Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I've really been liking the look of the Near Future packs lately, especially for satellites and stations.

I call it the Redundancy Probe. Those are 2.5m structural sections and it orbits Minmus for no reason at all. :jeb:

Edit: Link fixed.

Mina fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

Also, it was a few pages back, but somebody mentioned a mod for tiny grappling claws?

There are probably others, but TweakScale lets you resize the regular grappling claw. There's also a flat grappling claw in the Hangar mod I think (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88933-0-90-0-Hangar-v2-0-2-2), but I haven't tried it.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Geirskogul posted:

After that other poster said he watched PlanetES after I suggested he watch PlanetES, I decided to re-watch PlanetES (last viewing was in 2004-5 via fansubbed groups, when I was still in high school), and I'm really digging it [again]. It makes me wish for customized EVA suits, though. Was there a good mod for something like that?

Also, it was a few pages back, but somebody mentioned a mod for tiny grappling claws?

One of the mods in Roverdude's constellation has a tiny grappling claw, I think he said it was Advanced Mining Technologies.

As for changing spacesuits, TextureReplacer offers that functionality. If you scroll down a bit there's even a small index of various texturepacks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

KSP now supports up to 11 joysticks, each with up to 20 axes.
Finally time to build that space capsule in my living room!

I just hope they then add support for differential throttle assignments for engines at some point.

And maybe even control remapping during gameplay.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Max please tell me dV is going to be on the new panel.

Please max-san

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
What's the difference between the two asteroid mining mods (Asteroid Recycling Technologies and Advanced Mining Technologies) by Roverdude? I haven't tried either, but they both seem to be about asteroid mining, though documentation is scarce.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
How do you even get to an asteroid? Every time one shows up it's at some weird trajectory that goes super fast and usually comes from above or below Kerbin.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

karl fungus posted:

How do you even get to an asteroid? Every time one shows up it's at some weird trajectory that goes super fast and usually comes from above or below Kerbin.

That one is probably unreachable but if you keep looking there should be others on easier trajectories.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…in fact, with even the tiniest bit of luck, you'll soon find one that will slam straight into Kerbin unless you go up there and change its mind. It's a lot easier getting there in those cases, but actually making the trajectory do what you want is still a different matter.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you get really really really lucky some will get temporarily captured by the mun in a reverse gravity slingshot (or you can do this yourself)

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I guess it's pretty realistic because if Kerbin was being impacted by asteroids on a daily basis, Kerbals wouldn't have evolved. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the issue for me is always that, while I can match orbits with the asteroid, when it enters the SOI my catcher craft will inevitably be on opposite sides of the orbit, leading to never getting a close encounter.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

karl fungus posted:

I made my first interplanetary manned vessel! The thing just has a landing can and some RCS thrusters on top, and underneath it there's a nuclear stage, a skipper stage, and four mainsails as boosters. It'll get the kerbs there, but will it get them back?!

Duna has a thin atmosphere they say and they really weren't kidding. Parachutes have a pressure limit so they won't deploy in space, if you look at your altimeter on the pic where you crash the ship was still around 6km above Duna sea level. That's about where I'd expect them to open. If you want to use chutes to land on Duna, you have to pick a low level landing spot and come in shallow so that you slow down a lot with aero braking then the chutes pop around 6km and take you down.

Or forget chutes, pick a nice high spot to land on and do a powered landing knowing that you will not have any trouble taking off again because you landed in what amounts to vacuum. You might want to look at the wiki page for Duna http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Duna, scale height of 3km means that at 6km the pressure is around 0.01 which is what? The cut off value for chutes...

karl fungus posted:

You can reach any of them but the faster they are or further in before you notice them can mean you having to burn an escape course yourself to get to them in time. In 0.24 (or was it 0.25, they blur together) I captured every asteroid that entered Kerbins SoI - 26 of them:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

nielsm posted:

[joystick stuff]

I just hope they then add support for differential throttle assignments for engines at some point.

And maybe even control remapping during gameplay.

It'd be nice if you could toggle between "plane" and "rocket" modes, since the last time I tried using a joystick, I got confused, since you ideally want to swap yaw and roll when you switch between planes and rockets.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

Apoffys posted:

What's the difference between the two asteroid mining mods (Asteroid Recycling Technologies and Advanced Mining Technologies) by Roverdude? I haven't tried either, but they both seem to be about asteroid mining, though documentation is scarce.

ART is if you want to hollow out asteroids to put stuff in. AMT is more about resource extraction.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Avenging Dentist posted:

It'd be nice if you could toggle between "plane" and "rocket" modes, since the last time I tried using a joystick, I got confused, since you ideally want to swap yaw and roll when you switch between planes and rockets.

There is a mod that deals with that : Advanced Fly-by-Wire, it's also on CKAN. Makes it so you can tweak your button/axis assignements in game, it can handle analog triggers for throttle increment and allows multiple profiles and cycling between them with a button. Its quite nice if only for a few weird things like trim having the same sensibility as the axis itself and it not working for EVA

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Kafouille posted:

There is a mod that deals with that : Advanced Fly-by-Wire, it's also on CKAN. Makes it so you can tweak your button/axis assignements in game, it can handle analog triggers for throttle increment and allows multiple profiles and cycling between them with a button. Its quite nice if only for a few weird things like trim having the same sensibility as the axis itself and it not working for EVA

I've wanted a mod like this for a while, but now I'm used to flying rockets with the keyboard and planes with a 360 controller. Maybe if I go complete space-sim :spergin: and get a HOTAS setup I'll switch, but then I might end up playing dangerous amounts of Elite:Dangerous.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Maxmaps, is there any chance of getting a tiny modding improvement to Part? This is mainly as ratzap is trying to create a generic version of fusebox, but it could be applied to other resources too. It would be really useful to have an event for when resources are requested on a part.
code:
public delegate void ResourceRequested(Part sender, int resourceId, double requested, double amount);

public event ResourceRequested OnResourceRequested;
then inside part when a resource is requested (for whatever part.RequestResource(...) wraps into) :
code:
if (OnResourceRequested != null)
{
    OnResourceRequested(this, resourceID, demand, amount);
}
That way every time a resource changes, another module can see it changed. This is very similar to INotifyPropertyChanged. Using this you could very easily visualise which part is consuming a particular resource and potentially highlight it to the user (if the plugin does that).

Downsides to this, if a lot of code starts sitting on top of what should be a lightweight system, it could get very slow. A smarter way would be to cache this per game tick and fire the event once. Something like this, albeit not so tiny. Minimal memory usage and churn, fast lookups and minimal notification of resources changing. Feel free to use and modify if you want to. It's completely untested and unproven but should prove the point. The only danger area is having things that watch these events never clear their events off of the event when they should no longer be watching (for example when a part disconnects from a ship) and causing a memory leak.

edit: usage of the event
code:
// whenever
part.OnResourceRequested += OnPartConsumedResource;

// and when this object is done watching this particular part
part.OnResourceRequested -= OnPartConsumedResource;

// callback
private void OnPartConsumedResource(PartExtension sender, int resourceId, double demand, double supply)
{
    // magic goes here
}

Dred_furst fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 21, 2015

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dred_furst posted:

Maxmaps, is there any chance of getting a tiny modding improvement to Part? This is mainly as ratzap is trying to create a generic version of fusebox, but it could be applied to other resources too. It would be really useful to have an event for when resources are requested on a part.

Hear this plea oh Maxmaps, PR lord of the Kerbals! Seriously, getting charge info from stock and modded parts is a nightmare. Hooking into RequestResource would make the pain go away.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Is it a known bug for the cockpit of Roverdude's command pods to be fully transparent, right through the opposite wall of the pod?

I think I should be seeing a kerb and the inside of the pod here?

e: it ate my test pilot too. :(

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 21, 2015

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I got fed up of having no money at all in Career mode, so started a new game in Science mode, which is alot nicer, i have just put my first Kerbal in orbit and on attempting to EVA to get more science i jumped off the modual, and can't grab it again, do i need a ladder or something? I am also finding it almost impossible to fly back to the modual with the jetpack, if anyone can lend some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
e: nvm. You probably do want a ladder to grab, yeah. Most pods have a small ladder, but if the craft has rotation it can throw you off.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Dred_furst posted:

code:
public delegate void ResourceRequested(Part sender, int resourceId, double requested, double amount);

public event ResourceRequested OnResourceRequested;
then inside part when a resource is requested (for whatever part.RequestResource(...) wraps into) :
code:
if (OnResourceRequested != null)
{
    OnResourceRequested(this, resourceID, demand, amount);
}
That way every time a resource changes, another module can see it changed. This is very similar to INotifyPropertyChanged. Using this you could very easily visualise which part is consuming a particular resource and potentially highlight it to the user (if the plugin does that).

Downsides to this, if a lot of code starts sitting on top of what should be a lightweight system, it could get very slow. A smarter way would be to cache this per game tick and fire the event once. Something like this, albeit not so tiny. Minimal memory usage and churn, fast lookups and minimal notification of resources changing. Feel free to use and modify if you want to. It's completely untested and unproven but should prove the point. The only danger area is having things that watch these events never clear their events off of the event when they should no longer be watching (for example when a part disconnects from a ship) and causing a memory leak.

edit: usage of the event
code:
// whenever
part.OnResourceRequested += OnPartConsumedResource;

// and when this object is done watching this particular part
part.OnResourceRequested -= OnPartConsumedResource;

// callback
private void OnPartConsumedResource(PartExtension sender, int resourceId, double demand, double supply)
{
    // magic goes here
}

Tasked. Shouldn't be much of a hassle.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Is it just me, or do the planned-orbits for contracts show up in the tracking/map view even if you don't accept? I keep having various orbits displaying even though I've not accepted the relevant contracts. Is there any way to make that go away?

On a somewhat related note, I would love it if there was an in-game way to make your own contracts, like a mission planner, just without the rewards. So you could specify an orbit, gets stats on it (like orbit period, time in shadow, etc). This is mostly due to my recent frustrations getting some missions going... like launching a ship that had insufficient battery life to last through Kerbin's shadow (and what's up with some things doing charge/sec, some doing charge/min?), launching a ship with an antenna that wouldn't cover the distance, a ship without enough panels to charge the batteries fully or that can't power the ion engines. Most of my launches are a launch -> realize I'm an idiot and forgot something -> revert to VAB process and I wish I could cut down on some of that by actually planning some things out, having DV readouts for the whole mission...

On an unrelated note, I just downloaded routine mission manager so plan to try that out tonight. Sounds like it will make a lot of the boring stuff easier to deal with, like resupplying my space station. Is there any mod for 0.90 that does microwave power? I am using that Cacteye telescope mod and my telescope constantly jitters in space, I assume it's due to the solar panels tracking so wanted to try a microwave-powered telescope sat to eliminate moving parts. I think Interstellar had this, but from the looks of it it's not fully updated for 0.90 yet.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I got fed up of having no money at all in Career mode, so started a new game in Science mode, which is alot nicer, i have just put my first Kerbal in orbit and on attempting to EVA to get more science i jumped off the modual, and can't grab it again, do i need a ladder or something? I am also finding it almost impossible to fly back to the modual with the jetpack, if anyone can lend some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

You need to get quite close to the door/hatch of the command module to enter, but it should be possible (hotkey to grab the ladder or enter the pod is F) even if there's no ladder (a ladder would give you a bigger target to hit though).

With the jetpack, remember that you're moving relative to the camera and to be very careful about moving since any thrust from the jetpack will have to be cancelled out by thrusting in the opposite direction to "stop" (relative to your ship). Focus on stopping your movement relative to the ship first, then carefully move back. For example, if you're moving away from the ship, face the ship and then burn forwards (W) until you start moving towards the ship again. When you get near the ship, slow down by burning backwards (S). Try not to move the camera around too much, as it can be a bit disorienting as the Kerbal rotates to match the camera movement when you use the jetpack.

Here's the relevant wiki with hotkeys etc: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/EVA#Free_fall
Here's a video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04AykXBfEL4

Koobze posted:

On an unrelated note, I just downloaded routine mission manager so plan to try that out tonight. Sounds like it will make a lot of the boring stuff easier to deal with, like resupplying my space station. Is there any mod for 0.90 that does microwave power? I am using that Cacteye telescope mod and my telescope constantly jitters in space, I assume it's due to the solar panels tracking so wanted to try a microwave-powered telescope sat to eliminate moving parts. I think Interstellar had this, but from the looks of it it's not fully updated for 0.90 yet.

I've had a similar problem with SAS, no idea what causes it. If you just want to eliminate moving parts though, couldn't you just tweakscale the non-moving solar panels or the RTG to get enough power? Wouldn't be as good as a tracking solar panel, but it should get the job done.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Koobze posted:

Is it just me, or do the planned-orbits for contracts show up in the tracking/map view even if you don't accept? I keep having various orbits displaying even though I've not accepted the relevant contracts. Is there any way to make that go away?

It's not just you. You can reject them if you like.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Koobze posted:

It's so you can see what the objectives are for orbit (and survey) contracts *before* you accept, to give you a better idea of what's being asked for. If you had to accept a survey contract to discover it's the far side of the world you'd get a bit annoyed. Same with weird orbits. It's a lot easier to actually see the requested orbit than it is to try to judge from the numbers.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Apoffys posted:

I've had a similar problem with SAS, no idea what causes it. If you just want to eliminate moving parts though, couldn't you just tweakscale the non-moving solar panels or the RTG to get enough power? Wouldn't be as good as a tracking solar panel, but it should get the job done.

Yeah that's a good idea, I haven't unlocked the RTG yet but will do that tonight and try it out. And I guess with Routine Mission Manager I may be able to set up a mission to repair the Cacteye-included SAS modules which apparently have toggle-able force so you can make it really weak, may help with the precise adjustments needed to keep a distant planet in focus, it's just that the module apparently degrades over time so I haven't tried it yet.

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's not just you. You can reject them if you like.

Brovine posted:

It's so you can see what the objectives are for orbit (and survey) contracts *before* you accept, to give you a better idea of what's being asked for. If you had to accept a survey contract to discover it's the far side of the world you'd get a bit annoyed. Same with weird orbits. It's a lot easier to actually see the requested orbit than it is to try to judge from the numbers.

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess rejecting them to clear up my map is the way to go. A bit annoying, wish there was a toggle in the contract window to show/hide it on the map or something. It'd also be nice if I could select the orbit to target, like you do other planets for rendezvous etc... but it's not so bad I guess.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Koobze posted:

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess rejecting them to clear up my map is the way to go. A bit annoying, wish there was a toggle in the contract window to show/hide it on the map or something. It'd also be nice if I could select the orbit to target, like you do other planets for rendezvous etc... but it's not so bad I guess.

Well, for planets/ships there's a discreet rendezvous taking place. For orbits you just have to match it. The AN/DN is provided, which allows you to match inclination, and then it's just a case of matching direction and Ap/Pe.

Fun trick for huge retrograde orbits: match the plane, get to the ap, then reverse direction and burn until the Peri is at the desired mark. Boom, contract done. A lot easier than launching retrograde, anyway.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Are there mods that add more planets?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

karl fungus posted:

Are there mods that add more planets?

There have been several, but they never seem to catch on the way the more popular mods like Kerbal Engineer or Karbonite or whatever do, and eventually die out. I'm not up to date on which ones work well with the current version of KSP and are worth trying. Has anyone been keeping up with this?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I haven't used any of them, but I browse the official forums a decent amount.

Real Solar System has been around for a while, and is up to 0.90. Looks pretty, and sounds harder and more time consuming.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-90-Real-Solar-System-v8-5-Dec-23

Outer Planets adds outer planets, one with a ring system. Seems fairly detailed (over 300 unique biomes!), but still working on biomes for all the bodies.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/104280-0-90-Outer-Planet-Mods-Expands-the-Kerbol-system-with-new-planets-based-on-Saturn

Kopernicus: "Common Community API/Modpack for Planet Creators". Link includes link to planet packs
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102363-Kopernicus-Core-Common-Community-API-Modpack-for-Planet-Creators-Version-1-2-6

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 22, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

Ah, of course!

Now all that's missing is some kind of EVA blowtorch or whatever to disassemble stacked parts.
That really should exist for a multitude of reasons.

Just came across it. Haven't used it, but remembered the good idea.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83619-0-90-ChopIt!-Detach-parts-in-flight!-And-new-let-them-explode-v2-6-0-2015-01-03

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Count Roland posted:

I haven't used any of them, but I browse the official forums a decent amount.

Real Solar System has been around for a while, and is up to 0.90. Looks pretty, and sounds harder and more time consuming.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55145-0-90-Real-Solar-System-v8-5-Dec-23

Real Solar System is awesome, but it doesn't really add planets- it just moves them around and changes their properties. For example, Minmus is moved way to the outer solar system and is meant to represent Uranus, but it still has the name Minmus.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Luneshot posted:

Real Solar System is awesome, but it doesn't really add planets- it just moves them around and changes their properties. For example, Minmus is moved way to the outer solar system and is meant to represent Uranus, but it still has the name Minmus.

RSS, especially the career RP-0 one is in a bit of a mess at the moment. TACLS still isn't officially updated, the igniter mod is broken and not updated, Tech manager and community tech tree are both not updated, costs are all over the place with a lot of things set to 0 just so people can get anything done. A real pity because I enjoyed RPL (the previous incarnation of RP-0) but funds and contracts broke it horribly. Just getting it installed puts a lot of folk off because with the broken/old mods CKAN fails - it has to be done by hand.

Maxmaps posted:

Tasked. Shouldn't be much of a hassle.

Crossed fingers, thanks for passing it on.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Echoing that, don't install RSS thinking it'll give you a good career experience. There's movement in the github for RP-0 though, particularly integration with KCT, so hopefully it'll be coming along soon.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Jeb received a quick death on Duna, but what will Bill get on the first manned mission to Eve?!

Here we go! :jeb:

Forgot to pack up those solar panels.

No more solar panels.

Great view from inside the can.

Floating down gently.

Getting close!

One small step for..

.. aw gently caress I traveled millions of miles and landed on my exit hatch

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

karl fungus posted:

Jeb received a quick death on Duna, but what will Bill get on the first manned mission to Eve?!

Here we go! :jeb:

Forgot to pack up those solar panels.

No more solar panels.

Great view from inside the can.

Floating down gently.

Getting close!

One small step for..

Parachutes make landing on eve a bit easier, but you gotta make a nice fat bottomed lander. Radially attach short tanks+engines around the bottom with landing legs.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

karl fungus posted:

Surely with the extra SAS module you can get enough force going to get rolling a bit... Until your power runs out at least, RIP solar panels (and Bill).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Also, you should turn SAS on stability assist when landing, it will help to fight the tilt. You can also help fight it even more manually if you notice it soon enough and understand how w-a-s-d corresponds to the nav-ball. Like VodeAndreas said, if you close up your gears and do some wiggling you may be able to right yourself since you have a reaction wheel installed.