Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Citizen Tayne posted:

my food comes from he butt. lol

he butt, master of the grocery universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tbf if there were a grocery store here named "but" I wold shop there exclusively.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
by the power of brown poop! *sells cheese to Texans*

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what percentage of their sales is ironic, I wonder

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

As a Millennial I posted:

tbf if there were a grocery store here named "but" I wold shop there exclusively.

I only shop at S.H.E. Vag

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
h e butt is a good grocery store the one near me has an awesome tortillaria where you can buy good fresh tortillas and buñuelos and other mexican bread things fresh each day

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

kwinkles posted:

h e butt is a good grocery store the one near me has an awesome tortillaria where you can buy good fresh tortillas and buñuelos and other mexican bread things fresh each day

lol "tortillaria"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont care what you nerds are talking about but i just drank 2 beers and a ardberg and a gin and tonic

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

kwinkles posted:

lol butt

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

a nigga who shop h e butt a shameful nigga

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fritz posted:

I'm back in mountain view this week and i noticed some place called 'quixey' has a couple big offices right downtown and ive never heard of those people

also there was a free wifi called 'company (xxx) is hiring' which i thought was pretty clever

they used to have photos of every single member of their staff right in a front window facing Castro

it would've been creepy as hell if those nerds didn't look so goofy

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

agreed, eat the rich

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm going to take that as him volunteering to have his net worth adjusted down

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Munkeymon posted:

I'm going to take that as him volunteering to have his net worth adjusted down

i want to road haul him until he's nothing but a pelvis wearing a belt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a belt?! oh the luxury

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that was a weird episode

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

that was a weird episode

the few remaining men will exist as studs, breeding in the cow pasture, or they can go up to the nearest suicide center where they'll be quietly gassed to death

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lyft is dropping their giant engine-choking plush mustaches in favor of Teh Glowstache

While still pink, the small, plastic mustaches are designed to float on drivers' dashboards using magnets and at night will emit a soft pink glow.

not surprising considering i haven't seen the old stache in at least a year

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

fritz posted:

I'm back in mountain view this week and i noticed some place called 'quixey' has a couple big offices right downtown and ive never heard of those people

we actually only have one office, the old one (the one on castro street proper, as opposed to half a block off it) is just waiting for someone else to lease it

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they used to have photos of every single member of their staff right in a front window facing Castro

it would've been creepy as hell if those nerds didn't look so goofy

not every member of the staff, just an arbitrarily chosen subset

please don't ask me why they chose the people they did, I have no idea

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
e: lol this ain't cjs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uber gets enough money for infinity lawyers

quote:

Bloomberg is reporting that Uber has raised $1.6 million in convertible debt, a loan that will convert into an equity stake in the company. The money comes from Goldman Sachs Wealth Management clients, rich people who are more than happy to provide the startup with capital now in order to get their hands on shares before the company goes public. Uber was valued at $40 billion this past December when it raised $1.2 billion in venture capital. The folks backing this loan believe it will be worth many times that at its inevitable IPO.
it is nice that there's a way to make your gently caress you money without even going public now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

these investors do all realize the whole "needs to take over the entire north american taxi market, and then some, to match their valuation" thing right?

do they think that'll actually happen?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that paragraph implies uber is worth more than fb

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

these investors do all realize the whole "needs to take over the entire north american taxi market, and then some, to match their valuation" thing right?

iirc with the last round they were approaching a valuation that is over half the value of the entire US trucking industry

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

iirc with the last round they were approaching a valuation that is over half the value of the entire US trucking industry

thats a lot of dudes trying to fit a pallet into the back of their toyota previa

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sagebrush posted:

yes. no. those are not necessarily exclusive considerations

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

for some reason the "smartest" economists we have seem to think that "the economy isn't zero sum" also means "anything can be worth infinity dollars"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

finance people aren't economists, mostly

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

finance people aren't economists, mostly

yes but they like to read newspaper articles summarizing things economists said once

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

they're probably pitching these big investors on a long game involving self-driving vehicles taking over all transportation, including over-the-road freight

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sagebrush posted:

my dad thinks so because taxis are the mafia

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

last I heard uber's $40 billion approached/exceeded the size of the global taxi market

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Spime Wrangler posted:

they're probably pitching these big investors on a long game involving self-driving vehicles taking over all transportation, including over-the-road freight

uber recently released some post crowing about how their SF operation is now pulling in 3x the revenue of the traditional taxi fleet.

which sounds like they are pulling off the impossible until you realize that they are conveniently leaving off the factoid that traditional taxis have seen in excess of a 70% drop in revenue since uber and whatnot started operations. I would expect black car services took a similar thwacking

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

if artificial intelligence is ever good enough to replace basic blue-collar workers (e.g. drivers, factory, basic service, dock-hands, etc.) there will either be a universal income or bloody class war with the rich deploying automated police buzzsaws

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

all we need to complete the cyberpunk dystopia now is the street samurai and freelance hackers

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

duTrieux. posted:

if artificial intelligence is ever good enough to replace basic blue-collar workers (e.g. drivers, factory, basic service, dock-hands, etc.) there will either be a universal income or bloody class war with the rich deploying automated police buzzsaws

my bets are on the latter :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
is heb like woodmans in wisconsin where its the size of a superwalmart but they only have groceries and have like a dozen different brands of every food item and a liquor section that is literally a regular sized liquor store put inside the store with its own entrance doors?

• Locked thread