Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Oh so you play with the combimelta rule?

I don't know what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I don't know what that is.

That's when the loser of the game shoves a combimelta in his pee hole, sorry thought you played that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
that was a really bad joke that didn't really make sense. i do not know what would make you say such a thing, but I am sure it has to do with the constant presence of carrion in your living area.

edit also I don't lose.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

that was a really bad joke that didn't really make sense. i do not know what would make you say such a thing, but I am sure it has to do with the constant presence of carrion in your living area.

edit also I don't lose.

Maybe you'd lose more often if you started playing with the combimelta rule.

IED markers :stare:

America :911:

Khorne Landraider:catstare:

Honestly the America ones aren't terrible. Just putting random words into a gallery generator really brings up some crazy things.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 21, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Those are Forgeworld trap markers, there are 3-4 more in the set and I most definitely did not pay $50 for the last set that showed up on eBay like 10 months ago.

Also who actually plays 3000 point games unless it's 2v2?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My group runs the gamut of anything from a thousand to three thousand for 1v1s, depending on who's playing and when they can show up. 2v2s usually run in the 1,000-2,000 per person range. We like Big Games And We Cannot Lie.

Also unfortunately many of the people I play with are the "Well it's in the rules so that means I can bring it", especially one of my friends who plays both Space Marines and Necrons, so yeah, pretty much anything goes. I don't like it, but that's how it is.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
My brother and I have 6 themed lists written for each of our armies, written at 1500 points. For my Tyranids, for example, themes include Heavy (maxed out monstrous creatures), Swarm (maxed out Gaunts and sheer numbers), Fast (maxed out beasts and winged bugs), Ambush (everything infiltrates or deep strikes), etc. When we play a game we each choose the list that sounds the most fun, or we roll a D6 for our army to randomly generate a matchup. If we want to play a bigger game, we tack on a 500pt allied detachment to each army to make it 2000.

Sometimes we theme the board and determine the armies based on a scenario, like an IG Heavy list holding a bunker against an Ork Horde. But randomly generating a mission with random armies is fun.

~*fOrGe ThE nArRaTiVe*~

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Arven posted:

I think I need an intervention. I decided I wanted to make a Tau army with Tempestus allies acting as Human Auxiliaries. I haven't painted or assembled half the Orks I have. I've played 2 games of 40k ever. Help.

Three boxes of tau may or may not be in the mail

Until you have yourself a 'no juice for the kids' type situation, no intervention is required. Until then your poor judgement and purchasing behavior is known as a "hobby"

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Until you have yourself a 'no juice for the kids' type situation, no intervention is required. Until then your poor judgement and purchasing behavior is known as a "hobby"

This problem can be solved by not having kids.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Either 1850, LVO/BAO lists for tournament practice and more serious stuff, or "fluff" battles of whatever army and points we really feel like. That's generally just a casual discussion that hammers out what each player wants from the game, be it forging the narrative, running an unusual or strange list, or simply wanting to play a game without facing certain units. Our local store has a huge amount of terrain, so it really facilitates the second set - I've got a running set of battles versus a Space Wolf player, where his Company is devoted to running down my (former Space Wolf) Renegades. One of our cooler battles was setting up the terrain into a improvised defensive position on my end, placing a wounded Space Wolf in the center as the relic, and then setting up some hills to create a sort of valley. Played it out that my dudes had captured one of the Wolves, who later escaped and signals for help.

I say "well, I would totally do something like that as a trap." He agrees and points out that Wolves give no poo poo, and we had a great time with my Brass Scorpion stomping up the valley, with Lone Wolves doing their damnedest (and very nearly succeeding!) to take the thing out as battle raged around it.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
3000pt games must take a long time. But if that is what you are into then go for it.

While I understand it is still kinda new I'm still surprised at all the 'no allies' stuff. There are lots of people with half finished secondary armies that make good allies and most of the chart makes fluff sense if you take the word "ally" with a grain of salt. I recently finished an audio drama about chaos tricking Tau into starting a revolution on an imperial recruitment world or something. The Tau were abandoned and captured and tortured/killed by chaplains and sisters of battle. I might be remembering it wrong, but it's not hard to see how most of the combos work out. Thankfully they cut back on the overabundance of battle bros.

I have always played based on the next tournament I have ahead of me. In recent years that has changed every time, which is a bit exhausting so my choices for armies has generally gone for simpler styles to better fit into whatever specific requirements are the next TO's decision.

For the most part it's 1850, limit two detachments, probably not both CAD, probably not self-ally and probably not come the Apocalypse allies. This also uses more tournament style VPs, so no maelstrom cards but many of the bonus points or secondaries are inspired by them. NOVA missions, BAO/LVO or maybe ATC/ETC inspired.

The North Star of my gaming is NOVA missions since that is an event I go to every year now, and it's where I actually get to play most of my games in a single year. I don't get to as many of the local events as much anymore which sucks, but oh well.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm trying to make an honour guard squad, 4 axes, 5 maces and a relic blade. Does anyone know which kits have power mauls/maces in? Dark angel veteran kit is the only one I can think of off of the top of my head. Is there a handy forge world kit or something? I'd settle for thunder hammers, I think the vanguard kit has a bunch.

25 str 6 ap4 hits on the charge is nasty.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
3K does take a long time but I'm playing with friends that have dedicated game spaces and not at a FLGS. It's getting late? gently caress it, leave the table as it is and pick it back up the next day or weekend, whatever.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

ghetto wormhole posted:

Those are Forgeworld trap markers, there are 3-4 more in the set and I most definitely did not pay $50 for the last set that showed up on eBay like 10 months ago.

Also who actually plays 3000 point games unless it's 2v2?

nah they're not forgeworld. they were a limited edition GW thing when 5th ed cities of death came out, or possibly planetstrike. i got all of them sitting around, occasionally being used. they're really cool!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Frobbe posted:

nah they're not forgeworld. they were a limited edition GW thing when 5th ed cities of death came out, or possibly planetstrike. i got all of them sitting around, occasionally being used. they're really cool!

Forgeworld was selling them a few years ago, along with a bunch of other sweet stuff they've since stopped selling. They were for Cities of Death.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm trying to make an honour guard squad, 4 axes, 5 maces and a relic blade. Does anyone know which kits have power mauls/maces in? Dark angel veteran kit is the only one I can think of off of the top of my head. Is there a handy forge world kit or something? I'd settle for thunder hammers, I think the vanguard kit has a bunch.

25 str 6 ap4 hits on the charge is nasty.

It's only the single mace but I'm reasonably sure the CSM terminators box has one in it. From what I can see a lot of the Forgeworld terminator weapon kits have at least one maul, and then some hammers that could probably be made to look quite maul-like. In terms of multiple mauls in the same box it doesn't seem like there are many options.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

FiestaNinja posted:

It's only the single mace but I'm reasonably sure the CSM terminators box has one in it. From what I can see a lot of the Forgeworld terminator weapon kits have at least one maul, and then some hammers that could probably be made to look quite maul-like. In terms of multiple mauls in the same box it doesn't seem like there are many options.

Shame. If anyone has any spare Dark Angels mauls I'll happily buy them. Might cannibalise some older models I have to get some. I don't know why I like power mauls so much when they're ap4, but they just massacre anything without a 3+ save and even then force a ton of saves on them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

AbusePuppy posted:

I'm guessing no Forge World allowed? Otherwise the Heirodule and Malanthrope are pretty good inclusions over the Skyblight. There were a TON of Tyranid lists at the tourney I went to the other week (ten out of sixty players, I believe) and several of them did quite well. Tyranids are legit these days.

There is no FW limit and I own a Malanthrope, but I do not own the current rulebook but the GT requires all legal rules and books required for any models you bring and it's not worth the cost of the book to me to field one. :/

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hollismason posted:

Honestly the America ones aren't terrible. Just putting random words into a gallery generator really brings up some crazy things.

Other than the Confederate flag and symbology, you mean. Other than the icons of a profoundly racist regime that are still worshipped by many hate groups they are not that bad, is what you're saying.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
GW just released a completely free, HH-based game. Nice of them to only release it for iOS and totally ignore Android. Again.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Wish I had one of those FW shipping vouchers, all these emails are just taunting me.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Other than the Confederate flag and symbology, you mean. Other than the icons of a profoundly racist regime that are still worshipped by many hate groups they are not that bad, is what you're saying.
I think you need to take a closer look at who you're replying to.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Drythe posted:

Wish I had one of those FW shipping vouchers, all these emails are just taunting me.

Theres a free shipping voucher you can claim for the next 10 days i think.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I thought it was only if you got one from ordering before Christmas?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Drythe posted:

I thought it was only if you got one from ordering before Christmas?

This was my understanding too.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

A Real Horse posted:

This problem can be solved by not having kids.

i do not think that this is going to be a problem for most of the posters in this thread

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

3000pt games must take a long time. But if that is what you are into then go for it.

While I understand it is still kinda new I'm still surprised at all the 'no allies' stuff. There are lots of people with half finished secondary armies that make good allies and most of the chart makes fluff sense if you take the word "ally" with a grain of salt. I recently finished an audio drama about chaos tricking Tau into starting a revolution on an imperial recruitment world or something. The Tau were abandoned and captured and tortured/killed by chaplains and sisters of battle. I might be remembering it wrong, but it's not hard to see how most of the combos work out. Thankfully they cut back on the overabundance of battle bros.

I have always played based on the next tournament I have ahead of me. In recent years that has changed every time, which is a bit exhausting so my choices for armies has generally gone for simpler styles to better fit into whatever specific requirements are the next TO's decision.

For the most part it's 1850, limit two detachments, probably not both CAD, probably not self-ally and probably not come the Apocalypse allies. This also uses more tournament style VPs, so no maelstrom cards but many of the bonus points or secondaries are inspired by them. NOVA missions, BAO/LVO or maybe ATC/ETC inspired.

The North Star of my gaming is NOVA missions since that is an event I go to every year now, and it's where I actually get to play most of my games in a single year. I don't get to as many of the local events as much anymore which sucks, but oh well.

Pretty much the same thing here, except LVO our groups standard, and how my life has been going I basically have to go to local tourneys when they pop up to get games in. I'm going to a RTT on Saturday with a list I've played exactly once. :-/

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I really don't get the no CtA thing.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Phyresis posted:

i do not think that this is going to be a problem for most of the posters in this thread

pretty sure like everyone who posts here except me is a dad

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm child-free (not child-less)

Leaves me plenty of time/money for hobby poo poo!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lungboy posted:

GW just released a completely free, HH-based game. Nice of them to only release it for iOS and totally ignore Android. Again.
It's just Clash of Clans. I watched a friend play it for a while. Small mobs of Marines run around a base and do some property damage. When I think of the Horus Heresy, I think of vast armies of traitors and loyal Marines fighting to the death, not a bunch of Death Guard guys leaving a flaming bag of dog doo on the Emperor's doorstep and TPing his palace.

ghetto wormhole posted:

I think that this thread is full of people who, like most goons, are 20somethings with some disposable income. I know that myself and the goons I play with are anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

oooooh The Annihilation nexus sounds very fun.. The three named for the Necron's so far confirmed are the Decurion detachment, The Annihilation Nexus, and the Decurion Detachment (which is apparently a new way to build a army).

Looks like that Decurion Detachment rumour where it's a detachment made up of Formations that get's a overall bonus is probably true.

http://forofreakfactory.mforos.com/...a-21/#106115551

Dynasties!!

quote:

we are introduced to the Necron Dynasties such as the all powerful Sautekh and their rivals the Mephrit and Nihilakh

I hope the two mentioned have their own special rules not just formations.

Also the codex clocks in at pretty hefty 120 pages.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 21, 2015

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

fluff maaaan

It was fun watching my buddy troll Rengade though. Nid air with the marine raven/2talon formation. Some people were piiiiissed and he walked away with 8th place.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
New Necron musings.

Since there is no "normal" C'tan, only two named ones and the Transcendent who are all part of the normal game, I assume that T'C'tan lost its Gargantuan Creature status :(

This also goes with the whole C'tan getting random attacks and only the Vault getting the super version of the powers. loving hell GW, he was the only good GC :(

Next, you can take 10 Obelisks if you want. Makes me think the Obelisk is getting downgraded to not-super heavy. That's one way of selling more kits.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

New Necron musings.

Since there is no "normal" C'tan, only two named ones and the Transcendent who are all part of the normal game, I assume that T'C'tan lost its Gargantuan Creature status :(

This also goes with the whole C'tan getting random attacks and only the Vault getting the super version of the powers. loving hell GW, he was the only good GC :(

Next, you can take 10 Obelisks if you want. Makes me think the Obelisk is getting downgraded to not-super heavy. That's one way of selling more kits.

Gargantuan Creature rules are in the core rulebook and it could easily be a Lord of War selection.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Hm, oh. Well then v :) v

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think there will be 2 LoW , the lower costing Vault and then the T'Ctan.

Stormlord has a formation. A Royal Court.Also, getting Nightlord and the Deceiver back to full grace will be amazing. Heavy Destroyers and Destroyers are seperate units looks like. No longer a upgrade.

Decurion thing looks legit.

I don't care what the changes are that mother loving Deathbringer Formation( hope its a formation) of 2 to 4 Doom Scythes formation looks awesome. Yes, yes I do want to take 4 Doom Scythes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 21, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Trying not to get too hyped about this release but hot drat.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Nox4gwLBo

A sequel was made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

"because it's not fluffy" or something like that is the typical justification. And it's true, Chaos Marines working with Traitor Guardsmen is totally unfluffy. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread