Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

coyo7e posted:

So I have been playing this on the Xbox 360 console and I know it's nerfed to poo poo and retarded but I was trying to talk a new roommate into installing this on his monster water-cooled box, and was wondering if there's a post or anything I should point him to with a list of mods etc he should get set up ahead of time, while he watches me play the lovely version on my poorbox.

Here's a cool mod pack: http://www.soloviyko.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Magres posted:

Is it like a fifteenth of a second or something? In one game I spent a solid 4-5 minutes staring at a bush where arty got spotted later in the game (and of course I RNG-whiffed my shot to kill him)

Really tempts me to install a tracer mod so I can get this stupid mission, I apparently just cannot see unmodified tracers at all.

Do it. Also you can also shoot spotted arti, the unspotted part is bugged text. Update mods, etc.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

coyo7e posted:

So I have been playing this on the Xbox 360 console and I know it's nerfed to poo poo and retarded but I was trying to talk a new roommate into installing this on his monster water-cooled box, and was wondering if there's a post or anything I should point him to with a list of mods etc he should get set up ahead of time, while he watches me play the lovely version on my poorbox.

Check my post on the first page of this thread.

In other news I have no idea how to get Ace Tanker in the Pz. II G. 180 damage every 15 seconds is way less than I'm comfortable with. Anyone with any tips other than "shoot all the mans"?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Nordick posted:

He's talking about the personal mission that requires getting a win by base capture. If the last enemy tank is destroyed the game counts it as a win by extermination, even if the base was fully captured first.

Oh... That has got to suck then. Especially considering after reaching 100, there are still about 10 seconds or more before the game ends.

mmkay posted:

They do, they just appear for a really short amount of time. Unless you install a mod.

Wouldn't that mod give an unfair advantage? Are there even rules set by wargamming when it comes to modding their game, or anything goes?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

McGavin posted:

In other news I have no idea how to get Ace Tanker in the Pz. II G. 180 damage every 15 seconds is way less than I'm comfortable with. Anyone with any tips other than "shoot all the mans"?

Play it like an autoloader. Dump clip, gtfo (you're fairly mobile). Also, the bloom on shooting is terrible, so if you're engaging any farther than about 30 meters away you won't want to dump the clip at once. Fire, let reticle settle a bit, fire again.

The main thing it has is pen. You can gently caress up tier 5s good, but they'll probably ignore you because you're a tier 3 light. Use that to your advantage.

I've got something around that tank, I'll see if I can dig up any replays.

Edit: Only found one replays, and it's old as balls. :shrug:

http://www.noobmeter.com/replayDownload/1005872380.5558015487226365

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 21, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

McGavin posted:

Killshots are the way to go for low tier aces. You can't put out enough damage due to the HP pool to match the 50-100 xp or whatever per kill. Spotting damage can come close though.

Dalael posted:

Oh... That has got to suck then. Especially considering after reaching 100, there are still about 10 seconds or more before the game ends.

After a game is won, there are 5 seconds. If any tank dies, that 5 seconds starts again. You can use this to win after the enemy capped if you get lucky enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The other problem with the cap missions is that you need to do 1k damage as well, so you can't just be a sneaky gently caress and avoid everyone while rushing cap, you actually have to get into a fight and survive it by killing, each kill reducing the chance there'll be enough enemy left to allow your cap to complete

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Hellsau posted:

After a game is won, there are 5 seconds. If any tank dies, that 5 seconds starts again. You can use this to win after the enemy capped if you get lucky enough.

I've lost a couple of games to this. I'm the only remaining tank, and I cap for the win, but before the 5 seconds were up one of the defenders rushing in snapped a shot into my cupola and killed me off. GG.

Another time both teams were capping, ours was in the lead, we hit 100 and got the exclamation point, and the enemy team still had 10sec left. Then my dudes shot and killed an enemy tank...and then another tank...and another OH MY GOD and it was a draw. GG

Those loving 5 seconds man.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dalael posted:

Wouldn't that mod give an unfair advantage? Are there even rules set by wargamming when it comes to modding their game, or anything goes?

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/272/18/policy-on-prohibited-modifications

Yeah tracer mods are explicitly banned. That said, it's basically impossible to get caught :shrug:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Magres posted:

https://na.wargaming.net/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/272/18/policy-on-prohibited-modifications

Yeah tracer mods are explicitly banned. That said, it's basically impossible to get caught :shrug:

Also I think EU Wargaming basically said gently caress it, doesn't have a list of banned mods and instead tells the players to ~Use their conscience~.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Magres posted:

Let me guess... they have no mechanics in place to be able to find out?

mmkay posted:

Also I think EU Wargaming basically said gently caress it, doesn't have a list of banned mods and instead tells the players to ~Use their conscience~.

:vince:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dalael posted:

:vince:

Both of these are true.

The only way you can get caught is if WGNA gets ahold of a replay where you're using mods you're not allowed to use

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'll ask this to Southern Dandy. Are you, if at all, getting counter shot more often whilst playing arty since these missions have begun?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Dalael posted:

Well if you post a screenshot/gif/video/stream of your modded game on the forums, you might get banned, I guess. Is that a mechanic?

Magres posted:

The only way you can get caught is if WGNA gets ahold of a replay where you're using mods you're not allowed to use
Well the replay doesn't hold data about your mods, so you can just open it in a vanilla game and no one will know any better.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tracula posted:

So, what, a +1/-1 tier spread is a good idea now? I remember people bringing that up in the past as an idea and basically getting ganged up and told to git gud and that you should carry literally every game even if you're two tiers down.

I don't mind being bottom tier in "support" tanks, but I've always said that it would make more sense if tanks got different MM based on their capabilities. I mean, we already have to deal with scouts getting worse MM, so inherently bad tanks should probably get pref MM where appropriate. Examples include the Chi-Ri, VK3002, Church 7, etc.

That being said, pubbies already don't understand platooning and battle tiers, so this would probably confuse the hell out of them even though it would benefit them. The battle tier info really should be displayed prominently in-game.... In any case they really need to prevent failplatoons from being able to form in the first place.

Illegal Carrot posted:

Is there some way to combine mods from the Aslain and OMC mod packs? There are some really nice features in both that I'd like to get my hands on, but just running one installer after the other doesn't work.

I used to do this, before OMC started updating frequently enough that they had everything I wanted. What exactly does Aslain's have that OMC doesn't?

The way you can do it is to run the first pack and get the stuff exclusive to that pack, then run the second pack without clearing the res_mods folder. If there are no file conflicts everything will work, but you can't absolutely be sure of that. You could run the first pack & copy the res_mods folder, then do the second one with a clean install (overwrite res_mods), and also make a backup of the new res_mods. Then you copy one over to the other and analyze any overwrite requests.

coyo7e posted:

http://odemmortis.com/odem-mortis-modpack/

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

Play it like an autoloader. Dump clip, gtfo (you're fairly mobile). Also, the bloom on shooting is terrible, so if you're engaging any farther than about 30 meters away you won't want to dump the clip at once. Fire, let reticle settle a bit, fire again.

The main thing it has is pen. You can gently caress up tier 5s good, but they'll probably ignore you because you're a tier 3 light. Use that to your advantage.

Hellsau posted:

Killshots are the way to go for low tier aces. You can't put out enough damage due to the HP pool to match the 50-100 xp or whatever per kill. Spotting damage can come close though.

I got it. All it took was doing more damage than everyone else on my team in a tier 4 game. At 180 damage every 15 seconds and 32 penetrations in 68 shots. :psyduck:

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

mmkay posted:

I did see one of them tell a streamer not to use certain mods because they were "considered cheating". It was enemy HP bars and a regular zoom out mod by the way.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

That being said, pubbies already don't understand platooning and battle tiers, so this would probably confuse the hell out of them even though it would benefit them. The battle tier info really should be displayed prominently in-game.... In any case they really need to prevent failplatoons from being able to form in the first place.

WG could easily implement fail platoons from forming, but that does not happen due to :effort: or reasons. :iiam:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cardiac posted:

WG could easily do a lot of things to improve their game, but don't.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I think my (least) favorite part of that Q&A was when he mentioned how making Battle Assistant part of the client side options would require another arty nerf to keep balance.

Say it with me now: bullshit.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Strobe posted:

I think my (least) favorite part of that Q&A was when he mentioned how making Battle Assistant part of the client side options would require another arty nerf to keep balance.

Say it with me now: bullshit.

I agree with them heartily? The only reason artillery wasn't hilariously easy before was because you were stuck in an awful, awful view mode that puts three layers of abstraction between you and actually understanding what you're looking at. Battle Assistant makes artillery wwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyy easier and stronger. I got to the M40/43 before Battle Assistant existed, installed it, and literally called up my friend cackling about how he had to get the drat thing because of how fun/easy it makes artillery.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Axetrain posted:

I'll ask this to Southern Dandy. Are you, if at all, getting counter shot more often whilst playing arty since these missions have begun?

Things are about the same. If you're up against one arty you won't be CB'd. The more arty there are the higher the chance of some rear end in a top hat trying to kill you. With 3 arty per side it's pretty much guaranteed.

Always move after you shoot. I've been caught a few times being lazy, and it's embarrassing. You have nothing else to do for all those seconds after you fire, so you might as well shoot and scoot.

I think the rule is 2.5 heavy lengths (by that I mean figure 2.5 E100 lengths) to avoid a splash from a major arty firing gold, but I'm not really up on the finesse of things nowadays.

Oh and always assume your counterparts are firing gold. Even if you aren't firing it, most pub arty players aren't primarily arty players and will always fire gold as they are playing a "special occasion" tank. This means higher splash damage which is why you should shoot and scoot!

If you see a dedicated arty player on the enemy team, and they have more than two arty, beware. That fucker is gunning for you.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 21, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Magres posted:

I agree with them heartily? The only reason artillery wasn't hilariously easy before was because you were stuck in an awful, awful view mode that puts three layers of abstraction between you and actually understanding what you're looking at. Battle Assistant makes artillery wwwwwaaaaaaaaaayyyyy easier and stronger. I got to the M40/43 before Battle Assistant existed, installed it, and literally called up my friend cackling about how he had to get the drat thing because of how fun/easy it makes artillery.

Something makes a part of a game fun? Nerf that poo poo.

The state of arty now is loving miserable and unfun and making it worse just because there's a light at the end of the tunnel is not a positive thing. We've come a long way from beta artillery, and Battle Assistant doesn't go nearly half that far.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Strobe posted:

Something makes a part of a game fun? Nerf that poo poo.

The state of arty now is loving miserable and unfun and making it worse just because there's a light at the end of the tunnel is not a positive thing. We've come a long way from beta artillery, and Battle Assistant doesn't go nearly half that far.

Cry, pubbie, cry.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Magres posted:

Oh, we haven't had an arty discussion/whine for the last 10 pages, so I guess it is that time of the month again.

Battle assistant is great for 2 reasons.
1: It is a graphically nicer interface for arty than the top down one.
2: It is easier to see what you can hit or not, which makes trick shots harder.

Besides that, arty is the same i.e. highly irregular and you can't carry for poo poo. You are still stuck with 30-40s reloads with horrible accuracy and where actually hitting something is down to RNGesus.
Arty is even more frustrating to play with a bad team than light tanks.

Interestingly, I have a harder time to judging tank speeds with Battle Assistant compared to the top down view.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Cardiac posted:

Oh, we haven't had an arty discussion/whine for the last 10 pages, so I guess it is that time of the month again.

Battle assistant is great for 2 reasons.
1: It is a graphically nicer interface for arty than the top down one.
2: It is easier to see what you can hit or not, which makes trick shots harder.

Besides that, arty is the same i.e. highly irregular and you can't carry for poo poo. You are still stuck with 30-40s reloads with horrible accuracy and where actually hitting something is down to RNGesus.
Arty is even more frustrating to play with a bad team than light tanks.

Interestingly, I have a harder time to judging tank speeds with Battle Assistant compared to the top down view.

Top down view is still very effective

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The Southern Dandy posted:

Top down view is still very effective

For an arty sperg like you Dandy.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Flirting will only make me happier!

[e]: Like if you to get a quick shot off, top down is best versus BA.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 21, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

He is right tough, you need to know when to use which mode. On some maps the standard top down view is just better, because it allows you to see tank movements.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Battle Assistant just makes you less likely to waste a shot that's almost certainly going to hit some terrain you aren't seeing properly in top down, it doesn't increase your accuracy in any way. Night before last I was firing my GW Panther at a stationary T-54, and the shell kept going over him. Each time I'd drag the reticle a little further forward, and it would still go over him, up to the 8th and final shot where I aimed so that the T-54 was just outside the back of the reticle and the shot still went long over the top of him.

I may have tunnel visioned a little, but that fucker should have been dead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Captain Blaargh posted:

Whoo! Made it into the Boats beta!

So did I for this weekend, woo!

Also I think the -1/+1 MM is really needed now as it's too much a roll of the dice if you're going to have a fun match or not. I quite like the Black Prince, it's pretty fun if you're top/mid tier but being one of 2 Tier VII in a Tier IX match means you're just not going to have any fun at all.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Battle Assistant just makes you less likely to waste a shot that's almost certainly going to hit some terrain you aren't seeing properly in top down, it doesn't increase your accuracy in any way. Night before last I was firing my GW Panther at a stationary T-54, and the shell kept going over him. Each time I'd drag the reticle a little further forward, and it would still go over him, up to the 8th and final shot where I aimed so that the T-54 was just outside the back of the reticle and the shot still went long over the top of him.

I may have tunnel visioned a little, but that fucker should have been dead.

Son, we need to work on your firing patterns.

You don't shoot where they are, you shoot where they're going to be. Or your best estimation of that.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 21, 2015

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Ever since I got to MT14 mission: kill a heavy tank, one tier higher than you, I've been top tier in all my games. gently caress you Serb, I know it's you.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Haha those arty missions sure hosed up high tier arty. Tried two games in my gwe100 last night, with dickbacks countering/trying to counter me in both games suspiciously fast. First game had three arties on the other team (bad yellows that is), I fire a single shot and all three of them fire at me immediately. They somehow mostly missed and only took out half my health. I relocate a bit to the side before I take a new shot and move immediately after firing. Two more shells land right next to me. After relocating, firing and immediately moving again, two more shots hit me and take me out. Same loving story next battle.

I assume people are redballing like gently caress atm, because I actually can't remember the last time I was countered while unspotted in arty. Must've been before they took the old tracers out.

Took the lefh for a spin after this, and that worked quite alright. I guess the low tier arties either dont have the range for countering or are played by bads without any mods

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Maybe a stupid question, but if I complete a mission, can I claim the reward later? I don't quite know what kind of crew I want, yet.
Also, on the topic of tanks with easy requirements for marks of excellence, after 38 games my Fury is already at 68,4% :toot:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Cippalippus posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but if I complete a mission, can I claim the reward later? I don't quite know what kind of crew I want, yet.
Also, on the topic of tanks with easy requirements for marks of excellence, after 38 games my Fury is already at 68,4% :toot:

the fury rocks. played mine a bit too last night. if only the movie was 68,4%...

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Yeah it says "claim your reward" when you finish the last mission. No need to do so right away.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Southern Dandy posted:

You don't shoot where they are, you shoot where they're going to be. Or your best estimation of that.

He was in exactly the same spot every time i shot, sitting perfectly still from aim to impact, poo poo just didn't want to hit him

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Infected posted:

So Fluff/Renhanxue how much of a NDA did you have to sign for Wargaming. Any sweet goon-exclusive news that you can share in the future with us?

I haven't signed anything yet, so here are some sweet goon-exclusive news:
Yuri Pasholok wears 70's glasses and speaks really awful English. Also, for some reason saw fit to give me a signed copy of his book about the SU-152. In Russian. I don't read Russian, but I guess it has pretty pictures?

The Swedish medium/heavy branch (it's a medium branch up to tier 8, where it splits into two, so there's both heavies and mediums tier 8-10) is mostly unproblematic up to tier 8, where it takes off into sorta paper-y speculation territory if we can't use the S-tank as a medium, and it's far from certain if we can do that because they're not sure if they're gonna have time to implement support for its suspension system in time. Still, if they don't use the S-tank it seems like their plan is to just develop a tier 9 and 10 based on what is basically a napkin sketch and one (1) blueprint of a turret. Then again they claimed Wargaming's internal hierarchy is basically feodal (their exact words) so it's not just up to the historical guys.

Timeframe for the first Swedish branch is probably 2016, or maybe late 2015. I think.

Would people be interested if I posted Swedish archive stuff here? I go every week, sometimes twice a week, and I'm up to like 10000 pages of documents now so there's no shortage of content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

Would people be interested if I posted Swedish archive stuff here? I go every week, sometimes twice a week, and I'm up to like 10000 pages of documents now so there's no shortage of content.

:justpost: