Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Do you guys think global warming might play a role in the safety of crossing the icefall and stuff like that as time goes on?

Probably but it's hard to tell from the data since the number of retards on the mountain has a big role in safety too and it's been going up exponentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

ImPureAwesome posted:

Do you guys think global warming might play a role in the safety of crossing the icefall and stuff like that as time goes on?

They're pretty sure it's going to gently caress with more than just the Icefall: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/26/everest-climate-change.html

In a nutshell, we're looking at much higher avalanche risks, increased snowfall and storms, and less stable snow and ice packs (so icy parts of the mountain sliding off its own rock, more opening and shifting of crevasses, etc.).

But yeah, the Icefall is already notorious, and most people try to cross it shortly after dawn, when it's had time to freeze more solidly overnight. Warmer overall temperatures --> less overall stability = we'll probably see more seracs tipping over and snowbridges collapsing under people's feet.

If for whatever reason I ever decided to climb Everest, I'd be seriously tempted to take the less popular/more technically difficult north route just to avoid having to cross the Icefall. Seeing videos of people crossing it is nightmare fuel.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Alan Smithee posted:

take a gopro in underwater housing so we can watch the most boring snuff film ever

Already exists. Mr. "I'm going into a deep cave underwater under conditions which will severely impair my judgement and have a safety margin measured in seconds to try to retrieve the body of another idiot who died in the same conditions" was wearing a camera as he died and that footage is online.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
speaking of that guy, I found his website earlier

http://deepcave.com/

its got some photos including of the dead people cave, the dive report from when he found the guys body and a live blog of the preparations for the retrieval

also an optimistically named future plans sections

also have a rough diagram of the cave from somewhere else

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i told my dad about this and he said he'd leave my body there for being so stupid

texasmed
May 27, 2004
There's gotta be easier corpses to find than one at 270 meters underwater, Shaw was probably just desperate

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pick posted:

i told my dad about this and he said he'd leave my body there for being so stupid

great when we can start

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

ImPureAwesome posted:

I was digging my car out of two feet of snow last winter at this time and it's raining right now so yeah probably.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Found this informative post (about body recovery) on an earlier thread, which is really worth reading.

bonestructure posted:

I wanted to kick in a couple of things about the Sherpa. Though six weeks twenty years ago does not an expert make by any means, so bear that in mind. I was told by the sirdar of our climb, Jimi Ryu, that the major reason why body recovery is such an issue is that Sherpa have a strong belief that touching a dead body is extremely unlucky and brings the wrath of spirits down on you. It's possible to hire a team to recover a body, but it'll take a lot of doing, a lot of persuading, and a lot of money offered, and that's not because of the (considerable) physical risk, but because whoever you hire to bring back a body is going to see his ordinary business disappear for at least a year, if not forever. It's virtually impossible to get a truly skilled and experienced sirdar to agree to head up a body recovery expedition.

Someone mentioned the average salary of a sirdar (climbing Sherpa) earlier in the thread; they make incredible bank by Nepali standards and they're respected and admired, they're more or less the rockstars of their community. It takes years of experience and of consistently showing above-average climbing abilities, making good decisions, and playing lesser roles in successful expeditions to get to the point where other Sherpa will recognize you as a qualified sirdar, expedition outfitters will hire you as a one, etc. Go on a body recovery effort and you've tainted yourself with bad luck and angry spirits. Porters won't want to work for you. Sherpa-run outfitters take you off their list of available sirdars. When Western people ask about you, other Sherpa just sort of smile and nod and point them elsewhere. You have to go through a fairly rigorous and long-lasting (sometimes years) set of purification actions before other Sherpa consider you not to be tainted any more, and even then if something bad happens on your first expedition out after purifying yourself, you're done. You now have a reputation for being cursed and unlucky. No Sherpa will want to work with you or hire you any more, and your lucrative career and community status just vanished. No matter how much money someone is offering for a body recovery, there are always very, very few takers, and the people who agree are either Hindu and usually from the Newari Valley (ie, not nearly as familiar or capable as a Sherpa), or completely desperate. It's almost impossible to get a Sherpa to do the actual body recovery. Even just heading up the expedition, with other people doing the actual work with the corpse, is massive bad luck in their eyes.

That ties into why the Sherpa didn't climb Everest earlier, though they certainly could have. They believe mountain summits are sacred and that spirits live there, and to go to a summit is to risk disturbing those spirits and pissing them off. If you look at photos of base camp (any climbing base camp, not just Everest) you'll see long strings of brightly-colored flags all over. Those are Buddhist prayer flags. A big part of any summit expedition (at least if you want to keep your porters and sirdar happy) is religious observances. Just for a small peak like Kusum, we still paid a visit to Tengboche monastery first and asked for the lama's blessing, so that going to the summit wouldn't anger the mountain spirit into taking revenge. This might sound goofy to Western ears but the Sherpa aren't kidding. If the climbers on a trip refuse to do whatever observances the sirdar feels is necessary, chances are the first time the tiniest thing goes wrong you'll wake up to find that half your porters have left in the night and aren't coming back. The Sherpa also believe very strongly that if you die on the mountain, you should stay on the mountain. It was your fate, you chose it, it's not for someone else to try to mess with it.

That said, don't think of Sherpa as ignorant or superstitious. All of the Sherpa I met during my time in Nepal were intelligent people who were very aware of the modern world and what was going on outside of Nepal, but they have a tightly-knit and ancient culture and a set of beliefs that are very deeply meaningful to them and central to their lives. They're also some of the friendliest, most genuinely kind, hospitable, gracious people I've ever known, ethical and loyal to a fault, incredibly brave (Jimi once got avalanched while he was fixing protection on an ice face; while we all panicked and freaked out, he suddenly popped out of a drift with a big grin, waving his ice axe and announcing "Sherpa!! Tigers of the snow!!!"), utterly uncomplaining, smart and tenacious, and tough as old boots. When they refuse body recovery, it's not out of fear or inability. Just about everyone who visits that part of Nepal leaves with a very deep and sincere admiration for the Sherpa in general. They're amazing people.

I haven't read Krakauer's book or seen the documentaries, so this might have already been thoroughly covered there, sorry if so. I did find this link, which I think is a very good explanation of both why body recovery is such a culturally fraught subject, and also illustrates the difficulty of it. This is an account from a member of an IMAX film crew of the recovery of the body of a Sherpa who was killed just above Camp 2. It details just how difficult the recovery was even relatively low on the mountain. It's not hard to extrapolate from this account how much more difficult this would be in the dead zone.

http://www.seracfilms.com/projects/...dy_recovery.htm

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Found this informative post (about body recovery) on an earlier thread, which is really worth reading.

That's pretty interesting. Westerners asking Sherpas to help with body removal is like asking them, "Hey, how much do I have to pay you to completely destroy your career and wreck all your relationships with friends and family?"

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Plant a landmine at the summit. Lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Meatwave posted:

That's pretty interesting. Westerners asking Sherpas to help with body removal is like asking them, "Hey, how much do I have to pay you to completely destroy your career and wreck all your relationships with friends and family?"

Legit question, did the family of Shiria use the same company that she hired? I figured if they were a company with no track record that was going to have the shame of her death on their heads they wouldn't mind moving her body anyway

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

oh yeah well i think the sherpa are dumb mountain nerds whos gonna prove me wrong

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Meatwave posted:

What? I'm pretty sure they don't want there to be any bodies on the mountain as it is sacred. They'd remove all the bodies if it were possible.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Cojawfee posted:

What? I'm pretty sure they don't want there to be any bodies on the mountain as it is sacred. They'd remove all the bodies if it were possible.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The Sherpa also believe very strongly that if you die on the mountain, you should stay on the mountain. It was your fate, you chose it, it's not for someone else to try to mess with it.

While I'm sure they hate Westerners making GBS threads up their mountain, literally and figuratively, it sounds like they believe the bodies of people who die there should stay there. And I agree with them. Religion aside, the risk of losing LIVING humans is not worth retrieving a corpsecicle.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I'm really enjoying Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. It's about the psychology of survival, down to the level of brain activity, memory and emotions. Discusses loads of real life examples including many mountaineering incidents (the Simpson/Yates story and a recent multiple-fatality on Mt Hood). It's drat interesting, particularly if you've ever wondered wtf some otherwise experienced person makes seemingly terrible decisions with bad consequences.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

sweat poteto posted:

I'm really enjoying Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. It's about the psychology of survival, down to the level of brain activity, memory and emotions. Discusses loads of real life examples including many mountaineering incidents (the Simpson/Yates story and a recent multiple-fatality on Mt Hood). It's drat interesting, particularly if you've ever wondered wtf some otherwise experienced person makes seemingly terrible decisions with bad consequences.

Does he explain this one?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Maneck posted:

Does he explain this one?

Paradoxical undressing is a pretty well understood symptom of advanced hypothermia. And running away from avalanches doesn't seem like a complex psychological reflex to me.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Just finished Into Thin Air and watched Storm Over Everest, it was weird to have the rest of dramatis personae talk about the event without Jon there in the Nova episode.

Let's see some dumb rich people start climbin'

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
so what exactly happened last everest season after the dozen or whatever sherpas died? did anyone besides the small self sufficient pro dudes summit? did all the giant pay-to-win climb groups sit out the season?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

XMNN posted:

speaking of that guy, I found his website earlier

http://deepcave.com/

its got some photos including of the dead people cave, the dive report from when he found the guys body and a live blog of the preparations for the retrieval
Ive watched the video of the deadly recovery dive probably a dozen times. The moment he sees an entanglement hazard he should have aborted. We all violate some of the red line rules but on a dive THAT deep, the moment things stop going perfectly he should have gotten out. His descent was fast and well executed, but the turn he makes around the body is just asking to get entangled in line or gear.

There's a reason overhead environment divers carry 3+ knives on them and it's not to fight off sharks.

Bishop fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 26, 2015

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Damo posted:

so what exactly happened last everest season after the dozen or whatever sherpas died? did anyone besides the small self sufficient pro dudes summit? did all the giant pay-to-win climb groups sit out the season?

Pretty much exactly what you said.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

I've been lurking these Everest threads for the past few years and have picked up so many good book and documentary recommendations from them. I'm just about to start High Crimes, hopefully it's not quite as whiny as people earlier in the thread said.

Occasionally I do get a mad urge to climb Everest, until I remember I don't actually have a death wish (but I do have mobility problems and dodgy lungs, which would really add to the experience).

Also, the more I read about cave diving, the more it sounds terrifying as gently caress.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
one thing to look forward to this year:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/kilian-jornet-sky-runner?intcid=mod-latest

quote:

Montaz-Rosset told me that the aim will be to run up and down the northern Tibet side starting from one of the last inhabited places before base camp, Rongbuk Monastery, at sixteen thousand four hundred feet. That route would translate to some twelve thousand five hundred feet of elevation gain—a little less than on Aconcagua. Jornet intends to carry only a backpack, without oxygen or the assistance of fixed ropes or other climbers.

If he succeeds, he will hold another F.K.T. by virtue of being the first to speed-ascend-descend the Tibetan route, Russell Brice, a longtime Everest guide and the owner of the mountaineering-guide company Himalayan Experience, told me in an e-mail. He believes Jornet has the ability to set the F.K.T. But he has also cautioned Jornet to have ample support and advised that he first gain experience on another major Himalayan peak. “For mountain runners like Kílian, they just keep pushing the limits until one day they say that is enough,” Brice said. “Or, they in fact have an accident and do not survive.”

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So speed-running mountains is a thing now?

Or in this case, speed-dying I guess.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Yes and that guy is the king of mountain running.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

quote:

he will hold another F.K.T. by virtue of being the first to speed-ascend-descend the Tibetan route while carrying a dvd copy of Men in Black 3

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats the guy who ran up the Eiger right? Man, he's going to provide us all with a hilarious death some day. I hope it has more detail than the snowboard guy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if you can beat "gently caress you old man" *dies while snowboarding down everest*.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

My 5-year old loves Hidden Object games, and when I was looking for some new ones I found Expedition Everest, so of course I bought it for him. I was surprised to see it was narrated by an animated Ed Viestures. He gives little Everest facts and climbing and camping tips throughout the game, and even has his photo album with Everest pictures and videos you can flip through. Pretty cool. (Too bad the game has little to do with Everest until the very end, and then it just gets super weird.)

Unfortunately, now my little guy wants to climb Mt. Everest. It's all he talks about. He also wants to be an inventor when he grows up, so he has plans to build a restaurant inside the mountain with an elevator up to the top. It's sad that he has exactly as much mountain climbing experience as the yellow suit chick.

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding

Troublemaker posted:

My 5-year old loves Hidden Object games, and when I was looking for some new ones I found Expedition Everest, so of course I bought it for him. I was surprised to see it was narrated by an animated Ed Viestures. He gives little Everest facts and climbing and camping tips throughout the game, and even has his photo album with Everest pictures and videos you can flip through. Pretty cool. (Too bad the game has little to do with Everest until the very end, and then it just gets super weird.)

Unfortunately, now my little guy wants to climb Mt. Everest. It's all he talks about. He also wants to be an inventor when he grows up, so he has plans to build a restaurant inside the mountain with an elevator up to the top. It's sad that he has exactly as much mountain climbing experience as the yellow suit chick.

Show him slideshow of dead bodies in the mountain and yell "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU! WANT TO TRY IT?" Gag him, leave only one snot hole open for breathing, tie his arms and legs so he can't move and stuff him in the freezer for 15 minutes.
That should sort him out.
Elevator idea is cool though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Where did he buy the DVD though, that's pretty key.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Is this it?

http://www.mysteinbach.ca/game-zone/97/hidden-expedition-everest/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Troublemaker posted:

Don't ever show him Kickstarter until he's of age. And then you can mercilessly ridicule him

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats the guy who ran up the Eiger right? Man, he's going to provide us all with a hilarious death some day. I hope it has more detail than the snowboard guy.

How is that even going to work with all the people queuing to get past certain parts?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Maneck posted:

How is that even going to work with all the people queuing to get past certain parts?

World's highest game of leapfrog.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
it owns that one of the best ways to get down after you actually climb everest is to just hang-glide for like 45 mins

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Just started reading 'The Last Hours on Everest' by Graham Hoyland, it has some great facts I didn't know about Everest, and also the mapping of the area 'The Great Trigonometrical Survey'- a massive undertaking that took 60 years to complete and where Everest got it's name....the man in charge for the bulk of the time was George Everest (actually pronounced EVE-REST)

. There is this story of one of the men-I should add that the British (who along with the Indians) were carrying out this survey were banned from entering Nepal- who went in undercover to figure out the course of a river.

quote:

Around 1880, the Tsangpo River was still a mystery. Was this river, which flows from west to east through Tibet, perhaps the same river that flows into the Bay of Bengal under the name of Brahmaputra, as Nain Singh thought? To find this out, the colonial government of India sent a Sikkimese pundit named Kinthup into Tibet, together with a Chinese lama, as whose servant he would act. They were to throw logs into the Tsangpo, fifty logs a day for ten days. Along the Brahmaputra, surveyors would be on the lookout for these logs. However, the lama proved unreliable. He wasted time on flirting with various women and eating and drinking with his colleagues, and then sold Kinthup to a Tibetan lama. After seven months in slavery, Kinthup managed to escape, and travelled east along the Tsangpo. His master nearly captured him, but he fled into a Buddhist monastery, and the head lama bought him from his previous owner.
Despite all, Kinthup was still dedicated to his task, and after a few months he asked permission to make a pilgrimage, and used his leave to cut and mark the logs. He did not throw them in the water yet - it was eighteen months since he had left India, and he realized that no one would be looking for the logs any more. So Kinthup returned to the monastery, some time later asked for permission to make a pilgrimage again, and went to Lhasa, where he had a fellow Sikkimese bring a letter to the survey authorities to tell about his fate, and announce when he would be throwing the logs into the river. Kinthup returned to the monastery, and on his next leave threw the logs into the river as announced. Only then he returned to India, but there disappointment awaited him. His letter had not reached India, and his report of his travels was not believed.

Kinthup left the survey and became a tailor. Only many years later did geographers realize that his reports and his story were completely correct - and that the Tsangpo and the Brahmaputra were indeed the same river.
http://www.infomutt.com/k/ki/kinthup.html

quote:

Kinthup, a Lepcha man from Sikkim, was an explorer in the area of Tibet in the 1880s. He is best known for his impressive devotion to duty in surveying a previously unknown area of Tibet.[1]

In the 1870s, the destination of the Tsangpo River (sometimes spelled "Sanpo") was unknown. Some hypothesized that it was the same river that flowed into the Bay of Bengal under the name of Brahmaputra (also known as "Dihang")? To solve this mystery, the colonial government of India sent a pundit explorer, known only as "G. M. N." to follow the Tsangpo and determine its ultimate destination. G. M. N. was accompanied by his assistant, a Sikkimese lepcha named Kinthup.[1] After surveying a good portion of the river, the pair returned to India. In 1880, a Chinese Lama was employed to continue G. M. N.'s work, and Kinthup was again hired to accompany him.[1] However, in May 1881, this Lama sold Kinthup as a slave to another Tibetan lama. All of Kinthup's surveying equipment and notebooks were taken from him, and he served as a slave until March 1882, when Kinthup finally managed to escape.[1] He traveled east along the Tsangpo, and sought sanctuary in a Buddhist monastery, where he was welcomed by the head lama.

Despite this Kinthup carried out his surveying. Over the course of two and a half years, under the guise of religious pilgrimages, he made several long trips, surveying the extent of the Tsangpo and surrounding region, determining that the two rivers were indeed one and the same. Finally, in November 1884, he was able to return to India.[1] It was not until 2 years later that his account was even recorded, and even then, his extraordinary accounts were doubted by some geographers.[1] It was only more than 30 years later, when a proper survey was carried out, was his story confirmed.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinthup

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

raditts posted:

So speed-running mountains is a thing now?

Or in this case, speed-dying I guess.

Awesome peaks done quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Are there many expeditions due to go up this year? Presumably any that are going are in the latter stages of planning/preparation now, are there estimated numbers yet?

• Locked thread