, except with the added bonus of bullshit cross-connectivity stuff that means that I can't let my gaming OCD take over because I have to complete some arbitrary poo poo on an app just to open a chest.

drat, that's a shame. How about Rogue, is it more of the same as AC4? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed AC4 but if I wanted to play AC4 I'd play AC4.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's more of the same AC4. It's very good and polished but still.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

idiotmeat posted:

drat, that's a shame. How about Rogue, is it more of the same as AC4? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed AC4 but if I wanted to play AC4 I'd play AC4.

I'd say it's AC4.1.

The gameplay is very similar but all the maps, characters, and story are different. I actually enjoyed it more than AC4 personally but your mileage may vary.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

idiotmeat posted:

Depends. What do you find fun in AC games? I've had a lot of fun in Unity and still am, but this is probably the most subjective question you could ask about the game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I like AC:U and I think it's bad. It's a weak game with boring combat, tiring grind and mechanics that are all a step back from the previous games. Still I dig this kind of grind so it's an enjoyable game. If this makes any sense to you then go ahead and buy it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I completed both AC:U and deadkings to 100% and had fun, although I really think your milage may vary. It's really easy to become overwhelmed with all the collection items. The story was decent I thought, but the fighting was garbage, and after you get some decent equipment that can hold 10+ arrows, 9+ ammo, and 12+ smoke bombs, you pretty much become invincible.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I just got Shadow of Mordor and it's really great, aside from the fantasy setting, it's exactly what Assassins Creed would be like if it was actually a good game. I mean it's not without it's flaws of course but it's essentially an AC game without all of the annoyances.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I picked up AC: Unity for free in an Xbone bundle around the holidays, by which point, MOST of the games headline-grabbing bugs had been patched out. Also came with Black Flag, which I already beat pretty handily on 360, so I haven't been super keen to go back and do it again, especially after getting used to the more detailed worldbuilding and crowds that Unity is able to do. At the very least, it's aesthetically pleasing to see such large crowds rendered - particularly during some of the missions that took place near the guillotines. Generally, I try to just get really stoned and wander around the game, patiently attempting missions in as realistic a manner as I can pull off. It's been fun for the most part, but for reasons that goons have already articulated well in this thread, I have just sort of lost interest. I think I'm literally at the beginning of the last plot mission of the game, and I'm just kind of playing other stuff instead. Now that Dead Kings is out, I guess I can go back in and beat the main story and go right into the DLC, which will maybe help it flow a bit better, but sigh.

I can honestly see myself just passing on the Victorian London game coming out down the road. It seems like I'm going to be busy playing Arkham City for months and months, and I'm sick of giving Ubisoft a pass.

sidenote: I remember feeling kind of creeped out and grateful that I don't work for Ubisoft after playing the real-life parts of Black Flag where you're tromping around the Abstergo Entertainment offices. Some of the stuff they put into these games is so strangely meta, or a little off the mark, and it's just like... how self-aware are you people, really? How do you keep letting games like this come out? What's going on?

AwkwardKnob fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 20, 2015

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

idiotmeat posted:

It's O.K. Pick it up for 19,99 next year or whatever. You're not missing out on anything.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Haha, so they released a DLC of all the preorder stuff. Too bad it was a bunch of boring, terrible missions and some low-tier gear that nobody ever used.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

macnbc posted:

I'd say it's AC4.1.

The gameplay is very similar but all the maps, characters, and story are different. I actually enjoyed it more than AC4 personally but your mileage may vary.

I really wish they would have made Rogue the setpiece game, fleshed it out a little more, released it for PS4/Xbone and put Unity back in the oven for a year.

I wonder if next year's Victory is going to be (a) delayed or (b) a disaster.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
It'll probably have a much smoother launch than Unity, if history is any indication—compare the glitchiness of launch day AC3 compared to Black Flag, which ran pretty smoothly from the beginning. They'll have the time to work out most of the kinks of this engine and current-gen consoles, I bet.

That said, I'd be pretty happy if they delayed it. I personally had very few glitches and I really enjoyed Unity, but it shouldn't have been released yet. If they don't learn from the reviews, maybe they'll learn from the stock price dropping.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

effervescible posted:

That said, I'd be pretty happy if they delayed it. I personally had very few glitches and I really enjoyed Unity, but it shouldn't have been released yet. If they don't learn from the reviews, maybe they'll learn from the stock price dropping.

I think if nothing else they learned from the millions of dollars they flushed down the toilet with the free DLC and free game make-good giveaway to season pass holders.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So nobody has been able to figure out how to just hack all the armor as available yet, have they?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

So nobody has been able to figure out how to just hack all the armor as available yet, have they?
I don't think anyone even cares to try.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't get why almost every game mechanic has been taken a step back from Black Flag. Except for parkour. It's as if they never played that game or something. Even the animals: they're exactly the same models as before but you can't pet them because gently caress you :sigh:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

The inner workings of the Anvil engine are weird. By the time AC2/B/R all used a certain build of the engine that was slightly upgraded with each release. I very much enjoyed how the games controlled by the end. Then AC3 was released as a glitchy mess with an updated build of Anvil- had lots of new touches, but neglected to bother with many of the additions the other teams had added to Brotherhood and Revelations.

AC4 was released with an updated engine based on AC3's design and it's pretty clear they did some tremendous work to update it all. And now here we are with Unity and yet another build of the anvil engine, likely because they were racking their brains over how to add more in-depth stealth and downwards parkour. And with that, they forget all about some of the other previous gameplay additions they had made like whistling. It's just really like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

They need to get rid of a lot of the bloat for the next game, and I'm not talking about the pointless collectibles that riddle every single Ubisoft open world game like the chests. The ~~side quests~~ (Paris Stories) can barely be called that since they're so banal that they feel like they were made by bored high schoolers in a mission editor. Same for the co-op missions which are nothing special once you remove the co-op element - I can't believe they replaced the pretty good hide and seek multiplayer mode they had with these piles of poo poo. The enigma codes are all pointless and only serve to unlock armour which you won't need by the point you do them all. The side missions where you steal money are equally pointless if you decide to do the handful of social club missions that make it generate a ton of money every 15 minutes. The crime cases are all so braindead and just like the side quests so amateur that they feel like they were made by a group of bored people during a weekend.
I don't see why they brought Potions back, if they tried to make the combat harder why not keep the regenerating health when you're not in it? Right now you can spam smoke bombs and use Potions if you happen to get hurt which renders it even more trivial.
Whistling shouldn't have been removed at all, all it does is create busy work having to buy firecrackers from vendors.
The clothing options are fun from a dress-up perspective but pointless otherwise since you'll end up saving for high-end gear and not the 30 lovely ones on the list.
Unless you unlock something other than an achievement by doing all of them, the side objectives in main missions are now utterly pointless to do since they don't seem to unlock anything.
Coming from Black Flag and Rogue the colour filter in this game is pretty jarring too, those games have good variety in environment design, this has an almost constant piss yellow colour filter and seemingly no weather effects whatsoever.

I'm playing Rogue and Unity back to back and while the former is shorter and has less content I'll take the Far Cry-style outpost and Assassin interception missions it has over Unity's awful content any day.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I actually think the co-op missions are the best addition to the series. The're finally hard enough to feel like they're the endgame this game never had being a piss-easy rollercoaster ride. I never liked the old multiplayer anyway.

I also have nothing against the murder cases and Enigmas - they're both pretty original for the series and the Enigmas actually add a layer of learning history through environmnents that were previously pretty dead.

The Paris stories and Cafe missions can gently caress right off though - they're just assassination contracts from the previous games multiplied by 10 that have only been designed to stretch the game time into oblivion. They're all the same boring fetch quests.

The same goes for the insane amount of chests and ribbons which are just packets full of nothing sprinkled around the map in order to trigger OCD as even the weapons/equipment you rarely get from them can be just easily bought in the shop. Not to mention the chests from the companion app and those on higher lockpick difficulties = pointless tedium.

Also as much as I knida enjoy the new robust home base - running around it is annoying as hell especially when you gently caress up parkouring through windows or the drop mechanic doesn't work as intended etc. and it's just so tedious that you end up using your game menus instead. The place should be way more compact and easy to navigate like in Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas where you still have the feeling of satisfaction when watching it all fill up but spread around a couple of floors easy to run around.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Yeah co-op is the bomb when it actually works.

Unity for me has the best escaping from guards (the environment design and interior/exterior mechanics) and enemy population (loads of them on the ground, different factions, sparse on rooftops).

But the stealth is awful. I really got into stealth in Black Flag, I thought that system was pretty fluid and there were a lot of interesting things you could do with it, and there were a lot of different approaches to situations. But in Unity it just seems awkward and super hosed. I usually just end up killing everyone and it's not fun.

Also the stripping back of mechanics is terrible, and even the ones they kept in don't work half the time -- namely the double assassinations.

• Locked thread