Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Moniker posted:

Heh, I considered doing it too. It's on my list of sites to create. I'd just use a content scraper and auto-blogger. Then I'd tie it into the FB API so that every new blog post is a new FB post. Steal my idea if you want.

gently caress it, let's do it together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

invision posted:

If you guys do this, can I 'sit in' on it somehow? I'm still really new to this whole blogging business and content scrapers/auto-bloggers don't sound like something I want to use, but I still want to learn about them.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
What plugins do you guys use to increase email subscriptions? Optinmonster seems to be the hot one right now, but it is pretty pricey for a yearly license. Wanted to make sure there weren't any good free ones before I pulled the trigger.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Mailchimp and Jet pack both come highly recommended.

Anecdotally, Ive only had spam bots sign up for my email subscription after over a year of a sign up being on my sidebar

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

KetTarma posted:

Mailchimp and Jet pack both come highly recommended.

Anecdotally, Ive only had spam bots sign up for my email subscription after over a year of a sign up being on my sidebar

I'm dumb and never really pushed email subs, but I don't think I've ever had a bot sign up.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

KetTarma posted:

Did you have mailchimp (or whatever you were using) set to send a confirmation email to the subscriber? That eliminates spam and makes sure you have the correct email address.

I think I am going to stop using adsense on my website and just use a discreet paypal donation button to cover hosting costs. Not worth the couple bucks a month I earn to have gaudy ads when my goal is to build a subscriber list for the ebook I'm writing.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I've just used aweber and their form codes to create my opt-in graphics.

Worked for me. As I've built a 3,000 list of subscribers for my football product, 1,200 for my blog that is stake, and 800 for my gym.

Football and blog are just auto traffic stuff mainly from YouTube video traffic.

They are all like 99% real emails and people though.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

invision posted:

I've got too much going on to try and really put forth the effort. :(

quote:

What plugins do you guys use to increase email subscriptions?
Do you want to increase subs or do you want an easy way to manage them?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I'm in the middle of a free 2 week trial of Semrush - although it's awesome I couldn't imagine paying 70 bucks (on the low end) a month for it. How many blogs or how much profit would you need to be making to justify that cost?

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Royal Jeans posted:

I'm in the middle of a free 2 week trial of Semrush - although it's awesome I couldn't imagine paying 70 bucks (on the low end) a month for it. How many blogs or how much profit would you need to be making to justify that cost?

I have a free trial of the Guru edition right now, and I don't see a lot of value unless you're running an SEO agency. I also have the paid of Ahrefs and Majestic and I haven't found anything yet on SEM I can't find on those two.

They're absolute necessities if you want to rank for competitive terms for their backlink reports. Or if you plan on buying expired domains to make sure they're clean.

Pierce and Pierce fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 5, 2015

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
For everyone here I highly suggesting submitting your blog to alltop.com. Just go to the bottom of their page under submissions and pick your niche, link your feed, and wait. I've been accepted with two blogs now, both within a few hours of applying.

They've got a ton of different categories and it's a syndication type site; occasionally your posts will land on their 'most popular' stories in your niche and it can be a decent amount of traffic. And it's a free backlink with little effort. I set up a new blog a few months back, only have 12 posts and they accepted it.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Royal Jeans posted:

For everyone here I highly suggesting submitting your blog to alltop.com. Just go to the bottom of their page under submissions and pick your niche, link your feed, and wait. I've been accepted with two blogs now, both within a few hours of applying.

They've got a ton of different categories and it's a syndication type site; occasionally your posts will land on their 'most popular' stories in your niche and it can be a decent amount of traffic. And it's a free backlink with little effort. I set up a new blog a few months back, only have 12 posts and they accepted it.

Thanks!

Anyone else think the OP should be updated? A lot has changed in the past four years. At the very least it might help to have stuff like this linked in the OP instead of an outdated list of goon blogs.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Not just the op, maybe an entirely new thread. A lot has changed since this thread started and a lot of the advice given is no longer current.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I agree that a redo is in order.

I discovered criticue.com today, and I can't believe how much fun I'm having reviewing websites. It's a free site that lets you either upload an image of a site you'd like reviewed based on design.

I have yet to receive any reviews on my submission, so I can't say if it's been constructive or not. It works off of a credit system - you won't get your site reviewed until you review someone elses. I have no idea what the turn around is on receiving feedback, but I'm having fun just reviewing away.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Royal Jeans posted:

This is awesome! Took about an hour for my page to get the welcome aboard email. Now to flood with content..

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I had a post of mine get popular on Pinterest all of a sudden - so I think I'm going to be tweaking my images a bit more to be Pinterest friendly from now on.

I'm sure it doesn't work well with certain niches, but if you have any cool photos on your blog I'd give it a try. https://blog.bufferapp.com/pinterest-marketing-guide-tips

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
So I'm trying to help my sister set up a website for her husbands capentry/home repair/whatever business. She just wants something that she can post updates, pictures, and user submitted reviews. I figure wordpress will be fine, but I can't seem to find a decent review plugin that will work properly. any recommendations?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

There are premium themes available on Theme Forest that have that built in.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hey goon bros. I'm curious if you guys might suggest a way to find a business opportunity via search. I'm looking for digital agencies/start-ups the kind that do digital marketing, seo, content, developers etc, that also go crazy for coffee. I sell coffee in the mart, and also run a site that's linked at the start of this thread and it provides me enough money to satisfy my cheese puff and wow raiding lifestyle. I'm kidding. Slightly. I'm just looking for agencies that I could sell my coffee as office coffee to.

I feel as if I can find a good string of keywords that I might find a few leads. To start I did - digital agency "we love coffee" - and found a few. Local searches might be good too? What do you guys think? I guess bonus points if anyone is stuck in the agency/freelance world in the thread?

I used to work at one, and have done my share of slave labor working under sperglords....I mean "freelance" and helping fellow bros is kind of my way of giving back

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I'm going to guess that most agencies/businesses probably won't have their love of coffee advertised on their pages anywhere. Maybe search for caffeine, I know I've heard of fueled by caffeine mentioned here and there. I think you might be better off just reaching out to agencies - I mean who doesn't love coffee?

On an unrelated note a few days ago I ran across this article about running a Stumble Upon paid discovery campaign - http://todaymade.com/blog/stumble-upon-paid-discovery-how-to/

I figured it's only $10 so I'd give it a shot. I chose what I feel is my most valuable article and set up my campaign. I can say it did great for bringing in a ton of traffic - though it has a pretty high bounce rate .

For $10 I paid for 71 visits - and because people were 'liking' it enough it started earning regular (unpaid) ones as well. So I added another $10 to see what would happen if my score got higher.

It ended last night; when I got home from work today I checked my dashboard and was a bit surprised to see this:

I was already happy enough with the bump once the campaign started yesterday, I had no idea it would bring in this much traffic. So if you're looking for some cheap traffic you might want to consider stumble upon paid discovery. If people 'like' your post it will snowball.

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 21, 2015

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Royal Jeans posted:

neat tip about stumbleupon

Nice! When you say 'like' is that a Facebook like, or something native to StumbleUpon?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

snagger posted:

Nice! When you say 'like' is that a Facebook like, or something native to StumbleUpon?

They call it likes on stumble upon, you get them when people give your entry a thumbs up. So now if I could only find an easy way to get more shares on the normal social networks...

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Royal Jeans posted:

I'm going to guess that most agencies/businesses probably won't have their love of coffee advertised on their pages anywhere. Maybe search for caffeine, I know I've heard of fueled by caffeine mentioned here and there. I think you might be better off just reaching out to agencies - I mean who doesn't love coffee?

I was never able to turn stumble upon into a worthwhile form of traffic outside of the campaign. It never seemed to bring back traffic after the ad. I choose shareable content, haircuts of this famous musician, and list of great albums. Traffic was great but then 0 for the next few months. I was hoping for...1? Didn't even get that. But maybe I did something wrong.

I'll give the fueled by coffee a try, Thanks for the tip!

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Trying Stumbleupon at the moment - people are clicking the ad alright but the likes are pretty slim. I had a look at the Cars section where I was targeting and it's all about multi million dollar dream machines - not so much about a $550 Subaru Vortex I found for sale in my town. Oh well, five days to go so it might turn around and if not, it's only the price of a coffee and a sandwhich :)

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Stumbleupon always seemed like a waste to me.

Anyways, I made a few design tweaks to my site (logo and colors). I'd love to hear all your thoughts/suggestions on how to make the site better looking — http://thesavvybackpacker.com

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
I've had a few articles find their way to StumbleUpon on their own and it's real real lovely traffic. Less than $1 CPM. 6500 hits for $4.99 in Adsense earnings. If you're going to go the paid traffic route I wouldn't make them an option unless you just like seeing your stats counter spin.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I'm starting a spinoff blog from my main one and want to use a few articles from my current blog. What's the best way to do that without taking a SEO hit? Canonical link reference? 301 redirect? Just deleting the main blog's copy?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Whats so different about the spinoff that it *needs* to be a spinoff instead of simply another category under your established blog?/section under your established website?

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

KetTarma posted:

I'm starting a spinoff blog from my main one and want to use a few articles from my current blog. What's the best way to do that without taking a SEO hit? Canonical link reference? 301 redirect? Just deleting the main blog's copy?

Write fresh content and link between the blogs. Whichever direction the links go will lend power that way - linking from the old to the new will give SEO juice to the new. Canonical links and 301s aren't relevant here, because canonical links are for variants on one page (think landing pages customized for different traffic sources) and 301s are for content on the same site that's been reorganized. Deleting the main copy and reposting elsewhere can't possibly end well.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
There's no reason you couldn't use a 301 to a new site. It's done all the time.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Zero Gravitas posted:

Whats so different about the spinoff that it *needs* to be a spinoff instead of simply another category under your established blog?/section under your established website?

My main blog is Wirebiters.com.
It's mainly aimed towards engineering-related topics and engineering projects. The goal was to transcribe all of my college notes and hobby projects into a website.

After a year, I realized that I'd been writing a lot of articles about health scams and things that really had nothing to do with engineering at all.

I felt like it was confusing since there were touchy-feely articles on kids getting sick due to anti-vaccine crazies next to calculus-heavy digital imaging algorithm lectures.

I registered Sciencebadger.com and figured I'd move my debunking-style articles over there so that the "Pinterest" crowd wasn't getting turned off by the technobabble in other articles.

Am I dumb or does this make sense?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

KetTarma posted:

Am I dumb or does this make sense?

I think it makes sense, and I commend you for your ambition - I have a hard enough time keeping up with one at the moment.

I do think engineering/health debunking are two separate niches. From what I've seen on my fb feed there's a ton of love for the science based anti vaccine articles.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I bought a yearly subscription to optin monster at the beginning of this month. I have gotten 35 subscriptions so far using it, which is triple what I had gotten in previous 5 months. Basically, having a pop up on your site asking people to subscribe is way, way better than only having the sidebar.

Just started using http://viralcontentbuzz.com which seems to be useful. You find and share relevant content from other bloggers and share it on your social accounts. You post your own content on the site and other bloggers will pick it up. You start with 10 points, it costs points to have others share your content and you earn points when you share others. It has a scheduler so you can just visit the site once a week and schedule any posts that seem relevant and then post your own content. Someone shared a post of mine on facebook yesterday and I've gotten 2,500 visitors so far. There are mostly the popular blog categories on there. I had a lot of trouble finding relevant stuff to tweet/share since I'm from a small niche.

Imgur seems like a good way to get traffic. Post relevant images or memes on their social gallery, leave a relevant comment under the image, and link back to your blog page. Got a couple hundred visits from a set of images that scored very low. Can probably see huge amounts of traffic if you get a image or meme to go score high and go viral on imgur.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Pierce and Pierce posted:

I've had a few articles find their way to StumbleUpon on their own and it's real real lovely traffic. Less than $1 CPM. 6500 hits for $4.99 in Adsense earnings. If you're going to go the paid traffic route I wouldn't make them an option unless you just like seeing your stats counter spin.

This is spot on. Paid Discovery traffic is real traffic, but it's not sticky unless your site fits certain niches. It's definitely not a paid acquisition channel and almost no paid acquisition channels are going to pay you back via adsense anyway. You need your average conversion to be a lot higher than adsense typically returns for paid acquisition to be worthwhile. It makes sense in ecommerce (with good margins) or high profit affiliate, that's about it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
This might not be the best place to ask but here we go!

I'm making a simple wordpress site for a client. I want them to be able to input questions and answers (FAQ page) but I don't want them to have to copy/paste HTML from the source of the input.

Does anyone have any ideas or plugins that allow an idiot to add new FAQ questions?

The only thing I could think of (and seems like overkill) is to:

1) Create an FAQ custom post type
2) Allow them to create new "Questions" (pages).
3) The title would be the question & the answer would be the content.
4) Display the custom taxonomy template in a way that loops through all of the "Question" posts and displays the "pages" in a list format that is SEO friendly and easy to handle. That seems to be the best option I can think of so far.

Anyone else have any ideas?

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

Moniker posted:

I'm making a simple wordpress site for a client. I want them to be able to input questions and answers (FAQ page) but I don't want them to have to copy/paste HTML from the source of the input.

Just get Gravity Forms and have the submissions create new post drafts. Also, there's a Wordpress thread in Cavern of COBOL:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161913

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

snagger posted:

Just get Gravity Forms and have the submissions create new post drafts. Also, there's a Wordpress thread in Cavern of COBOL:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161913

I did it the way I posted. Created an FAQ custom post type. Then each post under the FAQ type is a title (question) and content (answer). Then I created an archive-faq.php and it lists them all.

I appreciate the advice about that plugin. I haven't heard of it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
e; never mind, found what I needed

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 8, 2015

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Okay so I do have a question that maybe the thread can help with. If I'm trying to blog about my chosen niche while promoting affiliate products, should I set up a "storefront" type of page separate from the blog, keep it all in blog format putting affiliate links and reviews in my posts, or some hybrid of the two? Can anyone suggest some good themes for this purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snagger
Aug 14, 2004

DarthJeebus posted:

Okay so I do have a question that maybe the thread can help with. If I'm trying to blog about my chosen niche while promoting affiliate products, should I set up a "storefront" type of page separate from the blog, keep it all in blog format putting affiliate links and reviews in my posts, or some hybrid of the two? Can anyone suggest some good themes for this purpose?

I'm inclined to suggest keeping it all in blog format. The experience will feel more native to a typical reader, plus you'll get a higher conversion rate by removing the store "step" in this process:

blog post > your storefront > the real store (eg Amazon) > store's checkout funnel > purchase

There are losses at every step of the way, and for many steps in this process you may only get 1 in 100 clicking on to the next step. Remove your storefront and you'll remove one of those layers where 99 out of 100 drop out. The result of this process is also the result of a multiplicative process, so not multiplying by 0.01 is good.

There's something to be said for running a pure affiliate or dropship e-commerce operation, for sure, but I'm not sure combining the approaches is mathematically more effective than just one or the other.

• Locked thread