Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, Walmart screwed up a few listings:

Smash - $41.05
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Smash-Brothers-Wii-U/39127358

Thanks for the heads up :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The swastika symbol has been around for thousands of years before Hitler appropriated it.

Oh I know. Guess that makes it OK to wear swastikas on your clothes then and that won't be a problem at all

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its okay because the Zelda swastika points to the left.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A swastika is reflected and at a 45 degree angle though so it's not quite identical to a manji/Legend of Zelda map. I really did like how they just had it in there though, it was how I learned the difference because as a seven year old kid I'd be like "why does this have the German symbol in it." I remember at one point seeing like a charge of similar symbols from different cultures that developed independently of each other too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 21, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh I know. Guess that makes it OK to wear swastikas on your clothes then and that won't be a problem at all

I think it was a hilariously failed goon venture that was trying to sell t-shirts with swastika's on them with like a 12 point font entire t-shirt encompassing explanation of why it's okay because it's really an ancient symbol that was appropriated and and and and and....

The coolest thing about Legend of Zelda is how it was so efficiently programmed that they had an entire game worth of extra memory, so the second quest was done. The difficulty boost in the second quest is pretty impressive too. It assumes you've totally mastered the first one and are very patient. If you want to play it first so you can enter ZELDA as your character's name.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Too bad I already got those other two, but scored :10bux: off NES Remix, thanks!

Looks like some of the Amiibos are $8.90 instead of $12-something, but the only ones of those I don't have are Pikachu and Diddy Kong and I don't really give a poo poo about either of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

homeless snail posted:

Its okay because the Zelda swastika points to the left.

I'm fairly certain that that makes it not a swastika, but rather a different symbol. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it being mirrored makes it mean something entirely different.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

jivjov posted:

I'm fairly certain that that makes it not a swastika, but rather a different symbol. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but it being mirrored makes it mean something entirely different.

Paper Triangle posted:

I like the part where there's a swastika in the manual (appropriately) labeled "manji" with no further explanation. You figure it out, kids at home!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Culturally it just doesn't mean the same thing in Japan, and this was back when they made games not even thinking about localization. I'm sure if they designed the original legend of Zelda from scratch today that would be a different shape, but as it is it's just a good luck symbol.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh my god, Kirby and the Rainbow's intro is adorable :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2Q5kzB3jc

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kin posted:

So am i right in thinking that the wii points card available as a reward on the uk club nintendo are only redeemable on the wii store and not the wii u store or are they one in the same?

Correct, those work only on the Wii. But at least you'll be able to buy like a quarter of the games you can get on there for a pittance on the WiiU.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

greatn posted:

Culturally it just doesn't mean the same thing in Japan, and this was back when they made games not even thinking about localization. I'm sure if they designed the original legend of Zelda from scratch today that would be a different shape, but as it is it's just a good luck symbol.

Oh yeah. I'm not saying Nintendo was trying to promote Nazism, it's just that the symbol does not have the same meaning in Asian countries and they just weren't thinking of localization back then.

I do remember them having to change the logo on one of Link's shields in OoT because it had some kind of Islamic symbol and people got offended.

What I'm saying is that I'm honestly surprised that nobody got mad and asked to get it changed after all the years you've been able to get the game, because people are both ignorant and love getting offended.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darth TNT posted:

Correct, those work only on the Wii. But at least you'll be able to buy like a quarter of the games you can get on there for a pittance on the WiiU.

I'm confused too, does this mean I can use my pointless star points to get Wii point cards to use on the Wii store of my Wii U and buy Mario galaxy? Or are those cards only for the Wii store, on the Wii?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kurtofan posted:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gammatron 64 posted:

because people are both ignorant and love getting offended.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Guess that makes it OK to wear swastikas on your clothes then and that won't be a problem at all

Tell me about it. Also, thanks for the stupid derail.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm confused too, does this mean I can use my pointless star points to get Wii point cards to use on the Wii store of my Wii U and buy Mario galaxy? Or are those cards only for the Wii store, on the Wii?

Wii point cards only work on the Wii store, as in the non-U one. MG2 is only available on the U one since the Wii didn't have digital versions of its retail games.

I think the guy meant you can buy VC stuff cheaper on the Wii store as opposed to the U one. I'm pretty sure that stuff is equally priced in Europe, but it may be different in NA.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ah, alright. I don't own a Wii so these points are 100% useless to me then, unless I want Mario golf balls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Ah, alright. I don't own a Wii so these points are 100% useless to me then, unless I want Mario golf balls.

Yes you do. Click on Wii Mode, if you own a Wiimote. You can access the Wii Shop Channel through it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You do own a Wii! It's inside your Wii U. Yes, it is that convoluted, but you can access the specific Wii store through "Wii mode" and use those points there.

e: beaten.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Awesome, thanks!

fake edit: but now I want Mario golf balls.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Ack, I'm only 70 coins from Platinum this year, I need to make sure to get that! I was assuming that buying a New 3DS would put me over into that, but I guess the new 3DSes probably won't have Club Nintendo codes in them now?

I still haven't registered my new Pokémon Omega Sapphire so I can add that, but aaaahhhhhh

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Surlaw posted:

Zelda originally came with a partial map on the NES anyway. It's good for getting started if you don't want to just be dumped in blind. The whole manual's actually really great: http://www.nesfiles.com/NES/Zelda/Zelda.pdf

I very distinctly remember reading this over and over when I got it. I remember reading it at dinner at Golden Corral, and I remember reading it in the parking lot of block buster while my parents were getting movies. Then I completely sucked at getting further than dungeon 3 because I was like 6 :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I do remember them having to change the logo on one of Link's shields in OoT because it had some kind of Islamic symbol and people got offended.

Nah it was the blocks. They had a moon that looked a lot like one of the main symbols in Islam. That's why the blocks in the Greatest Hits version and beyond have some weird thing on them (and Gannondorf coughs up green blood because ???)

Edit: it's possible that the mirror shield had a similar symbol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Nah it was the blocks. They had a moon that looked a lot like one of the main symbols in Islam. That's why the blocks in the Greatest Hits version and beyond have some weird thing on them (and Gannondorf coughs up green blood because ???)

It did indeed have a similar symbol. And Ganondorf horking up green blood instead of red was a ratings thing, iirc.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Mirror Shield has the same symbol as the blocks, so that got changed too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Some guy is streaming Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. I just tuned in for a bit but he's on 4-2 so keep that in mind

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Kurtofan posted:

God I love claymation. Bringing out so many fond Wallace and Gromit memories.

Plus admittedly its the kind of artstyle where you deliberately don't have to worry so much on polish, which is a neat way to get around the console's hardware limits, and probably hold up into the future.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And the Fire Temple music got changed as well. Thankfully, I have an old version 1.0 cart with all the offensive stuff!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Wasn't all the Ocarina "offensive" stuff changed in V1.1, which was made in Japan before 1.0 even released in NA/Europe to begin with? Whatever the reason was, it was probably an internal thing, not because some soccer mom flipped out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Tell me about it. Also, thanks for the stupid derail.

You're welcome. I wasn't even trying to make it an argument, I was just noting that I was surprised it hasn't caused them any trouble. Little Jimmy buys Zelda on VC, Jimmy's mom sees the dungeon map, doesn't know what a manji is and thinks it's a swastika and causes a big ruckus.

Like the game has been easily available for 20 years and the fact that some soccer mom hasn't given Nintendo a couple angry phone calls about it is pretty amazing.

Peewi posted:

The Mirror Shield has the same symbol as the blocks, so that got changed too.

Yeah. I just did a google search and they changed the music to the Fire Temple as well as it was an Islamic Prayer.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
The symbol on the Mirror Shield was not changed until the re-release of the game on Nintendo Gamecube.

So, every Nintendo 64 cartridge will have the original Gerudo symbol which is that star and moon looking thing.

The year 2001 happened between the release of Ocarina of Time (1998) and the Gamecube re-release (2002) so Nintendo obviously didn't want to tick off certain extreme people.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Hey, I'm still a new Wii U owner. I've been playing way too much Hyrule Warriors to post but I wanted to know if there is any sort of chat, IRC or otherwise that I can gush about how adorable Super Mario 3D World is.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Going to buy Kirby tonight after I get home from work. Pretty excited about it, it looks really good. And it's only around $40, which is pretty cheap... especially next to Bayonetta 2, which is like $80.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

So I just got an external hard drive for my Wii U cause I plan on just buying digital from here on out. Should I transfer all of my stuff from the Wii U itself to the hard drive or just put future purchases on there and leave everything where it is now?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

HJE-Cobra posted:

Ack, I'm only 70 coins from Platinum this year, I need to make sure to get that! I was assuming that buying a New 3DS would put me over into that, but I guess the new 3DSes probably won't have Club Nintendo codes in them now?

I still haven't registered my new Pokémon Omega Sapphire so I can add that, but aaaahhhhhh

Commit fraud and go buy a 3DS XL, use the CN code, then return it. You'd be helping out someone who won't be able to utilize the code and you'll also look like an rear end in a top hat when they find out, so it evens out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

For whatever reason, my 3DS is linked to club nintendo on the store (and my Nintendo ID), and I put in the number on the back of it (I don't have the box), but I still haven't gotten a survey for it or any coins.

Maybe it's because I got it used and the previous could have put it in already? I dunno. I got it not very long after it launched. I want those extra 160 points! Also it seems like my Wii is too old as well.

You know I just turned in a few Wii games at Gamestop for an Amiibo or two and I regret not swiping the club nintendo codes from them first. That is, if they had them. I think I got rid of Excite Truck, House of the Dead Overkill and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles? They might not have had them anyway. The Mario 3D World that came with my Wii U didn't seem to have a code, but the copy of Nintendo Land that came with it did. Weird.

Oh well, my paycheck comes tomorrow so I'm gonna go out and get Captain Toad and maybe Wii Fit U.

I already have Smash, MK8, 3D World, NSMBU + Luigi, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 so I can't think of any other essentials. I might get DK Tropical Freeze at some point even though I've never played a DK Country game before surprisingly. I'm not sure if I'm sold on Hyrule Warriors because I have a feeling I'll loose interest in it fast. Might get Wind Waker as someone borrowed my Gamecube copy and never gave it back. Can't really think of any others I forgot to list. Did I just list like the consoles' entire library?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Why are Pokemon Diamond and Pearl eligible but not Platinum?? What sense does that make?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

For whatever reason, my 3DS is linked to club nintendo on the store (and my Nintendo ID), and I put in the number on the back of it (I don't have the box), but I still haven't gotten a survey for it or any coins.

Maybe it's because I got it used and the previous could have put it in already? I dunno. I got it not very long after it launched. I want those extra 160 points! Also it seems like my Wii is too old as well.

You know I just turned in a few Wii games at Gamestop for an Amiibo or two and I regret not swiping the club nintendo codes from them first. That is, if they had them. I think I got rid of Excite Truck, House of the Dead Overkill and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles? They might not have had them anyway. The Mario 3D World that came with my Wii U didn't seem to have a code, but the copy of Nintendo Land that came with it did. Weird.

Oh well, my paycheck comes tomorrow so I'm gonna go out and get Captain Toad and maybe Wii Fit U.

I already have Smash, MK8, 3D World, NSMBU + Luigi, Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 so I can't think of any other essentials. I might get DK Tropical Freeze at some point even though I've never played a DK Country game before surprisingly. I'm not sure if I'm sold on Hyrule Warriors because I have a feeling I'll loose interest in it fast. Might get Wind Waker as someone borrowed my Gamecube copy and never gave it back. Can't really think of any others I forgot to list. Did I just list like the consoles' entire library?

For the 3DS, there would be a club Nintendo code in the box that gave you the coins just like a game - registering the serial just extends the warranty.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

For the 3DS, there would be a club Nintendo code in the box that gave you the coins just like a game - registering the serial just extends the warranty.

That sucks because I have no idea where the box may be. I don't know if I even ever got the box.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Japanese Rainbow Curse website's uploadin a bunch of cute comics. Apparently they don't mind people knowing Claycia's design because she's in some :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
And gameXplain has uploaded the first world or some levels from it!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZLCn6eOKOyHg_kBpyzdJH0H7B4vbIkrk&spfreload=10

• Locked thread