Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As retarded as it sounds, I think I am more into the "lore" of FNAF than the actual game itself. Getting stuffed into cheese wire-filled suits, the Phone Guy's cryptic messages, the NES games, the murderous Purple Man, Marionette "giving life", the children being blissfully unaware of what murderous psychos the anamatronic are...

All as a set dressing for a jumpscare game. A very well made one, yes, but one nonetheless.
I feel much the same way. The basic premise is golden: a spooky Chuck E. Cheese's. Those things are already uncanny and unnerving, so right off the bat it hits an original and untapped well of scares. The atmosphere is great. It's foreboding, creepy, and unsettling. The sounds are pretty good. The designs are mostly good, though I feel like maybe they're not quite hitting the right notes. sometimes. It's all a great foundation. But then the game itself is, as described, basically a plate-spinning simulator whose only goal is to prevent a jumpscare. 2 felt like a flimsy cash grab and with 3 coming out so soon after, there's no reason to suspect there will be any real improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I've suddenly got 3 or 4 horror games for my PS4 and it's pretty cool. Playing through the REmake now, and I still have Alien Isolation and Evil Within to get into. I also went through the P.T. demo the other day and it scared the poo poo out of me. Good stuff!

I really suck at using the knife in RE now though. Gotta get them skillz back :sigh:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Can't wait to see fresh reactions to Crimson Heads :allears:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I noticed that the original RE came out on Steam recently - is that the REmake? I never played either the original or the REmake but from what I understand the latter is much, much better, and I'm kind of interested in trying it out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It is indeed the REmake that everyone loves. One of the greatest games ever made in this posters opinion, no prior Resident Evil knowledge necessary. Everything about it just oozes quality.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
To help clarify, this is the original release on the Playstation:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The remake doesnt have the same lovely b-movie feel, but its quite good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

The remake doesnt have the same lovely b-movie feel, but its quite good.

Oh yeah it loving does. The dialogue isn't like "created by non-English speakers" bad, but it's still plenty b-movie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It has really goofy boob physics too. Are those new?
https://vine.co/v/OIutrbbZ25W

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
REmake is an incredible game and easily the best "traditional" RE game (4 is amazing but it's kind of apples and oranges). I'll definitely be picking up the rerelease.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

It has really goofy boob physics too. Are those new?
https://vine.co/v/OIutrbbZ25W

The bouncing didn't seem that pronounced when I was playing, I didn't even notice it until after seeing it in that Vine. It's kinda weird, but honestly you won't even be seeing her chest 95% of the time since her arms will be raised over it holding the gun or you'll be facing away.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The bouncing didn't seem that pronounced when I was playing, I didn't even notice it until after seeing it in that Vine. It's kinda weird, but honestly you won't even be seeing her chest 95% of the time since her arms will be raised over it holding the gun or you'll be facing away.

Just seems like a weird thing to inculde :shrug:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just seems like a weird thing to inculde :shrug:

I definitely agree, it's just not something you'll actually be noticing unless you run back and forth at just the right camera angle like he is. It's weird, but it seems more like a misguided attempt at realism than some dev sneaking their fetish in.

That being said, the PC port is great. No problems running it at 1080p 60FPS max settings on a fairly mediocre PC and the non-tank controls work awesome on a 360 controller.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Lightning, The new Fatal Frame lead, and now Jill are really bad at finding their bras apparently.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's in the original game too but is only really noticeable when Jill immediately starts/stops moving. This gif is just bits of her walking animation starting and stopping so though it does seem more pronounced than in the original. Is it possibly due to the game now being 60FPS or the engine being new? It's probably due to laziness though. In the original it's more pronounced if you use her RE3 costume, they probably just used that one set of animation for both.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That being said, the PC port is great. No problems running it at 1080p 60FPS max settings on a fairly mediocre PC and the non-tank controls work awesome on a 360 controller.

That's good to hear

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It is indeed the REmake that everyone loves. One of the greatest games ever made in this posters opinion, no prior Resident Evil knowledge necessary. Everything about it just oozes quality.

Have they included a way to turn off One Dangerous Zombie after unlocking it?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's in the original game too but is only really noticeable when Jill immediately starts/stops moving.

I actually think it's just an animation and not specifically boob "physics". If you watch that video it actually looks like her boobs bounce in reverse when she walks backwards, as if to make you walk backwards they just reversed the animation (which is a possibility).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Is this thread aware of Silent Hill: Alchemilla a Source mod being released?

I havent played it yet,.I found it via this Rock Paper Shotgun blurb

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Man, I can't wait to "smell Silent Hill stench as much as possible".

VV That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it, is how awesome it'd be for the OR. Then I remembered it's a mod for the Half-Life 2 engine, so prepare to :barf:

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 21, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Oh jesus I just saw theres Rift support

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

VV That's the first thing I thought of when I saw it, is how awesome it'd be for the OR. Then I remembered it's a mod for the Half-Life 2 engine, so prepare to :barf:

Does Source not work well in Rift? I dont have one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Basticle posted:

Does Source not work well in Rift? I dont have one.

I don't know, I just heard that Half-Life 2 is one of the worst offenders for Oculus Rift sickness so I imagine any Source mod would be the same.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
People got motion sickness from HL2 when it was first released so I imagine it on the Rift would be a non-stop vomit comet.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Since I finally know this thread exists now, I might as well ask. If I have a PS2 and a PC as my only options for systems to replay Silent Hill 2 on, which one should I go for? The PS2 version will probably be the easiest to find, but the quick saving in the PC version was awesome back when I played it through GameTap before that service went to poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Since I finally know this thread exists now, I might as well ask. If I have a PS2 and a PC as my only options for systems to replay Silent Hill 2 on, which one should I go for? The PS2 version will probably be the easiest to find, but the quick saving in the PC version was awesome back when I played it through GameTap before that service went to poo poo.

If you want to put in a little extra work the PC version is the definitive edition. Here's an article on getting it to run best.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, I just heard that Half-Life 2 is one of the worst offenders for Oculus Rift sickness so I imagine any Source mod would be the same.

The big problems with HL2 on the rift are that your movespeed is very fast and that the design of the game and the environments requires a lot of looking around in all different directions. There's nothing inherent to the source engine that makes it bad, it's just that the game doesn't really work very well at all.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

1stGear posted:

People got motion sickness from HL2 when it was first released so I imagine it on the Rift would be a non-stop vomit comet.

Any game where Rift support is hacked in so that what was controlled with the mouse (aiming) is now controlled with your face is going to make people blow chunks. Speed of movement only makes it worse. I tried to play Quake deathmatch with the original Oculus dev kit and I felt sick for like two hours afterward.

The fact that early dev kits were super low res, super early drivers, and had no way of adjusting the hardware to the user's face amplified these issues a ton. I haven't used any of the newer Oculus Rifts but I've heard that they're miles above the original shipment.

So no it's not really the Source engine itself, it's just games being made Rift compatible without much thought into how the Rift is being used that's the issue. If you get an original Rift and play the driving segments of Half-Life 2 it's much better than the shooting parts because sitting in a car seat looking around is way more natural than strafing and aiming a gun with your face.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Hadooooken posted:

Lightning, The new Fatal Frame lead, and now Jill are really bad at finding their bras apparently.

To quote one of the Resident Evil novels, 'Vanity, thy name is underwire'.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Basticle posted:

Is this thread aware of Silent Hill: Alchemilla a Source mod being released?

I havent played it yet,.I found it via this Rock Paper Shotgun blurb
No enemies; not worth playing. Really the same goes for any so-called "horror" adventure game.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

To quote one of the Resident Evil novels, 'Vanity, thy name is underwire'.

Was it Caliban Cove? Please tell me it was Caliban Cove :allears:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Was it Caliban Cove? Please tell me it was Caliban Cove :allears:

RE2 or 3 I think. I only had the ones based on the games. There's a scene near the start where Jill, Barry and Chris have to sneak into their respective houses to get supplies and necessities . For some reason, they spend an awful long time discussing Jill's choice of underwear, leading to that line.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Bought the Remake, it's taking time getting used to non-tank controls. That and the anxiety over those goddamned Crimson Heads.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relin posted:

No enemies; not worth playing. Really the same goes for any so-called "horror" adventure game.

Combat is the worst feature of any horror game.

I can't think of a single one where the combat is more than okay at best.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Relin posted:

Ah yes combat, the most memorable and important feature of the silent hill games

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Monicro posted:

Ah yes combat, the most memorable and important feature of the silent hill games

TBH I find any horror game where you can't even try to fight the enemies boring as hell. Sure, it might not be the best option, but having it as an option keeps the player making decisions and adds dimensionality to the gameplay - what enemies can you safely fight? Should I run through this area and maybe miss some items, or clean it out? You can say the combat in Silent Hill or early Resident Evil wasn't good, but those games would be so, so much worse without the ability to fight at all.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

You guys do realize that enemies might mean something that you can't really fight against as well right, stuff like the crazy people in Outlast, mannequins from Five Nights at Freddie's and so on. While it is possible to make a horror game without any actual threats, at least I would just stop caring as soon as I realized that the game doesn't have anything that actually threatens you.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Trick Question posted:

TBH I find any horror game where you can't even try to fight the enemies boring as hell. Sure, it might not be the best option, but having it as an option keeps the player making decisions and adds dimensionality to the gameplay - what enemies can you safely fight? Should I run through this area and maybe miss some items, or clean it out? You can say the combat in Silent Hill or early Resident Evil wasn't good, but those games would be so, so much worse without the ability to fight at all.

I actually agree with what you're saying, but completely dismissing a game out of hand for not having you fight things in a genre based around making the player vulnerable is super silly

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

SpiritOfLenin posted:

You guys do realize that enemies might mean something that you can't really fight against as well right, stuff like the crazy people in Outlast, mannequins from Five Nights at Freddie's and so on. While it is possible to make a horror game without any actual threats, at least I would just stop caring as soon as I realized that the game doesn't have anything that actually threatens you.

See: Shattered Memories, in which the spooky bits are announced two minutes in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Silent Hill (the original trilogy) made the enemies disturbing just by the nature of their existence. Even though you could dispatch them fairly easily the sounds they made and the way they moved were so eerie that it didn't particularly matter.