Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Those look fine to me unless you're afraid of blood on your steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
*checks thread*

This is the bad food thread...those steaks are bad food. I weep inside for you if you think they look "fine."

I'm not afraid of rare steaks, but I want them cooked correctly. There's clearly way too much oil on them, doesn't appear to me much, if any, seasoning, and it looks like it was cooked at too low a temp.

Rare steaks are fine, but you still want to sear that outside to get some nice flavors on the steak.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Wait, those aren't brownies?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Salt is the only seasoning you need. Maaaybe some pepper. I think it's just bad lighting. I will agree it could be seared better but those look like they could still be delicious.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Looks more like liver to me. And I hate liver.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Paladinus posted:

Looks more like liver to me. And I hate liver.
They're ribeyes and they look okay.

I think they're ribeyes, and they look just okay.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Would.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The loudmouth in me says that they didn't cook that in a cast iron skillet, likely a stainless steel one. Or/and they flipped that thing too much.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

amityville anus posted:

The loudmouth in me says that they didn't cook that in a cast iron skillet, likely a stainless steel one. Or/and they flipped that thing too much.
You can get a perfectly fine sear using a stainless pan, there's nothing magical about cast iron. And there's nothing wrong with flipping---frequently flipping and arroser are actually a really good approach to getting even doneness without overcooking. Nowadays it's much more straightforward to sous vide to your target doneness and sear off in a smoking hot pan (or use a torch), but flipping steaks doesn't mean a bad steak unless you don't know what you're doing.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
It's also a colon-destroying plate of nothing but a pound and a half of steak. Have some broccoli with that or something. :cmon:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's not cow blood :ssh:

CrotchDropJeans
Jan 4, 2015
I went to a latke-making party this Hanukkah where we were encouraged to bring our own, nontraditional toppings. Someone made a latke, breaded it, deep-fried it, and then drenched it in nacho cheese and salted caramel. A latke with a Hitler mustache would have been less offensive.

For the record, I made a poutine latke and it was glorious and delicious :jewish: :canada:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
That steak is inexplicably oily and poorly cooked. There's no sear on it and looks like it isn't really seasoned at all.

Here's some Koreans taste testing American snacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf11-ruYgOo

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bamhand posted:

Those look fine to me unless you're afraid of blood on your steak.

One of the first steps in butchering is draining out all of the blood so unless you got it from that weird guy in the woods the only fluids you're cooking out are the ones that keep the steak tender and juicy.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

Let me tell you about the steak-cooking skills of Lousigod (i think) and the wonders of low carb thread...

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

L. Ron Mexico posted:

Let me tell you about the steak-cooking skills of Lousigod (i think) and the wonders of low carb thread...

I forgot that was where that pic was from.
Did the cup o' lard breakfast mug get posted itt yet?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

canis minor posted:

To be fair, when I was a kid, I loved some frying pan toasts:

which are basically bread slices, browned on some butter + some salt/pepper. A deluxe version included stirring an egg, and coating the bread with it, to produce this:

but I was satisfied enough with the basic recipe.

This is the classier version of the ultimate poverty food, mayo sandwiches----which are exactly what they sound like; store-brand mayo slathered onto two pieces of whatever bread you have and slapped together. My younger brother sometimes made himself a version that used ranch instead of mayo over summer break.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

canis minor posted:

which are basically bread slices, browned on some butter + some salt/pepper.

Soft croutons.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Tree Goat posted:

That steak is inexplicably oily and poorly cooked. There's no sear on it and looks like it isn't really seasoned at all.

Here's some Koreans taste testing American snacks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf11-ruYgOo

This was pretty great to see actually. I love to see reactions to different regional snacks. I had a boozy evening with my flatmate the other night and offered her some mochi with sesame, red bean or peanut filling (not sure which ones she got) and she just could not stand it. Texture problems in that case I think but with the fact that she's Polish I would have thought odd textures would be ok with her with all that loving terrible jellied fish etc.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only style of steak that should be in this thread is the Japanese pro wrestling style steak where you take a massive cut of meat and then put a giant slice of butter in the middle of it.
it's fatty as hell but it actually tastes pretty good as a like "once in a lifetime" sort of deal

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Say what now?

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
Holy poo poo

That's a steak and a half

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

/\/\Ba-bam! Never mind. /\/\

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only style of steak that should be in this thread is the Japanese pro wrestling style steak where you take a massive cut of meat and then put a giant slice of butter in the middle of it.
it's fatty as hell but it actually tastes pretty good as a like "once in a lifetime" sort of deal

Steak pan fried with a compound butter is delicious. Is the Japanese wrestler version just a cooked steak with like a pad of butter on the top or something?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

fleshy echidna posted:

Holy poo poo

That's a steak and a half

It's also like $40, and Hard Rock is for scrubs.

http://www.bronco.co.jp/menu/kantou/grand/

Butter on steak is fine, and doesn't qualify as a horror. You might disagree with it morally, but you probably can't deny that it tastes awesome.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Solice Kirsk posted:

/\/\Ba-bam! Never mind. /\/\

Steak pan fried with a compound butter is delicious. Is the Japanese wrestler version just a cooked steak with like a pad of butter on the top or something?

Basically there is a chain of two steak houses in Tokyo, the owner speaks English and loves pro wrestling so back in the 1980's it became fashionable if you were a wrestler touring Japan to eat there because he would give you a good deal on a giant steak with a big pad of butter because as a huge muscled dude who burns like 4k calories a day as his job you need poo poo like that to keep going. Now it's basically a institution for pro wrestling and you aren't really somebody in the biz until you've toured Japan, eaten at Ribera and been gifted one of the Jackets that he only gives out to Pro Wrestlers.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/inside-ribera-steakhouse-26137247

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

amityville anus posted:

You can get an awesome sear on good stainless steel. I use stainless steel a lot for searing or for anything acidic.
Cast iron is no better for searing, it's just more non stick if seasoned well, so less oil required. I mainly only use cast iron when things are going into the oven after a quick sear. Otherwise use SS and then make a sauce in it afterwards while the steak is resting.

That's purely a low temp or non stick pan type of cooked steak.
It's also 4 days worth of meat on one plate for me :(

E: Mayo lover here, S&W, Thomy or home made only for me though. I like it with chicken, tinned tuna or salad sandwiches, or toasted sandwiches spread thinly. If I'm making a large slaw or potato salad or something I'll go to the effort of home made. It's really the only foodstuff that I eat that could fit into this thread, but I love it so much. That and aioli or toum which is pretty much mayo with garlic.
Sour cream, creme fraiche or greek style yogurt would be better for sandwiches, tortillas and salads, but I don't eat them enough and they go off after a few days so I just keep mayo around.
I have never even tasted ranch, I think I tried miracle whip once

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Jan 21, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Mayo is awesome but I'm white so I suppose I would wouldn't I.

Hey, who wants to get some Chipolte?

KakerMix has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I used to eat American cheese and mayo sandwiches as a kid. My brother and I once got into a fight over which one of us invented it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I used to eat American cheese and mayo sandwiches as a kid. My brother and I once got into a fight over which one of us invented it.

Grill it and you may have yourself a winner there!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All this mayo chat and nobody's posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lxs6eBg7qE

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Lets bring this thread back to its roots. Photos that people took and then looked at and thought 'I need to share this moment in my life on social media':

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

rock_bottom.jpg

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Code Jockey posted:

rock_bottom.jpg

At least it's albacore

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

cyberia posted:

Lets bring this thread back to its roots. Photos that people took and then looked at and thought 'I need to share this moment in my life on social media':

This looks good, though. I guess you could avoid the cabbage when applying gravy, but otherwise I am not seeing the problem.

Big Centipede posted:

At least it's albacore

Yeah, he's not at rock-bottom, just yet. He's still got at least one level of tuna fish, and then there's the whole pet food aisle.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

This looks good, though. I guess you could avoid the cabbage when applying gravy, but otherwise I am not seeing the problem.

Yeah, that's just old fashioned British home-cooking. Beef, cabbage,potatoes, yorkshire pudding, all covered in a half gallon of beef gravy.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

The rest are either just badly photographed or vaguely depressing but I really don't know what I'm looking at here.

Is the meat on the right bacon or is it a gammon steak? Why is something full of meat being served as a side dish to a larger piece of meat? What even is that; a badly cooked and upsettingly square omelette? Some sort of pizza/garlic bread with ham?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Ooh, are we doing student food now?

Apparently somebody decided that combining monte and ketchup is a good idea.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

What's the round thing? A mushroom?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hummingbirds posted:

What's the round thing? A mushroom?

It is a Yorkshire Pudding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pudding is British for mushroom and Yorkshire is British for pudding.

• Locked thread