Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

allahuACK-BAR allahuACK-BAR, insha-allah inshallah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
good ol Al-Cootani rigged up this here DShK on the General Mubarak, time to go kill Boss Hogg because he's haram

Uncle Juba said it's ok in his fatwah

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

oh god

Quick someone dub this into that video of fatty goony ISIS recruits suicide bombing in Syria way back lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ManMythLegend posted:

Speaking of Russia, War is Boring published an interesting article on the collapse of the Russian Navy which conflicts with some talk in the USN of a "renaissance" for ole' Ivan at Sea. I tend to side more with War is Boring on the issue, especially since the Rooskies precipitous economic collapse.

The ships aren't the half of it. The soldiers aren't in the best shape either. Some fun quotes (albeit, as best I can tell, from work circa 2000, so a bit outdated) from Anna Politkovskaya!

Regarding Aleksandr Dikiy, captain of an Oscar-class submarine: "[his monthly rations] consist of two packets of shelled peas, two kilograms of buckwheat and rice in paper bags, two cans of the cheapest peas, two cans of Pacific herring, and a bottle of vegetable oil."

"Dikiy walks from his home to where the Vilioutchinsk is moored. It takes him precisely forty minutes. He walks not because the exercise is good for him but because, of course, he doesn't have the money for a car and because no other transportation is provided by the navy. The Second Flotilla, to which the Vilioutchinsk belongs, is in the throes of a fuel crisis, as indeed is the rest of Kamchatka. No cars or buses run to the jetties. The navy does not have enough gasoline in a country selling oil to all and sundry! But that is the least of it. What if the fleet runs out of bread? The garrison is constantly in debt to the local bread factory, which goes on supplying the ships on credit."

Referring to Valerii Dorogin, vice admiral of Kamchatka and commander of the Northeast Group of Troops and Forces, "his monthly salary as the officer responsible for an enormous territory and second in rank only to the governors of three major Russian provinces was 3,600 rubles, or just over $100. In reality, because of his pension, which he paid up long ago, he receives just under 5,000 rubles a month. By way of comparison, a city bus driver in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatky earns 6,000 rubles a month. Dorogin lives in a military apartment on Morskaya Street, in exactly the same conditions as the other officers. There is no hot water, and it cold, drafty, and uncomfortable."

Russia is great.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

IPvSH6T posted:

The ships aren't the half of it. The soldiers aren't in the best shape either. Some fun quotes (albeit, as best I can tell, from work circa 2000, so a bit outdated) from Anna Politkovskaya!

Regarding Aleksandr Dikiy, captain of an Oscar-class submarine: "[his monthly rations] consist of two packets of shelled peas, two kilograms of buckwheat and rice in paper bags, two cans of the cheapest peas, two cans of Pacific herring, and a bottle of vegetable oil."

"Dikiy walks from his home to where the Vilioutchinsk is moored. It takes him precisely forty minutes. He walks not because the exercise is good for him but because, of course, he doesn't have the money for a car and because no other transportation is provided by the navy. The Second Flotilla, to which the Vilioutchinsk belongs, is in the throes of a fuel crisis, as indeed is the rest of Kamchatka. No cars or buses run to the jetties. The navy does not have enough gasoline in a country selling oil to all and sundry! But that is the least of it. What if the fleet runs out of bread? The garrison is constantly in debt to the local bread factory, which goes on supplying the ships on credit."

Referring to Valerii Dorogin, vice admiral of Kamchatka and commander of the Northeast Group of Troops and Forces, "his monthly salary as the officer responsible for an enormous territory and second in rank only to the governors of three major Russian provinces was 3,600 rubles, or just over $100. In reality, because of his pension, which he paid up long ago, he receives just under 5,000 rubles a month. By way of comparison, a city bus driver in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatky earns 6,000 rubles a month. Dorogin lives in a military apartment on Morskaya Street, in exactly the same conditions as the other officers. There is no hot water, and it cold, drafty, and uncomfortable."

Russia is great.

Jesus loving Christ.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

IPvSH6T posted:

"Dikiy walks from his home to where the Vilioutchinsk is moored. It takes him precisely forty minutes. He walks not because the exercise is good for him but because, of course, he doesn't have the money for a car and because no other transportation is provided by the navy. The Second Flotilla, to which the Vilioutchinsk belongs, is in the throes of a fuel crisis, as indeed is the rest of Kamchatka. No cars or buses run to the jetties. The navy does not have enough gasoline in a country selling oil to all and sundry! But that is the least of it. What if the fleet runs out of bread? The garrison is constantly in debt to the local bread factory, which goes on supplying the ships on credit.

Russia is great.
It's only a matter of time before they go all lord of the flies. Then start killing each other for tooth fillings and eating each other.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

IPvSH6T posted:

Russia is great.

This poo poo just boggles the mind, imagine going to the DFAC and being given a loaf of wonderbread from the local factory and being told to make it last all month.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Willy Pete posted:

It's only a matter of time before they go all lord of the flies. Then start killing each other for tooth fillings and eating each other.

It's actually worse/sadder. The parts that I did not quote were the officers in question talking about how, yeah, poo poo is hosed--I and my wife have academic backgrounds that would net us six figures working for tech firms in the US and we have basically no food, and there's no future for our children here, but we'll loving deal, we protect the rodina mat'.

In other Russia news today:

kalstrams posted:

... today russian federal drug control service got hacked and all files are now floating errywhere, including list of people who used anonymous hotline, including their pictures?

e: it's this level of bad

http://www.novayagazeta.ru/inquests/66903.html

Yes, in Russia, someone can hack the DEA, steal all their files, and some guy will sell you the complete 5-CD set outside the subway, 16 minutes' ride away from the Kremlin.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

IPvSH6T posted:

It's actually worse/sadder. The parts that I did not quote were the officers in question talking about how, yeah, poo poo is hosed--I and my wife have academic backgrounds that would net us six figures working for tech firms in the US and we have basically no food, and there's no future for our children here, but we'll loving deal, we protect the rodina mat'.

Did it improve any with the increase of oil money over the last decade?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Willy Pete posted:

The Russians already did that back in the 1930's, it was called the Nazino affair. What the wiki article doesn't mention is that there were roving gangs on the island that used people's gold fillings as currency.

edit: :stare:

wikipedia posted:

They were trying to escape. They asked us "Where's the railway?" We'd never seen a railway. They asked "Where's Moscow? Leningrad?" They were asking the wrong people: we'd never heard of those places. We're Ostyaks. People were running away starving. They were given a handful of flour. They mixed it with water and drank it and then they immediately got diarrhea. The things we saw! People were dying everywhere; they were killing each other.... On the island there was a guard named Kostia Venikov, a young fellow. He was courting a pretty girl who had been sent there. He protected her. One day he had to be away for a while, and he told one of his comrades, "Take care of her," but with all the people there the comrade couldn't do much.... People caught the girl, tied her to a poplar tree, cut off her breasts, her muscles, everything they could eat, everything, everything.... They were hungry, they had to eat. When Kostia came back, she was still alive. He tried to save her, but she had lost too much blood.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 21, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

Did it improve any with the increase of oil money over the last decade?

Dunno; I'd like to think so. The journalist that did the reporting on the original story was murdered so welp.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IPvSH6T posted:

Dunno; I'd like to think so. The journalist that did the reporting on the original story was murdered so welp.

It likely did not, Russia is crammed to the gills with obvious corruption, graft, and cronyism; their military is probably still just as hosed, if not in a worse state.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

orange juche posted:

It likely did not, Russia is crammed to the gills with obvious corruption, graft, and cronyism; their military is probably still just as hosed, if not in a worse state.

See also: China.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
dont underestimate the slav, their low cunning and innate bloodlust make them dangerous even if theyre too stupid to create and maintain a functioning society

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I imagine that there are pockets of competence. Putin's praetorians and whomever it is they have dying in droves outside of the Donesk airpost.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Russia, historically, has had to fight so god drat hard to maintain ports

If their Navy is in such godawful condition how could anybody in the West possibly take their sabre-rattling seriously

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A-10 dodges 4 SA-7 shots?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 21, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Russia, historically, has had to fight so god drat hard to maintain ports

If their Navy is in such godawful condition how could anybody in the West possibly take their sabre-rattling seriously

Armies are much cheaper to maintain than navies, so their army is decently equipped, and effective, when their equipment isn't breaking down. Europe is joined to Russia by virtue of being on the same landmass. The US however doesn't really have to fear a Red Dawn thing going on with the Russians any time soon.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

quote:

“Tonight, I call on this Congress to show the world that we are united in this mission by passing a resolution to authorize the use of force against ISIL.” Obama said -- his strongest terms to date.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I also like how he said we will unilaterally prosecute ISIL wherever they hide, which means we will continue shooting muds in the head with high-powered sniper rifles, and possibly step up our droning of weddings and the funerals that follow.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
What's the snazzy name that will be given to tripling down on Iraq?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

orange juche posted:

I also like how he said we will unilaterally prosecute ISIL wherever they hide, which means we will continue shooting muds in the head with high-powered sniper rifles, and possibly step up our droning of weddings and the funerals that follow.

Don't forget that we are committed to ending torture and the use of drones responsibly (as long as you ignore everything we've done the last 13 years involving those things). Don't get me wrong I'm all for maximizing platforms we use to send Haji Ramadan to the everafter, it's just Obama isn't the guy I take serious hearing that poo poo from

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"I'm going to dump an even bigger poo poo sandwich on my successor than the one I got from my predecessor."

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

"I'm going to dump an even bigger poo poo sandwich on my successor than the one I got from my predecessor."

:mrgw:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Imagine four Presidents on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the President nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of Presidents and takes the place of the first President. The formerly first President shits into the mouth of the second, the second shits into the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff. Politics work the same way.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Politics is the real human centipede.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Maybe we should just say gently caress it and send a portion of the war budget to the brits so they can keep going with their SAS four wheeler drive bys. They seem to be a lot better at this war thing than us.

Well, until it comes time to drop an ungodly amount of bombs on them, we're pretty good at that still.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I really don't understand what he means. We're already using force against ISIS.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

not caring here posted:

Maybe we should just say gently caress it and send a portion of the war budget to the brits so they can keep going with their SAS four wheeler drive bys. They seem to be a lot better at this war thing than us.

Well, until it comes time to drop an ungodly amount of bombs on them, we're pretty good at that still.

Lend-Lease worked out pretty well, better than any of our other programs to finance foreign armies.

We need to just institute something like the French Foreign Legion to go stomp in shitholes that noone from the US wants to put their feet in. Want citizenship in the US? Sure! Just sign on the line, go through some rediculously difficult indoctrination and training, where we also take your visas away from you so you can't run away, and then go slog through the worst shitholes in the world for 10 years.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 21, 2015

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

orange juche posted:

Lend-Lease worked out pretty well, better than any of our other programs to finance foreign armies.

We need to just institute something like the French Foreign Legion to go stomp in shitholes that noone from the US wants to put their feet in. Want citizenship in the US? Sure! Just sign on the line, go through some rediculously difficult indoctrination and training, where we also take your visas away from you so you can't run away, and then go slog through the worst shitholes in the world for 10 years.

Jesus gently caress why didn't I just go join the Legion

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Russia was working on upgrading everything after they struggled to stomp Georgia. France finally told them they weren't going to get their new assault ships and with oil in the shitter they are probably thankful.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

Jesus gently caress why didn't I just go join the Legion

because you don't like getting your poo poo pushed in by mostly large hairy slavic men?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I really don't understand what he means. We're already using force against ISIS.

It's hard to piss on corpses when you're 1,500 metres above them.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

It's hard to piss on corpses when you're 1,500 metres above them.

just fill the bombs with piss

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mike-o posted:

because you don't like getting your poo poo pushed in by mostly large hairy slavic men?

I was focusing on the positives, like being a part of a proud fighting force of criminals that exists solely to go wax people left and right, not the Slavic criminal element rape part. Thankfully joining the Legion requires getting to France and I was far too drunken at the time in my life to manage that

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Symbolically piss on them by bombing the funeral after the wedding.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Load up a bomber like the russians did in ww2 with 100+ smgs, except this time use supersoakers filled with piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I was focusing on the positives, like being a part of a proud fighting force of criminals that exists solely to go wax people left and right, not the Slavic criminal element rape part. Thankfully joining the Legion requires getting to France and I was far too drunken at the time in my life to manage that

i briefly thought about joining the ffl, but the idea of getting my rear end kicked by eastern europeans on a daily kind of soured me on that

• Locked thread