Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I severely misunderstood what those posters were talking about. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tollymain posted:

it's the part where spender has helped foster an environment that leads to children under his care getting bitten by meganasty spirits and not seeking appropriate medical care for what could be a hideous injury

Actually I think that's more on Francisco than anything. The not seeking care part, at least.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 20, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Guilt for the sprite dog fight going wrong in the first place is probably fifty-fifty between Spender and Zarei. While Spender was a dumb idiot who abandoned the kids he was supposed to supervise, Zarei did send the train off ahead of schedule, before they could finish checking for stowaways.

Really the Consortium just seems to attract people who maybe shouldn't be in positions of authority.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
"Also Isabel covered the bite in band-aids because she is both extremely resourceful and extremely twelve years old" :D

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's pretty much the perfect storm of interactions between two terrible authority figures—Spender led Isabel into danger and didn't think to ask if she was all right (and in fact ignored her attempts to tell him about the death(ish) of her partner), and Francisco raised Isabel not to complain or seek help for her injuries.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd guess she wants to confront Isabel about it, but not in front of Francisco.

Dolash posted:

I'm curious if Zarei's going to confront Isabel on the next page now that she's out of Francisco's sight or if she'll bring it up later.

Yep.

Other than sending the train away too soon, Zarei seems the most sensible adult so far.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

It's pretty much the perfect storm of interactions between two terrible authority figures—Spender led Isabel into danger and didn't think to ask if she was all right (and in fact ignored her attempts to tell him about the death(ish) of her partner), and Francisco raised Isabel not to complain or seek help for her injuries.

Yeah, none of the kids seem to have much of the way of decent authority figgures

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 20, 2015

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Rand Brittain posted:

It's pretty much the perfect storm of interaction ns between two terrible authority figures—Spender led Isabel into danger and didn't think to ask if she was all right (and in fact ignored her attempts to tell him about the death(ish) of her partner), and Francisco raised Isabel not to complain or seek help for her injuries.

I don't think Francisco has a policy of not having his students ask for help. He did summon Zarai to fix his ghost student's wounds. It's just that Isabel and Francisco's relationship has deteriorated to the point where Isabel won't do anything to make herself look weak in front of Francisco and Francisco refuses to give her his approval because she's doing dangerous things with Rick Spender, teacher of the year and her cocking has gotten her seriously hurt before.

Part of me also thinks that if Francisco learned about what happened on the train he'd go ballistic on Spender so Isabel might be covering for him.

As for Zarai being sensible how soon we forget her play out the heart arrow instead of asking about it first.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Hypocrisy posted:

I don't think Francisco has a policy of not having his students ask for help. He did summon Zarai to fix his ghost student's wounds. It's just that Isabel and Francisco's relationship has deteriorated to the point where Isabel won't do anything to make herself look weak in front of Francisco and Francisco refuses to give her his approval because she's doing dangerous things with Rick Spender, teacher of the year and her cocking has gotten her seriously hurt before.

Oh, I agree that he's very solicitous of his student's wounds. But he has a different standard for Isabel.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, not to mention if Grandpa saw the injury he might start asking questions about what happened - he didn't listen to Isabel try to explain yesterday, will he listen now?

I can't decide if the shoddy bandaids are supposed to be a joke because it's actually pretty sad. It's a kid with crazy supernatural powers and the bite was from a ghost dog but it seems almost too real to how a child hiding an injury from their parents would go about it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

I can't decide if the shoddy bandaids are supposed to be a joke because it's actually pretty sad.

I think it leans more into the pretty sad category taken by itself. Taken with Zach's comment below the page and it's a little more lighthearted.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wyld Karde posted:

"Also Isabel covered the bite in band-aids because she is both extremely resourceful and extremely twelve years old" :D

I love how well Zack writes kids. Given that everyone's been one at least once, it's way too common for fictional children to be short grownups or blindingly incompetent at all times.

This comic's comment is a perfect summary of how much he gets it.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Wyld Karde posted:

Even before I read the alt text that wound covered in band aids immediately made me go, "Yup, that is how kids handle that poo poo."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
At least they're not 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeFCi_8tos

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

As for Zarai being sensible how soon we forget her play out the heart arrow instead of asking about it first.
I don't know, I feel like you can't really blame her for that. If my weird supernatural train partner had a weird arrow on it the first thing I'd do would be to take it out and take a look at it. Nine times out of ten that's going to be the correct course of action.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder what the train-as-lantern will be able to do

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Tollymain posted:

You know, normal lamp things.
-light things up
-serve as a source of heat
-fire giant lasers
-burn oils

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tollymain posted:

The exact same thing as before.

You'd better lock your arm onto it this time.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I do not understand that yard.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

ProfessorProf posted:

What's to understand? Grass long.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

ProfessorProf posted:

Maybe there are little hills and mounds underneath the grass?

Which... would mean it would somehow have to be cut to make it all exactly the same height. Hrm.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

nerdman42 posted:

Maybe there are little hills and mounds underneath the grass?

Which... would mean it would somehow have to be cut to make it all exactly the same height. Hrm.

Just take the age old answer "a wizard did it" and change it to "a spirit did it"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also Ed is lying down or something. He's Ed.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
You've got people who can shoot spirit blasts out of their fingers. Grandpa probably gives a challenge to have them cut it even.

I don't know how else to explain Spender landing with his knees clearly above the grassline, and them having the grass go up to his armpits, while Isabelle is towering over him in the background. He can't really be lying down in the last panel of that page, at best he'd be kneeling.

Well I suppose Spender could have used some sort of darkness powers to create a hole to stand in for dramatic purposes.

The grass does seem to be shorter immediately surrounding the house, especially near the bike.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

RareAcumen posted:

The exact same thing as before.

You'd better lock your arm onto it this time.

Saying everyone's trapped inside the barrier is a bit of an exaggeration, then. Surely Zarei could just go out to the barrier and use the train's power to make a hole and let people through? Slightly less convenient, but still

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Saying everyone's trapped inside the barrier is a bit of an exaggeration, then. Surely Zarei could just go out to the barrier and use the train's power to make a hole and let people through? Slightly less convenient, but still

From train to archway. Bit of a sad downgrade.

Do Zarei's eyes look weird here to anyone else? They look like if she took her glasses off they'd turn out to just be on the glasses.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

RareAcumen posted:

From train to archway. Bit of a sad downgrade.

Do Zarei's eyes look weird here to anyone else? They look like if she took her glasses off they'd turn out to just be on the glasses.

The impression I get from reading around is that they're supposed to look like that, for a reason that has not yet been disclosed

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

When they first said "we're trapped!", Zach said something to the effect of "I know you can probably think of some loopholes, but actually Zarei knows what she's talking about. Wait and see."

I assume "using the train's power from the lantern tool" is one of those loopholes he was talking about, and there's some way that isn't viable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rasamune posted:

The impression I get from reading around is that they're supposed to look like that, for a reason that has not yet been disclosed

Her eyes might just look that way, too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ditocoaf posted:

When they first said "we're trapped!", Zach said something to the effect of "I know you can probably think of some loopholes, but actually Zarei knows what she's talking about. Wait and see."

I assume "using the train's power from the lantern tool" is one of those loopholes he was talking about, and there's some way that isn't viable.

The other big loophole we know about would be the Doorman. Forge having to make a door would imply that there's no door in range outside Mayview, though, which is... weird.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Clearly there are massive holes in the lawn with very tall grass growing out of them that has been cut to equal length as the surrounding grass, it's not that complicated guys.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MikeJF posted:

The other big loophole we know about would be the Doorman. Forge having to make a door would imply that there's no door in range outside Mayview, though, which is... weird.

Doorman could be a perfectly legitimate loophole, with the catch being that Zarei and everyone else don't know he exists (or at least that he's in Mayview). I'm still expecting we'll see Max ask Isaac for help with Doorman so he can see his mother's ghost, which might be a bit awkward since Isaac seems a bit put-off at the moment since Max is hiding stuff from him. Regardless, we might find out if Doorman will work as a way out.

I'd be interested to see how some other characters would react to Doorman, even beyond their factional differences - Grandpa probably wouldn't take kindly to an uncontrolled hole in Mayview's defenses, as we've seen.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

MikeJF posted:

Don't you need to key to the door for Doorman to use it? Maybe he couldn't get his claws on the keys for any other doors.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Line Feed posted:

Don't you need to key to the door for Doorman to use it? Maybe he couldn't get his claws on the keys for any other doors.

He'd have had to take the key to the edge of Mayview for the dogs to bring to doorman, then trudge all the way back to wherever the door was to actually use it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

He'd have had to take the key to the edge of Mayview for the dogs to bring to doorman, then trudge all the way back to wherever the door was to actually use it.

What? The dogs weren't on his side or helping them. He was going to deliver the key to the doorman via a locket that he had that the doorman had the key to.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Clearly there are massive holes in the lawn with very tall grass growing out of them that has been cut to equal length as the surrounding grass, it's not that complicated guys.

If you can't avoid them, you clearly haven't been training hard enough, which shames your perfect and immaculate sensei.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kgummy posted:

I don't know how else to explain Spender landing with his knees clearly above the grassline, and them having the grass go up to his armpits, while Isabelle is towering over him in the background. He can't really be lying down in the last panel of that page, at best he'd be kneeling.

He fell flat on his belly. When his head appears back above the grass, he's not standing tall, he's still mostly prone on the ground.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MikeJF posted:

What? The dogs weren't on his side or helping them. He was going to deliver the key to the doorman via a locket that he had that the doorman had the key to.

In my defence the glacial pace of that whole encounter made it extremely easy to forget what the hell was going on :saddowns:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

RareAcumen posted:

It's because the glass isn't layered over the eyes colorwise. Probably just an artistical shortcut to make the eyes more prominent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Line Feed posted:

If Max actually leaves Mayview anytime soon, which I suspect won't happen, he could probably just use a key to his old house and tell his dad he'll meet him there. Make up some excuse about a friend wanting to tag along. Though then he'd need to have a friend.