Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Even if we are struggling just because of the coaching change, it's ridiculous to be the last team in the SEC without an indoor facility.

Especially in Florida where weather is a factor that affects so many practice sessions.

Also kids like shiny new things.

But it's Florida and the weather is always good enough to practice outside!

*cataclysmic thunder and lightning with frog-strangling rain every day at 4pm during Summer A/B*

:eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Thoguh posted:

News:

Views: Of loving course it was.

An official letter of apology is on it's way to Iowa State AS WE SPEAK.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LeeMajors posted:

*cataclysmic thunder and lightning with frog-strangling rain every day at 4pm during Summer A/B*

To be fair, the seemingly world-ending Floridian summer thunderstorms tend to end after about 30 minutes like clockwork. You really can set your watch to them. "Nice day, isn't it?" "Yep... oh wait, is it around three or four---" *BOOSH, clear sky to downpour*

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

As someone that played organized football for 8 years in the August Florida heat and humidity. gently caress yea those boys need an indoor facility.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
While we're talking Florida football and the weather.....a reminder that the University of Florida has played only two (2) non-conference regular season games outside of SEC territory in the last 30 years.

edit: and zero since like 1991

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 21, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mahoning posted:

While we're talking Florida football and the weather.....a reminder that the University of Florida has played only two (2) non-conference regular season games outside of SEC territory in the last 30 years.

Don't they play Michigan in a year or two at Cowboys Stadium?

Or no, that was Texas.

Or no, I'm dumb it was Florida, in 2017.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

computer parts posted:

Don't they play Michigan in a year or two at Cowboys Stadium?

Or no, that was Texas.

Or no, I'm dumb it was Florida, in 2017.

Technically playing a game in Cowboys Stadium counts as being in "SEC territory." Kind of like how playing FSU counts as playing in "SEC territory."

edit:
20 schools (18 d-1) are being investigated by the NCAA for academic fraud.
http://chronicle.com/article/NCAA-Says-It-s-Investigating/151315/

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 21, 2015

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Dallas doesn't count as SEC territory. Once UF plays that Cowboys Classic game, they can go another quarter century without leaving SEC country.

Seriously though, most UF fans wish Gator would play better OOC games, but I can't blame the AD too much for not doing it. Although with the new playoff season, you can take more risks with an early-season OOC loss, so hopefully there will be more decent OOC games for Gator.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Mahoning posted:

It wasn't just sec territory. They haven't left Florida for a OOC game since 91 and won't until that Dallas game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

At least Alabama goes to Atlanta for a neutral site game once a year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I thought a school like Alabama would have a similar track record for OOC games, but no. In that same time period they've played like 9 or 10 OOC games outside of SEC territory.

The crazy thing for Florida is, even if you count bowl games outside of SEC territory, there's only like 4 in the past 30 years. I think they played in the Hawaii Bowl, some bowl in Anaheim, and then the BCS Championship game in AZ and another Fiesta Bowl in AZ.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Nah Bama fans travel well so they go everywhere.

We all want to escape Alabama

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

It's the Pennsylvania of the South

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
In the past 70 years, Florida has traveled north of the Mason-Dixon line once. 1965 to play Northwestern in Evanston.

VVV Florida not Alabama. Alabama traveled to State College like 3 times from like '85-'90

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 21, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Mahoning posted:

In the past 70 years, Florida has traveled north of the Mason-Dixon line once. 1965 to play Northwestern in Evanston.
Alabama did a home-at-home with Penn State in 2010 and 2011

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

an adult beverage posted:

Dallas doesn't count as SEC territory. Once UF plays that Cowboys Classic game, they can go another quarter century without leaving SEC country.

Dallas doesn't count as SEC territory because it falls within the radius of Jerryworld's "Zone of worship to soulless capitalism"

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Fluffdaddy posted:

Didn't you talk poo poo about "flyover" states (without a hint of irony) a little while back?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Noctone posted:

Didn't you talk poo poo about "flyover" states (without a hint of irony) a little while back?
The difference between Alabama and a 'flyover' state is Alabama produces more and better football recruits

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Noctone posted:

The south is pretty great. The quote you posted was a joke. Update your excel sheet accordingly.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Alabama is also beautiful. Flyover states are all prairie, sand and potatoes.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

Strawberry Panda posted:

Alabama is also beautiful. Flyover states are all prairie, sand and potatoes.

Lookie here pal, we have corn too. :colbert:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

JT Jag posted:

The difference between Alabama and a 'flyover' state is Alabama produces more and better football recruits

The difference between Alabama and a 'flyover' state is that a flyover state is between two things of value. Alabama can't even get close to that greatness.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

The difference between Alabama and a 'flyover' state is that a flyover state is between two things of value. Alabama can't even get close to that greatness.
Alabama borders Florida, one of the three most valuable states in the nation. In terms of recruiting.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
An Oregon fan mocks Alabama's incomprehension of greatness itt

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Raku posted:

An Oregon fan mocks Alabama's incomprehension of greatness itt

did y'all wind up claiming a national title for this year too? polls before the bowl games are played don't count anymore

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Alabama also has Doobie's Dog House. A national treasure.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: Oh man I'm looking at Nebraska's and I was reminded of their ASU loss back in the 90s. I only remember it because some local told me his story about driving out to Arizona to watch the game and that, boy, I must've been so happy to watch Nebraska lose, being an Arizona fan and all...

As a Phoenix-born lad I went to ASU games in the 90s and man that game was awesome to be at. Place was over half-red and we expected nothing and got so many safeties. Sometimes I'll be flipping past FSNAZ and the replay will be on-- I watch it every time.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Qwijib0 posted:

As a Phoenix-born lad I went to ASU games in the 90s and man that game was awesome to be at. Place was over half-red and we expected nothing and got so many safeties. Sometimes I'll be flipping past FSNAZ and the replay will be on-- I watch it every time.
I've never actually seen the game. Growing up in Tucson, we didn't really watch ASU games outside of the Territorial Cup. Nebraska fans are loving crazy, don't know the difference between the two Arizona schools, and will go anywhere to see their team, are the lessons I took from that conversation.

I can't imagine what the world would've been like if they'd won that Rose Bowl, though. End Times kind of poo poo.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2rrJAcysQ

roll tide yall

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines

vyst posted:

Alabama also has Doobie's Dog House. A national treasure.

It also has Dreamland BBQ which was blessed by Almighty God and is therefore pure and just.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Halah posted:

It also has Dreamland BBQ which was blessed by Almighty God and is therefore pure and just.

Dreamland is mediocre. :colbert:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha what the hell

E: Jesus christ, it just hit me. i haven't seen that movie in forever.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 22, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
ESPN is suing Notre dame, alleging that they're hiding police incident reports involving athletes.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The only thing that could be better than ESPN turning their back on ND would be Pope Francis announcing he's a Michigan/USC/Bama fan.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Scarf posted:

The only thing that could be better than ESPN turning their back on ND would be Pope Francis announcing he's a Michigan/USC/Bama fan.

Fairly certain he's a Penn State fan.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Scarf posted:

Pope Francis might actually come do a Mass at Michigan Stadium this fall. The Archdiocese of Detroit is quietly pushing for it when he comes to the United States.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Say 5 Hail Marys, 3 Our Fathers, and jingle 10 keys

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Hopefully it's a later mass so you can get more tailgating time in.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Michigan fans still pine for the days of Benedict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Groucho Marxist posted:

Say 5 Hail Marys, 3 Our Fathers, and jingle 10 keys

Father Holtz is now hearing confessions...

• Locked thread