Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i know this is more of a kicksharter thread but i just got my reading rainbow mug and i'm pretty happy with it, overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bloody posted:

also idiot card game is moments away from breaking a million united states dollars
:toot: $1,087,488 :toot:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anthonypants posted:

if getting "better friends" will make cards against humanity "funny" then no, gently caress you. same thing goes for the oatmeal

speaking of which http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/2011/06/10/the-chainsawsuit/
kris straub is the best webcomics person who isn't kate beaton or the axe cop kid or the perry bible fellowship guy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sham bam bamina! posted:

kris straub is the best webcomics person who isn't kate beaton or the axe cop kid or the perry bible fellowship guy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Vicas posted:

i know this is more of a kicksharter thread but i just got my reading rainbow mug and i'm pretty happy with it, overall

same

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

this is a lot of money for a retro FPS but loving lol this video https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe

quoting this because holy poo poo this is amazing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Migishu posted:

quoting this because holy poo poo this is amazing
oh my god how did i miss that

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Pledge $1,000 or more

 0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)

• VIRTUAL PIZZA PARTY WITH THE STRAFE® TEAM
+ Everything from the above tiers

You'll receive a video tape (requires VCR) that will digitally transport you to the party realm where the STRAFE® team is enjoying pizza for all of eternity. At a time of your choosing, we'll order 2 pizzas to your current residence so YOU can join in on the hot saucy action.*

*Requires pizza shop that delivers to your door.

Estimated delivery: Jun 2015

Ships anywhere in the world

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

oh my god how did i miss that

legitimate 7

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Pledge $1,000 or more

 0 backers Limited (1 left of 1)

• VIRTUAL PIZZA PARTY WITH THE STRAFE® TEAM
+ Everything from the above tiers

You'll receive a video tape (requires VCR) that will digitally transport you to the party realm where the STRAFE® team is enjoying pizza for all of eternity. At a time of your choosing, we'll order 2 pizzas to your current residence so YOU can join in on the hot saucy action.*

*Requires pizza shop that delivers to your door.

Estimated delivery: Jun 2015

Ships anywhere in the world

the most worthless reward ever

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

FrozenVent posted:

Much like ...........

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

FrozenVent posted:

2 pizzas is probably worth more than the broken alphas 99% of video game kickstarters make it to tbh

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

i still can't believe that the guy that draws chainsawsuit also draws broodhollow

also

vOv fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 21, 2015

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thesoro posted:

cards against humanity is bad because it's completely immune to funny people. it will still be I stuffed my butt full of __Cum Guzzling Clowns__ no matter who your friends are. apples to apples is way better if you know actually funny people and the-same-game-but-with-blank-notecards is ten thousand times better

yeah a2a is especially great w/ people you don't know b/c you can learn a lot about them.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Shaggar posted:

yeah a2a is especially great w/ people you don't know b/c you can learn a lot about them.

played once with a guy who didn't know who bill clinton was. . . posted his "gofundme" way back in this thread

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

considering the way the video was set up, it's actually hilarious

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Thesoro posted:

the oatmeal guy is makign a kickstarter

and by god it looks to be the wackiest loving thing since Cards Against HUmanity thank the loving lord someone has the brains, the knowhow, and dare i say it THE GUTS to be this loving wacky

hello darkness my old friend

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
its made over 1.4M now

gonna crash and burn when it comes time to send poo poo out

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
theyre currently on the hook for over 36 thousand physical rewards :toot:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
idk, i have to imagine they were always expecting to have unfathomable sums of money thrown at them for a project that probably realistically will cost less than their initial kickstarter goal, counting manhours. that's pretty much what the oatmeal guy is there for

like they must have a plan for shipping to hundreds of thousands of people

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ayn rand hand job posted:

theyre currently on the hook for over 36 thousand physical rewards :toot:

lol

Vicas posted:

lmao but for different reasons

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
the oatmeal guy is so ruthlessly SEO-oriented that they probably knew how many sales they'd have to the nearest half-dozen before they launched

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

vOv posted:

i still can't believe that the guy that draws chainsawsuit also draws broodhollow

also

lmfao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vicas posted:

idk, i have to imagine they were always expecting to have unfathomable sums of money thrown at them for a project that probably realistically will cost less than their initial kickstarter goal, counting manhours. that's pretty much what the oatmeal guy is there for

lol they're not folding up thousands of cardboard boxes or managing a dozen different reward types, they're sending some raws to a turnkey card game company who will probably dropship them all too. the most time consuming part will be signing (ugh) the 200 special rewards.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress inman, but he knows how to deliver

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When kickstarters get massively overfunded like this, don't people usually expect the author to put up stretch goals and not like, implicitly keep all the excess money for themselves? Is kickstarter just a glorified preordering system? Why are people continuing to donate money on the order of millions of dollars when the author hasn't specified what they're doing with anything beyond the initial $10,000?

yes, i know, the answer is because people who like the oatmeal do not make good decisions, but still, it needed to be asked

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

sorry, you're thinking about 2010 kickstarter, this is 2015 kickstarter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this is logical evolution of star citizen kickstarter - getting copious amounts of cash even without baiting of idiots

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
:frogsiren: one point seven million american dollars :toot:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

with how quickly this went from 0 to goal to a million, they would have had trouble getting stretch goals in place in time. I don't know if kickstarter lets you pre-set them to get exposed at a certain dollar mark or something.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
the best part of the exploding kitten kickstarter is hearing him describe the gameplay - he spends like 3 minutes explaining "you see, if you draw a card, and the card is not an exploding kiiten, then the chance that you will draw an exploding kitten card next time has slightly increased!"

but that's just how cards fundamentally work?? like, if i'm playing poker, and i don't draw an ace, I know there's still an ace in the deck??

edit: thinking about it some more... it's almost like the gameplay hasn't been thought out well.. but that's not posible....

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pakled posted:

Is kickstarter just a glorified preordering system?

p much ya

sure by quantity there are more actual funding projects but in terms of money "raised" preorders disguised as rewards are where it is at.

it is like etsy in a way - yes there are many custom handmade crafts on it but the people making real money are just reselling Chinese made trinkets with a feel good story.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

minivanmegafun posted:

with how quickly this went from 0 to goal to a million, they would have had trouble getting stretch goals in place in time. I don't know if kickstarter lets you pre-set them to get exposed at a certain dollar mark or something.

pretty sure stretch goals are totally outside of kickstarter's actual system, stretch goals are "revealed" by people manually updating the page with a new jpeg

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

As a Millennial I posted:

pretty sure stretch goals are totally outside of kickstarter's actual system, stretch goals are "revealed" by people manually updating the page with a new jpeg
yes, and it would be a pretty big surprise if the oatmeal kickstarters didn't plan on at least a few stretch goals

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Polo-Rican posted:

the best part of the exploding kitten kickstarter is hearing him describe the gameplay - he spends like 3 minutes explaining "you see, if you draw a card, and the card is not an exploding kiiten, then the chance that you will draw an exploding kitten card next time has slightly increased!"

but that's just how cards fundamentally work?? like, if i'm playing poker, and i don't draw an ace, I know there's still an ace in the deck??

edit: thinking about it some more... it's almost like the gameplay hasn't been thought out well.. but that's not posible....
holy poo poo rainman you need to go to vegas with those card-counting skills

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

anthonypants posted:

holy poo poo rainman you need to go to vegas with those card-counting skills
christ you're an rear end in a top hat

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pakled posted:

When kickstarters get massively overfunded like this, don't people usually expect the author to put up stretch goals and not like, implicitly keep all the excess money for themselves? Is kickstarter just a glorified preordering system? Why are people continuing to donate money on the order of millions of dollars when the author hasn't specified what they're doing with anything beyond the initial $10,000?

yes, i know, the answer is because people who like the oatmeal do not make good decisions, but still, it needed to be asked

Things don't need stretch goals all the time. The dumb drawings are already made, it's not like a vidya jame where an extra $50000 funding means programmer graphics get replaced by paying a dude who can actually draw.

He doesn't need to specify what he's doing because it's clearly "pay for the extra bought card decks". Just like a Kickstarter for a shirt is only going to need to pay for more shirts.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

christ you're an rear end in a top hat

i thought it was funny :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mido posted:

i thought it was funny :shobon:

https://40.media.tumblr.com/7ee4414ab18298e67c595ab32de887d8/tumblr_nijlovIuO81u7srt8o1_500.jpg

nws

• Locked thread