Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Y'all might like my driveway

Volvo is my fathers, Subaru mothers, Jetta TDI and Passat are mine. I bought the Jetta last night from a friend because the Passat has an incredible amount of issues and is going to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

EgonSpengler posted:

I wish I could have bought a Mark 7 wagon instead. The new Golfs look great and are getting awesome reviews, but it will likely be later this year before a wagon variant gets to market in North America.

My salesman told me they should start arriving on dealer lots in March.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Wagons are amazing.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Left Ventricle posted:

Wagons are amazing.

I really should have taken pictures the day I hauled truck tires in the Vibe. First trip I got 2 11R24.5s, a 275/70R22.5 and 3 245/75R16s in the fucker. I had to make 2 trips because I had nothing to strap the other 275 to the roof rack with :ohdear:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

blindjoe posted:

The powered tail gate on the e61 wagon is sort of broken. It only opens sometimes, and sometimes it won't close.
Wouldn't have been too much of problem, but every trip the trunk gets opened to get the stroller out. #justbrokenwagonthings

Had this happen on Mrs Mango's 2008 E61 (sept 2007 build). The entire hydraulic system had to be replaced. Silly me, I thought it would just have been an electric linear actuator. But NOPE it's a whole separate hydraulic system for the rear hatch. We were super duper lucky that we reported an intermittent tailgate issue twice during the last year of our extended warranty, and even though said warranty had expired a month prior BMW covered the replacement as a good will gesture. Would have been $1,500 otherwise.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

ExecuDork posted:

ad says "rebuilt" title, not salvage title

You are correct in that it's pretty much splitting hairs. Generally they're synonyms as the definitions for "totaled and then re-registered" vary by state.

Props to the guy in the ad for posting pics of the accident and damage, looks like they probably frame pulled the front bumper horn and that's it. It might be slightly compromised if it's hit in the same spot again but I'd drive it myself. And he's right, if it can be aligned and doesn't burn up tires, and all the body gaps are good then it's been fixed decently with nothing to worry about.

Gorgeous color and car, but it does seem a tad expensive. Looks like book value is in the $5k range.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Ultimate Mango posted:

Had this happen on Mrs Mango's 2008 E61 (sept 2007 build). The entire hydraulic system had to be replaced. Silly me, I thought it would just have been an electric linear actuator. But NOPE it's a whole separate hydraulic system for the rear hatch. We were super duper lucky that we reported an intermittent tailgate issue twice during the last year of our extended warranty, and even though said warranty had expired a month prior BMW covered the replacement as a good will gesture. Would have been $1,500 otherwise.

So what you're saying is my mom's $15k non-cpo pre-LCI e70 is a writeoff if that thing goes.

I am wholly unsurprised.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Sweet GTboard wagon pic, why can't I afford this: https://www.facebook.com/GTBOARD/photos/a.418639038494.196247.168786713494/10152761937428495/?type=1&permPage=1

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

So what you're saying is my mom's $15k non-cpo pre-LCI e70 is a writeoff if that thing goes.

I am wholly unsurprised.

I don't know that the E70 shares a similar system to the liftgate of the E61. That would be straying a little far from wagon chat anyways.

I actually made the mistake of buying an E53 in 2002 because it was $10k cheaper than the actual 5er wagon. I corrected that mistake in '07 with the E61. Of course I got it when the N55 was new, so who is sitting on the ticking time bomb now <evil laugh>?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

You are correct in that it's pretty much splitting hairs. Generally they're synonyms as the definitions for "totaled and then re-registered" vary by state.

Props to the guy in the ad for posting pics of the accident and damage, looks like they probably frame pulled the front bumper horn and that's it. It might be slightly compromised if it's hit in the same spot again but I'd drive it myself. And he's right, if it can be aligned and doesn't burn up tires, and all the body gaps are good then it's been fixed decently with nothing to worry about.

Gorgeous color and car, but it does seem a tad expensive. Looks like book value is in the $5k range.

The best part is when they take the photos halfway through the repair and claim that was the damage that totalled it.

Happens all the time.

Kolster
Dec 31, 2006

Why hast thou forsaken me?
Never thought I'd buy an Italian car, let alone an Italian diesel but here i am. :)

Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso Sportwagon

Love it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does it come standard with a full sized mattress in the back for all of the sex you will be betting in that thing?

If ever a car needed a pussy wagon plate this one is it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Goddrat I love those 159s. :swoon:

edit: :911: :smith:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Would trade my touring for that in a second, diesel or not.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Love it. Way up on my list of dream cars.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Man, Europe gets the cool cars.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh wow that's gorgeous. I wish we still got Alfas here in the states, I've never seen a bad looking one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That Alfa is loving beautiful.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The front plate makes it look like it's winking

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Speleothing posted:

The front plate makes it look like it's winking

It's not winking, it's coming on to you. It's all "come here big boy, slip on in and take me for a ride"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ultimate Mango posted:

Does it come standard with a full sized mattress in the back for all of the sex you will be betting in that thing?

You mean when the service mechanics are sexing your wallet?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Das Volk posted:

That's the best plate I've seen in a long time.

I captured this winner down here in Sunny Florida.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Wagons intensifying.

Newest addition is 1993 Honda Accord wagon with manual transmission. Also pictured is my 1997 Accord wagon, 2009 Mazda5 (wagon-ish), and 2014 JSW TDI.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
How do you like the Accord wagons? I assume you're basically happy with them, given there are 2 in your driveway, but I'm curious about how they drive. I see them around sometimes and I like the look.

Are they available with extra-interesting drivetrains or other options? The wikipedia page mentionsn VTEC (yo).

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've owned a bunch of Accords, mostly 4th and 5th gens. These two are the only wagons I've had. Personally, I like the 4th gens better. It's weird because the 5th gens are arguably better cars in every respect, but they're just missing something kinda magic about 4ths. They got a little too refined, or like a knife that's become a bit too dull.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

trouser chili posted:

Wagons intensifying.

Newest addition is 1993 Honda Accord wagon with manual transmission. Also pictured is my 1997 Accord wagon, 2009 Mazda5 (wagon-ish), and 2014 JSW TDI.

Aren't the 4th gens noticeably lighter?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Wrar posted:

Aren't the 4th gens noticeably lighter?

A few hundred pounds is my understanding.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Wagons intensifying.

Had good experiences with your Mazda5?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

angryhampster posted:

Had good experiences with your Mazda5?

We bought it new in 2008, it's a 2009 model. I drove it for a year and then the wife decided she liked it. Which was fine cause I was getting sick of it. Today it has 70,000 miles and we've basically don't nothing but put fluids in it. Oh, and change swaybar hardware. Endlinks and bushings, loves to eat both. I'm about to convert the front bushings to poly because they're such a pain to do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's good to know because I'm currently in the market for a wagon and right now the Mazda 6 and 5 are at the top of the list followed by the European counterparts which I'm actually kind of scared of getting into. Volvo V50s are pretty sweet so are BMW wagons but I dunno.

Also If I found a cheap and clean low mileage Caravan I'd probably have to jump on it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

That's good to know because I'm currently in the market for a wagon and right now the Mazda 6 and 5 are at the top of the list followed by the European counterparts which I'm actually kind of scared of getting into. Volvo V50s are pretty sweet so are BMW wagons but I dunno.

Also If I found a cheap and clean low mileage Caravan I'd probably have to jump on it.

I like the V50 too, but it's small and they didn't figure out a lot of the niggling issues until the end of the life cycle. You'd probably be better off with an equivalent Mazda 3 (same platform) or go one platform newer and get a current gen used Focus hatch.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

I like the V50 too, but it's small and they didn't figure out a lot of the niggling issues until the end of the life cycle. You'd probably be better off with an equivalent Mazda 3 (same platform) or go one platform newer and get a current gen used Focus hatch.

Yeah probably not going there because it's too small anyway. The Mazda 6 is actually a tad smaller than I'd like but it's an awesome wagon for the price, which is why I'll probably end up getting one over the 5 because for some reason they are in the same price range an nowhere near as nice. I like the 5, but the interior is pretty crappy in comparison to the 6.

Trouser Chili, how is the average mpg of your 5?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
They really need to refresh the mazda 5 to get in line with pretty much every other vehicle they make.. Or bring the 6 wagon out in North America :argh:

So far my options for my bmw 3 series wagon replacement are:

1) Volvo XC70
2) Subaru Outback (not even really a wagon anymore)

Everything else is either too expensive or too small. Or both. Sigh. Neither of those options are super appealing tbh.

No luck at all in finding any CTS wagons around and this go-around I want to get a new vehicle anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think the Mazda5 may be a lame duck for North America. I'm just speculating on that but they don't sell many here and so the business case might be slim. It is definitely the next car in their lineup due for an update. They did put a SkyActiv 2 liter in the Japanese version though.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Mazda5 in 2009 was pretty swank compared to it's only competition (Kia Rondo), although the Kia offered a v6 if you're in to that kind of thing. Since then the Ronda has been axed and the Mazda5 is getting rather dated today. The only update since I've bought mine, the Mazda's "Furai" body language, looks rather ungainly applied to poor thing by my eye. Oh, and they got a bit of a bump in the motor area (mine is 2.3, today they're 2.5). Still, it's a compelling argument if one is looking for something that is basically 3/4ths a minivan. They drive great and are very versatile and unlike a full minivan they're actually pretty drat tossible and fun to drive.

Slick-top and empty running 65-70mph, I get about 32mpg on real gas (no alcohol, MTBE, TAME or other bullshit). Typicall configuration for a road trip with the family I've got a roof rack (Thule squarebars with podium feet on factory mounts), car-top carrier (Yakima Skybox 16), a three-bike carrier hung on the back, three bikes hung on it, two adults, two kids, one dog, a cooler, several laptops (hooked to an inverter run off the rear cig-lighter) and all the other accoutrement that one would expect a family to have. This configuration nets about 24-25mpg running 70-80mph.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 2, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

priznat posted:

They really need to refresh the mazda 5 to get in line with pretty much every other vehicle they make.. Or bring the 6 wagon out in North America :argh:

Neither of these is happening, and the Mazda 5 is living its last year right now.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/mazda-cx-3-confirmed-mazda5-axed.html

It's a shame that wagons are such a small market in the US that most manufacturers don't even offer one. I'd really prefer a wagon over a crossover, but the wide availability of dirt cheap crossovers makes that a tough choice to make.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Neither of these is happening, and the Mazda 5 is living its last year right now.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/08/mazda-cx-3-confirmed-mazda5-axed.html

It's a shame that wagons are such a small market in the US that most manufacturers don't even offer one. I'd really prefer a wagon over a crossover, but the wide availability of dirt cheap crossovers makes that a tough choice to make.

A Mazdaspeed CX3 would be awesome.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Dammit, why does the collective American appetite for vehicles have to be so bad?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
North Americans just love body lean I guess!

Apparently Audi sells 9 Q5s for each Allroad. :sigh:

Also the heavily revamped Kia Rondo is quite nice but only available in Canada, North America wise. Took one out for a spin and while not my cup of tea I was pleasantly impressed.

priznat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Like what? Where are these dirt cheap crossovers you speak of that aren't steaming piles of poo poo?

There is no crossover that is more appealing to me than a wagon.

• Locked thread