Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

In It For The Tank posted:

Okay, the sample chapters for TWOW should be accessible here.

I assembled them into a vague chronological order. The list of the chapters currently released: Theon I, Arianne I, Mercy (Arya I), Arianne II (Summary), Ser Barristan I, Victarion I (Partial Transcript), Tyrion I (Brief Summary), Ser Barristan II (Summary), Tyrion II.

Oh wow cheers for that, had no idea there were so many out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Many thanks.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Vitamin P posted:

Oh wow cheers for that, had no idea there were so many out.

Get ready for 40 pages of Arianna riding a horse!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Irish Joe posted:

Get ready for 40 pages of Arianna riding a horse!

Is that what we're calling Aegon now?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

This is Maggy the Frog :pwn:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Way too attractive. Not my adaptation!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Grendels Dad posted:

Way too attractive. Not my adaptation!

Have I got the website for you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

He forgot the saggy breasts. Never forget the saggy breasts.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

It's still kind of weird to me that after saying No Flashbacks for four seasons they decided that Maggy the Frog is the first one that they're going to include.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Especially when the valonqar prophecy is so superfluous is in fueling Cersei's paranoia. Even the first time reading the books I thought that it was so clearly not originally planned.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Especially when the valonqar prophecy is so superfluous is in fueling Cersei's paranoia. Even the first time reading the books I thought that it was so clearly not originally planned.

Everything she does makes sense without the prophesy. It's only there because of GRRM's addiction to bloating his series with dumb prophesies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The one cool thing about it is that it'll be nicely ironic when either Jaime or Tommen kills her.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That wasn't the only part of the prophecy that'd help set up for Cersei's arc, though. The part of it involving Margaery is more immediately important.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I'll be curious if the show changes up the wording to make it a little more obvious.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

"Your brother will kill you"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bobjr posted:

"Your brother will kill you"

"And it will be mildly ironic and unexpected! Trying to prevent it will probably cause it."

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Steve2911 posted:

"And it will be mildly ironic and unexpected! Trying to prevent it will probably cause it."

"Why yes, I did study at the Greek School of Prophecy and Premonition. Why do you ask?"

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cersei is going to be eaten by a dragon. Probably one of the younger ones.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Trudis posted:

Probably one of the younger ones.

But they were all born at the same time?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I think the top contenders for the valonqar are:

Tyrion 3:1
Jaime 3:1
Sandor Clegane 5:1
Danaerys 7:1
Arya 15:1
Jon Snow 30:1
Aegon 50:1
Other 100:1

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

lifts cats over head posted:

Is "Other" a catch all for someone not listed here or an actual Other? Odds are probably about the same either way.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The fact that Valyrian has no gender has to be relevant, and introducing that fact while discussing the OTHER prophecy is such an obvious bait-and-switch that it has to be a woman to kill her

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do we know that Valyrian has no gendered nouns whatsoever? I thought it was just the word for "prince".

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

There is literally no way Jaime doesn't strangle Cersei to death while saying "The things I do for love".

loquacius posted:

Do we know that Valyrian has no gendered nouns whatsoever? I thought it was just the word for "prince".

TWOIAF specifically debunks the misconception caused by Aemon's delirious ramblings about erroneous translations. There is no reason to think valonqar is gender neutral.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There is literally no way Jaime doesn't strangle Cersei to death while saying "The things I do for love".

TWOIAF specifically debunks the misconception caused by Aemon's delirious ramblings about erroneous translations. There is no reason to think valonqar is gender neutral.

Even taena says little brother not little sibling, though I didn't think the aa or the Prince that was promised. prophecy referenced gender at all since they're both translated from valyrian.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

He forgot the saggy breasts. Never forget the saggy breasts.

Granted, Maggy not being a grotesque monster further plays into that Cersei POV paranoia. That's kinda a meta-casting though, I suppose.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

5:1 Salladhor Saan. Dudes short and a brother.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

5:1 Salladhor Saan. Dudes short and a brother.

And he does have a thing for Cersei. Although I can't recall if that was a show-only bit of dialogue. Either way I'm on board with the Salladhor Saan=Volanqar theory.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
my money is on the valonqar not happening and eventually cersei dies of a blood clot or tuberculosis or something.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

My money is on Val. Once it's revealed that her last name is "Onqar".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

What part, out of curiosity? I got TWOIAF for Christmas and tore through it in a couple days but I don't remember this part.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jaime being the valonqar is like Lyanna being Jon Snow's mom in that if it ends up not being the case, it still would've been better than whatever Martin/the showrunners come up with instead

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

loquacius posted:

What part, out of curiosity? I got TWOIAF for Christmas and tore through it in a couple days but I don't remember this part.

Here:

quote:

The belief that dragons could change sex at need is erroneous, according to Maester Anson’s Truth, rooted in a misunderstanding of the esoteric metaphor that Barth preferred when discussing the higher mysteries.

And here's the quote from Aemon in AFFC that people always point to suggest Valyrian is gender neutral:

quote:

What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
So one maester thinks another one is wrong.

Awoiaf also talks about how great Robert Baratheon and Joffrey are. Denies the existence of the others(saying they were probably just tough wildling raiders,) as well as skinchangers, and a myriad of things we know exist.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

In-universe, yes. But from a meta perspective that section was included for a reason, and the paragraph specifically shits on Aemon's interpretation.

This is beside the point that we know dragons have gender based on the presence of explicitly gendered dragons in TPATQ and TRP, so we know that Barth's writings have to be taken metaphorically.

(And besides that we know Aemon is completely wrong, since he concludes that Dany is the TPTWP when it's actually Jon).

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

(And besides that we know Aemon is completely wrong, since he concludes that Dany is the TPTWP when it's actually Jaime).

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

(And besides that we know Aemon is completely wrong, since he concludes that Dany is the TPTWP when it's actually Stannis).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

(And besides that we know Aemon is completely wrong, since he concludes that Dany is the TPTWP when it's actually Jon).

We know Jon is Azor Ahai, but I'm not totally convinced that Azor Ahai and TPTWP are the same person.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Mortabis posted:

We know Jon is Azor Ahai, but I'm not totally convinced that Azor Ahai and TPTWP are the same person.

I actually think doubt only exists the other way round: i.e. Jon is definitely the Prince that Was Promised but might not be AA (assuming they are different characters and not just variations on the same legend).

I believe they are one in the same, but I can understand why someone might think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

quote:

Gorghon of Old Ghis once wrote that a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is...and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time.

• Locked thread